The Eyes of Texas

LTtxfan

6 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

It's a shame that these students have chosen to invest time and energy in this meritless suit rather than take the hour or so it takes to read and understand the commission's report.

They have zero interest in facts and truths. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

It's a shame that these students have chosen to invest time and energy in this meritless suit rather than take the hour or so it takes to read and understand the commission's report.

That would require effort and for them to let go of their illogical victimhood which is their identity.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, maninblack said:

That would require effort and for them to let go of their illogical victimhood which is their identity.

8 minutes ago, Deej said:

They have zero interest in facts and truths. 

I don't think either of these assessments are accurate or fair. They were brainwashed by others who had an agenda. Reserve your hatred for those.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

They don’t care.  They’ve already decided it’s racist and they are all victims.  For them to actually consider the song based on facts goes against their emotional/mob mentality.  

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, ousux said:

Is the committees report going to have to be made public/published widely for this to go away?

It's already public. But you have to, you know, read it.

And comprehend.

And grasp that this wasn't a bunch of white folks trying to justify things after the fact, or Uncle Toms pushing an agenda.

"As black students, we kind of feel as if it's not like our voices are heard," said Al-Nasser Lawal, a senior at the school and president of the UT-Austin chapter of the NAACP.
As a graduate of the University of Texas, I am embarrassed that this sentence was spoken by a student at my Alma Mater.  JFC, do schools no longer teach English grammar?  Also, as others have pointed out, just because you didn't get the result you wanted doesn't mean you weren't heard.  Welcome to Life, young man.  The idea of trying to get the Federal government to force the University to change the school song because you find it offensive would be humorous if it wasn't so pathetic.

I mean, at least he put his name on the quote. Which a lot more than I can say for 98% of us assholes on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Rimbo said:

This isn’t the first time society has resorted to the courts to settle a cultural disagreement. 

I’m perfectly fine with this being litigated.

Litigating it is probably the quickest to get the relative arguments laid out in detail and for a third party to opine. 

Not that this will settle the matter entirely, but it will allows those passionate about the subject to be heard. Bring on the civil debate and let’s see where things stand afterward. 

8 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

This isn’t the first time society has resorted to the courts to settle a cultural disagreement. 

I’m perfectly fine with this being litigated.

Litigating it is probably the quickest to get the relative arguments laid out in detail and for a third party to opine. 

Not that this will settle the matter entirely, but it will allows those passionate about the subject to be heard. Bring on the civil debate and let’s see where things stand afterward. 

As pointed out upthread or on the other one, this is currently a Department of Education Office for Civil Rights investigation. It's not clear whether this can or will become a private-party litigation.  I suppose there has to be some opportunity to seek judicial review of whatever (in)action DoE OCR takes.

6 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Good god it's a shitty song, whoever it offends.

I'll sing it every time, but I have to say, when I showed up on campus and we learned it my first thought was "what the fuck does all this shit mean?" We would be just fine if we let the wokes take a win on this one. We would have to work really hard to come up with a dumber replacement. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

29 minutes ago, Jasper_Jester said:

I'll sing it every time, but I have to say, when I showed up on campus and we learned it my first thought was "what the fuck does all this shit mean?" We would be just fine if we let the wokes take a win on this one. We would have to work really hard to come up with a dumber replacement. 

How hard can this be?   “Boomer Texas!  Boomer Texas!  Boomer Texas!  Boomer Texas!……..”

• Rage+1 1

On 9/9/2021 at 12:36 AM, ramirezut said:

I mean, at least he put his name on the quote. Which a lot more than I can say for 98% of us assholes on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the whole statement is beyond moronic.  Shouldn't be allowed out of law school.  That athletes group got most of their demands.  I think about the only things were illegally directing state money to BLM, changing Painter Hall's name (but they got a Sweatt statue in front of it, which was a nice win-win) and the Eyes.

• 1 year later...
Are you calling Little Richard a purveyor of intolerance?

I don’t think he was overtly intolerant, but the song was a product of its time and has unfortunate language. Who are we to have an opinion on what offends someone?

The only acceptable replacement is a moment of silence for the 109 billion humans who have ever died.