Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

8 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Yeah. So what? We were talking about whether or not two losses per year would be considered a successful coach, because someone said we'd be running a 9-2 coach out of town. Which is ridiculous.

There would be plenty of unhappy fans. Expectations change as you have more success. If Clemson started going 10-2 every year, you don't think there would be a problem?

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Sorry to shit on the party guys, but if you aren't talking about getting Coach Urban Meyer can you take it to a diff thread? 

Point of order:  Does this edict only cover posts mentioning other coaches' names?  Or does it also proscribe talk about whiskey/whisky, guns and rifles, hamburger joints, random acts of drunken debauchery, naughty bits, and photos of uncooked, undercooked, and overcooked meat?  Asking for some friends. 

4 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Look, I choose to always expect the worst. So I fully expect Tom will be back in 2021. 

But that timeline does make much more sense than what was being speculated in this thread. Just no way Tom would be fired after beating KSU. Not with the last game coming the following weekend. It just didn’t make much sense. 

The timeline made sense if Urban was trying to get in place before NSD1. If somebody doesn't feel that there's a huge advantage to hitting that date for the reasons you state, I can come around on the fan-fiction starting to crop up saying this is a smoke screen. I don't believe the health issues would be a hindrance now. In other words, it is something that gives both sides cover if there is no deal to be struck. But as far as a hurdle to him being at Texas, I think that hurdle was cleared weeks and weeks ago. I believe it has more to do with whether he can build out his staff with his trusted former running buddies. They might be easier to move over once Ohio State's season concludes. It's less messy and rocks the boat much less.

For all the doomers on this board, heres a brief history lesson.

https://www.onlygators.com/11/20/2011/urban-meyer-to-ohio-state-the-timeline/

Though I do agree with Immamac that the optics look like complete trash right now, but does it really matter if Urban is the coach in January? This is a new breed of CFB with the 1year of eligibility bceause of covid, and the transfer portal. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Mr Orange said:

No hedging.  Still confident.

I'll admit, this weekend's timeline was wrong.  Anticipated KU being called, effectively ending the season early, as well as the ESD timeline. Don't know how it shakes out from here, but I wouldn't put a lot of credence into $9.95 reporting.  

I respect it, whether you're right or wrong you're sticking to your guns. Hopefully it plays out the way we want it to in the end. 

7 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Look, I choose to always expect the worst. So I fully expect Tom will be back in 2021. 

But that timeline does make much more sense than what was being speculated in this thread. Just no way Tom would be fired after beating KSU. Not with the last game coming the following weekend. It just didn’t make much sense. 

I agree.  Plus, Urban isn't going to shit on his legacy at Ohio St just for a chance to flip a few early recruits in one week.  It isn't debatable that he still cares about that program and wants to see them succeed, for the rest of this year at least.

I guess the best we can hope to help our impatience is that OSU gets knocked out the first weekend or doesn't make the playoffs at all. 

2 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

For all the doomers on this board, heres a brief history lesson.

https://www.onlygators.com/11/20/2011/urban-meyer-to-ohio-state-the-timeline/

Though I do agree with Immamac that the optics look like complete trash right now, but does it really matter if Urban is the coach in January? This is a new breed of CFB with the 1year of eligibility bceause of covid, and the transfer portal. 

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I agree.  Plus, Urban isn't going to shit on his legacy at Ohio St just for a chance to flip a few early recruits in one week.  It isn't debatable that he still cares about that program and wants to see them succeed, for the rest of this year at least.

I guess the best we can hope to help our impatience is that OSU gets knocked out the first weekend or doesn't make the playoffs at all. 

2 minutes ago, LarryMoeSurly said:

I would typically hope that anyway, except in a year where a tOSU omission might result in aggie inclusion...

What's a Longhorn fan to do?

Edited by utee94

Maybe saying ‘no’ and getting the suicide level reaction is just Meyer swinging his dick around and getting leverage over CDC..... Only to get even better terms / assist. Coaching salary commits and have UT come back hat in hand.

animation domination lol GIF by gifnews

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Rokotosh said:

1. Cheer for OSU to lose so we can accelerate the possibility of CUM hiring but Aggy gets into the CFP

2. Cheer for OSU so Aggy doesn't get into CFP.....

Confused Larry David GIF

Cheer for Florida to beat Bama so they leapfrog aggy in the pecking order and Bama drops to 3 or 4.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rokotosh said:

1. Cheer for OSU to lose so we can accelerate the possibility of CUM hiring but Aggy gets into the CFP

2. Cheer for OSU so Aggy doesn't get into CFP.....

Confused Larry David GIF

2 for sure. Scenario 1 would mean Urban gets some blame for being a distraction which would piss off Urban more.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, LarryMoeSurly said:

This makes much more sense to me than all of the speculation we’ve been doing the last week or so. 

Absolutely. And it makes much more sense than what we're hearing from the pay sites. I get the feeling there were preliminary talks all along with Urban, feeling him out, but nothing formal was ever done because Herman was still coach ... and they agreed they'd explore it all more formally if and when it came time to fire TH. If that's the case, the talks were never as advanced as we thought they were, and it would take time to work through everything. I.E. if the ball really only started rolling formally with the OU win.

In that case, the IT guy's explanation makes a whole lot of sense, too, imho.

27 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I think Urb had to be pissed about the leaks. He knows that he has poach coaches from tOSU. He is friends with those guys and Day. I'm sure the leaks and speculations pissed off Day. It had to have been a distraction to his staff and to the team. I'm sure Day made it known to Urban. 

So maybe this is all a long game for Texas to put the shit to bed. Leak out that the deal is dead. Take pressure off Urban, removes the speculation and distraction for the tOSU coaching staff and team, and allows CDC and Hartzell to have a come to Jesus meeting with the donors to tell them to SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Or this is really all dead and we are batter wives looking into the mirror with two black eyes trying to convince ourselves and clinging onto hope that the relationship will survive and it will all turn out fine.

2ac9c893039095f5f8260da1cc41780a.gif

You could see it your way or you could see it that if he was seriously in to coach again he would be on the recruiting trail for Texas today locking down commits or blowing up other teams' early commitment classes.

I'd like your scenario to be true, but if it was me in that spot I would say, "Sorry guys if this is inconvenient for you, I won't target your recruits or coaches directly for now but I have a program to build. No hard feelings." 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

2ac9c893039095f5f8260da1cc41780a.gif

You could see it your way or you could see it that if he was seriously in to coach again he would be on the recruiting trail for Texas today locking down commits or blowing up other teams' early commitment classes.

I'd like your scenario to be true, but if it was me in that spot I would say, "Sorry guys if this is inconvenient for you, I won't target your recruits or coaches directly for now but I have a program to build. No hard feelings." 

If we didn't fire Charlie Strong mid season, we're not firing Herman until the regular season is over. I think it's as simple as that. (whether or not Urbs is coming is a different question).

16 minutes ago, C-Man said:

The timeline made sense if Urban was trying to get in place before NSD1. If somebody doesn't feel that there's a huge advantage to hitting that date for the reasons you state, I can come around on the fan-fiction starting to crop up saying this is a smoke screen. I don't believe the health issues would be a hindrance now. In other words, it is something that gives both sides cover if there is no deal to be struck. But as far as a hurdle to him being at Texas, I think that hurdle was cleared weeks and weeks ago. I believe it has more to do with whether he can build out his staff with his trusted former running buddies. They might be easier to move over once Ohio State's season concludes. It's less messy and rocks the boat much less.

Last night a poster asked how Urban could go back on it later if he said now that he can't take the job due to health concerns. My reply was that it's easily overcome because UM, UT, etc could simply say that those reports were unfounded.

IF one were to buy into the theory that the 'health problems' bit is all a cover (and I might be included in that group), it would explain the vague leaks to these 'reporters', without quotes and from unnamed sources, thus providing easy plausible deniability later on.

• Hook 'Em 1

I know I am going to get blasted for this one but I have had an idea for some time now regarding how we get UM even with his health concerns since we give him a job that does not require as much time and is less stressful but he would still get the credit for an NC. We make him Athletic Director of football operations for about $2M a year. He gets to hire the next HC and is responsible for identifying talent and helps recruit it when it is on campus. He rubs shoulders with BMDs and is basically QC for how program is run and a mentor to the coach. Basically a GM with his fingers in the pie. He hires a hungry guy like Kalen DeBoer that has won championships at a lower level an shows him how to be a blue blood coach.

Blast away with everything I have not thought thru

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, wood said:

Last night a poster asked how Urban could go back on it later if he said now that he can't take the job due to health concerns. My reply was that it's easily overcome because UM, UT, etc could simply say that those reports were unfounded.

IF one were to buy into the theory that the 'health problems' bit is all a cover (and I might be included in that group), it would explain the vague leaks to these 'reporters', without quotes and from unnamed sources, thus providing easy plausible deniability later on.

That’s all fine and dandy, but you don’t sit out NSD1 if you are looking to build a program.

8 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

I know I am going to get blasted for this one but I have had an idea for some time now regarding how we get UM even with his health concerns since we give him a job that does not require as much time and is less stressful but he would still get the credit for an NC. We make him Athletic Director of football operations for about $2M a year. He gets to hire the next HC and is responsible for identifying talent and helps recruit it when it is on campus. He rubs shoulders with BMDs and is basically QC for how program is run and a mentor to the coach. Basically a GM with his fingers in the pie He hires a hungry guy like Kalen DeBoer that has won championships at a lower level an shows him how to be a blue blood coach.

Actually that's a pretty interesting theory, at least to my dumb ass. And I could see that HC being Fickell, Campbell, or even Ash.

Edited by wood

4 minutes ago, wood said:

Urban didn't say anything.  Sources said it was health.  He's fine.

4 minutes ago, wood said:

Urban didn't say anything.  Sources said it was health.  He's fine.

16 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

You see it your way, I see it mine, but we both see it slippin' away

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Mole said:

I thought the day shift crew was supposed to be the realists and the night shift was supposed to be full of delusion.

If I'm delusional because I'm trying to connect the dots and find puzzle pieces to a puzzle that everyone wants to give up solving then that's fine with me. 

We haven't even played our last game yet. Until CDC comes out and says that Herman is returning to coach in 2021 then we are far from done here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mr Orange said:

I'll admit, this weekend's timeline was wrong.  Anticipated KU being called, effectively ending the season early, as well as the ESD timeline. Don't know how it shakes out from here, but I wouldn't put a lot of credence into $9.95 reporting.  

Shit. Good enough for me. Just snorted a huge line off a passed out lot lizard's ass. Last night got a little rough after hearing all the news. Might have relapsed a bit. Let's do this! 

Edited by PassiveAggressiveCoach
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

That’s all fine and dandy, but you don’t sit out NSD1 if you are looking to build a program.

With the transfer portal and free covid year i don't know that the December signing day is nearly as big as it has been in the past. 

Not saying it means fuck all for urban going to Texas but I really don't think it's as imperative to get his signature before then. Especially urban. Any other coach being talked about, yes. But not him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Mole said:

I thought the day shift crew was supposed to be the realists and the night shift was supposed to be full of delusion.

there was a tectonic shift last night.  everything is upside down and topsy turvy  

day crew "this isn't over, let the season end, Urbs may just not want to rock tOSU now"

night crew "fuck this is bullshit, what the fuck is CDC doing, who has Hugh Freeze's number(besides the hoes)?"

42 minutes ago, Mr Orange said:

time will crawl GIF

20 minutes ago, senorfussybutt said:

If we didn't fire Charlie Strong mid season, we're not firing Herman until the regular season is over. I think it's as simple as that. (whether or not Urbs is coming is a different question).

We weren’t going to fire charlie at all until the result of the last game. So not an apt analogy. 

18 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

I know I am going to get blasted for this one but I have had an idea for some time now regarding how we get UM even with his health concerns since we give him a job that does not require as much time and is less stressful but he would still get the credit for an NC. We make him Athletic Director of football operations for about $2M a year. He gets to hire the next HC and is responsible for identifying talent and helps recruit it when it is on campus. He rubs shoulders with BMDs and is basically QC for how program is run and a mentor to the coach. Basically a GM with his fingers in the pie. He hires a hungry guy like Kalen DeBoer that has won championships at a lower level an shows him how to be a blue blood coach.

I'm guessing he's doing the bolded part right now for OSU. Not sure why he'd come to Texas to do much of the same. I don't see him as someone with administrative desires. He's got a perfect gig both on TV and at OSU. The only reason to go somewhere else is to coach again, take 3 teams to a national championship, and cement his legacy as the greatest college coach of all time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, senorfussybutt said:

KU wasn't the last game of the season in 2016. He was fired whether he beat TCU or not over Thanskgiving.

Idk about that one, if he somehow managed to beat TCU and then went on to win the bowl game and ended up 7-6 he would've been back for another year. Probably fired mid season the following year though. 

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic