Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

One thing to think about regarding "Urban Meyer is waiting for the ND job" is that it's not even close to an ideal situation for the guy. They don't pay well, they have high academic hurdles that impairs recruiting, they don't throw money at assistants and don't pay for a ton of support staff either. It's also not a slam dunk that they'd be willing to pursue Urban Meyer, either. If Meyer is truly holding out for some other place, I sincerely doubt ND fits the bill.  If Kelly bolts, Matt Campbell has already notified ND that he's got dibs on the job, so it's probably moot anyway.

So much conflicting info out there. It's weird that Urban would be "concerned about his legacy," but then go to a really challenging place to win it all. I think our fan base has a low self-esteem, so we latch onto rumors that suggest we're undesirable.

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Fire him before NSD1 without a replacement and almost nobody signs except for "I'm a Longhorn ride or die" types like Sanders. And other coaches can swoop in and convince teenagers not to wait until NSD2 and just get it over with. 

Get them signed with the current coach and work on keeping them with the new coach seems like the optimal strategy, especially if you think the new coach is going to be a good hire. That doesn't mean be a dick school and fight their release tooth and nail if they still want to leave but it gives you the best shot. 

He’s reached out to to some BMDs. A few of the ones that were salivating for him when he was at Houston. Not sure if anything came of it. 

2 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

So much conflicting info out there. It's weird that Urban would be "concerned about his legacy," but then go to a really challenging place to win it all. I think our fan base has a low self-esteem, so we latch onto rumors that suggest we're undesirable.

Low self-esteem? Indeed not, sir. I was told yesterday or the day before on this board that I was exhibiting "textbook Texas arrogance" for having the audacity to say that ISU honks were living in fantasyland for thinking that Matt Campbell was going to be their ISU Bill Snyder.

1 minute ago, reneg_2 said:

He’s reached out to to some BMDs. A few of the ones that were salivating for him when he was at Houston. Not sure if anything came of it. 

Herman has no advocates left. I've never a person so quickly and thoroughly damage every single avenue of support like he has at Texas. No one is defending him for another year.

• Hook 'Em 5

35 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

ND being his dream job seems odd considering he chose UF over them back in the day.  That was obviously a smart business decision given the talent in the program at the time, but hardly leads me to believe it's his dream job.

I think its the new dream job because he can't go back to tOSU(IMO).  there was s story about him idolizing Woody Hayes and being a huge tOSU fan but who knows.

35 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

ND being his dream job seems odd considering he chose UF over them back in the day.  That was obviously a smart business decision given the talent in the program at the time, but hardly leads me to believe it's his dream job.

Following his interview of Meyer, Cowherd said Meyer asked Lou Holtz about ND or UF.  According to Cowherd, Holtz recommended UF for its “advantages” for winning and winning sooner.

15 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

You can win at ND.  Look at what Brian Kelly is doing.

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Their OL and DL are absolutely on par with anybody in the country but I don’t think they have enough freaky skill players to keep up with the bama’s, clemson’s and tOsu’s of the world. To be fair Meyer would most definitely improve that unless the enrollment requirement fucked him. 

This may be a super rosy way of viewing it, but is there any possibility the 9.95ers have basically been told to shut the fuck up about anything Urban, and even to an extent the coaching search options, so they don't fuck anything up for us?

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust [Sponsored by BRAWNDO ITS WHAT PLANTS CRAVE]
Their OL and DL are absolutely on par with anybody in the country but I don’t think they have enough freaky skill players to keep up with the bama’s, clemson’s and tOsu’s of the world. To be fair Meyer would most definitely improve that unless the enrollment requirement fucked him. 

I expect Clemson to run them off the field next weekend in the rematch.

10 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

He’s racked up a decent win percentage with 6 ten+ win seasons, a couple of CFP appearances and one MNC berth. 

He’s also been completely pantsed when ND goes up against the tippity top of today’s CFB landscape. 

I think attracting the very best athletes to a dumpy, lake effect snow village populated by pasty, plus sized catholic girls to run up good W/L’s records largely against midwestern also rans is a tough ask these days. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

Did your buddy really see Urban at Escondido?

co worker - older brother of walker little has a friend who is a member and that was passed onto him.  he brought it up seemingly out of the blue.  he went to ole miss so he is not a texas homer

• Hook 'Em 1

I haven’t read the thread since about 10:00 last night. I’m not going to try to catch up. I’ve seen what’s being reported by CTJ, et al, and I don’t even want to know the meltdown that’s probably only in its infancy. I’ll just say this:

This shit is messy. If you fire Tom, you put yourself in the position of having to fill the spot RIGHT NOW. That’s what got us Charlie and Tom. I’m perfectly content with how it’s going. CDC is being methodical and he’s not willing to mortgage our future on another gamble. He’ll either stick with the gamble he has (Tom), which I don’t think will ultimately happen, or he’ll find as close to a sure thing as possible. Even if our worst case scenario happens (Tom stays), we will have our kids in the second year of the same system, hopefully with a spring and fall camp. Our defense should be filthy with a real year of preparation. Our offense might even get better, especially at QB. Maybe we get a new OL coach with a brain and everything gets better. Who knows?

Things aren’t good right now, but we’re a hell of a lot better off than we were under Charlie. It’s not dumpster fire time, yet. We can be patient if the final result is the best possible result. Until we know that result, temper tantrums will only make things worse.

Obviously, I’m choosing to trust CDC. The fact that he’s not making knee-jerk, purely emotional decisions should encourage all of us.

Go find something to be thankful for. All will end well. 

31 minutes ago, Teryor said:

This may be a super rosy way of viewing it, but is there any possibility the 9.95ers have basically been told to shut the fuck up about anything Urban, and even to an extent the coaching search options, so they don't fuck anything up for us?

Fuck no. Those idiots wouldn't shut up. They're only told what the source wants leaked. 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Teryor said:

So the guys that are insanely desperate for content to validate their existence are all keeping secret that they were told to STFU? 

40 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I'm gunna disagree with this part. When they canned Charlie, they didn't put themselves in a position to HAVE to hire Tom right away, they fired strong so quickly in order to put themselves in a position to where they COULD hire Tom right away, because that's who they wanted. He was the hot name. Everywhere. We were all wrong (unless you weren't).

That’s fair, but my point is that there wasn’t a search. It was knee-jerk.

At the time, I probably gave the hire a 7. I didn’t like the losses to Navy and SMU, and the kissing was fucking weird. He called in to radio shows to argue about their takes, too. Weird and unprofessional. There were red flags.

No vetting was done other than watching him win games against big-name schools. We never considered the alternatives (which I admit were few). I didn’t love the hire, but I was certain he’d be better than Charlie (duh). I didn’t think there were many qualified alternatives at the time, but I’d have liked there to have been a vetting process before pulling the trigger at the last second because we had to. Missing on Rhule sucked. There were certainly no sure things available, though. There was no Urban.

This process has been different and the circumstances are different, I’ll agree. I don’t think we need to freak out, though. Not yet. Our infrastructure is much more football-friendly and competent than it was in the post-Mack era. If CDC fucks it up, I probably still won’t freak out. I’ll just advocate for his firing.

I don’t think he’ll fuck it up, though. 

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic