Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

No - I don't think coaching for a year in the Sun Belt is meaningful head coaching experience when your next job is coaching a top 5 program in the SEC. 

And I was just going off the top of my head with some help from wiki to verify to make the point that Auburn has done something similar twice in the past 15 years. I can give you more examples if you'd like, although you seem to be shifting the goalposts already. You're criteria was ridiculously thin to begin with. 

We can start with Stoops. Most guys, to be fair, don't fit your criteria but there is one hugely successful example right there. 

Stoops was hired 22 years ago - a few things have changed since then

I would love to see more examples where it worked out. So far we have zero actual names considering the bar is "never been a college head coach before, not on the staff, then hired by a blue blood and was successful"

• Chizik had 2 years at ISU
  • Malzahn had 1 year at Ark State + 3? years on staff before that at Auburn

Herman is total shit, there are at least a dozen guys out there that would be a clear upgrade over him. 

A dozen ground rule double hires? We’ve tried the young(er) up and comer coach, twice, and both were terribad. And not even necessarily terribad vs highly ranked teams...terribad vs going down to the wire against unranked shit.

What can someone like campbell do at Texas that Herman can’t? Campbell damn near, or actually loses to an fcs team every year. Just ask Al

6 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Just sharing what I listened to.  I think Chip is a moron.  I also do believe CDC doesn't want Meyer either.  He's going to get marginalized when Meyer picks his own assistant AD for the football program.  You think he's going to be on board with hiring someone that doesn't plan on answering to him?  This whole situation is fucked in my opinion.

Symptom of the widely rooted issues in our AD and its gravitational circle, where personal interests take priority over what is best for the program's success.

• Rage+1 1

I can't stomach the thought of that little crying cunt on the side line for another year. He'll be even more insecure after this flirtation with meyer.....tommy boy will turtle like no other 2021 and the next 3 years of blue chip recruits sure as shit know it. Herman couldn't develop and win with 4 and 5 star guys....this will be a shitshow of epic proportions  with 2-star and 3-star 

Mullen, Campbell, Harsin, fatty patty.....doesn't matter, it has to be done. Any of these will produce vastly superior results '21-''23.....wins, talent development, in game decision making, and on the recruiting trail. It's worth the buyout

7 minutes ago, NoName said:

just in case you think he is understating the situation here, the top 8 players in the current case are all defensive players

8 of the next 9 are all offensive players. the bottom 7 players in the class are all offensive players (excluding the Aussie punter) - basically we are going to sign the lowest rated offensive recruits we have offered at all offensive positions except WR

our class includes 2 guys outside the top 150 in the State of Texas, 1 guy ranked #138 in Florida and a guy ranked #143 in LA

this class is really not great on offense.

We only have 1 recruit out of the top 25 recruits in the state. 

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Haven't heard the name Chris Petersen in awhile. Hey he's 56 with no buyout - just like Urbs!

Not sure the full story behind why Petersen just "retired" from coaching to become a UW administrator, but I don't think anyone seriously thinks he'd be a candidate at UT. 

7 minutes ago, NoName said:

just in case you think he is understating the situation here, the top 8 players in the current case are all defensive players

8 of the next 9 are all offensive players. the bottom 7 players in the class are all offensive players (excluding the Aussie punter) - basically we are going to sign the lowest rated offensive recruits we have offered at all offensive positions except WR

our class includes 2 guys outside the top 150 in the State of Texas, 1 guy ranked #138 in Florida and a guy ranked #143 in LA

this class is really not great on offense.

Hopefully those three stars can play well enough to get minutes over David Gbenda and Kai Money.  

Edited by bejezuz

11 minutes ago, futureman said:

still waiting on apologies from everyone in this thread.  I never pretended to have inside info like so many of the phonies that love to act like their posts matter.  I told y’all the truth from day one.  my posts actually do matter.  I’d like to be acknowledged for it.  

I made a $38 hamburger meat bet with someone that Urban wouldn't be our coach. I just can't remember who I made the bet with....

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

A dozen ground rule double hires? We’ve tried the young(er) up and comer coach, twice, and both were terribad. And not even necessarily terribad vs highly ranked teams...terribad vs going down to the wire against unranked shit.

What can someone like campbell do at Texas that Herman can’t? Campbell damn near, or actually loses to an fcs team every year. Just ask Al

Campbell just went 8-1 in the big 12 with recruiting classes ranked in the 50s, he would have won the big 12 with this same Texas roster easy.

13 minutes ago, futureman said:

still waiting on apologies from everyone in this thread.  I never pretended to have inside info like so many of the phonies that love to act like their posts matter.  I told y’all the truth from day one.  my posts actually do matter.  I’d like to be acknowledged for it.  

242769566_tenor(2).gif.a11dc3d14bd7f5c323e07880a020a7a9.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Leeroy Jenkins said:

If we hire someone, give them a $1M incentive to beat OU every year and another $1M incentive to win the conference.  

Sounds good in theory, but I don't think financial incentive has been the reason our past 3 coaches have struggled to do the above for the past decade.

15 minutes ago, futureman said:

C690A6EE-CC00-4CAB-BC0B-7894E08AD47A.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Haven't heard the name Chris Petersen in awhile. Hey he's 56 with no buyout - just like Urbs!

You jest, but why the fuck not kick the tires? Similar to the drunken late-night suggestion by another poster to put in a call to Satan and see if he wants $12MM to escape Tuscaloosa for a three-year vacation and just long enough to defibrillate the program and win a NC at a third school. Not that he'd necessarily even answer the phone after the last shit show (and the one that just publicly unfolded), but maybe it's just Steve Hicks' number that he blocked.

Edited by derpyhorndog
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, immamac said:

I love how the program is ~ 2 weeks from being ruined for about a decade and all you care about is your ego because you said you would fist your own asshole if we hired one of the very few people that could actually right the ship at Texas. 

It’s a bit on a site that celebrates bits and was birthed out of a we’re assholes bit. Wouldn’t it be a farce if he caved now?

Just now, CastHorn said:

Campbell has multiple early round picks scattered on his roster. He deserves credit for developing those guys but let’s not pretend he took a bunch of scrubs to the title game.  

Agree, Campbell excels at identifying and developing talent which is how he went 8-1 in the big 12 with recruiting classes that were ranked in the 50s and the bottom half of the conference.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, immamac said:

I love how the program is ~ 2 weeks from being ruined for about a decade and all you care about is your ego because you said you would fist your own asshole if we hired one of the very few people that could actually right the ship at Texas. 

aren’t you supposed to be one of the smart ones? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

This thread has been a blast over the past couple of weeks. Will miss all of the booze, gun, and food pics. And I still laugh when I think about @immamac with the McRib pic. That should be the poster for this thread when it’s all said and done. Next time there’s a Surly tailgate or happy hour...I’ll try to get my lazy ass down to Austin. Love you all...Hook’em!

image.jpeg.a8b4566a5977da235eb93918f9a675ac.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, futureman said:

I dont have the energy to salt the snail at this point...dark days

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, rungeflash said:

I can't stomach the thought of that little crying cunt on the side line for another year. He'll be even more insecure after this flirtation with meyer.....tommy boy will turtle like no other 2021 and the next 3 years of blue chip recruits sure as shit know it. Herman couldn't develop and win with 4 and 5 star guys....this will be a shitshow of epic proportions  with 2-star and 3-star 

Mullen, Campbell, Harsin, fatty patty.....doesn't matter, it has to be done. Any of these will produce vastly superior results '21-''23.....wins, talent development, in game decision making, and on the recruiting trail. It's worth the buyout

Is it?  Then get on the phone to CDC and offer to pay it.  

8 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Campbell just went 8-1 in the big 12 with recruiting classes ranked in the 50s, he would have won the big 12 with this same Texas roster easy.

I mean at this point who the fuck cares?  He's obviously the best we can do.  He probably is better than Herman.  Why the fuck not even though I think he could be Herman 2.0.  We just cant keep cucked Herman now.

2 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Agree, Campbell excels at identifying and developing talent which is how he went 8-1 in the big 12 with recruiting classes that were ranked in the 50s and the bottom half of the conference.

Herman was just as impressive at U of H. Including when he smoked both OU and Jimbo at Free Shoes.

There is a lot to the challenge of picking a good head coach that people are not factoring in.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

aren’t you supposed to be one of the smart ones? 

I'm not all doomer about UM not coming to Texas, however this is program ruining optics by the AD. UM coming was always a 50/50 shot at best and I get your schtick, but right now this has turned into a way way bigger problem than "not getting the coach we want" 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

I made a $38 hamburger meat bet with someone that Urban wouldn't be our coach. I just can't remember who I made the bet with....

You made it with me but it was contingent on Herman returning in 2021 - not on Urban coaching here.

3 minutes ago, CowtownHorn said:

This thread has been a blast over the past couple of weeks. Will miss all of the booze, gun, and food pics. And I still laugh when I think about @immamac with the McRib pic. That should be the poster for this thread when it’s all said and done. Next time there’s a Surly tailgate or happy hour...I’ll try to get my lazy ass down to Austin. Love you all...Hook’em!

Yes, as many others have mentioned, regardless of where this ends up, that was the most fun, laughs and excitement I've had over UT football in a long time. Will reiterate what I said hundreds of pages back in this thread, I simultaneously love and hate all of you bastards.

...except you, futureman. Go fuck yourself. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

From what is being reported on the pay sites combined with what I have heard, if you had to bet today it would be Herman coaching Texas in 2021. That is unless he leaves himself to take another job. This is now officially the “bust” scenario we feared. 

1 minute ago, Randolph Duke said:

Herman was just as impressive at U of H. Including when he smoked both OU and Jimbo at Free Shoes.

There is a lot to the challenge of picking a good head coach that people are not factoring in.

Maybe I'm crazy but I think what Campbell has done at historically inept Iowa State vs big 12 competition is just a bit more impressive than what Herman did at UH vs AAC competition.

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic