Jake Smith

FriendofaFriend

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Do you even watch the games? Ossai had 11 tackles, 3.5 TFL, 1 sack and a forced fumble against TCU alone. He was not just a warm body.
He also was inches away from two strip sacks against Tech. 

He's the best player on a bad defense. I wanted him to be a game changer. He's not.  I hope he becomes one starting this week.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Kai Money has been doing more it seems.

It's depressing that our WRs--whole team in general, really--are bad enough at the fundamentals that the nice kid who tries hard but has DII-level athleticism, a kid whose being suggested for serious playing time at a CFP-contending program should elicit nothing but laughter, can seem like a good option for no reason other than he can run a route as expected and is more likely than not to catch a pass thrown his way. He's the third-best WR on an average high school team, not Hunter Renfrow. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It's depressing that our WRs--whole team in general, really--are bad enough at the fundamentals that the nice kid who tries hard but has DII-level athleticism, a kid whose being suggested for serious playing time at a CFP-contending program should elicit nothing but laughter, can seem like a good option for no reason other than he can run a route as expected and is more likely than not to catch a pass thrown his way. He's the third-best WR on an average high school team, not Hunter Renfrow. 
Call me crazy, but I kinda prefer "more likely that not catches passes thrown his way" over the althletic freak who cant remember the playbook...more likely than not resulting in passes to nobody, occasionally the opposing team.

11 minutes ago, Dangle said:

Are you calling us a CFP-contending program? When have we ever contended for the playoff?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Wiley had two good catches... Agree keep the better players on the field more!!!

This has always been a complaint of mine to Herman's offense. He keeps trying to play what he wants to play scheme wise rather than playing to our strengths.

Play Jake Smith, Jordan Whittington, Josh Moore, and Brennan Eagles if you must have a big man. Stop trotting out TE's if they don't contribute and trying to force the running game with Ingram. He, RJ and Bijan would be better off if we passed to open up the running game vs the alternative.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

Smith was targeted 7-8 times with 6 receptions and a crucial absolute bitch made drop. If that isn’t enough for him, he’s a pussy. Given this and the talk of him being upset about targets last year with 4 6 TDs as a freshman I think it’s safe to say he’s your typical Scottsdale white kid.

fify

The idea that the kids are 'soft' or need to 'cut their own grass' is a bunch of machismo bullshit from keyboard warriors.   The players are fine, it is not like they were all walk-ons and didn't receiver offers elsewhere.   Swapping coordinators and systems yearly and not having an offseason to practice it.   Not getting the people in position is a problem.  Not calling a TO when your defense is misaligned.  When the officials are clearly calling a bullshit game, then have a paper bag, put money into it and walk on the field in front of the stands and offer your bribe to them in full view and on TV for them to call a fair fucking game.    You don't need to be a genius to play the game, but you have to know where you are supposed to be and what your assignments are.   That is on the coaches to get the players to learn by heart at all times.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nivek said:

The idea that the kids are 'soft' or need to 'cut their own grass' is a bunch of machismo bullshit from keyboard warriors. 

In some cases. We definitely have some players who are soft and who have never fought through adversity. It's been a problem here for years, and it's one of the major negatives that the NFL and recruiting foes have used against us. If it were just perception, it wouldn't be effective against us.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

We definitely have some players who are soft and who have never fought through adversity.

or, are no longer willing to fight through adversity now that they've accomplished all they want to at UT by getting a UT scholarship and all that comes with it, and are already mentally onto Phase 2 ("when I'm in the NFL")

Edited by SwanderedTalent

44 minutes ago, Nivek said:

The idea that the kids are 'soft' or need to 'cut their own grass' is a bunch of machismo bullshit from keyboard warriors.   The players are fine, it is not like they were all walk-ons and didn't receiver offers elsewhere.   Swapping coordinators and systems yearly and not having an offseason to practice it.   Not getting the people in position is a problem.  Not calling a TO when your defense is misaligned.  When the officials are clearly calling a bullshit game, then have a paper bag, put money into it and walk on the field in front of the stands and offer your bribe to them in full view and on TV for them to call a fair fucking game.    You don't need to be a genius to play the game, but you have to know where you are supposed to be and what your assignments are.   That is on the coaches to get the players to learn by heart at all times.  

Obviously, you missed the point....machismo?  Ok.....

1 hour ago, UhhhIdk said:

Are you calling us a CFP-contending program? When have we ever contended for the playoff?

August? Every year I buy into the preseason hype to a far greater extent than I should. Before last season began, drunk on bullshit "practice reports," I had a level-ten erection for the destruction Malcolm Epps was about to unleash. JFC.   

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dangle said:

August? Every year I buy into the preseason hype to a far greater extent than I should. Before last season began, drunk on bullshit "practice reports," I had a level-ten erection for the destruction Malcolm Epps was about to unleash. JFC.   

all of us are there my fellow Surly...every one of us , every fucking year 

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

'In some cases. We definitely have some players who are soft and who have never fought through adversity. It's been a problem here for years, and it's one of the major negatives that the NFL and recruiting foes have used against us. If it were just perception, it wouldn't be effective against us.

I really don't buy that.  Our problem has been coaching, development and getting the wrong people.   Poona Ford is managing just fine in the NFL as a soft kid.  Adversity is somewhat overrated, otherwise we would be seeing teams comprised of Penn State survivors.   

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Kasey Studdard on the radio this morning talked about how the defense doesn't seem to have anybody that really gets after people -- no dominant players at any positions.  

Just look at the tcu game -- Not sure why this team didn't play more physically and focused after such a poor showing against TECH.  Where the FUCK are the damn leaders an DAWGS on this roster??

Aren't they tired of losing??

It’s been a fortnight since we’ve had any NFL or prison pipe hitting defenders that just wanted to watch their opponents bleed and cower in fear. This team is all about social media. Instagram brand and looking flashy.  We don’t have any screw loose mother truckers that grew up on the streets not knowing where their next meal will come from bullet holes in their wall shit and that’s the issue.  Other teams T off ans try to end sams life when he runs.  Our guys see a qb running and they lay a pillow down so they don’t hurt him.   Until we get some nfl or bust type players we will always be charmin soft.  Ossai is our closest player that would want to end someone’s love of football if he could. All the rest just can’t wait til the end of the game to get on Twitter 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Players are part of the problem... Don't Bullshit a Bullshitter!!

18 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

It’s been a fortnight since we’ve had any NFL or prison pipe hitting defenders that just wanted to watch their opponents bleed and cower in fear. This team is all about social media. Instagram brand and looking flashy.  We don’t have any screw loose mother truckers that grew up on the streets not knowing where their next meal will come from bullet holes in their wall shit and that’s the issue.  Other teams T off ans try to end sams life when he runs.  Our guys see a qb running and they lay a pillow down so they don’t hurt him.   Until we get some nfl or bust type players we will always be charmin soft.  Ossai is our closest player that would want to end someone’s love of football if he could. All the rest just can’t wait til the end of the game to get on Twitter 

Coburn also plays his ass off... Watch Him Tomorrow!!! 🤘

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

This team is all about social media. Instagram brand and looking flashy.  W

There could be some truth to this.  As we move into the new era of name/likeness/image bullshit where we are heavily selling the come to UT be popular on social media, do things outside of football, enjoy the city, we are going to attract a certain type of athlete.   Recruits that go to Alabama, LSU, Goergia etc, aren't going there for any of that. They are going for the NFL draft and to an extent potentially winning a championship.  

I don't think Texas gets zero of the latter group, but we certainly appear to get more of the Hayden Connors than the Donovan Jacksons. (no racist)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blackcat00 said:

Tom stands on the sidelines and lets these officials butt fuck him with botched calls. At least Strong was ready to fight a motherfucker. 

Well that’s because strong didn’t know if the call was wrong or not because he didn’t know football lol

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

There could be some truth to this.  As we move into the new era of name/likeness/image bullshit where we are heavily selling the come to UT be popular on social media, do things outside of football, enjoy the city, we are going to attract a certain type of athlete.   Recruits that go to Alabama, LSU, Goergia etc, aren't going there for any of that. They are going for the NFL draft and to an extent potentially winning a championship.  

I don't think Texas gets zero of the latter group, but we certainly appear to get more of the Hayden Connors than the Donovan Jacksons. (no racist)

This is nothing new and I think there is a lot of truth in it, mostly because we've run out of reasons.  It's the only thing the football program hasn't/can't change to get out of the dumpster fire.  It has been discussed before.  Austin, Texas offers a lot of distractions.  Oh, and Longhorn Network.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bevo VIII said:

None of that shit even matters. When they come here they are going to be coached by a weak minded all bark no bite pussy head coach. What we see on the field is literally Tom Herman’s bitch ass personality. 

This was perfectly said. Bravo.