Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

2 minutes ago, troph said:

excellent point.  it's just crazy silent.  and that doesn't mean he's a yes, it could mean exactly what the 995er crowd is saying - Herman might stay, Texas reassessing, etc.  that's all possible.  But that's what everyone is saying is TRUE. No. It's POSSIBLE.  It's also POSSIBLE that it's cover. 

we just don't have enough information to really know.

so we can fret or we can just bide our time, do our jobs, love our people and wait until next weekend.

Or until OSU is out of the national championship race

Just now, Butch Had Not said:

So see you in a couple of hours when you are sick of the kids and job ect?

assuming I'm not rolling around naked with my girlfriend, probs tonight yeah!  I have a private tennis lesson at 5pm that has me most excited.  forget this UM crap. 

1 minute ago, wood said:

Did you read the DMN article? They added nothing at all. It's all based on the reports we've already heard. It's the worst kind of reporting, but all too common these days. Chuck Carlton is as big of a POS as the rest of these guys, and if the DMN wants to print shit like this, then I guess they are, too.

Nope, hadn't read it, sorry; just went by what was posted earlier by someone else and my own reading of DMN's sports pages... perhaps I'm reading them with my maroon glasses on and assumed they were pro-UT, but if you guys say they're more pro-OU, I'm not about to put up any fight.  In either case, I stopped reading DMN because I felt they didn't cover A&M fairly... (but most of the world doesn't care for A&M, so it's a learned custom by now for BAS sufferers like me haha).  cheers!

9 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

And, The Dallas Morning News has gone with the UM not going to Texas line already. Don't know if that's stout enough to convince the hopeful, or not. 

7 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

DMN is pretty homer for UT sports, so if they threw in the towel for CUM, then I'm guessing more likely than not, CUM isn't happening.

Chuck Carlton merely regurgitated what could very well be shit reporting by the 995ers. He's added nothing of value to what amounts to a blog post.

4 minutes ago, troph said:

excellent point.  it's just crazy silent.  and that doesn't mean he's a yes, it could mean exactly what the 995er crowd is saying - Herman might stay, Texas reassessing, etc.  that's all possible.  But that's what everyone is saying is TRUE. No. It's POSSIBLE.  It's also POSSIBLE that it's cover. 

we just don't have enough information to really know.

so we can fret or we can just bide our time, do our jobs, love our people and wait until next weekend.

I think what you're seeing is resigned defeat. I know I'm deflated. I was certain it was going to happen. Give me a few days -- I'll be drinking the Kool-Aid again in short order.

1 minute ago, Mo Horn said:

Or until OSU is out of the national championship race

you know what's supremely interesting about this possibility?  Texas has no coach to replace Herms by Jan 1 and we are just relentless on how crappy Texas Admin is and then boom, tOSU is out and UM is in.  That would be something.  30 on 30 report 10 years later says it was done and in the bag Texas OU weekend, subject to staffing, and staffing was confirmed in December, then they went dark until both teams were done.  That would be nuts.  Unlikely, maybe highly unlikely but nuts.

16 minutes ago, Octavian said:

Given how many head fakes there were in Urban's OSU hiring and how they waited until the season was over, it's hard to completely let this one go. Thanks for checking.

That didn't look like a lot of head fakes, or a particularly drawn out process.  According to the timeline laid out in that article:

November 17, 2011 - specific Meyer-to-OSU rumors begin appearing online

November 23 - Meyer publicly addresses the rumors, saying, "there has been no interview," but "if something happens with Ohio State, I'll have a decision to make."

November 28 - OSU announces Meyer as their new head coach.  

3 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

Herman’s agent must be a complete idiot for not floating stories on teams out there wanting to kick the tires on Herman’s interest in an attempt to get him another extension.

Agent stuff is easy

I expect that's coming, just like when the rumor of UM to PSU popped up 2 weeks before he was announced at OSU.

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Chuck Carlton merely regurgitated what could very well be shit reporting by the 995ers. He's added nothing of value to what amounts to a blog post.

I think what you're seeing is resigned defeat. I know I'm deflated. I was certain it was going to happen. Give me a few days -- I'll be drinking the Kool-Aid again in short order.

I'm officially in the I don't know what's going on camp now.  call it 50/50 without any knowledge and without the ask for $9.95.  I tend to explain why it still could happen because well I often play the role of "wait a minute, have we thought about [this]?"

13 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

Herman’s agent must be a complete idiot for not floating stories on teams out there wanting to kick the tires on Herman’s interest in an attempt to get him another extension.

Agent stuff is easy

Herman leaving for another job and voiding his buyout is literally the best-case scenario for us. CDC would be on the phone encouraging the other school to hire him that same day.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Glabhander said:

That didn't look like a lot of head fakes, or a particularly drawn out process.  According to the timeline laid out in that article:

November 17, 2011 - specific Meyer-to-OSU rumors begin appearing online

November 23 - Meyer publicly addresses the rumors, saying, "there has been no interview," but "if something happens with Ohio State, I'll have a decision to make."

November 28 - OSU announces Meyer as their new head coach.  

Seems like a lot of back and forth to me. To be fair, has just been "no" for us.

» The New York Times published a story Tuesday noting that Meyer had met with Arizona athletic director Greg Byrne one week ago in Miami, FL to discuss his school’s coaching position. Meyer, according to the story, declined the opportunity but “expressed his desire to return to coaching.”

» Two days later, BuckeyeGrove.com writer Kyle Rowland tweeted the following: “Same plane that came from Gainesville to OSU airport was in Miami when Urban Meyer met with Univ. of Ariz. That meeting took place in Miami.”

» CBS Sports’ NFL insider Mike Freeman then referenced a report he read on Scout.com Thursday, tweeting that “Urban Meyer has agreed to coach OSU for 7 years, $35 million. If true, whoa.”

» After that began to circulate, Sports Illustrated’s Andy Staples attempted to set the record straight with a tweet of his own: “Spoke to someone who would know tonight and was told any report of a deal between Urban Meyer and Ohio State is untrue.”

» However, Buckeyes blog Eleven Warriors quickly took to Twitter to divulge what they had uncovered: “We are 99.7% sure Urban Meyer has agreed to a deal to become the next coach of Ohio State. Solid sources. Plural.”

» Shortly after, The Gainesville Sun’s Pat Dooley texted Meyer directly and asked him specifically about the rumor that he had accepted the OSU job. “No truth to it,” Meyer replied via text.

» Meyer’s wife Shelley also made a statement after being contacted by WCJB TV20 and asked if her husband had agreed to coach Ohio State. “No, he did not,” she told the station.

» SPORTSbyBROOKS then posted a full story about the Meyer situation Friday evening, reporting that a “deal between Meyer and Ohio State was consummated in principle earlier this week in Columbus but not signed.”

Brooks goes on to cite specifics of the agreement including a “generous compensation package” and a promise from the school to provide him with the ability to hire the “highest-paid assistant coaching staff in college football history.”

» Saturday morning, Associated Press writer Larry Lage asked Meyer about the deal. He declined comment. He also questioned ESPN analyst Chris Spielman (rumored by Brooks to be a future Meyer assistant) about the situation, and Spielman said there was no deal between Meyer and OSU.

» While doing color commentary for the Michigan-Nebraska game at noon, Meyer addressed the rumors on the air (video😞 “I know it’s that time of year. I’ve not been offered any job, and I’ve certainly not accepted any job,” he said.

» Minutes later, ESPN.com released its version of Brooks’s story, noting that “Ohio State has been in contact with Urban Meyer about becoming the school’s coach” but “no contract is in place and no announcement likely would be made until after the regular season.”

» UPDATE: Dooley had an extensive conversation with Meyer over the weekend about the rumors that he might return to coaching. Meyer denied reports of interviews with both Arizona and Ohio State but did say he would consider an offer from the latter institution. “I’m in a good place right now mentally and physically. So if something happens with Ohio State, I’ll have a decision to make,” Meyer said. “If there is a decision to be made concerning Ohio State, there will be a lot that will go into it. But right now, there is no decision to be made.”

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Holy fuck, if I read one more post about flight tracking, I’m either gonna shoot myself or someone else.  Enough.

That's my cue! Y'all ready to get this party started again?!

In today's news, the Kendra Scott plane is back to being the flight of mild intrigue. After it's flight from Sarasota, FL to Austin on Thursday, it sat until this afternoon. It's inaugural flight of the day out of Austin has it in route to Lajitas, TX which is located in BFE and not far from Big Bend National Park. The plane is set to return to Austin later this afternoon. 

Besides tumbleweeds and meth, from what I can surmise the most notable thing about the place is that it is home to Lajitas Golf Resort & Spa, which is owned by Kelcy Warren, renowned Dallas-based billionaire, UT Arlington alumnus and member of the UT System Board of Regents.

Edited by derpyhorndog
derp
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

So I don't know any BMD's, and I don't know anyone who knows a BMD.  I don't have an inside source, and I don't have a source that has an inside source.  I am embarrassed that I got caught up in all the hysteria and actually believed that anonymous internet characters who associate their identities with long-retired hoopsters and squalid sea creatures had any better intel than the rest of us.  I feel like I have been reading a very bad Dan Brown novel.  Only a very few individuals have any real knowledge of what has happened or will happen.  I personally don't believe that UM will ever be head football coach for Texas.  I don't base that on anything other than common sense and what I can see with my own eyes and hear with my own ears.  I will be very pleasantly surprised if I am wrong.  I will continue to read this thread for the entertainment value and the occasional useful recipe or cooking tip. But until Herman is officially fired I will not get sucked into analyzing flight plans, trying to interpret hieroglyphic tweets, scrutinizing social media posts of everyone within UM's Kevin Bacon range, or putting the slightest bit of credence in anything grounded in hearsay.  I will not be part of UManon.

Many on here have tried to impose a timeline for change based on early signing day, arguing that a new coach will want to maximize the 2021 class. Others have suggested that out of professional courtesy UM  would wait until later in order to avoid negative impacts on OSU.  And some have said that CDC will not pull the trigger before the regular season ends, i.e. after KU whenever that is - and maybe not before the bowl game.

I question the make-or-break impact  of ESD.  Getting the class solidified is hugely important, but the expanded transfer rules mitigate that somewhat.  If the right coach is named, attracting transfers should  not be hard.  The first year is still a transition year on and off the field.  A new coach is  going to be looking mostly at year 2 and beyond.  Recruiting after year 1 should take care of itself if the right coach is in place.  With proper coaching Texas has enough talent to win the Big 12 next year even without a top 10 class.  If I remember correctly, ISU has not had a class  in the top 40 since Campbell has been there, but ISU won the Big 12 round robin and beat both Texas and OU.  What I'm saying is there are ways to fill in any talent gap caused by a one-year drop off in recruiting.

Given a choice between a knee-jerk firing before the end of the season (without a named replacement or with a Plan C guy) and getting UM (or the best qualified Plan B guy) on a longer timetable, I opt for the latter.  If it's UM, fantastic.  If it's Mullen or Cristobal or a coordinator or an NFL guy whose seasons are still ongoing, then I would rather wait for right guy at the right time.  Getting it right is more important than getting it fast.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

So sources say UM is “leaning” towards never coaching again. Sounds to me like up the offer and continue asking him

9 minutes ago, TexasGolf said:

I am still confused about how last week health and family is not an issue.  This Sunday it was the "reason".

Covid hits team and Herman presser cancelled just before the "reason" was leaked

Setting up (1) Desire to stay retired & (2) Health is a concern, so...

A) He gets a HUGE payday.
B) He has an established excuse for when the shit hits the fan and he wants to get out while saving his legacy.

I'm okay with both of those things.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, TexasGolf said:

I am still confused about how last week health and family is not an issue.  This Sunday it was the "reason".

Covid hits team and Herman presser cancelled just before the "reason" was leaked

I don't know what sources you believe, but if any of them told you that health wasn't an issue, you should not trust them anymore.

Urban may or may not take the job.  He may or may not have seriously considered the job.  But he has a serious health issue, and his desire to coach again doesn't make that health issue go away.  He has an extended family that seriously (and sometimes publicly) worry about his health.  There is no scenario in which he isn't considering his health at the beginning, middle, and end of any job evaluation he does.

And the notion that family didn't matter... literally, WTF?  Yes, by all accounts, they will support him whatever he decides.  Awesome.  But if his wife, his children, and his grandchildren all make it clear that they would prefer he not coach, that absolutely matters.  He may not be a great human being, but he's not a psychopath.  And he's also not a robot; just like every other human being on the planet, the notion of upsetting his loved ones or causing them to worry almost certainly weighs on him more some days than others. 

Every single one of us changes our mind regularly, has contradictory emotions regularly, are influenced by conflicting forces regularly... yet somehow, we don't assume that other people are the same way.  The notion that there is a straight, linear, rational decision making process from start to finish, which can be perceived and understood by people on the outside looking in, is preposterous.

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I was fully confident Meyer said no a week ago. I can now say for the first time with full confidence the Meyer flirtation is over. This thread is done.

To be fair I have not even seen anything credible substantiating the flirtation even took place. The whole thing might have just been some fever dream cooked up by the $9.95 crowd.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Octavian said:

Seems like a lot of back and forth to me. To be fair, has just been "no" for us...

GatorsOnly may have been trying to make it look like a lot going on, but the entire timeline, as described there, was only eleven days, with Meyer publicly commenting on it five days in.  The story is then puffed up with various other people saying, in that eleven day period, that a formal offer hadn't been made or accepted.

Look you surly horns... it's still possible. Chip is wrong all the time, and all the other stories are clickbait using Chip's reporting as their "source". Getting Urbs was always going to be a long shot. I have felt if you didn't fire Herman after the ISU game, you aren't going to fire him until the regular season is over. So let's wait one more week before doom and gloom. NSD1 is already screwed and nothing's going to change that at this point.

Until CDC or Belmont holds a formal presser / makes a statement / issues a press release, this is all just guessing. I would hope that Herman is fired as the hit to recruiting is worth his buyout. Hell, I'd be fine with firing Herman and having Ash as interim. It's clear to me that our coordinators are hamstrung by Herman's stink. It's unclear if it's Hand or Herman or Yurcich that continues to insist on outside zone but we did look a lot better in that blocking scheme with Majors at center.

Herman gets too narrow focused on his favorites / rewards seniority too much. I.e. Kerstetter at C or giving KI the rock instead of BR for the majority of the season. Which I think outside of keeping G5 coaches for 3 seasons is his biggest weakness. If we can get even a halfway decent Xs and Os coach who will institute a meritocracy, it will be an improvement over Herman.

• Hook 'Em 4

Look you surly horns... it's still possible. Chip is wrong all the time, and all the other stories are clickbait using Chip's reporting as their "source". Getting Urbs was always going to be a long shot. I have felt if you didn't fire Herman after the ISU game, you aren't going to fire him until the regular season is over. So let's wait one more week before doom and gloom. NSD1 is already screwed and nothing's going to change that at this point.

Until CDC or Belmont holds a formal presser / makes a statement / issues a press release, this is all just guessing. I would hope that Herman is fired as the hit to recruiting is worth his buyout. Hell, I'd be fine with firing Herman and having Ash as interim. It's clear to me that our coordinators are hamstrung by Herman's stink. It's unclear if it's Hand or Herman or Yurcich that continues to insist on outside zone but we did look a lot better in that blocking scheme with Majors at center.

Herman gets too narrow focused on his favorites / rewards seniority too much. I.e. Kerstetter at C or giving KI the rock instead of BR for the majority of the season. Which I think outside of keeping G5 coaches for 3 seasons is his biggest weakness. If we can get even a halfway decent Xs and Os coach who will institute a meritocracy, it will be an improvement over Herman.

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I was fully confident Meyer said no a week ago. I can now say for the first time with full confidence the Meyer flirtation is over. This thread is done.

What are you basing that off of? No Herman firing yet and a Chip post? It's still possible. It's not probably, but still possible.

9 minutes ago, Horndog said:

Given a choice between a knee-jerk firing before the end of the season (without a named replacement or with a Plan C guy) and getting UM (or the best qualified Plan B guy) on a longer timetable, I opt for the latter.  If it's UM, fantastic.  If it's Mullen or Cristobal or a coordinator or an NFL guy whose seasons are still ongoing, then I would rather wait for right guy at the right time.  Getting it right is better than getting it fast.

Ain't nobody got time to read all that, but I did zero in on your last paragraph & agree completely.

Look, were Urban not available, who (that we'd want) were we gonna get sooner than the end of the regular season? And even then, we probably wouldn't have been able to announce them until several days after that. So if we were to land UM even as late as January, it's still a HUGE win.

Edited by wood
can't type worth a fuck

Give Urban the AD job. Herman works best with his back against the wall. So keep Herman and make him work under Urban. Problem solved. Feldman made a joke about being the “president of an organization” on Saturday and Urban blushed. 

1 minute ago, MrBig said:

Give Urban the AD job. Herman works best with his back against the wall. So keep Herman and make him work under Urban. Problem solved. Feldman made a joke about being the “president of an organization” on Saturday and Urban blushed. 

soo.... Herban? or Urbman?

interesting scenario, actually.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, senorfussybutt said:

What are you basing that off of? No Herman firing yet and a Chip post? It's still possible. It's not probably, but still possible.

Pretty sure he knows some folks that might be in the loop on these matters.

1 minute ago, MrBig said:

Fire CDC to hire UM to run UT football and UT athletics through the next round of realignment and television contracts.

Lol.

14 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

The Urban Meyer thread has warped all sense of time and reality, I feel like I’m scrolling through the same posts over and over but I just can’t stop

You should try coke.

Edited by TexArcher
This was a joke. Coke is bad, kids. Really.
  • Haha 1

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic