Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

7 hours ago, pops said:

So urban has now had a legit interview and a bullshit favor to a lackey podcast to address and deny and/or quell the Texas rumors. He did neither. 

We regulate any stealin of his property 

We're damn good,  too. But you can't be any geek off the street. You gotta be handy with the steel if you know what I mean. 

Earn your keep. 

Night crew,  Mount up!

Regulators!! 

Burton

continue to be told that Texas is working behind the scenes on a number of possible coaching scenarios, some of which are further along than others. Frankly put, some of those feelers and subsequent conversations have been more well received than others.

However, I expect no major, external movement of any sort until after the various conference championship games. Instead, I expect the normal behind-the-scenes machinations that come with situations like this, and that includes ongoing vetting of potential coaches and assuaging the concern and fears of the existing staff. Please note that just about every major coach Texas would pursue is playing in a conference championship game or in the middle of their NFL season.

In other words, if you woke up this morning hoping for a major revelation from me on the coaching front, I’m sorry to disappoint. I’d say patience is the operative word.

I got the low down on all of the Texas freshman yesterday and how they have been perceived internally.

We’ll go quickly position-by-position.

At QB, Hudson Card came out of the gate strong. He understood the offense, whereas Ja’Quinden Jacksonstruggled in his first couple of weeks on campus with the nuances of the position.

Card throws crisp passes and makes quick decisions. He is considered the best thrower on the roster, and that includes Sam Ehlinger.

Jackson, on the other hand, has really come on of late. He is starting to look like a real long-term option at QB because he has been a relatively quick study and because he is so talented. Props were given to both Jackson for his effort and attention to detail and QB coach Mike Yurcich for Jackson’s development and consistent approach even when Jackson clearly would not play much this season.

Suffice to say, the existing Texas staff is extremely excited with the freshman QBs.

At running back, Bijan Robinson is the most explosive back on the team and perhaps in the conference. He is also a team-leader type, and that could be very valuable in the long run. When a team’s best players are actually the best teammates, good things tend to happen.

The wide receivers in the 2020 class are a bit of a mixed bag. Troy Omeire literally wowed the coaches in fall camp. As outside receivers for Texas have struggled to get off press coverage this season, Omeire is considered the answer. Coaches don’t expect him to merely be good, they think he is a different breed. Words truly can not express how dominant the coaches think Omeire can be. Sometimes players walk onto the field and they’re just different. That’s Omeire.

Kelvontay Dixon has shown some ability and is still considered a good take for the Horns. Dajon Harrison is a different situation. His decision, following an injury, to opt out really kind of took the coaching staff by surprise and disappointed them. It’s an unnecessary lost year of development for him.

Along the OL, Herb Hand struck gold at center. Jake Majors is a what-you-see-is-what-you-get type of player. The staff expects Majors to be an eventual team captain and multi-year starter. Likewise, Andrej Karic has already pushed up the depth chart to become a factor. The question is not whether Karic will be a contributor or starter for the Horns over the long term, it’s at what position. Will he be good enough to play left tackle, or is he tailor-made for a right tackle spot?

Unfortunately, just like a prospector sometimes hits gold, he sometimes gets less than rosy results. It’s way too early to write off Logan Parr by any means, but early results are the expectation of that of a late-career starter or solid back-up. And perhaps the worst news is that Jaylon Garth may very well end up being a medical opt out in time. His initial injury was severe and it just isn’t coming around as much as all had hoped. Again, it’s way too early to write offensive linemen off because of the development time they take, but that’s where those two sit currently.

On the defensive front, Alfred Collins has already played in every game and is a known commodity. One coach called him the best young DL talent he’s ever been around. Vernon Broughton is expected to be a terrific interior pass rusher in the long run. His combo of burst and size make him an ideal threat to get after the QB. Sawyer Goram-Welch is considered one of the finds of the class. While he is currently playing DT, he could move over to offense in the off-season and try his hand at either guard or tackle. Coaches really like his motor, toughness and better-than-anticipated athleticism.

At linebacker, Jaylan Ford has stepped into a potential heir apparent as the most talented linebacker on the team. Coaches like his combo of football smarts, size and relative quickness. They also think he’s football tough. Ford will likely end up a multi-year starter for the Horns. Jayden Hullaby and Prince Dorbah are the other two LBs in the class. Dorbah has plus-ability but coaches would like him to show more tenacity and a greater commitment in his desire to develop as a player. Hullaby is different in that regard. He’s considered a blue collar, lunch pail type. He will strike you and he has no problem giving it everything he’s got on every play.

In the secondary, Kitan Crawford, Xavian Alford, and Jerrin Thompson all have the cut of future starters. Coaches are particularly high of late on Crawford and Alford as they have shown signs of growing into their plus-athleticism with more and more practice reps. Thompson is considered a savvy football player. Alford was singled out as a potential captain-type long term. Crawford is the most physically gifted of the group. That leaves Jahdae Barron, who has already seen significant action on special teams. Barron has some work ahead of him to define his role better but he has the requisite talent to be a contributor and possible starter.

Last but not least...

I hate the Coronavirus

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Burton

continue to be told that Texas is working behind the scenes on a number of possible coaching scenarios, some of which are further along than others. Frankly put, some of those feelers and subsequent conversations have been more well received than others.

However, I expect no major, external movement of any sort until after the various conference championship games. Instead, I expect the normal behind-the-scenes machinations that come with situations like this, and that includes ongoing vetting of potential coaches and assuaging the concern and fears of the existing staff. Please note that just about every major coach Texas would pursue is playing in a conference championship game or in the middle of their NFL season.

For argument's sake, let's assume he is correct.......this is basically saying "Hey, we are just window shopping"....if UT is gonna do something, then do something. MAKE it happen already....whatever it is. I have turtle tom fatigue and it's pissing me off.

I'm going to get negged into oblivion, but in reading Ketch's summary of the Meyer situation it sounds like El Gordo has a pretty cogent take on things. Meyer's "perfect, perfect" situation is Notre Dame, not Texas. It sucks to write that, but it seems to be reality.

I do very very much hope that he is wrong about a rehabilitation campaign coming for Herman. That. Would. Be. Godawful.

Just a heads up: be prepared for the Herman support to start flowing in. He will be on the sidelines in 2021. Y’all may not hold much weight in what I’m saying since I was “wrong” initially, but something came up. I’m not sure what it was, and no one is telling me, but something happened in the last few “minutes” that completely knocked the deal off. I was told 2 things: 1. Herman will be the coach for 2021, but WILL NOT get any extension to help with recruiting. 2.  don’t count out talks again. We will be right back on Meyer. TIFWIW. 

This is interesting. It was my understanding Herman had already been told he was gone. I don’t see how they can come back and say “just kidding”. Gives a little more ammo to the theory that they are holding off on the change until the OSU playoff run is done.
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

I'm going to get negged into oblivion, but in reading Ketch's summary of the Meyer situation it sounds like El Gordo has a pretty cogent take on things. Meyer's "perfect, perfect" situation is Notre Dame, not Texas. It sucks to write that, but it seems to be reality.

I do very very much hope that he is wrong about a rehabilitation campaign coming for Herman. That. Would. Be. Godawful.

Debbie Daycrew has entered the chat.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

This thread is going to fucking melt when CDC says Herman is retained...god I will probably walk into traffic

It’s damn awful. Look at all the energy happening not just here but on other boards. Even Ketch (hate him) admitted that this has been big business for them. The UM flirtation or whatever has brought people out of their apathy. And made them hopeful and excited. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

So apparently the check cutters all want Herman gone and replaced with Urban. But they won't cut those checks unless Urban is locked up? And if Herman comes back they're out for good? Am i getting this right?

Just doesn't seem to add up, this whole thing is mysterious as fuck.

Yeah it adds up. 

They're fucking sick and tired of getting a shit ROI from this football program

Edited by PDX_Horn

CDC and these BMDs need to shit or get off the pot. I have been putting 16 hours day into this thread for the last week plus, neglecting everything else in hopes of not missing a single crumb on this coaching search. My eyes are bloodshot, I now have carpal tunnel, my liver is failing, my wife is pissed and the dogs barked at me when I came out of the mancave last night. Make this shit end in short order....please.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, FloridaHorn said:

CDC and these BMDs need to shit or get off the pot. I have been putting 16 hours day into this thread for the last week plus, neglecting everything else in hopes of not missing a single crumb on this coaching search. My eyes are bloodshot, I now have carpal tunnel, my liver is failing, my wife is pissed and the dogs barked at me when I came out of the mancave last night. Make this shit end in short order....please.

Respect!

UT has to jingle all the way....we can't be a half-ass jingler!

Merry Christmas GIF by Waltermedia

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

So apparently the check cutters all want Herman gone and replaced with Urban. But they won't cut those checks unless Urban is locked up? And if Herman comes back they're out for good? Am i getting this right?

Just doesn't seem to add up, this whole thing is mysterious as fuck.

User name has CUM pos rep

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

Jabba ain't blazing no trails with that take.  Everyone in the college world knows Meyer's dream job is Notre Dame, and if both jobs were available he'd take Notre Dame over Texas in a heartbeat.  Not sure why some Texas fans/reporters are just coming to grips with that.

What Burton let you in on is the whole lot of ignoramuses (FCB, Fatso, Kurt Bowels and AAS) are getting leaks from CDC. Therefore they are reporting what CDC wants them to report. 

Is that part of the plan or something that'll bite CDC in the ass is anyone's guess. 

Edited by maninblack
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Oh No Horror GIF by Adult Swim

We’ve quickly turned into Nebraska and Tennessee.  This entire athletic department, donors, coaches at think we are elite.  We talk about having all this money and we can’t even money whip a coach the way aggy did.  Embarrassing.  Facilities are fucking outdated.  We have a moron in charge that that has never led a big time coaching search in CDC.  He’s left our coach out to dry killing whatever momentum this program had in recruiting.  Our coach thinks he’s some sort of mastermind when he has been routinely out coached and is 0-6 against Patterson, Riley, and Campbell the last 2 years.  Donors like to talk a big game but cannot come together to get a good coach and cannot stay out of meddling.  Just a complete shit show.  

None of these guys deserve their pay.  The stadium will be empty next year and both Herman and CDC will be to blame.  Can’t believe the ou and aggy department run their shit better than us.  Embarrassing...

• Fuck You 4
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, maninblack said:

What Burton let you in on is the whole lot of ignoramuses (FCB, Fatso, Kurt Bowels and AAS) are getting leaks from CDC. Therefore they are reporting what CDC wants them to report. 

Is that part of the plan or something that'll bite CDC in the ass is anyone's guess. 

All CDC has to tell them is "the situation was fluid, and ultimately I changed my mind."  If it's good enough for the "reporters" then it's good enough for CDC.

2 minutes ago, victory88 said:

We’ve quickly turned into Nebraska and Tennessee.  This entire athletic department, donors, coaches at think we are elite.  We talk about having all this money and we can’t even money whip a coach the way aggy did.  Embarrassing.  Facilities are fucking outdated.  We have a moron in charge that that has never led a big time coaching search in CDC.  He’s left our coach out to dry killing whatever momentum this program had in recruiting.  Our coach thinks he’s some sort of mastermind when he has been routinely out coached and is 0-6 against Patterson, Riley, and Campbell the last 2 years.  Donors like to talk a big game but cannot come together to get a good coach and cannot stay out of meddling.  Just a complete shit show.  

None of these guys deserve their pay.  The stadium will be empty next year and both Herman and CDC will be to blame.  Can’t believe the ou and aggy department run their shit better than us.  Embarrassing...

God damn son

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Agree w/ most of this except the bold.  We've been Nebraska and Tennessee for over a decade.  It's a total myth that Texas is a football power.  It's still a name of course, bringing in revenue and TV eyes like the hapless Dallas Cowboys, but as a football power, we've been suck since 2009.

Edited by phdhorn
spelingg
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, RVC2005 said:

Just a heads up: be prepared for the Herman support to start flowing in. He will be on the sidelines in 2021. Y’all may not hold much weight in what I’m saying since I was “wrong” initially, but something came up. I’m not sure what it was, and no one is telling me, but something happened in the last few “minutes” that completely knocked the deal off. I was told 2 things: 1. Herman will be the coach for 2021, but WILL NOT get any extension to help with recruiting. 2.  don’t count out talks again. We will be right back on Meyer. TIFWIW. 

Since no one will tell you "why" the deal was knocked off, has it occurred to you that perhaps you're being used as a tool? 

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic