Jake Smith

FriendofaFriend

59 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Question:  Which transfers -- whether at receiver or any other position -- had significant success at their new school after leaving Texas?  I can't recall any off the top of my head.

Question: Which kind of bear is best?

Just now, MaybeACoordinator said:

Cayleb Jones but he was kicked off the team IIRC. 

I believe he left the team before being released, but it followed his charges on assaulting his girlfriend.  And yes, he did well at Arizona according to Wiki.

In 2012, Jones transferred to the University of Arizona, where he played college football for the Arizona Wildcats Wildcats from 2012 to 2015. He appeared in 27 games, making 26 starts and finishing his Wildcats career with the 10th-most receiving yards (1,923) in school history with 1,926. He is also ranked tied-for-10th in career receptions with 129 and 12th in career receiving TDs with 14 in Arizona's record book.

In 2014, Jones instantly became Arizona's most prolific receiver, catching 73 balls for 1,019 yards in his first year in Rich Rodriguez' system.

Just now, South Austin said:

I believe he left the team before being released, but it followed his charges on assaulting his girlfriend.  And yes, he did well at Arizona according to Wiki.

Read further in the entry -- he picked up a domestic violence rap while barely hanging on around the fringes of a few teams. 

5 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Jevan Snead did okay.

Yeah, he did well at Ole Miss.  Based on the answer to my question, it looks like I just put these guys out of mind when they leave Texas, and I just don't remember any of them performing so much better than those Longhorns at their position where I thought they were a huge loss for us. 

Maybe Jake Smith does well.  Maybe not.  Maybe fuck yourself.

20 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Yeah, he did well at Ole Miss.  Based on the answer to my question, it looks like I just put these guys out of mind when they leave Texas, and I just don't remember any of them performing so much better than those Longhorns at their position where I thought they were a huge loss for us. 

Maybe Jake Smith does well.  Maybe not.  Maybe fuck yourself.

I don't think you are too far off. For every one of these guys there are two or three who flame out at Sam Houston or a midwestern directional school.

Of the QBs, Gilbert had become toxic here and Snead and Buechele realized they would only be backups. While it would have been really cool if those guys had stayed here, that's just not the way kids do it these days with few exceptions. Colt over Jevan was a no-brainer. You could kind of say the same about Sam and Shane, though I think if logic was all that was in play, and there was no awesome backstory to Sam coming to Texas, we might have gone with Buechele. Anyway, point is, these kinds of transfers happen everywhere. 

Don't know the Adrian Colbert story...

For a little while it looked like Desmond Harrison was gonna be the one guy in Charlie's purge who was going to amount to something, but after being named the Browns' starting LT as a rookie it's been all downhill from there. Benched, missed a team plane, which caused him to get cut. He was snapped up by the Cardinals the very next day, but they cut him almost immediately when it came to light that he had been arrested for choking a woman. A free agent now, he is suspended for the first six games of next year, or whatever year, when and if another team takes a chance on him.

Jordan Elliot left because he was a Charlie partisan / Herman-hater I think. It sucks but it seems like you lose a couple of good young players with every coaching change. 

Three years of eligibility notwithstanding, Jake Smith is not particularly young, nor has he shown himself to be good. 

2 minutes ago, sportsbay said:

The receiving room has been anything but good as of late.  What is the problem?  Jake was a 5 star recruit and we wonder why we get recruited negativley when these guys don't pan out.

Just because you’re a 5 star doesn’t mean a 3-4 star can’t develop and have a higher ceiling. And injuries don’t give a damn what your star rating is. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Just because you’re a 5 star doesn’t mean a 3-4 star can’t develop and have a higher ceiling. And injuries don’t give a damn what your star rating is. 

Dammit.  I have already forgotten his name  . .  Mehringer, I think, fucked up our receiver room pretty good.

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

Question:  Which transfers -- whether at receiver or any other position -- had significant success at their new school after leaving Texas?  I can't recall any off the top of my head.

Dan Buckner did fairly well at Arizona.

Added* 

Jean Delance has started on Florida's OL for the last 3 seasons

Edited by Tylerocks

I think Qb is a bit of a different situation because you can be very good, a guy capable of starting, but if you are 5% less effective than one other guy, your playing time will be minimal and likely handing off and victory formation barring injuries to the starter.  Speaking of flames out, there was the guy that wanted out of his commitment very late in the summer so he could go to OU i think and Charlie didn’t release him until the last minute.  Cherry?  What happened to that guy?

Also any of the 5 DL haul of Charlie’s that famed out and left. Any of those guys do anything?  Specifically the edge rusher from Manor… Eric something.

Edited by Lhorn

39 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I think Qb is a bit of a different situation because you can be very good, a guy capable of starting, but if you are 5% less effective than one other guy, your playing time will be minimal and likely handing off and victory formation barring injuries to the starter.  Speaking of flames out, there was the guy that wanted out of his commitment very late in the summer so he could go to OU i think and Charlie didn’t release him until the last minute.  Cherry?  What happened to that guy?

Also any of the 5 DL haul of Charlie’s that famed out and left. Any of those guys do anything?  Specifically the edge rusher from Manor… Eric something.

Erick Fowler- ended up at Sam Houston St.  2nd team all conference in 2018

Cecil Cherry- was a fan favorite heading into the 2015 season. was all hung-ho until practice started.  Transferred to USF, then the head coach left.  Went to Junior college for a year, then to Grambling, then ended up at Tennessee-Martin.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Cecil Cherry- was a fan favorite heading into the 2015 season. was all hung-ho until practice started.  Transferred to USF, then the head coach left.  Went to Junior college for a year, then to Grambling, then ended up at Tennessee-Martin.

You think he's living in a big ole mansion, soaking it up in a hot tub with his soulmate?

FCB's take on Jake, for what it's worth

Spoiler

Jake's time at Texas has obviously been up and down with the injuries, and he did feel homesick during his freshman season. I've said his parents were never really on board with him picking Texas, which can weigh on a student-athlete as well.

It seemed like things were turning for the better when Smith came through in the Oklahoma State game last year.

Jake Smith was close with Jake Ehlinger and Kenyatta Watson, who transferred. (Kenyatta's dad was not a fan of Kenyatta at Texas, either.) But I'd heard rumblings about Jake Smith thinking of transferring before Jake Ehlinger died.

I think Jake Smith breaking his foot on the first day of spring ball sort of made him feel snake-bitten and in need of a fresh start.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

Now the “star” linebacker for the XFL’s Sea Lions

3 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

72837964.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, South Austin said:

G.J. Kinne was having some really good seasons at Tulsa when we were in the GG/Herp/early Ash vortex…

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

He barely played in the (rare) games when Whittington was healthy last year.   He made some plays as a freshman, but I’m not surprised if he doesn’t see a route to a lot of snaps here.  Omeire and Worthy are going to be ahead of him, too, in addition the guys coming back from last year.

He can be a fine WR for a P5 team, but it probably doesn’t impact our WR room very much.   When I first saw his film, I thought he was going to be an elite player for us.   But even before he enrolled it became clear his competition in high school was unfathomably bad, and he might be this era’s version of Traylon Shead.  He looked like Chris Johnson on that high school film, but it turns out he has good but not great speed against other D1 athletes and limited wiggle.

This.

When I watched his HS higjlights, I didnt see the guy I was told to see.

New head coach has stated there are too many WRs. This one can't stay healthy and never really took off... Xfer is probably good for errbody.

Good luck, Jake. Unless you go to a big12 team, in which case...  Break a leg?

• Like 1