Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

On 10/3/2021 at 1:42 PM, conVINCEd said:

Ice maker on the fridge has been kaput for a while.  Not gonna pay to get it fixed because past experience tells me that it will just break again (side note, don’t buy a Samsung refrigerator).  So I pick up a couple of bags of ice a few times a week.  I am not that familiar with the players in the ice game, but Reddy Ice seems to dominate the DFW market.  I picked up a couple this week, and they felt a little light.  Took a look at the bag, and they have changed the bag size from 10 pounds to 7 pounds.  Same price.

Bought a Samsung fridge when we moved into our house in 2015. It’s the biggest piece of shit in our home. Ice maker went out within two years and now it can barely stay cool, or you know, refrigerate. Neighbor moved in a few months after us, bought the same fridge and has had the same issues. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

Bought a Samsung fridge when we moved into our house in 2015. It’s the biggest piece of shit in our home. Ice maker went out within two years and now it can barely stay cool, or you know, refrigerate. Neighbor moved in a few months after us, bought the same fridge and has had the same issues. 

Yeah, I second this.  The ex and I bought one for our new house back in 2006.  Had the same issues.  Piece. Of. Shit. 

As part of my kitchen renovation, I bought a new hood to go above the cooktop for $429.

image.png.ebc22cffd639e0498324bf2d7b142175.png

The sheet metal shroud that goes above it was too short so I set out to buy an extension. It was selling for $120 but no-one had it.

Now it's back in stock, and it's freaking $189. No motor, no lights, no electronic control. Just a a freakin' piece of sheet metal. Holy shit.

27 minutes ago, Superhero said:

As part of my kitchen renovation, I bought a new hood to go above the cooktop for $429.

The sheet metal shroud that goes above it was too short so I set out to buy an extension. It was selling for $120 but no-one had it.

Now it's back in stock, and it's freaking $189. No motor, no lights, no electronic control. Just a a freakin' piece of sheet metal. Holy shit.

Our electrician hooked up our brand new Kitchen-Aid hood yesterday. Lights work, fan doesn’t. KA has a “help with installation” hotline. They will only help if it’s a KA installer, not a general contractor. So we are going to have to return it and get another. Supply chain means it’s probably 6 months out. 
Rage. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Superhero said:

I'm sure some dude at home depot could figure out a cheaper solution.

46 minutes ago, Superhero said:

@deadshank and @ROFL BOX know their way around sheet metal. Keep your $200 in Surly circulation.

• Like 1

That spellcheck informed me the word “edibly” is not a word.

Spellcheck is often wrong about the spelling of words it doesn’t recognize, but this time it was right.

Still, to me the phrase “that mushroom is edibly choice” conveys the info pithily. Compare, “That mushroom is edible and delicious.” One too many words. 

Maybe I’m surly because Texas’ “Drive Friendly”  campaign began about the time I realized society wasn’t getting any smarter. ‘Friendly’ isn’t the adverbial form of ‘friend,’ gotdammit!

Edited by Willfully Horn

2 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Spellcheck is often wrong about the spelling of words it doesn’t recognize, but this time it was right.

Still, to me the phrase “that mushroom is edibly choice” conveys the info pithily. Compare, “That mushroom is edible and delicious.” One too many words. 

You think the edibility of mushrooms a lot.  And post on it a lot.  Some toadstool cock in your life you wanna talk about?  

14 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You think the edibility of mushrooms a lot.  And post on it a lot.  Some toadstool cock in your life you wanna talk about?  

Glad you asked. Always been fascinated with mushrooms. Just today I heard from a friend that a conversation we had bore fruit, as it were, and she had taken the steps to include spore inoculation into the City of Austin’s land restoration projects.

To your point, amigo, mushrooms are much more interesting in their vaginal forms, and not merely for their al dente superpowers. Stag horns ARE funny, so I see why they come to your mind.

Edited by Willfully Horn
More

Show me on the cap where the bad trip touched you.  ;) 

Your posts got me thinking about how much of that we consumed over the years.  Haven't eaten one in ~15 years even though I've seen some Dead shows since then (2009 & 2017).  I still think of this one time in college in Florida.  Somebody turned us onto this grove.  We went out there once, could barely find enough sustainence for one person.  We ended up the show which would be the last time I'd ever see Jerry Garcia perform live---Tampa, April 1995. 

Anyway, we went back there during summer school that year and jammed out to "Fields of Gold" by Sting on the way there.  Roommate and I got out with a standard 13 gallon trash bags 'cause that's all we could find.  Figured it'd be complete overkill.  We filled it up to the brim.  Never seen anything like it before or since.  We gave it away to anyone we could find on campus (this was a school of 3,000 students so during summertime it was maybe 300 and guess what?---everybody was eating shrooms that July, even the Baptist chicks).  We would boil it up as tea, make kool-aid, throw it to squirrels.  We didn't know how to preserve it so after about two weeks, and one really awkward evening with our neighbors...we figured out, "Yeah, these things have a shelf life and my brain just got pushed off that shelf."  What a fucking couple of weeks though.  We even watched a space shuttle lunch from New Smyrna Beach after eating.  I have seen a thing or two in my life, but that was from another world.  /csb

Since I’m now thinking of mushrooms and genitalia, I want to confess that, despite most of a lifetime desiring it, I have never found a clityocybe nuda mushroom. The book describes it as a fleshy, pink and purple cap shroom, which is EASILY PROPAGATED in a compost pile, and, if the book didn’t use the words “edibly choice,” it nevertheless conveyed the information.

It is on my list of Texas foodstuffs that haven’t realized their potential economic benefit.

30 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

"Shrooms: high as fuck" is even more succinct.

““Mushrooms have a benevolent, beneficent spirit behind them, which doesn’t mind humanity and what we are up to, and it doesn’t have it in for us.”
-Bob Weir

They're also good eats. (Though sometimes, only once). And, as I’ve said, they’re saving the bees.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Edit
  • Hook 'Em 1

I have no idea about some of this flora you're describing, you're way more versed in this shit.  Literally.  But it reminds me one other that story and then I'll shut up because after all, we're just talking about pizza toppings.  No harm in that.   

So we're eating some at our off-campus rental house with Kenny.  Kenny was awesome and was literally the only Asian student on our campus that summer (again, small private, Baptist school in Florida).  So it's all kicking in and Kenny gets on this emotional tangent like "you guys are my best friends, let's do this every week..."  Kenny announces, like one person in the group always does, he's gonna bike back to his house and get some fun movies for us to watch (ends up being "true Romance" which was awesome...this is a year after it came out on shitty VHS).  Kenny runs out the door and 5 seconds later you hear screaming.  We all freak the fuck out.  It's broad daylight on a Thursday or Friday.  Kenny didn't make it past our back porch and fell into a thornbush.  Clothes caught most of 'em but one of his hands is just filled with the fuckers.  Wes and I get our collective shit together, sterilize some tweezers, and set about pulling them out one-by-one.  I was proud of our focusness.  Kenny cries and asks, "Am I rotting?" over and over again.  Starts freaking out everybody.  Scott and I talk him down and put on some Dead music.  Finally we finish and give Kenny some band-aids.  It's all good and we watch whatever we have around the house. 

Anyway, few minutes later Wes goes on this tangent about, "Glad you didn't end up on a bad trip Kenny.  Imagine how many early ancestors ate this shit and were having  a great trip for the first time in human history, but then some other caveman ate some of the bad kind and died in front of them.  Talk about a shitty trip, your buddy is dead and now you're wondering if that'll happen to you.  So much of human history must be like that, before people found out what tasted good, what felt good or safe to consume, what got you high or low...so many other people had to get sick or die right in front of you while you were trying to have a good time."  Scott and I freaking the fuck out, Kenny bolts out the door again and we did not see him for two whole days (a backwards ass redneck Florida town, with a lone Asian man in long-sleeves and pants in July...wandering the streets with a bandaged hand and crazy 'shroom eyes).  We got together and watched "True Romance" later that summer over beers and never talked about that whole fucking weird afternoon ever again.  But damn if this thread didn't take me back...

One more post before I turn my phone off. It turns out seeding fungus into the stumps of ligustrums will impair the ligustrum’s ability to sprout anew. That invasive plant provides cover for questionable human choices. The city removes a lot if that plant, which begs the question of what they were doing to stop those plants in the first place.

9 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I have no idea about some of this flora you're describing, you're way more versed in this shit.  Literally.  But it reminds me one other that story and then I'll shut up because after all, we're just talking about pizza toppings.  No harm in that.   

So we're eating some at our off-campus rental house with Kenny.  Kenny was awesome and was literally the only Asian student on our campus that summer (again, small private, Baptist school in Florida).  So it's all kicking in and Kenny gets on this emotional tangent like "you guys are my best friends, let's do this every week..."  Kenny announces, like one person in the group always does, he's gonna bike back to his house and get some fun movies for us to watch (ends up being "true Romance" which was awesome...this is a year after it came out on shitty VHS).  Kenny runs out the door and 5 seconds later you hear screaming.  We all freak the fuck out.  It's broad daylight on a Thursday or Friday.  Kenny didn't make it past our back porch and fell into a thornbush.  Clothes caught most of 'em but one of his hands is just filled with the fuckers.  Wes and I get our collective shit together, sterilize some tweezers, and set about pulling them out one-by-one.  I was proud of our focusness.  Kenny cries and asks, "Am I rotting?" over and over again.  Starts freaking out everybody.  Scott and I talk him down and put on some Dead music.  Finally we finish and give Kenny some band-aids.  It's all good and we watch whatever we have around the house. 

Anyway, few minutes later Wes goes on this tangent about, "Glad you didn't end up on a bad trip Kenny.  Imagine how many early ancestors ate this shit and were having  a great trip for the first time in human history, but then some other caveman ate some of the bad kind and died in front of them.  Talk about a shitty trip, your buddy is dead and now you're wondering if that'll happen to you.  So much of human history must be like that, before people found out what tasted good, what felt good or safe to consume, what got you high or low...so many other people had to get sick or die right in front of you while you were trying to have a good time."  Scott and I freaking the fuck out, Kenny bolts out the door again and we did not see him for two whole days (a backwards ass redneck Florida town, with a lone Asian man in long-sleeves and pants in July...wandering the streets with a bandaged hand and crazy 'shroom eyes).  We got together and watched "True Romance" later that summer over beers and never talked about that whole fucking weird afternoon ever again.  But damn if this thread didn't take me back...

Yep. I wonder about the person who, observing the frothing and twitching body of the person who are twice-boiled poke, said, what if we boil poke THREE times?”

Celebrity kids and getting on tv and opportunities for their shitty talents or lack of any.  I’ve got Today on in the background while I work and they just had Brooklyn Beckham on cooking as he is now a want to be chef.  His feature course he made for them, Steak quesadilla, you would think some fancy spin or something right?  Nope cheap steak and store bought shredded cheese, that’s it.  Any ten year old could have made this.  

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

Celebrity kids and getting on tv and opportunities for their shitty talents or lack of any.  I’ve got Today on in the background while I work and they just had Brooklyn Beckham on cooking as he is now a want to be chef.  His feature course he made for them, Steak quesadilla, you would think some fancy spin or something right?  Nope cheap steak and store bought shredded cheese, that’s it.  Any ten year old could have made this.  

That’s my go-to weekend lunch. Some leftover steak or chicken, cut into strips, put on a tortilla with cheese, in the toaster oven for about 5 minutes. I was not aware I was practicing haute cuisine. 

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

People that get unnecessary haircuts.   You’re basically bald.   Just making my wait longer 

Yeah, during Covid a friend of mine was trying to sell me on this gal he found that would come to his house and cut his hair for $75.  That way he didn't have to bother with an indoor barber shop that could may have Covid all around.  And he's really giving me the hard sell because I told him my wife was cutting mine during the serious lockdown months.  And the whole time, I'm trying not to cry laughing.  He's got maybe 20% of his hair left if I'm being nice.  He should have just let it grow out during Covid, but this asshole is spending $75 every three weeks.  I guess he was helping out a person who was likely almost out of a job.  But now we've both gone back to getting in-store cuts and making guys like you wait longer.  ;)  (my hair starting to thin a bit at the outset of Covid, but thankfully it's back and thicker than ever...I gotta get a cut every three weeks using razor, scissors, and thinning shears.  Sure it's going grey at light speed but it really is nice to have such a lush mop on my head, chicks dig it). 

21 hours ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, during Covid a friend of mine was trying to sell me on this gal he found that would come to his house and cut his hair for $75.  That way he didn't have to bother with an indoor barber shop that could may have Covid all around.  And he's really giving me the hard sell because I told him my wife was cutting mine during the serious lockdown months.  And the whole time, I'm trying not to cry laughing.  He's got maybe 20% of his hair left if I'm being nice.  He should have just let it grow out during Covid, but this asshole is spending $75 every three weeks.  I guess he was helping out a person who was likely almost out of a job.  But now we've both gone back to getting in-store cuts and making guys like you wait longer.  ;)  (my hair starting to thin a bit at the outset of Covid, but thankfully it's back and thicker than ever...I gotta get a cut every three weeks using razor, scissors, and thinning shears.  Sure it's going grey at light speed but it really is nice to have such a lush mop on my head, chicks dig it). 

That's a $75 hair cut?

Weird Movie Brothers on Twitter: "“That's a pretty fucking good milkshake.  I don't know if it's worth five dollars but it's pretty fucking good.”… "

• Haha 2

On 10/5/2021 at 5:22 PM, Willfully Horn said:

Maybe I’m surly because Texas’ “Drive Friendly”  campaign began about the time I realized society wasn’t getting any smarter. ‘Friendly’ isn’t the adverbial form of ‘friend,’ gotdammit!

I love that "one too many words" is what makes you surly, yet you follow up with this:

On 10/5/2021 at 8:31 PM, Willfully Horn said:

Glad you asked. Always been fascinated with mushrooms. Just today I heard from a friend that a conversation we had bore fruit, as it were, and she had taken the steps to include spore inoculation into the City of Austin’s land restoration projects.

To your point, amigo, mushrooms are much more interesting in their vaginal forms, and not merely for their al dente superpowers. Stag horns ARE funny, so I see why they come to your mind.

On 10/5/2021 at 8:42 PM, Willfully Horn said:

Since I’m now thinking of mushrooms and genitalia, I want to confess that, despite most of a lifetime desiring it, I have never found a clityocybe nuda mushroom. The book describes it as a fleshy, pink and purple cap shroom, which is EASILY PROPAGATED in a compost pile, and, if the book didn’t use the words “edibly choice,” it nevertheless conveyed the information.

It is on my list of Texas foodstuffs that haven’t realized their potential economic benefit.

On 10/5/2021 at 9:13 PM, Willfully Horn said:

One more post before I turn my phone off. It turns out seeding fungus into the stumps of ligustrums will impair the ligustrum’s ability to sprout anew. That invasive plant provides cover for questionable human choices. The city removes a lot if that plant, which begs the question of what they were doing to stop those plants in the first place.

Yep. I wonder about the person who, observing the frothing and twitching body of the person who are twice-boiled poke, said, what if we boil poke THREE times?”

You are one verbose motherfucker....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I love that "one too many words" is what makes you surly, yet you follow up with this:

You are one verbose motherfucker....

Yes, you are right. That’s why I take pleasure in sometimes, ok, rarely, crafting a pithy sentence.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Corrected
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/7/2021 at 6:26 PM, ROFL BOX said:

WTF is wrong with you people?49ec6c5238cd6579ecd43c21fcc60444.jpg5756bec7120af9de3f2fcf2c42ece6b5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

A lot of people from Mexico and Central America will wipe their ass and throw the paper om the floor if there isn't a trash can because that's what they do at home. They're septic systems are pretty basic and can't handle a lot of paper so they just throw it on the ground.

• Rage+1 1

^^^^Username checks out. 

I can't tell if that's what's going on in those pictures, or if it's just a shitty (haha) toilet paper dispenser that has too much rolling resistance or is otherwise defective in such a way that you get a thousand uselessly small pieces for every usable length you withdraw. 

If that's what's happening, then the toilet owner deserves whatever mess they get. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, HouTex said:

People that get off an escalator and just stop without giving those behind them anywhere to go. They get pushed away and act like I’ve assaulted them.

the end of the jetway coming back into the airport...

"Hey Martha, just where the fuck are we?  Where MIGHT we find info on our connecting flight or the rental car?"

"oh yes.  Right fucking here in front of other travellers trying to get the fuck out of the airport and make it on their way."

Edited by slorch

47 minutes ago, slorch said:

the end of the jetway coming back into the airport...

"Hey Martha, just where the fuck are we?  Where MIGHT we find info on our connecting flight or the rental car?"

"oh yes.  Right fucking here in front of other travellers trying to get the fuck out of the airport and make it on their way."

You have to correct these idiots. They're not malicious or deliberate, just stupid and oblivious. I usually just say "bad place to stop" in the least sarcastic/passive-aggressive tone I can manage (sometimes I fail at this...) as I navigate around them, and they usually have a Eureka moment and get the fuck out of the main right of way. 

It's less satisfying than shoulder checking them though. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2