The Batshit Insane QAnon Conspiracy Theory

Hugo Stiglitz

Wasn't Wednesday the day that Trump was supposed to start arresting people?  

I mean, it would have been hard to do that considering he played 27 holes of golf.  But you never know.

Serious question---how many official Qanon members really got elected to Congress?  

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Fantastic post.  We really are some monkey-brained motherfuckers, ain't we?

Fucking hell.  How do we convince these motherfuckers that reality ISN'T A GAME?

There is no reality here. No actual solution in the real world. Instead, this is a breadcrumb trail AWAY from reality. Away from actual solutions and towards a dangerous psychological rush. It works very well because when you “figure it out yourself” you own it. You experience the thrill of discovery, the excitement of the rabbit hole, the acceptance of a community that loves and respects you. Because you were convinced to “connect the dots yourself” you can see the absolute logic of it. This is the conclusion you arrived at.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Fucking hell.  How do we convince these motherfuckers that reality ISN'T A GAME?

The connecting the dots analogy really is perfect.  You can throw any random collection of dots on paper, and if someone has a predisposition to read patterns as a unicorn, then dammit, those dots make a picture of a unicorn, and frankly, they think you're crazy if you DON'T see what they see.

Which is scary, because that matches up with how we also see and process reality.  Because reality IS patterns and data, from which we extrapolate conclusions.

Where the breaking point comes is when your extrapolations turn out to be nothing, over and over.  At some point, you have to admit you were wrong.  And that is very, very hard for people, particularly people who have wrapped up their entire identity and self-worth in the belief at issue.

I have extrapolated things from data and evidence and been right, and I have done so and been wrong.  I saw Trump's pattern and practice, and who he was (and importantly, I was able to match his character and behavior with other real-world examples I have had personal experience with), and I could say "okay, knowing that, here's how he is likely to behave in the future in this position."  And I've been largely right.  Likewise, based on my understanding of economics and human behavior, for a long time, I extrapolated that understanding to reach a conclusion that "trickle down" economic theory would result in a net benefit to all.  Turns out that I was wrong, and I failed to account for several factors, most important being human greed at the top.  I was wrong.  It's embarrassing to be wrong.  But I haven't tied my entire life and identity to my (former) belief in trickle down economics.  I don't belong to online fora devoted to the topic, I don't wear "ask me about trickle down!" t-shirts.  So I can drop that belief without destroying who I am.

Qanon types can't do that.  They have given their entire self-worth and identity over to Q, and without it, they can only see themselves as worthless.  When a belief becomes all-or-nothing, it becomes a cult, even a death cult.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The connecting the dots analogy really is perfect.  You can throw any random collection of dots on paper, and if someone has a predisposition to read patterns as a unicorn, then dammit, those dots make a picture of a unicorn, and frankly, they think you're crazy if you DON'T see what they see.

Which is scary, because that matches up with how we also see and process reality.  Because reality IS patterns and data, from which we extrapolate conclusions.

Where the breaking point comes is when your extrapolations turn out to be nothing, over and over.  At some point, you have to admit you were wrong.  And that is very, very hard for people, particularly people who have wrapped up their entire identity and self-worth in the belief at issue.

I have extrapolated things from data and evidence and been right, and I have done so and been wrong.  I saw Trump's pattern and practice, and who he was (and importantly, I was able to match his character and behavior with other real-world examples I have had personal experience with), and I could say "okay, knowing that, here's how he is likely to behave in the future in this position."  And I've been largely right.  Likewise, based on my understanding of economics and human behavior, for a long time, I extrapolated that understanding to reach a conclusion that "trickle down" economic theory would result in a net benefit to all.  Turns out that I was wrong, and I failed to account for several factors, most important being human greed at the top.  I was wrong.  It's embarrassing to be wrong.  But I haven't tied my entire life and identity to my (former) belief in trickle down economics.  I don't belong to online fora devoted to the topic, I don't wear "ask me about trickle down!" t-shirts.  So I can drop that belief without destroying who I am.

Qanon types can't do that.  They have given their entire self-worth and identity over to Q, and without it, they can only see themselves as worthless.  When a belief becomes all-or-nothing, it becomes a cult, even a death cult.

Now that I've finished the whole article, here's what stuck out to me the most.  You could argue the entire trumpkin identity works this way too, not just the Q people.

But how does the sense that the false connections the Q participants are making are REAL develop?

It’s not that strange actually. In fact, the difference between apophenia and science is just the scientific process and the reliance on proof. People make the connection before they know for a fact if it’s real or not. Maybe it is apophenia, maybe not. It’s a hypothesis. A theory. THEN YOU TEST IT. The facts determine the outcome and then, whether it feels good or not, you accept them. Even scientists may not want to let go of a good theory that just isn’t panning out. The feeling of correctness is over-powering. This is why people need to have peer-reviews. Colleagues need to be able to replicate results. Solutions need to be tested and the facts harnessed.

In Q, the proof is more apophenia! Another arrow in the dirt in an endless cycle back to the central propaganda. It has to because there is no truth. The answer is whatever feels the best, makes the most sense, and helps the story. Any truth is just fuel for the propaganda and reinforces the conclusions of the apophenia and central narrative.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Fantastic post.  We really are some monkey-brained motherfuckers, ain't we?

It really is. And some of the insights here may actually be helpful in dealing with juries. Watching a jury deliberate after a mock trial is fascinating because they make conclusions and connections that surprise the lawyers, and those end up being the most firmly held by members of the jury even though there had been no evidence or discussion of those points. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

It really is. And some of the insights here may actually be helpful in dealing with juries. Watching a jury deliberate after a mock trial is fascinating because they make conclusions and connections that surprise the lawyers, and those end up being the most firmly held by members of the jury even though there had been no evidence or discussion of those points. 

Great observation, and kicking myself that I didn't put it together. I've done some mock trials with multiple mock juries, and without fail, we always end up with our jaw dropping listening to at least one of them -- they start to put together patterns and meanings for the evidence that 1) never even OCCURRED to us, and 2) are utterly disconnected to any reality.  And it can be based on things as simple as "all the witnesses on this topic wore button-down collared shirts," and then a bizarre reasoning sequence coming from that.  Shoes have been a basis for such a sequence, IIRC.  It's fascinating.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Wasn't Wednesday the day that Trump was supposed to start arresting people?  

I mean, it would have been hard to do that considering he played 27 holes of golf.  But you never know.

Serious question---how many official Qanon members really got elected to Congress?  

Anyone who got elected to Congress that either believes in Q or even just said they did to get votes needs to be barred from ever stepping foot into The People’s House. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Yes, I agree.  But I'm seeing all kinds of mixed reports from legit news outlets.  Some literally ran on "Qanon above all" platforms" and some just made a perfunctory mention of it at a few speeches.  There's a 1000 scorecards for member of Congress from how they vote on ag subsidies to abortion to how they align with the current POTUS, and all in between.  Just looking for an objective metric for how many fucksticks we have to babysit for the next 2+ years.  

I think that woman from Edwards, CO won her race that represents a district on the Western Slope. I cannot remember her name off-hand. There are several more I am sure.

I want them all tarred and feathered and sent back to elementary school to re-learn basic cognitive skills because this is embarrassing to see adults believing in something so ridiculous.

• Hook 'Em 1

Here’s [mention]Brisketexan [/mention]‘s excellent point represented visually - complete with unicorn!!

9ac3e3dbb23fc5225a53079aecf09382.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 2

On 11/13/2020 at 12:11 AM, pacman said:

Thank you so much for posting this link. That was a great read and I passed it over to one of my computer science loving children. The divergent reality, the dopamine hit, the solidification of thought, it's all there and the master manipulators have succeeded in not only growing the group but are in the process of moving them to a platform where they can further take them to a point of no return. This was a damn scary read. Like the article states, I was dismissive of Q at first. Just garden variety conspiracy theory junkies. But the addition of the Q drops and some of the info that I hadn't known, it sure has a much darker undercurrent. Combining that with Parler sounds ominous. To what lengths will the puppetmasters and their gullible group go?

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Nope said:

Ummmm

D2E4942C-F89A-4C75-933F-6EEDC9A7071F.thumb.jpeg.d3bf3d81d797020942a3af5cd0010da3.jpeg

I just spent 10 min trying to ‘ear type’ just the letter Q on my iPhone but absolutely can’t do it.  If anyone else is able to do this let us know.  Not only was his ear able to type a single capital Q, but also immediately after hit the send button.....

Edited by Horn Dog
  • Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Some Q drama overnight. Jim’s son, Ron, quit his admin role for 8kun day of election, signaling a potential fallout. Last night on parler Ron says Jim posted as Q, then deleted

When he says "compromised" is he suggesting Ron Watkins' account was hacked, cuz it seems there would be a possibility Parler doesn't really believe in free speech.

Edited by Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand

2 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

I just spent 10 min trying to ‘ear type’ just the letter Q on my iPhone but absolutely can’t do it.  If anyone else is able to do this let us know.  Not only was his ear able to type a single capital Q, but also immediately after hit the send button.....

And he also never deleted the tweet, like a normal person would 

• Like 1

Q is Russian backed propaganda designed to weaken the west, especially America. Seems to be working pretty well. 

Trump supports Q because he is completely controlled by Russia since they completely own his fat orange ass.

Trump will do everything he can to weaken this country in the next couple months. He needs to go to rikers, then if he survives that, New York State prison. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 11/15/2020 at 6:24 AM, Hookah Horns said:

I bet pretty much everyone in Q Anon feels like they can't understand how regular Muslims can get radicalized into becoming terrorists. But the same thing is happening to them. 

because you gonna steal the election - imma steal it.

dear Iraq - cuz you gonna bomb me imma just bomb you first

its preemptive premptiveness. 

(cure the narrator - fear is a helluva a drug)

9 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

These people are INSANE.  But both sides or something...

you are going to feel sooooo dumb when you are festering in a cell with the rest of the pedos, nwo elites, satanists and dems.  so dumb.

- it's totally happening next wednesday.  I know we said it was going to happen last month (red october and all that), and then again, last wed, but there is some totally fantastical yet totally believable shit that has altered the time line.

PSS, please exit through the Q gift shop and at least buy a sticker.

• Haha 1

what the fuck does that sentence even mean, "allegedly murdered a fringe legal theorist who was working on her child custody case"?????

what is a fringe legal theorist (or are they all that) and why kill someone trying to help you get your kids back?  What a shitshow.  

This sounds like some shit Fitlump would believe and do.