Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

3 hours ago, B00M said:

At this point there are only a few people that actually know the truth. CDC, UM, and the 1+ people that are responsible for Herman's buyout. That's it. Any news trickling down to mid/low level "insiders" like RCV and the 9.95ers is simply what CDC wants leaked. Any endorsement from CDC for TH would simply be for NSD1 and added cover for UM. This is all strange and new to us, but we're witnessing a professional AD in his finest hours. 

Agree. Don't know why some petulant juveniles who have no idea what the fuck CDC's doing behind the scenes are finding fault with him. Judge him after all this plays out, not because you don't have the patience to see it through. Queen's anthem of the Me Generation: "I want it all, I want it all, and I want it now!"

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

And he confirmed that Warehime didn't wreck their shitter?

Correct. That th asked them a strange question about their wood flooring and he tried to walk upstairs in their home.  I think th was on the Texas job just a week or so. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Jack Wilson said:

Agree. Don't know why some petulant juveniles who have no idea what the fuck CDC's doing behind the scenes are finding fault with him. Judge him after all this plays out, not because you don't have the patience to see it through. Queen's anthem of the Me Generation: "I want it all, I want it all, and I want it now!"

You poor naive bastard. 

I am not down on the Herman hire - He has left the program better off than when Charlie left. He just needs to go now. We would have been much better off if we had let him go after OU. Now, there is a decent chance that through transfers and shitty recruiting that we will end up right back at the spot where Herman picked up.

44 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

He’s racked up a decent win percentage with 6 ten+ win seasons, a couple of CFP appearances and one MNC berth. 

He’s also been completely pantsed when ND goes up against the tippity top of today’s CFB landscape. 

I think attracting the very best athletes to a dumpy, lake effect snow village populated by pasty, plus sized catholic girls to run up good W/L’s records largely against midwestern also rans is a tough ask these days. 

I think the bigger point is that it's taken him 10 years to build a team that may actually contend for the CFP final - and it remains to be seen whether they will or not. 

Urban isn't going to go somewhere where winning it all in year 3 at the latest is a far cry.

Yes. 
IF CDC has had any plans of possibly bringing back Herman since around the OU game, he's done the program a disservice by letting Tom twist in the wind without publicly displaying his support of the head coach.

WTF? I suppose CDC needs to wear chaps on juggle pom-poms on the 50 yard line yelling “Go Coach, Go”, (NTTATWWT)?

FTH is currently under a multi year contract. What more needs to be said that hasn’t already been said. Anything else is the kiss of death publicly.

Next I suppose, that you will tell us that the President and AD need to hit the recruiting trail with FTH as well to close our 21 class.

15 hours ago, Ricky Thrilliams said:

(Ketch)

Truth be told, most of the key info to pass along right now with regards to the Texas head football coaching situation was in last night's update. Not much occurred in the last 24 hours that has changed the dynamics of the situation.

However, there are a few things to discuss, including the situation surrounding former Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer.

In case you missed it, Meyer joined Colin Cowherd's show on Thursday afternoon and was asked about his desire to return to the sideline. What followed was an answer that raised the ears of every follower of Texas football in as much for what was not said, as much as for what was said.

"There's more than mornings (where he wants to return), Colin," Meyer said. "You can't do something as long as I've done it (and not) just feel a little bit empty. I have a great spot on Fox, and I love Reggie, Matt, Brady and Rob Stone. We have a great group. I really have absorbed that and embraced it. But, to say I don't think about it... it's every day. But it'd have to be the perfect, perfect situation. It'd have to be something that I was confident that the health issues I could overcome, and at least prevent. So, I don't know. At this point, I think I'm done, but I learned a long time ago...you know, I left a job once where I really planned on being there, then you get a phone call from a better opportunity. So, you know, I think I'm done, but I would never say I'm never done."

A few thoughts on his comments.

1. Lol. Meyer really should go into politics.

2. Most of this shouldn't surprise anyone that has been paying attention. Meyer mentions that his health concerns are at the center of any decision to return and references the need to have a perfect situation in order for him to return. What represents a perfect situation? Well, as we outlined in last week's War Room, it primarily centers around the ability to surround himself with a number of core support staff members that are currently centerpieces of the Ohio State football program.

In making a decision last week to not return to coaching as the coach at Texas, the two existing sticking point areas were continued reservations about his health (especially from his family) and complications in being able to bring a number of key personnel people with him from Columbus to Austin.

In a way, he pretty much said the bare minimum related to his situation. Yet, it was still a first-person confirmation of the areas that have been discussed for weeks.

3. In talking with high-level university officials this week, very few concrete specifics have emerged in our conversations with regards to specifics related to the Meyer rejection. There could be a number of reasons for that, ranging from Texas officials not wanting to relay harsh rhetoric in his final response to there wasn't much to pass along outside of the bottom line to there being a conspiracy to hide secret plans to delay a true final decision until the New Year, to sources just not wanting to say a damn thing to us.

The bottom line is that from my perspective, no one that I trust has so much as given me a flash of a wink that would suggest that there's some Machiavellian plan in place that ends with Meyer in Austin when the dust settles.

I wish I could tell you otherwise because Meyer's name being mentioned with the job was probably the best thing to happen to Orangebloods business in years, but there are no indications at this point outside of burnt orange confirmation bias, blind hope and a refusal to accept an otherwise harsh reality that points to it actually going down. Still, you better believe everyone will be keeping an eye on Meyer moving forward.

4. In talking with Texas officials this week, I would not be shocked to see them at least return to Meyer in January in the most stealthy way possible in an effort to make sure that nothing has changed, especially if Texas sticks with Tom Herman through the rest of the season (bowl game) as is overwhelmingly expected. Whatever happens, if anything happens, will almost certainly be done in a way that minimizes exposure because none of the parties involved on the Texas side will want to have a second miss see the light of public day, especially when you consider what is being speculated behind the scenes as potentially looming next (see below).

We're just at a point right now where the ONLY move where there appears to be a consensus among those in the decision-making power structure is that Meyer and Meyer alone is worth the financial commitment needed to push a complete reset ($25 million) on the program at this point. While that could eventually change, it's where things stand now.

5. There is grapevine talk that the only "true perfect, perfect situation" out there for Meyer is the Notre Dame job, a place that's dear to him after coaching there from 1996-2000. Speculation has existed for years that current Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly could eventually head to the NFL and that if he were to do so, Meyer would have a significant interest in the job.

Outside of the Meyer conversation, the next thing to keep an eye on with the Texas athletic department is a possible attempt to rebuild the standing of Herman, who has received zero public support from Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte for essentially the last six months, but especially during the season.

Del Conte has always indicated that he would hold off on all public commentary on the football program until the end of the regular season. With the announcement on Thursday that the game against Kansas has been cancelled, the end of the regular season has arrived and there will be expectations for Del Conte to weigh in on the situation with football, especially in light of the very real new set of expectations that Herman will be around for the 2021 season, barring another change in direction.

Given that Del Conte hasn't exactly made a lot of decisions this fall that you'd find in the traditional athletic director's playbook, it's hard to say with certainty what chess moves he'll make in the coming days and weeks, but there seems to be an understanding that Del Conte has to give some sort of public endorsement of Herman if the plan is to bring Herman back.

Does that mean a public endorsement is on the way? It’s one of the things everyone is watching for.

Stay tuned.

15 hours ago, Rip76 said:

Ketch is working on mysteries without any clues.

• Haha 2

I've reached "relax" finally. I'm happy to consider the other possibilities and discuss in the meantime, but the Urban Meyer possibility has not been put to bed, for me. I haven't seen enough to believe that Tom Herman is returning, and haven't seen enough to say with any type of certainty that Urban Meyer has completely turned down the Texas job. I won't have my hopes sky-high, but I'm just confident that the UM avenue is not yet finished being explored. 

2 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

I've reached "relax" finally. I'm happy to consider the other possibilities and discuss in the meantime, but the Urban Meyer possibility has not been put to bed, for me. I haven't seen enough to believe that Tom Herman is returning, and haven't seen enough to say with any type of certainty that Urban Meyer has completely turned down the Texas job. I won't have my hopes sky-high, but I'm just confident that the UM avenue is not yet finished being explored. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47yn41enz29rv3iudx9d

Relax, when you want to (sign) CUM.

Not really on topic but whatever. Talking radio heads are such fucking idiots. I'm kind of half listening to 104.9 in the background and within about 90 seconds am blessed with the takes "I'm not sure Matt Campbell is a Mark Few type that stays at a small program" (because those situations are so comparable) and (basketball) "Against Baylor, Texas needs to do what it did against Indiana's frontcourt" (which is like saying Texas needs to establish its run game against Clemson the way it did against K St)

/rant

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chili dog said:

That’s fair, but my point is that there wasn’t a search. It was knee-jerk.  At the time, I probably gave the hire a 7. I didn’t like the losses to Navy and SMU, and the kissing was fucking weird. He called in to radio shows to argue about their takes, too. Weird and unprofessional. There were red flags.

No vetting was done other than watching him win games against big-name schools. We never considered the alternatives (which I admit were few). I didn’t love the hire, but I was certain he’d be better than Charlie (duh). I didn’t think there were many qualified alternatives at the time, but I’d have liked there to have been a vetting process before pulling the trigger at the last second because we had to. Missing on Rhule sucked. There were certainly no sure things available, though. There was no Urban.

This process has been different and the circumstances are different, I’ll agree. I don’t think we need to freak out, though. Not yet. Our infrastructure is much more football-friendly and competent than it was in the post-Mack era. If CDC fucks it up, I probably still won’t freak out. I’ll just advocate for his firing.

I don’t think he’ll fuck it up, though. 

If they get rid of Mensa in mid-January after the CFP Championship and hire a quality replacement, the 2021 TEXAS roster will be better than what Herman started with in 2017.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, wood said:

Hey TG, can you expand on this story about TH and wood floors, a shitter, etc? I never heard the original story and have only caught bits and pieces since then.

200.gif

Allegedly warehime clogged the toilet a the little's house during an inhome visit.  older little confirmed that did not happen and that warehime was weird along with everyone herman brought into their house.  th asked about their hardwood floors - 'what type of floors are these" kind of question...probably nervous since he was on the job less than a week.  th started to walk up their stairs and littles mom redirected him. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TexasGolf said:

200.gif

Allegedly warehime clogged the toilet a the little's house during an inhome visit.  older little confirmed that did not happen and that warehime was weird along with everyone herman brought into their house.  th asked about their hardwood floors - 'what type of floors are these" kind of question...probably nervous since he was on the job less than a week.  th started to walk up their stairs and littles mom redirected him. 

angry schitts creek GIF by CBC

10 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Of course you can, but it's probably harder than winning at Texas or USC.

Which makes the failures at UT, USC (Michigan, FSU, etc..) stand out so glaringly by comparison. It takes longer to build the team and get the pipeline of recruits because of the academic requirements and other things. But Kelly has them rolling. 

Go get Urban. If nothing else he can rip away the rot and get this program going in an actual direction towards success. 

urban or bust! 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, TexasGolf said:

200.gif

Apparently Mensa has the social skills of an awkward 5-year-old

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, TexasGolf said:

200.gif

That’s not what was said. I would know, I told the story on the recruiting board on Shaggy that took on the life of its own that’s led to the apocryphal nature of it now being “Warehime clogged up the shitter at the Little’s household.” 

The original post can be found by some intrepid bastard willing to dive back into Shaggy and pull it up. It’s been years. 

In any event, what happened is on par with your story and was corroborated, wait for it, by the Littles, to numerous people covering Little’s recruitment at the time. Warehime showed up, in winter, sweating and needing to use the restroom. They thought, as any of us would have thought, that he simply needed to piss. Indeed no. He was back there for like 15-20 minutes to the point that it became awkward and obvious. Then he had multiple flushes to get it all down. 

If Little’s dad doesn’t remember that part, it’s probably an insignificant thing for a guy that hosted 100 visitors in that period, but for us, it should remain hilarious and you’re welcome. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 4
  • Fuck You 1

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic