Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

Ketch this morning:

Here's a collection of notes to pass along following last night's confirmation that former Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer revealed to Texas over the weekend that he will not be taking the team's head coaching position.

* At this point, it's best to say that Tom Herman is safe for now. Nobody behind the scenes is 100-percent certain that Herman will be on the Texas sidelines next year, but he's not in any kind of imminent danger... as of now.

* Texas did go all chips in on Urban Meyer, but that does not automatically mean Herman will return. Keep in mind the regular season for other programs is still ongoing. We know Mario Cristobal, James Franklin and Dan Mullen are among the coaches who have been discussed as a potential Plan B. Texas may have to wait before making a serious run at other candidates in late December or early January.

* Cristobal has lost two straight games. We have been told Phil Knight is not a huge fan of Cristobal and might be willing to pay his buyout. However, Texas officials are not sure Cristobal is a major upgrade, and the losses are not helping his cause.

* Texas AD Chris Del Conte has a strong relationship with James Franklin, but officials believe there is no way to sell 1-5 to the Longhorn fan base.

* Del Conte still has not given Herman a public vote of confidence. We still need to monitor how Texas responds to the backlash from fans upset about the Meyer news.

* With National Signing Day around the corner, it appears an effort is being made to keep this recruiting class together and add another playmaker. Chris Del Conte recently picked up the phone to give LJ Johnson reassurances about the program. To our knowledge, Johnson is the only recruit who has asked to speak with Del Conte.

* We have heard from our NFL contacts there are teams interested in hiring Herman as an assistant if Texas fires him. Within the coaching world, Herman is still highly regarded. If Herman is fired, he may not be out of work for long, assuming he does not want to take a year off and re-evaluate his options instead of jumping into another job.

6 hours ago, CowtownHorn said:

Also, with these reports spreading like wildfire...I would think that CDC would have to address this ASAP one way or another today.

He'd only remain quiet if: i) the deal has been done and the firing is imminent or ii) he's still in negotiations with Urban

I feel bad that some here are still talking themselves into this being possible.

It would be a disaster for us to leak this intentionally. It's horrible for the program in every possible way, but it appears we went the rip the band-aid route

I don't really care what we do next and will be disengaging for a while here. The last week or so was the most excited I've been shut ut football for a long time, which is a sad, sad statement.

For anyone holding out hope here, even the squid guy this morning posted something on japanese that translates into "I played a (guessing game) with my friends, but it didn't come out." Not that those guys ever should've been a reason to believe, but even they're not holding out at this point.

It's done.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Ketch this morning:

I may be misunderstanding how anything said/reported up to this point is a "confirmation". That seems like a jump in language. Ketch is going as far to say as Urban "revealed that he will not be taking the position". Based on what? Chip's report that didn't use similar language? Another source? 

They seem to be running with this report yet they can't even report the same things. And Tom can't have a Monday presser because 3 players and 2 staff got covid? CDC hasn't said ANYTHING yet? 

The whole thing is bizarre. I'm not sure if I'm still bullish on Urban - but it CERTAINLY doesn't feel like we are retaining Herman at this point. Speaking of "confirmed" Ketch is "confirming" that our athletic director is speaking to recruits. 

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

• Hook 'Em 1

• Brian Davis with AAS is on 104.9 Horn FM live now
  • Klatt on radio this morning said Urban to TEXAS would be a no brainer, otherwise not sure there is a go to guy right now that's a better option than retaining Herman at this point,
  • If BMD's can't come together on a consensus nother than Urban, coaching change might not happen now, and save almost $15mil on buyouts of Herman + Assistants by waiting till 2021 (Not good short term for program)

Edited by LTtxfan

From Bobby:

Urban Meyer has all but officially told Texas “thanks, but no thanks” citing health concerns. Understandably discouraged, Texas brass is coming to terms with that reality.

So what’s next?

It appears that there is a narrative being pushed by some in the athletic department that, sans a hiring of Meyer, keeping Tom Herman is the next best decision.

The idea, at least to me, is completely untenable.

I freely admit that getting through signing day, and keeping a below average recruiting class - by Texas standards - together has value compared to dropping an Atom Bomb on the class with roughly a week to go before the early signing period. But to keep Herman for the long term is totally different.

It would speak to a greater misunderstanding of just where the Texas program is, who is leading it, the expectations of it, and why there was ever a desire to remove and replace Herman in the first place.

Herman, as a coach, has underperformed on a routine basis. Playing close games and not getting embarrassed is not the goal of a Texas football coach. Nor is winning 70-percent of your games in a conference where winning 80-85 percent is needed to compete for conference title annually. One Big 12 championship game appearance in four years, when Texas has had top two talent, in three of the last four years, is abysmal.

Furthermore, where Herman once shined - in recruiting - is fading fast. The 2021 recruiting class will be and is already below Texas standards. If Herman is maintained, the 2022 recruiting class will be below the standards of TCU or Oklahoma State, much less those of Oklahoma, A&M or LSU. I don’t think anyone attempting to keep Tom Herman understands just how drastic the outlook is for recruiting next season.

Texas will likely have to sign an entire class of “evaluation” players. Texas will have to successfully do what Gary Patterson and Mike Gundy have done over the years just to stay competitive.

That’s not what Texas should be reduced to given the power of its logo.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

CDC can make the best hires in every other sport but if you fuck up the football hire you essentially signed your own pink slip.

Just be patient. Let CDC be CDC and not Steve Hicks' (or which ever one of them was pushing the UM bullshit) yes-boy.

I don't understand hiring someone to be the decision maker based on his very impressive judgement running another athletics program and then insisting he allow any BMDs to dictate to him what his important hires will be moving forward.

My personal choice to head coach would be Brent Venables (especially if Clemson wins another this year). Hiring Venables would royally fuck up recruiting this year, but under the current structure, hiring any assistant for a CFP program will fuck up a recruiting for a cycle.

With early signing before the CFP, hiring coaches from CFP programs is going to be done over a lot longer cycle, and will no longer be just "plucking the ripest fruit at he moment from the tree."

Things are changing, people. Lots more change is coming our way (COVID financial fallout, realignment, etc).

Gotta learn how to roll with the changes.

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Lol. Coming out of the gate strong this week, I see. 

I think people know my thoughts on Urban possibly coming to UT Austin. 

Sorry you are not having as good of a start to your week as some others are. 

Shouldn’t you be somewhere convincing us how the aggy program is in shambles and broke, all the while they having a legit shot at making the fucking playoffs and are donkey dicking this asshole turtle fuck Tom in recruiting?  Instead of here gloating that you were *correct?

*UT wasn’t too good for UM. He’s the one (supposedly) deciding not to come. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just hold on a minute, step back from the ledge and hear me out. If everyone is getting  tested today for The Rona, and something odd showed up in the test results for Tom Herman. Can CDC shit can his ass for being on that shit? Would Herman resign to escape embarrassment? 

2 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

His team sucks. 

yep but we already tried the Mensa .. time for Mario to do his best impression of Kirby Smart and stack talent on talent.. hopefully be able to not just nail the top 10 players in state but to pluck top 5 players from OOS too?

Edited by Thiefery

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

The guy just lost to cal.

I think it's entirely short sighted to be ruling options out based on week to week performances. 

The guy is a recruiter. He has Power 5 experience. He coached under Saban. His coaching tree is already starting to promote into HC jobs. 

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic