Jimmy Carter

cactusflinthead

Lots of road closures here in Atlanta the last couple of days to get dignitaries to and from the viewings.  Refreshingly, I haven't heard a single complaint about it; which in Atlanta is saying something.  Jimmy has also traveled with her.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

That above video of him on the commercial flight.  Hannibal Buress has a great standup bit about meeting him on a similar flight where he talked about Jimmy greeting everyone.   And it's scathing, but really funny and has a warm undertone.  A mutual comic friend we have in common says President Carter called Hannibal (albeit somewhat indirectly) to say how funny he and his family thought the bit was (apparently a staffer had shown them the clip).  It was a cool story to hear that Carter could appreciate humor at his own expense.  Reminded me of when H.W. had Dana Carvey to the White House.  H.W. was not a funny man.  George W. is actually really funny in real life.  But H.W. could appreciate a ribbing at his expense and was enough of a man to take it with a smile.  Same with Carter, Obama, even Reagan.  

Trump, however, is going to eventually have Jimmy Kimmel murdered.  

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

That above video of him on the commercial flight.  Hannibal Buress has a great standup bit about meeting him on a similar flight where he talked about Jimmy greeting everyone.   And it's scathing, but really funny and has a warm undertone.  A mutual comic friend we have in common says President Carter called Hannibal (albeit somewhat indirectly) to say how funny he and his family thought the bit was (apparently a staffer had shown them the clip).  It was a cool story to hear that Carter could appreciate humor at his own expense.  Reminded me of when H.W. had Dana Carvey to the White House.  H.W. was not a funny man.  George W. is actually really funny in real life.  But H.W. could appreciate a ribbing at his expense and was enough of a man to take it with a smile.  Same with Carter, Obama, even Reagan.  

Trump, however, is going to eventually have Jimmy Kimmel murdered.  

Kimmel's Italian.  He'll have Trump murdered first.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Posted (edited)

i was born right at the end of his presidency.  it would have been neat to see the machinations that brought him to power.  a very 'non-presidential' feeling president 

edit: mechanations isn't a word?  how long have i been saying it like that?

Edited by BehoId, The Underminer!

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

All of the “talk” he “walked” is shit you hate.  He spent the last third of his life building houses for poor people, which goes against everything you stand for (at least judging by what you’ve posted on this site).

No, I hate the talk.  He walked.  Buying votes with talk is bad, mmmmkay. 

• Fuck You 8

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Well, fatty “it’s almost like it’s not my fucking problem” flattie, that comment is not consistent with your posting history on this site.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Well, fatty “it’s almost like it’s not my fucking problem” flattie, that comment is not consistent with your posting history on this site.

Well, I worked with his pet charity for a couple of years.  Those families put in the work for the homes they received.  Far cry from the “just existing” requirements you’re referencing. 

I got to see Carter once when I was a boy.  Believe it or not, he was at the Resolute Desk in the Oval Office.  My sister and I had been parked in the Cabinet Room by my uncle who was a higher up in the Secret Service.  He went to ask Carter's security detail if we could meet the President . . . no dice.  Pretty cool experience, anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I got to see Carter once when I was a boy.  Believe it or not, he was at the Resolute Desk in the Oval Office.  My sister and I had been parked in the Cabinet Room by my uncle who was a higher up in the Secret Service.  He went to ask Carter's security detail if we could meet the President . . . no dice.  Pretty cool experience, anyway.

That's what you get for wearing your "Reagan for President" button.

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)

Rosalyn's motorcade almost hit me (I may have wandered dumbassedly out in the street) at the State Fair during the 76 campaign. I would serve under him 2 short years later.

Hand picked by Rickover always impressed me.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 6

I can't recall exactly how old I was, but I was young 6 or 7, and we went on a field trip to the Carter Library in Atlanta.  By pure luck, Jimmy happened to be there and my class all got to meet him.  At that age, at least I was unaware of how big a deal it is to say you met a POTUS, and little did I realize it would likely be the only time that ever happens.  All I recall was that he was very nice and shook everyone's hand.  I admire him greatly as a person, and the world is worse for him not having the ability to continue his work the last few years.  My wife and I will try to attend any memorial here in Atlanta to pay our respects.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

CSB: Back in 1983, my family was flying back to Austin from Miami and changed planes in Atlanta. I was 16.

The Carter's were on the same flight in first class so we had to walk past them to get to our coach seats.

No meet and greet on that flight since Jimmy was still traveling with his Secret Service goons, but Amy was checking out my twin brother as he passed by.

Amy was pretty goofy looking as a child and somehow morphed into a Ron Howard look alike as an adult, but she looked pretty good that day as a mid teen, from what I recall, although I was more focused on Jimmy, and Rosalynn was smoking.

Still, twin brother dodged a bullet.

Once we got in the air, the crew made an announcement, and there was applause but that was about it.

Godspeed Jimmy...oh what might have been.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, safe sex said:

Reagan rat fucked Carter. And the rest of the country 

He may have, but he certainly didn't need to. You had recession, high interest rates, gas shortages and escalating prices, a hostage crisis, a failed rescue attempt for hostages, and a failing US auto industry.

Carter's measured and thoughtful nature did not play well and everybody forgot all about the Israel and Egypt peace accord and the SALT stuff.

Reagan was a successful governor and had long been in the public eye as a candidate, not to mention being a much better speaker and debater than Carter.

Dems lost the Senate in that election too along with a bunch of house seats, so it wasn't just Carter.

All Reagan had to do was not make some huge gaff and talk about hope for the future and he would have still won in a cakewalk and that was with Anderson as a legit 3rd party guy siphoning off R votes.

Carter had no chance ratfuckery or no.

• Hook 'Em 2

Does not change the fact that he  illegally conducted foreign policy negotiations to influence the election while not being President, much less any agent of the federal government. So I guess he wasn't as confident without the benefit of historical hindsight.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Well, I worked with his pet charity for a couple of years.  Those families put in the work for the homes they received.  Far cry from the “just existing” requirements you’re referencing. 

And the name of that pet charity director?  You guessed it.  Kristin Noem 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, safe sex said:

Does not change the fact that he  illegally conducted foreign policy negotiations to influence the election while not being President, much less any agent of the federal government. So I guess he wasn't as confident without the benefit of historical hindsight.

Yeah, that was some ratfuckery, and risky too. Had he been found out, that might have swayed things back then.

Yeah, Reagan was despicable for negotiating a delay in the hostage release, but all was wiped out once he got shot and became some sort of American hero.  I got suckered in by that, too.  I'm not proud of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

To Carter's credit, and Reagan's patriotism, they stayed in close contact and Ronny took advice from Jimmy on many matters and they got along relatively well.  As did Bush to Clinton.  And Clinton to George W.  And then W. to Obama.  And Obama tried with Trump.  They were all incredibly flawed men and leaders but all loved what this country stands for, and tried to make it move forward and knew all too well what our foreign adversaries were capable of.  And now, in his final days of life for a wonderful man-President Carter, we have  to watch and see how Trump will ask for a day off from his court proceedings to attend the State Funeral and will conveniently get held up at a golf course pro shop somewhere.  

There was some documentary or news clip in the early 80's, maybe after Reagan's shooting.  And my father was not particularly partisan, though he was a sharp student of politics.  But I know he didn't vote for Carter and he later acknowledged that it wasn't all Cater's fault...but the late 1970's economic situation almost sank his family's 60 year old transportation business (obviously a number of other factors at play that my late father could more accurately describe).  But we watched this clip and he rolled his eyes at Carter on TV but by end of the segment, he said, "That man's got heart."  And at like 6 or 7, I didn't know what expression meant.  I mean, I was really good at the game of "Operation."  And he explained "When someone has 'heart', it means they have grit, and humanity, and fellowship, and selflessness.  Everybody has a heart obviously, but only a select few have it in their bones."  Or something to the effect, the old man was better with wisdom than I.  

And I'll keep the kids up late to watch the Carter funeral.  And I'll probably make the trip to D.C. when George W. goes.  And it'll be a good lesson for the kids.  And then I'll get high as fuck and chug a half case of Magnesium Citrate so I can shit all over Trump's funeral, literally.  And yeah, it's not a great example for the kids but I'll sure as fuck enjoy it.  It'd be fitting, if attendees could bring like a 2x4 or something of raw material to lay down at the Carter procession for his work on building homes for the downtrodden.  And then we can bring 2x4 to the Trump funeral and beat the shit out of Eric with them.  I dunno, just workshopping some ideas...

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

CSB: Back in 1983, my family was flying back to Austin from Miami and changed planes in Atlanta. I was 16.

The Carter's were on the same flight in first class so we had to walk past them to get to our coach seats.

No meet and greet on that flight since Jimmy was still traveling with his Secret Service goons, but Amy was checking out my twin brother as he passed by.

Amy was pretty goofy looking as a child and somehow morphed into a Ron Howard look alike as an adult, but she looked pretty good that day as a mid teen, from what I recall, although I was more focused on Jimmy, and Rosalynn was smoking.

Still, twin brother dodged a bullet.

Once we got in the air, the crew made an announcement, and there was applause but that was about it.

Godspeed Jimmy...oh what might have been.

Early 80’s Travis High School.  Teenage Al is sitting in Miss Craig’s political science class and she mentions that some of the young gentleman sitting in her class today could be interested in Carter’s same age daughter.  Younger Al may have winched and shook his head, nope, not even on the mostly lonely of so many lonely nights. Her looks were rather unfortunate but so was mine. 

/csb

/hitsclosetohome

15 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Beats putting the cost of votes on the nation’s credit card, psycho, which is the Republican  modus operandi.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

President Carter will be 100 in October. He just might make it, given the number of times he’s confounded those making his premature death announcements.

Edited by Satchel