Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

13 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Not sure the full story behind why Petersen just "retired" from coaching to become a UW administrator, but I don't think anyone seriously thinks he'd be a candidate at UT. 

I'd rather have Harsin than Petersen, but I don't know if we're seriously considering either.

Only thing about Chip Brown's article I agree with is BMD's being reluctant to pay Herman's $25M buyout for a higher risk candidate. That'd be throwing good money after bad. We may be stuck with Turtle Tom for at least another year. 

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

CDC can make the best hires in every other sport but if you fuck up the football hire you essentially signed your own pink slip.

you wish that it were this way, but it's not

The AD at Texas is always going to be judged holistically, and the way that whole is weighted would disappoint you as a football fan, but as long as we're profitable* and scandal-free* and in aggregate win a lot of championships, then the AD is judged to have done a good job. 

Football can't lose indefinitely, but over the thirty-plus years Dodds was the AD (1981-2013), Texas football wasn't in the Top Ten in win percentage and only won its conference seven times (including the bullshit 1994 conference title), so it can be mostly mediocre for a long time without any pressure on the AD.

Football can be mediocre if Texas wins a bunch of national titles in Olympic sports and raises a ton of money and builds a lot of impressive facilities. COVID year aside, Del Conte is as good at those things as Dodds was. So get ready for a lot of lather, rinse, and repeat around here, indefinitely. 

This epitomizes the ideal for Texas athletics among our leadership, and note that when this issue came out, it didn't look like Mack Brown was ever going to be anything but Oklahoma's bitch and before TJ Ford led men's hoops to the Final Four:

americas-best-sports-colleges-whos-no-1-

* Del Conte is not going to be blamed for the drop in athletic revenues related to COVID

* Del Conte is not going to be blamed for the tennis coach selling access

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, DFW Horn said:

I'd rather have Harsin than Petersen, but I don't know if we're seriously considering either.

Only thing about Chip Brown's article I agree with is BMD's being reluctant to pay Herman's $25M buyout for a higher risk candidate. That'd be throwing good money after bad. We may be stuck with Turtle Tom for at least another year. 

Then who?

12 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

Campbell has multiple early round picks scattered on his roster. He deserves credit for developing those guys but let’s not pretend he took a bunch of scrubs to the title game.  

LMAO. That only proves that Campbell can evaluate and develop. None of those guys were projected to do that well. He took a bunch of lower-rated recruits, developed them, coached them with actual discipline and a game plan, and took them to the title game.

• Hook 'Em 3

You jest, but why the fuck not kick the tires? Similar to the drunken late-night suggestion by another poster to put in a call to Satan and see if he wants $12MM to escape Tuscaloosa for a three-year vacation and just long enough to defibrillate the program and win a NC at a third school. Not that he'd necessarily even answer the phone after the last shit show (and the one that just publicly unfolded), but maybe it's just Steve Hicks' number that he blocked.

They absolutely should call Petersen. He’ll say no. But you have to call.

4 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

From what is being reported on the pay sites combined with what I have heard, if you had to bet today it would be Herman coaching Texas in 2021. That is unless he leaves himself to take another job. This is now officially the “bust” scenario we feared. 

Seems that way.   And maybe that’s the best play.  Those of you that signed up for IT should cancel 

12 minutes ago, immamac said:

I'm not all doomer about UM not coming to Texas, however this is program ruining optics by the AD. UM coming was always a 50/50 shot at best and I get your schtick, but right now this has turned into a way way bigger problem than "not getting the coach we want" 

The thought that Hicks or Hildebrand (or whichever one of them) can force the AD to hire their "flavor of the moment" is thinking whose days are fading quickly.

I think what we will now see is the pushback from CDC and those boosters (life myself) who want the entire athletics program put on a new level. I am a big believer in CDC, but he hasn't had near enough time to establish the parameters of power and to the right team in place to run the program for the next 20 yrs.

If CDC is the AD I hope he is, the flirtation of UM (that was essentially forced upon him) will prove to be an inflection point.

the COVID financial fallout is going to provide the opportunity to do some badly needed restructuring. THAT is the first thing to get right. Texas needs to get the right financial minds in house to help CDC manage the realignment issues and get that right. We still have facilities issues to wrap up. There are a lot of distractions and a lot of higher priorities.

In short order, the UT athletics of 2018 will be long forgotten. Things five years from now will reshuffle a lot of athletics department. there are a lot of big picture issues that dwarf "optics" of replacing the head football coach in 2020.

Let CDC be CDC.

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

I mean at this point who the fuck cares?  He's obviously the best we can do.  He probably is better than Herman.  Why the fuck not even though I think he could be Herman 2.0.  We just cant keep cucked Herman now.

Listen to yourself.  He has beaten Herman 2 in a row and has now done something Herman hasn't done - win the regular season B12.  ISU is in a fucking midwestern cornfield and has never won anything and now they are the best team in the conference.

Edited by ClubWhatever
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

You jest, but why the fuck not kick the tires? The drunken late-night suggestion by another poster to put in a call to Satan and see if he wants $12MM to escape Tuscaloosa for a three-year vacation and just long enough to defibrillate and win a NC at a third school. Not that he'd necessarily even answer the phone after the last shit show (and the one that just publicly unfolded), but maybe it's just Steve Hicks' number that he blocked.

It’s desperate, but that would be my immediate course of action— offer the record breaking salary to anyone you deem worth it regardless of how seemingly unrealistic.  The question is who’s on that list and where’s the cut line (for example, someone like Harbaugh might be realistic or alumni like Kyle Shanahan, but do you offer them that kind of bank if that’s what it takes)?  And of course you reach for the stars knowing there’s an excellent chance it won’t work.  So then what?  Stick with Herman?  Play roulette again and hire the next up-and-comer and hope you hit the rare jackpot?  Swallow your pride and hire the ‘upside with baggage’ types (Briles now, Petrino back in the day as examples)?  Tough place to be when it seems you can’t pay quality candidates enough to accept the challenge of being where the buck stops under the spotlight of great expectations at a place like Texas, especially when the money is still pretty good at places with lower expectations.

6 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

How is CDC’s relationship with Fatterson?

Based on my deep dive into @Caddox's post history during last night's sleep deprivation mode, assuming anyone still has any belief in his connections, he was supposedly told way back when that Fatterson would apparently have had interest in the UT job for a long stretch of time, but that he thought we did Mack dirty on his way out and wouldn't be open to it now.

For obvious reasons take that with a large grain of salt. But it's been a long time since Mack and I feel like Fatterson wouldn't be de facto off the table if we truly wanted to make a serious run at him, regardless of the TCU/FW god-like status that is often used to shoot down that possibility. 

21 minutes ago, NoName said:

I would love to see more examples where it worked out. So far we have zero actual names considering the bar is "never been a college head coach before, not on the staff, then hired by a blue blood and was successful"

Since 2000? How many hires are we even talking about here? You're going off of a ridiculously small sample size. Especially if a school like Georgia isn't a blue blood in your eyes since they've done it relatively successfully twice now. 

How many legit blue bloods have even been successful since 2000 with a post-2000 hire? USC, tOSU, Bama, OU, ND - any others? You're talking about six hires between those five programs - and only two of them have won a national title in the past 15 years. Texas, Michigan, Nebraska and Tennessee haven't done shit in hiring successful guys this millennium (if you want to include Florida or LSU you should include Georgia and Auburn). Meanwhile, how many guys that do fit your criteria have been unsuccessful at a blue blood? That list is much longer. 

1 minute ago, derpyhorndog said:

Based on my deep dive into @Caddox's post history during last night's sleep deprivation mode, assuming anyone still has any belief in his connections, he was supposedly told way back when that Fatterson would apparently have had interest in the UT job for a long stretch of time, but that he thought we did Mack dirty on his way out and wouldn't be open to it now.

For obvious reasons take that with a large grain of salt. But it's been a long time since Mack and I feel like Fatterson wouldn't be de facto off the table if we truly wanted to make a serious run at him, regardless of the TCU/FW god-like status that is often used to shoot down that possibility. 

Wonder if Caddox is the OB insider that had that long post about everything being agreed to financially, but was just waiting for the ok from his Dr.  Which he never received.

2 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Art Briles, fuck it
Or Leach or stoops.
I just want a competent offense that churns yards and scores
UM has broke me

I said Art Briles way back and the fucktwats on here went for pitchforks. I do not see the difference between Art and Urban, bending rules and using future convicts to win. If you want war you bring in the motherfuckers, if you want to dance around and act all hi and mighty bring in the MENSAs, can’t have it both ways.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 9

I was interested to understand the flow of this whole process, so I went back to facts I know, and compared them to futureman's proclamations. Going into this exercise, I was thinking he's been trolling the board for six weeks or more, but that's not what I found:

I'm 100% sure Urban was interested and in play in mid-October. 

In late October, 10/25, futureman made a post about Urban not turning down the job. Maybe made in jest.  Maybe not.

On November 28th, I reached out for the first time about Urban again because Texas had just lost to Iowa St, sealing Herman's fate. I was told Urban said no. That means he said no sometime between mid-October and late November.

Futureman's first post declaring Meyer wasn't coming was on November 6th. There is a chance Meyer said no that early. I never checked until the 28th.

It's not clear whether the noise from the 28th until now was all fake news, Texas not taking no for an answer, or an elaborate communication plan like Urban did for tOSU while he evaluated the offer from Texas.

I believe Futureman may have heard the same no I heard, but three weeks earlier. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Alien Octopus said:

I said Art Briles way back and the fucktwats on here went for pitchforks. I do not see the difference between Art and Urban, bending rules and using future convicts to win. If you want war you bring in the motherfuckers, if you want to dance around and act all hi and mighty bring in the MENSAs, can’t have it both ways.

This is the worst post in this entire thread and that is really saying something. Fuck you.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

I was interested to understand the flow of this whole process, so I went back to facts I know, and compared them to futureman's proclamations. Going into this exercise, I was thinking he's been trolling the board for six weeks or more, but that's not what I found:

In late October, 10/25, futureman made a post about Urban not turning down the job. Maybe made in jest.  Maybe not.

On November 28th, I reached out for the first time about Urban again because Texas had just lost to Iowa St, sealing Herman's fate. I was told Urban said no. That means he said no sometime between mid-October and late November.

Futureman's first post declaring Meyer wasn't coming was on November 6th. There is a chance Meyer said no that early. I never checked until the 28th.

It's not clear whether the noise from the 28th until now was all fake news, Texas not taking no for an answer, or an elaborate communication plan like Urban did for tOSU while he evaluated the offer from Texas.

I believe Futureman may have heard the same no I heard, but three weeks earlier. 

the dude has said on multiple occasions he has exactly zero inside sources.

• Hook 'Em 1

Futureman is a troll.  Period.  Sometimes trolls luck into shit.

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Boy, I got busy yesterday and ... wow. I skipped like 30 pages, so forgive me if I'm late on something, but I got to catch up offline in any event.

Urban Meyer really is unpredictable and a bit of a flake. If it's really health, I guess it's a case of "you don't know until you have to say so" kind of thing. He still hasn't communicated directly, so nothing would shock me, but it seems obvious it's over. 

There is a push-pull right now in terms of direction. I've asked repeatedly about the viability of Herman staying and no one is hedging internally anywhere that he's staying. I still think they will really fuck this up and keep him with all kinds of rationalizations. The money was there last year for him. The money was there in the spring for Shaka Smart. Both were rationalized into being kept.

Another direction is going to the "nobody ever got fired for hiring ..." premise, in which a shiny object of the P5 nature will be chased. To me, that could look a lot like the Perrin/Piece baseball debacle in which we wind up getting a whole bunch of HCs raises across the country. I'm betting that if Herman does get shitcanned, this is the circus we see and somehow wind up with a wet fart like PJ Fleck, who will crush an interview and get the admin's panties wet. Even worse, and I can't stomach this, Fat Patty gets moneywhipped with his 4 losing seasons in the last 5 years.

Then there's the "get the guy that knows how to coach and develop" premise. This would be where Matt Campbell types come into the discussion more freely. Napier at Louisiana. You guys have all shit repeatedly on Traylor at UTSA, but he'd fall into this camp. He's 7-4 this year. He wins 10 or 11 games next year, suddenly everyone's ears perk up. He's connected deeply throughout the state HS ranks. He'd bring in one of the big name DCs that he knows or is friends with like a Muschamp or Odom. Guys like Samples and Maguire would be brought in as recruiting beasts. Carrington probably stays in role. I know no one wants to hear it and it would be deflating to me as well, but I can at least understand the approach. 

The NFL stuff that's been hinted at is cancer. It isn't Jeff Fisher. It also doesn't sound like it's happening, so whatever. 

As usual, it sounds like Texas is above the fray (in its own mind) and probably too good for a coordinator. Maybe an interested Venables would have a shot. Seems unlikely. 

I know this - the admin doesn't understand the dire state of the recruiting landscape if they get this wrong. They think they do, but they don't. They never have. 

Belmont needs to ask itself why schools like Cincinnati get it right at a higher rate than Texas. 

I'd have no problem hiring a top assistant.  At least we would know they wouldn't bring their entire previous staffs like Herman and Strong did.  

6 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

I share the view of many posters that the bolded is a dumb, loser mentality. If BMD's are truly vested in the success of the program, and our AD is as well, you move on from a coach the second it's clear without a doubt that he's not going to bring the program to the threshold level of success - the force of that is doubled when it's both obvious that he's not going to cut it on the field and and that he's a fucking dead man walking on the recruiting trail (i.e., he's going to have even less talent in future to mask shortcomings on the field).

The idea that BMDs will shell out stupid money for Urban but, for any other coach that is promising but nonetheless another gamble (like the supermajority of HC hires), not pass around the hat and drop what to them is church-offering-like money for Surly 99%'ers is ridiculous and sad if true.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

When you find yourself spending time analyzing futureman posts it's probably time to step away from the keyboard.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alien Octopus said:

Well, 3 national championships at two different programs for starters.

But, it'll be interesting to see how Briles does at Tech if those rumors are true. 

Moving forward, coaches aren't going to have the luxury of being "in play." The early signing date already has changed the dynamics of how coaches are hired and fired. Just how a successful coach leaves his old program to head to "greener pastures" hasn't been worked out. But "instant success" doesn't fit well in the same conversation as "Dec 16 signing day" and "late Dec CFP games."

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

I can't believe CDC went all in with these BMDs and didn't publicly have Herman's back for the last month and a half but now it's gunna be "hey welcome back bud!"

Not much risk to CDC.  Herman can be pissed but what are his options?  Quit, get another school to buy him out, or be pissed off while continuing to coach?  

if nothing else, Herman just had a very harsh performance review. So if he does stay, maybe he’ll make some major and meaningful changes to staff and approach. At the end of the day, Herman is going to be very wealthy no matter what happens. And that includes getting fired this year or before his contract expires 

Edited by EuroHorn

5 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I was jacked seeing all the helpful hints on making grade A brisket too!

Someone needs to compile all of those brisket tips into one post and immamac should sticky that post on the homepage.  At least it’s information that will be useful in our lives 

Edited by Teamdirtyleg

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Then there's the "get the guy that knows how to coach and develop" premise. This would be where Matt Campbell types come into the discussion more freely. Napier at Louisiana. You guys have all shit repeatedly on Traylor at UTSA, but he'd fall into this camp. He's 7-4 this year. He wins 10 or 11 games next year, suddenly everyone's ears perk up. He's connected deeply throughout the state HS ranks. He'd bring in one of the big name DCs that he knows or is friends with like a Muschamp or Odom. Guys like Samples and Maguire would be brought in as recruiting beasts. Carrington probably stays in role. I know no one wants to hear it and it would be deflating to me as well, but I can at least understand the approach. 

I would absolutely take Traylor.  If we're going to go this direction, at least I'd like the guy.

• Hook 'Em 3

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic