Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

TFB

***Chip Brown of 247 has reported that talks between Texas and Urban Meyer have to an end. While I’m not prepared to officially confirm that, it certainly falls in line with our general expectation beginning last Saturday. I held out a bit of hope when the offer was upped, but never could get even my most optimistic sources to go more than about 40% on the chances Urban would take the job.

***If things are indeed done between Texas and Urban, the question is what direction does Texas go in next.

***First, I think you’re going to see CDC lay down the law a bit. What I mean by that is while CDC was obviously involved in this, per a source (who has been nails on this so far) it sounds like CDC felt a little pressured by the “Checkbooks” and Hartzell and would’ve preferred to have taken a little more time or approached this in another manner. At a certain point though, you’ve got to get the front of wave if you want it to look like you’re leading.

***I think whatever happens now will be CDC’s move (not to say he didn’t want Urban) and on his timeline with his process.

***As I said before, person I spoke to who knows CDC speculated based on having worked with CDC that while CDC wants a splash hire, he wants the hire to be his hire.

***CJ mentioned last week that the coach’s name he heard that would be next on the list is Dan Mullen.

***I heard the same name on Sunday evening from a separate source. This particular source knows Dan Mullen.

***I asked said source whether he/she thought Mullen would take the job. Source has not spoken to Mullen about it but offered this speculation, “For that kind of money and to get out of the grind of the SEC, why not? If he gets that offer he’s going to wake up and realize, I don’t have to recruit against Kirby and Nick Saban anymore”.

***Question still remains whether there will be support for someone not named Urban Meyer (or Nick or Dabo) to make a change this year given the financial responsibilities. But honestly, I don’t know how you don’t. After this search that has been widely reported even on a national level and with recruiting trending down, it just seems like Texas would be putting themselves in a really bad position should Herman not win big next year.

***Lastly, I know some folks have asked about the possibility of Chris Peterson. I did reach out to someone who is close to Peterson and asked if he would entertain the Texas job. Source said, “very doubtful. He’s done”.

10 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I like harsin

I'll listen to Darius Terell on Baizer's podcast from time to time.  He played under Harsin and stated recently stated that Harsin is not a good person and that Texas should not hire him.  He didn't go further detail but that's the 2nd time I've heard him be very negative towards Harsin.  Just wanted to share.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Wonder if Caddox is the OB insider that had that long post about everything being agreed to financially, but was just waiting for the ok from his Dr.  Which he never received.

this is the lipstick on the pig story that will be stated from here till the end of time(assuming he never does coach again) so that Texas can say it wasn't in anyone's control.  the health part is the first thing you check with Urban/Agent on considering his history.

he's tOSU guy.  Texas is too big of a recruiting competitor.  I think he couldn't get his guys and he decided it wasn't worth competing against them. Texas being good isn't really good for tOSU.  

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

How does Bohls still have a fucking job?  I mean that's some great information right there but do we know if we are even interested or reached out to Mullen?  I am guessing his next tweet will be "In case you were wondering , no way that Bill Belichick is coming to Texas.  "There's a 0.0 percent chance of that," New England Patriots higher-up tells me.  All that tweet does is make Texas look bad.  Nothing else.  If I were in Belmont I would take all access away from that ass hat.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I was interested to understand the flow of this whole process, so I went back to facts I know, and compared them to futureman's proclamations. Going into this exercise, I was thinking he's been trolling the board for six weeks or more, but that's not what I found:

I'm 100% sure Urban was interested and in play in mid-October. 

In late October, 10/25, futureman made a post about Urban not turning down the job. Maybe made in jest.  Maybe not.

On November 28th, I reached out for the first time about Urban again because Texas had just lost to Iowa St, sealing Herman's fate. I was told Urban said no. That means he said no sometime between mid-October and late November.

Futureman's first post declaring Meyer wasn't coming was on November 6th. There is a chance Meyer said no that early. I never checked until the 28th.

