Let me be positive for a minute...

TexArcher

1 minute ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

This is the least upset I've been watching a Texas game in quite awhile.  Not thrilled with Orlando getting out-coached; however, two Top 10 teams went toe-to-toe and one of them had to lose.  

All that being said, I'll probably be pissed if we lose two more games before the bowl game.

I feel the same way - I'm disappointed more than mad. I'm also curious about what we need to improve on to win these types of games. The easy answer is a better secondary, but we've been bringing in talent. We have young players who are going to take their lumps. But usually you'd see ups and downs. We stank tonight. I don't remember a corner making a good play. The safeties looked better, but not great. Brandon Jones had a good game, but Sterns was missing and Foster was up and down. Our corners are under performing and that seems to be a pattern.

On offense, we are missing a good h-back/tight end and rb depth. And better or at least more consistent play calling.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

1) LSU is better than I thought. They came into our house and did exactly what they had to do to get the W. Hats off to them.

2) we aren’t there yet, but we’re almost there. I’m really excited to see how the rest of the season unfolds.

Hopefully Boyce plays less. With that being said, we’re going to no lube the big 12. Can’t fucking wait for the OU game. We’re going to fuck them up. 

27 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Sam is a jedi?  Sam needs to learn to get rid of the ball and not take 10yr sacks.  He also had some poor under thrown passes and is very lucky he didn’t get picked off several times.  He needs to study Burrow tape and learn. 

Only 70 fewer yards than Burrow. Sam goes for 600 tonight against our D unfortunately 

12 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

I feel the same way - I'm disappointed more than mad. I'm also curious about what we need to improve on to win these types of games. The easy answer is a better secondary, but we've been bringing in talent. We have young players who are going to take their lumps. But usually you'd see ups and downs. We stank tonight. I don't remember a corner making a good play. The safeties looked better, but not great. Brandon Jones had a good game, but Sterns was missing and Foster was up and down. Our corners are under performing and that seems to be a pattern.

On offense, we are missing a good h-back/tight end and rb depth. And better or at least more consistent play calling.

I'm with you. Mad at halftime, dissapointed after.

17 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

Everyone keeps focusing on the secondary, and the corners are not good by any means, but we got no pressure tonight unless we brought six. 

Graham is a JAG and while Roach has some good plays here and there, he’s not consistently good at all. Coburn has potential, but he’s still young. Our DL is not very talented and the talent we do have isn’t ready to dominate yet. 

having to bring extra numbers to get pressure, or not bringing extra and letting the QB sit there all day will kill most secondaries.  Just look at how much LSU’s backfield full of five stars still struggled tonight. 

Offense scores 38, they should reasonably expect to win, so I'm fine with the offense even though you can see major room for improvement.  That just leaves the defense, which replaced 8 of 11 starters.  Seems Orlando could have adjusted to help on the outside where we got torched, and less aggression in the middle to help defend underneath.  It wasn't what I hoped, but it is probably right about where I feared we would be. We will continue to improve throughout the season.  I think ultimately we will be fine and challenge for the Big XII.  Do that, and there is a possibility the only smudge on the year is a single loss to LSU.  A lot of good things can happen to a team with that record at the end of the year. Things are not fucked.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

Felt like the corners won very few deep jump balls tonight, as opposed to LSU's. Part of that was Burrow placing his deep throws really well.

Nevertheless, I'm trying not to think about the Tylan Wallace vs. Kobe Boyce matchup that'll happen in a couple of weeks.

2 minutes ago, Ifiwaspresident said:

Offense scores 38, they should reasonably expect to win, so I'm fine with the offense even though you can see major room for improvement.  That just leaves the defense, which replaced 8 of 11 starters.  Seems Orlando could have adjusted to help on the outside where we got torched, and less aggression in the middle to help defend underneath.  It wasn't what I hoped, but it is probably right about where I feared we would be. We will continue to improve throughout the season.  I think ultimately we will be fine and challenge for the Big XII.  Do that, and there is a possibility the only smudge on the year is a single loss to LSU.  A lot of good things can happen to a team with that record at the end of the year. Things are not fucked.

The glass-half-full view is that we have much more room for improvement than LSU's offense. We left more on the field than they did and still had a chance. On defense, it was a different story.

40 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

Agreed, but Herman seems to lose at least one game he shouldn’t. Like okie lite last year. Hopefully he fixes it.

I've said this before: Baylor is the one that worries me.  ou, Okie St, and @ Iowa St are all obviously dangerous games.  But @ Baylor is the week after @ Iowa St.  If we win (or lose) a tight game in Ames, we could be ripe for a letdown game in Waco.

Tom's teams do have a habit of playing up or down to the level of their opponents.  If he's going to do great things, he's got to figure out how to maul the teams we're supposed to maul every time.

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Look.  I thought we'd win, too.  LSU, and Burrow, are better than I thought.  The top tier in college football is Bama, Clemson, LSU, and Ohio State.

Yes, our secondary got torched.  It was embarrassing.  

But here's the good news: there's only one team left on our schedule who can light us up like that.  And they probably will.  But they don't have LSU's defense.  

I'm not saying we're gonna win out.  But I am saying that you bitches predicting 7-5 in the game thread are bitches.  Just like you were bitches saying it was over at 20-7.

This team fought its ass off tonight.  Sam put up 461 yards, 5 touchdowns, and 0 turnovers against the best D on our schedule.  Jesus Christ, man.

And in spite of all our secondary woes, they beat us by 7.  And we dropped 7 in the first quarter.

Yes, Okie Light and some others will score points on us.  But what the fuck are they gonna do about Sam?

Put me down for 10 wins.

Nothing is fucked.

every position group for LSU is better than ours and we could have won, we won't face that again.

2nd game of the season, better opponent than I thought, Sam and offense never laid down. D will improve...offense is alright alright alright...

Wish we had won but it don’t mean shit if we take care of our conference business (and we will). Lots of great offenses ahead of us and lots of much shittier defenses.

Sure...wish we had won but I’m not all that bothered by this.

I’m actually more bothered by the noise coming out of the Jumbotron. Got damn it’s annoying...

4 hours ago, Message Board User said:

But our lack of quality DB play is going to be millstone around our neck the rest of the season - we sure could use that Stingley fella.  Hopefully the light turns on, soon, for the young DBs.

They tried a different group tonight too with Brandon at nickel. can't tell if it's throwing shit at the wall or if that was thought to be the best strategy. There were plays with presnap motion designed for us to declare coverage. Ossai would be aligned on a back out wide. Burrow never snapped it, but hed always motion the back back by him and ossai would reenter the box. 

I'm not sure if it was a giveaway, but Jalen Green was operating inside two of the safety trio on slot receivers. never caught if it was a certain guy, but I noticed him and Kobe at times aligning inside safeties. 

good god what a bunch of bitches.  We took a great team to the wire in a highly entertaining game, #9 lost to #6 by a TD.  And you still have little sissies bellyaching about an early season loss.  Our 2nd string RB is a QB and our 3rd string RB is doing double duty laying rebar for the endzone expansion.  Either root for the team or go be a fucking aggy for someone else, I had a blast watching them even if we lost

• Like 8

4 hours ago, NateHitch said:

good god what a bunch of bitches.  We took a great team to the wire in a highly entertaining game, #9 lost to #6 by a TD.  And you still have little sissies bellyaching about an early season loss.  Our 2nd string RB is a QB and our 3rd string RB is doing double duty laying rebar for the endzone expansion.  Either root for the team or go be a fucking aggy for someone else, I had a blast watching them even if we lost

celebrating a loss is the most aggy god damn thing ever.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

LSU has the best DBs in the country and Sam threw for over 400 on them, YAC and respect to the WRs though. Duvernay is the new Quan! The Eagles has landed. Wish we had a big bruiser blocker like Andrew Beck, need to groom Brewer into that role, maybe even Roach aka Henry Melton.

UT lost the first half for reasons

1. the unforgivable Ingram drop

2. get the ball again , thanks Ossai, and no FG

3. too many deep lob prayers which normally our tall WRs snatch, but LSU DBS are not Big12 DBs -  they are NFL draft picks and will knock down these lobs.  We threw perhaps 4-7 of these dumb passes which killed drives.  Sams' long ball isn't the best and wasn't on tonight at all. The short passing game where the WRs do major YAC --- that is Texas and worked very well in the second half.  DC Beck and Herman took too many risks in H1 on offense, too cavalier in their game plan, but that goes with his personality and will never change.

• Like 1

I said our young CB's would get burned early and often yet no one wanted to hear it. You have to remember though even Huff, Vasher and Ross got burned plenty when they were young too. And don't even get me started on Carrington Byndum, and he turned out all right. The fact is Charlie left us high & dry in key positions and it's still going to take another year or two before Texas has top 5 talent and experience at all positions. Roach and Graham are good run stoppers, but they're not Tony Brackens. I'll take Dave Aranda over Todd Orlando too, but unfortunately that didn't happen.

The future is bright though. This team fight their hearts out last night and came up just a but short. There's always the sky is falling by Texas fans after a loss, but the reality is LSU has more talent. No way in hell a Charlie Strong team gives that kind of effort. Relax, Charlie could still be our coach.

7 hours ago, TexArcher said:

I've said this before: Baylor is the one that worries me.  ou, Okie St, and @ Iowa St are all obviously dangerous games.  But @ Baylor is the week after @ Iowa St.  If we win (or lose) a tight game in Ames, we could be ripe for a letdown game in Waco.

On the flip sidd Baylor has OU the week before us so they could just as easily have a letdown.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

22 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

I just wish we had Kalil Mack type of DE that can single handedly put pressure cuz Burrow had enough time to set up a tent.

Other than that, as disheartening it was to lose, this gave our young defense so much needed experience.

Lot of troof in this.  I didn't like Orlando's scheme, but it sure would be nice if we had an absolute uber-talented stud somewhere, anywhere, on defense that can straight up win one-on-one matchups consistently.

Hopefully, one or two of our young DBs will turn into our own Denzel Ward or Jamal Adams or one of our 2020 DL class is the next Quinnen Williams, who almost singlehandedly beat LSU's entire O line last year's Bama-LSU game.

Edited by Message Board User

It always sucks to lose, especially when we had the chance to win. Ingram's drop was huge but i don't put the loss on that. The defensive coaching decisions at the end of the first half put us in a hole we couldn't climb out of. In a game where both teams are good, the team that makes the least mistakes usually comes out on top. That was the case last night. We are still a young team and will only get better. 1st rule of college football... if you're going to lose, do it early and to a higher ranked team. We can win out and still be where we want to be at the end of the year. 

8 hours ago, Ifiwaspresident said:

Agree but here seems to be an expectation that we will beat both OU and OSU both QBs can do the same thing to our secondary unless things change dramatically in scheme and execution. We are a good team but need to get significantly better to win out and take the conference. Nobody needs to be talking about seeing Cramping Tigers again this year in the playoffs until we actually take care of our business and shore up our weaknesses a shit ton.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Everyone keeps focusing on the secondary, and the corners are not good by any means, but we got no pressure tonight unless we brought six. 

Graham is a JAG and while Roach has some good plays here and there, he’s not consistently good at all. Coburn has potential, but he’s still young. Our DL is not very talented and the talent we do have isn’t ready to dominate yet. 

having to bring extra numbers to get pressure, or not bringing extra and letting the QB sit there all day will kill most secondaries.  Just look at how much LSU’s backfield full of five stars still struggled tonight. 

No one generates a rush with 3 defensive linemen aligned inside the tackles

This was always a game about who made fewer mistakes. They simply executed better.

If KI catches that softball TD pass and Brandon Jones hangs onto that INT in our end zone, it’s a completely different game. We’d probably be talking about how Tom Herman is an aggressive genius, and Orgeron is a fat retard who had to resort to flopping to prevent his talented defense from collapsing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, horngasm19 said:

delusional sunshine pumpers.

we aren't going to even sniff a conference championship with coach RETARD who doesn't take easy field goals.

So we lost game two by one score, so everybody who is not delusional should instantly write off the entire season as a failure? 

4 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

You, like many here, have bought into preseason ranking bullshit. Buying into SECSECSEC nonsense to feel better about a terrible coaching job is very head in the sand aggy.

LSU is not a great team, not by a long shot. The season will met this out.

Ok. Who are the great teams then? 

11 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Look.  I thought we'd win, too.  LSU, and Burrow, are better than I thought.  The top tier in college football is Bama, Clemson, LSU, and Ohio State.

Yes, our secondary got torched.  It was embarrassing.  

But here's the good news: there's only one team left on our schedule who can light us up like that.  And they probably will.  But they don't have LSU's defense.  

I'm not saying we're gonna win out.  But I am saying that you bitches predicting 7-5 in the game thread are bitches.  Just like you were bitches saying it was over at 20-7.

This team fought its ass off tonight.  Sam put up 461 yards, 5 touchdowns, and 0 turnovers against the best D on our schedule.  Jesus Christ, man.

And in spite of all our secondary woes, they beat us by 7.  And we dropped 7 in the first quarter.

Yes, Okie Light and some others will score points on us.  But what the fuck are they gonna do about Sam?

Put me down for 10 wins.

Nothing is fucked.

Plus we are all still really great friends 

• Like 1