Chappaquidick

TahoeHorn

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2018/04/04/the_grisly_history_of_chappaquiddick_136698.html

Will you watch the movie?  Do you remember Chappaquidick?  How did you view it then?  What about now?

I thought then and I think now, that there are few acts by a politician that I consider more disqualifying than what Kennedy did.  I was stunned and disgusted that he continued to have a political career.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2018/04/04/the_grisly_history_of_chappaquiddick_136698.html

Will you watch the movie?  Do you remember Chappaquidick?  How did you view it then?  What about now?

I thought then and I think now, that there are few acts by a politician that I consider more disqualifying than what Kennedy did.  I was stunned and disgusted that he continued to have a political career.

I wasn't around when it happened, but I too was stunned that Ted Kennedy continued to have a career after that.

And now, we have Trump, so none of this shit matters.

It's all water under the bridge.

With a girl drowning under it.  Or something.

• Like 1

Just now, phdhorn said:

From National Lampoon about '71 or so, never forgot it:

chaptedhaha23em.jpg

Goddamn right.

At a law school halloween party, a couple showed up in costumes of (1) him in a suit, loosened tie, half empty whiskey bottle, (2) her in a cocktail dress, all white-death face makeup, seaweed draped on her.  Yep, they were Ted and Mary Jo.  Got some good laughs.

Meh, it took care of the immediate problem.  Kennedy's presidential career was completely shot after that.  So it worked well enough.  I didn't give a flying shit if he got elected 25 times over in Massachusetts, it's their problem.  And his influence pissed out through the 70's with the conservative upmovement in the 80's, so he essentially was just a minority windbag for most of the rest of his career.

There's a fascinating link between Mary Jo Kopechne, Bobby Baker, LBJ, Kennedy, JFK, and the East German spy Ellen Rometsch.  I'll  try to follow up on it later.

1 minute ago, phdhorn said:

Meh, it took care of the immediate problem.  Kennedy's presidential career was completely shot after that.  So it worked well enough.  I didn't give a flying shit if he got elected 25 times over in Massachusetts, it's their problem.  And his influence pissed out through the 70's with the conservative upmovement in the 80's, so he essentially was just a minority windbag for most of the rest of his career.

There's a fascinating link between Mary Jo Kopechne, Bobby Baker, LBJ, Kennedy, JFK, and the East German spy Ellen Rometsch.  I'll  try to follow up on it later.

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

30 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

Righteous indignation aside, didn't you vote for Donald Trump?

I remember the incident, haven't seen the movie, and likely won't.  The Kennedys seem like they were a bunch of drunken horn-dogs who were rich enough to get out of all their problems. 

I do know that before it happened, my mother was as staunch a supporter of the Kennedys as you would find.  Afterwards she said she never support Teddy for anything.

Joe was a crook.  JFK had massive support, much of which was justified.  Bobby might have been a better man but almost certainly a lesser politician.  Ted was not without a heart but was hardly an intellect, and pretty much ruined the family legacy.

3 hours ago, TahoeHorn said:

One the more interesting parodies was National Lampoon in early 70's. VW had run some sort of commercial that showed a VW Beetle floating on water. Lampoon created a parody that said something like "If Ted Kennedy drove a VW he would be president". VW sued and won..

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AUinHsv said:

One the more interesting parodies was National Lampoon in early 70's. VW had run some sort of commercial that showed a VW Beetle floating on water. Lampoon created a parody that said something like "If Ted Kennedy drove a VW he would be president". VW sued and won..

IIRC the issue never went to print.

5 hours ago, F250 said:

Chappaquidick was way before my birth and I am no spring chicken. I wonder how many people here are actually old enough to remember this incident.

I am, and I never thought it was accident.  She was gonna roll that loser so he killed her ass.

Roll him on what? He was a drunk, entitled piece of shit from an American royalty family of douchebags who didn't give a shit about the life of a peasant. Fuck the Kennedys all day, but come on, this isn't some grand fucking conspiracy. It's a powerful family of narcissistic assholes protecting their own.

20 hours ago, F250 said:

Chappaquidick was way before my birth and I am no spring chicken. I wonder how many people here are actually old enough to remember this incident.

This.  I was born in 73 and have worked in politics in DC my entire adult life. She's dead. He's dead.  Newsflash:  Rich powerful people can literally get away with murder.  Who fucking cares?

What's next?  Nan Britton and Warren G. Harding?  Jesus. 

Edited by Bateshorn

On 4/4/2018 at 1:48 PM, phdhorn said:

Well she was fairly hot, so I'm sure us Shaggy Surly detectives can figure it out.  Not sure how fascinated I am though...

6 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

This.  I was born in 73 and have worked in politics in DC my entire adult life. She's dead. He's dead.  Newsflash:  Rich powerful people can literally get away with murder.  Who fucking cares?

What's next?  Nan Britton and Warren G. Harding?  Jesus. 

Well when we have threads like this stormy-daniels-60-minutes-special getting so much attention...

I don't get some of the posts on this thread either.  A movie has just been released about a reallyinfluential episode at the time, one which influenced the course of Presidential history, and one of the most publicly well-known scandals in American political history.  It was mammoth in its scope and attention.  

Posts that seem to imply in some weird way that it's still relevant as a scandal today are completely, utterly missing the point.  The point is a movie has come out dealing with what, at the time, was a significant thing and had a significant impact.  You might as well say, "what the fuck's so important about Lincoln's assassination now?  I mean, they're all dead."

What?  The?  Fuck?

And the most puzzling is, "well I wasn't alive then... so big deal."  Whathefuck?  Okay, you weren't around.  I was like 12.  It was still a huge deal.  You being born or some fluid in a sperm sac doesn't change that.

It's relevant because it was a real, historical, and actually diabolical thing.  It's worth a fucking movie, at least.  And it's a fascinating story.

Honest to god, is history for some of you only shit you think is relevant?  

Anyway, uh, this is a movie.  No more, no less.  DEFINITELY worth discussing.  The rest I just have no fucking idea where some of you are coming from...