It's not clear whether the noise from the 28th until now was all fake news, Texas not taking no for an answer, or an elaborate communication plan like Urban did for tOSU while he evaluated the offer from Texas.

I believe Futureman may have heard the same no I heard, but three weeks earlier. 

If anyone comes out of this ahead it’s you.   You said he said no. Flip side is you run in the same circle as future?

50 minutes ago, futureman said:

still waiting on apologies from everyone in this thread.  I never pretended to have inside info like so many of the phonies that love to act like their posts matter.  I told y’all the truth from day one.  my posts actually do matter.  I’d like to be acknowledged for it.  

Congrats, you got it right on a 50/50 guess.  Good job.  What was the last one that you were so annoyingly confident about?  Oh, that's right.  Brockermeyer twins would sign with Texas.  Like I said.  50/50.  You're bound to get some right if you just keep guessing.  Instead of apologies, maybe you should start charging $9.95.  Or better yet, just shut up.  

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Boy, I got busy yesterday and ... wow. I skipped like 30 pages, so forgive me if I'm late on something, but I got to catch up offline in any event.

Urban Meyer really is unpredictable and a bit of a flake. If it's really health, I guess it's a case of "you don't know until you have to say so" kind of thing. He still hasn't communicated directly, so nothing would shock me, but it seems obvious it's over. 

There is a push-pull right now in terms of direction. I've asked repeatedly about the viability of Herman staying and no one is hedging internally anywhere that he's staying. I still think they will really fuck this up and keep him with all kinds of rationalizations. The money was there last year for him. The money was there in the spring for Shaka Smart. Both were rationalized into being kept.

Another direction is going to the "nobody ever got fired for hiring ..." premise, in which a shiny object of the P5 nature will be chased. To me, that could look a lot like the Perrin/Piece baseball debacle in which we wind up getting a whole bunch of HCs raises across the country. I'm betting that if Herman does get shitcanned, this is the circus we see and somehow wind up with a wet fart like PJ Fleck, who will crush an interview and get the admin's panties wet. Even worse, and I can't stomach this, Fat Patty gets moneywhipped with his 4 losing seasons in the last 5 years.

Then there's the "get the guy that knows how to coach and develop" premise. This would be where Matt Campbell types come into the discussion more freely. Napier at Louisiana. You guys have all shit repeatedly on Traylor at UTSA, but he'd fall into this camp. He's 7-4 this year. He wins 10 or 11 games next year, suddenly everyone's ears perk up. He's connected deeply throughout the state HS ranks. He'd bring in one of the big name DCs that he knows or is friends with like a Muschamp or Odom. Guys like Samples and Maguire would be brought in as recruiting beasts. Carrington probably stays in role. I know no one wants to hear it and it would be deflating to me as well, but I can at least understand the approach. 

The NFL stuff that's been hinted at is cancer. It isn't Jeff Fisher. It also doesn't sound like it's happening, so whatever. 

As usual, it sounds like Texas is above the fray (in its own mind) and probably too good for a coordinator. Maybe an interested Venables would have a shot. Seems unlikely. 

I know this - the admin doesn't understand the dire state of the recruiting landscape if they get this wrong. They think they do, but they don't. They never have. 

Can someone please screenshot the recruiting rankings to the admin please? Thanks. 

29 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I was interested to understand the flow of this whole process, so I went back to facts I know, and compared them to futureman's proclamations. Going into this exercise, I was thinking he's been trolling the board for six weeks or more, but that's not what I found:

I'm 100% sure Urban was interested and in play in mid-October. 

In late October, 10/25, futureman made a post about Urban not turning down the job. Maybe made in jest.  Maybe not.

On November 28th, I reached out for the first time about Urban again because Texas had just lost to Iowa St, sealing Herman's fate. I was told Urban said no. That means he said no sometime between mid-October and late November.

Futureman's first post declaring Meyer wasn't coming was on November 6th. There is a chance Meyer said no that early. I never checked until the 28th.

It's not clear whether the noise from the 28th until now was all fake news, Texas not taking no for an answer, or an elaborate communication plan like Urban did for tOSU while he evaluated the offer from Texas.

I believe Futureman may have heard the same no I heard, but three weeks earlier. 

tl;dr: Upon further review, username checked out

Edited by clapclapclap

39 minutes ago, CowtownHorn said:

This thread has been a blast over the past couple of weeks. Will miss all of the booze, gun, and food pics. And I still laugh when I think about @immamac with the McRib pic. That should be the poster for this thread when it’s all said and done. Next time there’s a Surly tailgate or happy hour...I’ll try to get my lazy ass down to Austin. Love you all...Hook’em!

image.jpeg.a8b4566a5977da235eb93918f9a675ac.jpeg

20201207_100744.jpg.4c2763987822a4525e034eebfe29b8ea.jpg

• Haha 8

10 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

TFB

***Chip Brown of 247 has reported that talks between Texas and Urban Meyer have to an end. While I’m not prepared to officially confirm that, it certainly falls in line with our general expectation beginning last Saturday. I held out a bit of hope when the offer was upped, but never could get even my most optimistic sources to go more than about 40% on the chances Urban would take the job.

***If things are indeed done between Texas and Urban, the question is what direction does Texas go in next.

***First, I think you’re going to see CDC lay down the law a bit. What I mean by that is while CDC was obviously involved in this, per a source (who has been nails on this so far) it sounds like CDC felt a little pressured by the “Checkbooks” and Hartzell and would’ve preferred to have taken a little more time or approached this in another manner. At a certain point though, you’ve got to get the front of wave if you want it to look like you’re leading.

***I think whatever happens now will be CDC’s move (not to say he didn’t want Urban) and on his timeline with his process.

***As I said before, person I spoke to who knows CDC speculated based on having worked with CDC that while CDC wants a splash hire, he wants the hire to be his hire.

***CJ mentioned last week that the coach’s name he heard that would be next on the list is Dan Mullen.

***I heard the same name on Sunday evening from a separate source. This particular source knows Dan Mullen.

***I asked said source whether he/she thought Mullen would take the job. Source has not spoken to Mullen about it but offered this speculation, “For that kind of money and to get out of the grind of the SEC, why not? If he gets that offer he’s going to wake up and realize, I don’t have to recruit against Kirby and Nick Saban anymore”.

***Question still remains whether there will be support for someone not named Urban Meyer (or Nick or Dabo) to make a change this year given the financial responsibilities. But honestly, I don’t know how you don’t. After this search that has been widely reported even on a national level and with recruiting trending down, it just seems like Texas would be putting themselves in a really bad position should Herman not win big next year.

***Lastly, I know some folks have asked about the possibility of Chris Peterson. I did reach out to someone who is close to Peterson and asked if he would entertain the Texas job. Source said, “very doubtful. He’s done”.

every coach with a winning record is about to get a big raise. what fails here, changes the world.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

How does Bohls still have a fucking job?  I mean that's some great information right there but do we know if we are even interested or reached out to Mullen?  I am guessing his next tweet will be "In case you were wondering , no way that Bill Belichick is coming to Texas.  "There's a 0.0 percent chance of that," New England Patriots higher-up tells me.  All that tweet does is make Texas look bad.  Nothing else.  If I were in Belmont I would take all access away from that ass hat.

Kork Bowels is as insightful as a piece of styrofoam.

Wouldn't be surprised if he said: "Knute Rockne has no interest in the job-- per my sources."

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

So when do we get new practice fields?  Apparently they're shit and BMD's have $25m laying around not being used for anything

This coaching situation won't be resolved until we get 2-3 more articles about how our football facilities are worse than most Texas high schools + another Herbstreit rant about how Texas fans should be happy with 3-5 losses every season.

33 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Bama boards leaking that Saban may be retiring after this season.. Today is Larry Birds Birthday..  maybe RGL was throwing us all off for a bigger splash hire?

Nick Saban or Bust?

Would you mind linking or screenshooting this? 

13 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

Congrats, you got it right on a 50/50 guess.  Good job.  What was the last one that you were so annoyingly confident about?  Oh, that's right.  Brockermeyer twins would sign with Texas.  Like I said.  50/50.  You're bound to get some right if you just keep guessing.  Instead of apologies, maybe you should start charging $9.95.  Or better yet, just shut up.  

you’re very misinformed.  I had a source and shared the info here.  clearly I had the only real source out there, including the $9.95ers.  you should just say ‘thank you’ and then fuck off. 

• Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

you’re very misinformed.  I had a source and shared the info here.  clearly I had the only real source out there, including the $9.95ers.  you should just say ‘thank you’ and then fuck off. 

Right.....  Just curious, same or different source than the Brockermeyer source?

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I've been giving shit to the rubes on IT that were advocating for Traylor from the beginning - but dammit if they and now you don't have a point.

We get him cheap and short so that if the experiments fails we have an easy out to pull the plug in three years.

Any coach outside of Meyer is going to be a gamble for this program. 

We as a program need to do a good job of finding a good coach whether it be a g5 HC, p5 coordinator, or current p5 head coach that can come in and coach talent up. Coaching the talent up and developing them into draft picks will help recruiting more than anything outside of a Meyer type hire. 

Winning and developing will build recruiting and build winning, not having a splashy head coach hire. When the winning and developing happens the money from donors and etc will come in like never before. We'll blow all previous revenue numbers out of the water.

The short/long term effects of keeping Herman in 2021 are HUGE and will set the program back years. Moving on from him has more financial impact than just the buyout especially if the next guy comes in and elevates the program.

18 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

F5BA7786-2CBB-46D5-B651-71669F24E56F.gif

• Haha 1

locking thread until you guys calm down and talk about Urban Meyer in this one. Move the "coaching search" to one of the 50 other coaching search threads. This is for Meyer updates and memes related to the potential hiring and/or doom related to the potential lack of hiring Urban Meyer. 

There is no Jeff Traylor to Texas thread, someone should start that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Not sure who this is coming from, but, I'll take anything at this point.

that is absolutely a screenshot from a poster on IT - wonder who posted it. here is the full text:

EophNHSXIAEG3A4?format=jpg&name=large

here is another example showing some of IT screenshots:

fwiw, this guy has 48 followers, so highly doubt it is his (personal) scoop

Edited by NoName

soooooo. let's discuss how this shitshow got to this point. warning fan fiction, most assuredly, below.

we have a handful of posters with "connections" to people who supposedly matter. those posters all pretty much said the same thing up to mid week last week. that some "agreement" was reached with urban. then came his list of demands and the discussion about this coaching staff. then silence. sunday comes and everything goes south and no one knows what the fuck was true and what was fan fiction.

i refuse to believe that the posters or their sources were lied to. i also refuse to believe that it was all fan fiction, that these dudes, posters and their bmds were just making shit up just to make shit up. no one, besides futureman, enjoys being a miserable cunt just because. so i believe that things were progressing last week. that urban probably had been on the fence with health a primary concern. bmds threw more money into the pot and urbs said ok, you got my price. he gave a verbal. then he tried to convince his guys to come. he didn't get the all Yeses he needed to hear and didn't want to risk bearing the weight of the rebuild with a skeleton crew of guys he trusts. 

the negative news is probably because he and texas probably agreed on a timeline for signature. a week makes sense. a week gives urban the time he needs to ping his guys to see who's on board. so last night passes, the week has come, and there's no indication from urban on wanting to sign the contract. now there's questions if urban has actually spoken to anyone. so i think the week deadline for signature came and went and that's how everyone is thinking it's over, which it is for all intents and purposes.

how wrong am i?

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Not sure who this is coming from, but, I'll take anything at this point.

yeah uh, this isn't happening. ridiculous.  If he cares about OSU that much that he would screw up an entire recruiting class he isn't coming.  

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic