Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

No there isn't. Even if everything you mentioned came to pass, elections are administered at the state level. Blue states plus WI, MI, PA, NC - all run by Democrats, and all of which would be stone cold Biden locks in this scenario - would run their elections, get well past 270 EV, and that's that. Stupid ass red states can do what they want but that's just ensuring stronger Democratic control of the federal government, which will punish the hell out of them for defying federal law. Here come Puerto Rico and DC as states too.

Trump's and the GOP's incompetence is on full display for four years and y'all think they can postpone an election lol. They couldn't even repeal Obamacare with the trifecta. Fuck out of here.

Electoral college quorum is 359 electors (2/3 of 538).  If red states push elections or refuse to certify election results, the EC won't have a quorum.  Then all hell breaks loose.

My quick math this morning on red state / blue state electors left me with a total of 313 present, 225 not present.  Good news is that every swing state secretary of state is a Dem except Florida.  Still scary.  Here's how I broke the states down, btw.

Alabama 9    Out
Alaska 3    Out
Arizona 11    In
Arkansas 6    In
California 55    In
Colorado 9    In
Connecticut 7    In
Delaware 3    In
District of Columbia 3    In
Florida 29    Out
Georgia 16    Out
Hawaii 4    In
Idaho 4    Out
Illinois 20    In
Indiana 11    Out
Iowa 6    Out
Kansas 6    In
Kentucky 8    Out
Louisiana 8    Out
Maine 4    In
Maryland 10    In
Massachusetts 11    In
Michigan 16    In
Minnesota 10    In
Mississippi 6    Out
Missouri 10    Out
Montana 3    Out
Nebraska 5    Out
Nevada 6    In
New Hampshire 4    Out
New Jersey 14    In
New Mexico 5    In
New York 29    In
North Carolina 15    In
North Dakota 3    Out
Ohio 18    Out
Oklahoma 7    Out
Oregon 7    In
Pennsylvania 20    In
Rhode Island 4    In
South Carolina 9    Out
South Dakota 3    Out
Tennessee 11    Out
Texas 38    Out
Utah 6    Out
Vermont 3    In
Virginia 13    In
Washington 12    In
West Virginia 5    Out
Wisconsin 10    In
Wyoming 3    Out

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

I think you and Hugo and I are TigerDroppings politics refugees that migrated here.

I really used to enjoy that board.

Then Trump happened.

i go back to the Austin360 days, then various iterations down the line...so that's 20 something years in this same hole.  

but yeah, i'm still there...only for the football though.  and the food&drink board...that's a kickass recipe board.

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

No.

Then we go to war.  That's exactly how you start a civil war.  Couldn't write a better banana republic script for doing so.

So far the only saving grace is that the military wouldn't side with Trump.  A dictator without military support isn't dictator for long.

24 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Some pretty sobering analysis here written by a Brisket from another Basket. 

Some cold truth, right here:

Losing isn’t going to change the Republican Party. Changing the electorate, however, will. To that end, the Democratic Party must pass sweeping voting rights legislation; kill off the Senate filibuster; push to turn Puerto Rico and Washington, D.C., into states; grant full citizenship to all immigrants; defund and reorganize the US Department of Homeland Security; in addition to a host of other measures that would force the Republican Party to act reasonably, because without acting reasonably, the GOP won’t have another reasonable shot at power.

But to do that, the rest of us must remember the unpleasant truth about our fellow Americans, which is that more than a third of them would cheer, or shrug, if the coronavirus pandemic wiped out the other two-thirds. They are the “real Americans,” after all. What obligations do they have to unreal Americans? (Some of them would even catch the virus on purpose in order to hasten that end!) When they vote, most people believe mistakenly that the political opposition can be reasoned with. These people need to vote like their lives depend on it, because their lives depend on it.

You don't cure cancer by taking a pill or two.  You do it by a treatment regimen so harsh it makes you fucking puke for months.   The GOP and their supporters 1) have shown us what they are, and 2) have shown us what they will do.  They are authoritarian fascists.  You don't reason with that.  Stop trying to.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:
1 hour ago, 'stache said:
Only Congress can move the election, which won't happen. But even if there was a possibility of no election in November, the president's term still ends at noon January 20 under the constitution. The military leaders will not recognize his authority after that time. But Pelosi is also on November's ballot, and I don't know if there is a "holdover" provision if there is no election for the House of Representatives. Assuming there is not, that means Pelosi would be in limbo since she is on the ballot (regardless of the fact that she is a certainty to win). The next in line in Senate Pro Tem Chuck Grassley, who is not up for reelection until 2022, so under this theory, he becomes president as the only office holder whose office was not affected by the delayed election. Just my thoughts on how that might work in the scenario that is truly not possible in reality.

Read more  

If there's no election I'm pretty certain the Senate would lose its ® majority. Additionally, I think governors have the power to appoint Representatives so I would assume CA would appoint Pelosi back to her spot. Though I could be wrong as I'm many years removed from my high school civics class.

You're right on the first part, and I agree with this article that appointments probably wouldn't occur fast enough to be in effect for January 20. So it looks like Patrick Lehey of Vermont would be president in this asining scenario. But overall, imagine how ridiculous it would be that the entirety of the legislative and executive function would be exercised by only 1/3 of one house of congress. The additional absurdity being the lack of representation by more than half the states.

https://abovethelaw.com/2020/07/no-shut-up-were-not-postponing-the-election/?fbclid=IwAR02KcT8QgRHpF3U7Jy1NbA1_X-9ME47_uSm2JW882LFmsWqgAOXC7AU6SQ&rf=1 

• Hook 'Em 1

I've also read a legitimate argument that the succession act is unconstitutional by including the legislative branch in the line of succession and that it can only be exercised by people elected to the executive (being only the Pres and VP) or their appointees, but if there is a void in the executive altogether, there would literally be no executive branch until an election was held. Again, this is just thought experiment, because the election will happen, and there's nothing trump can do to stay in office when his ass is crushed by the voters.

4 minutes ago, Pasken said:

What if he’s telegraphing his backup plan to try to use mail in ballots to cheat in November.

making up that many votes is a massive effort of man power and money. mail in ballot fraud works best in smallish texas counties, where 50 votes can swing a county commissioner seat. 

9 minutes ago, Pasken said:

What if he’s telegraphing his backup plan to try to use mail in ballots to cheat in November.

Suppression of mail in ballots is already in the works. In Oklahoma, the ballot envelopes are oversized, but it doesn't say anywhere (or it might in small print among the 6 documents they attach to the ballot) that it requires two stamps instead of just one. So I imagine that at least half, if not more, are being mailed with a single stamp and not arriving at their destination, or being returned well after the election.

5 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

It's been asked many times, is this the one that does Dotard in. Maybe we've finally reached that point. This seems big. 

The only thing that does him in is the final count after the election. Don't waste any energy on anything else besides getting as many people to vote for Biden. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It's been asked many times, is this the one that does Dotard in. Maybe we've finally reached that point. This seems big. 
He's been done in. The federalist society cares about hack judges and they've accomplished their mission. They're not accountable to the rabid Trumpkin base so there's no need to pretend like they're with him. Nothingburger when it comes to the 40 percent. They're all in.

11 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I read this as what it is, a warning shot.

Maybe the only benefit of having such inequity in America is that those who truly wield the power have way too much to lose.

Brisket said up above that abuse of power in regard to the election and peaceful transition of power would lead to civil war.  It may, but it assuredly would lead to violence and serious unrest. As if the world and current events aren't enough, this would be truly transformational action would upset an awkward balance of power that has been maintained for centuries.

39 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

making up that many votes is a massive effort of man power and money. mail in ballot fraud works best in smallish texas counties, where 50 votes can swing a county commissioner seat. 

The bigger concern isn't actual fraud with the ballots, but that when the ballots are received legitimate ballots are tossed under a guise of mismatched signatures.

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Goddamn, it's refreshing to hear from Obama. How anyone can listen to him speak, then listen to Trump speak, and conclude that Trump is their guy is beyond me.

Okay, not really, I know why. 

They think trump is more articulate than President Obama.

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Dotard talking. "Today we mourn the passing of.... "

Me: "Holy shit he's actually going to say something about John Lewis??"

".... of Herman Cain. Who died of the China Virus."

Me: "Ah, that's about right." 

Reminded me of the John Mulaney bit, There's a Horse Loose in the Hospital

“I’m gonna run towards the baby incubators and smash ’em with my hooves. I’ve got nice hooves and a long tail, I’m a horse!”..........Ah That’s what I thought you’d say, you dumb fucking horse.

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Suppression of mail in ballots is already in the works. In Oklahoma, the ballot envelopes are oversized, but it doesn't say anywhere (or it might in small print among the 6 documents they attach to the ballot) that it requires two stamps instead of just one. So I imagine that at least half, if not more, are being mailed with a single stamp and not arriving at their destination, or being returned well after the election.

That doesn't really point to a targeted suppression.  They would need to send the oversized envelopes to cities only.  

I guess if the theory is that Democrats aren't as sharp as Republicans in assessing proper postage, fine, but I'm not buying that.

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That doesn't really point to a targeted suppression.  They would need to send the oversized envelopes to cities only.  

I guess if the theory is that Democrats aren't as sharp as Republicans in assessing proper postage, fine, but I'm not buying that.

Its an election for fucks sake, why even require postage? Send out the ballots/envelopes prepaid. Its not like the loss of revenue would turn the USPS bottom line negative. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Its an election for fucks sake, why even require postage? Send out the ballots/envelopes prepaid. Its not like the loss of revenue would turn the USPS bottom line negative. 

The USPS doesn't do that shit for free.  Each local election board would have to allocate funding to pay the USPS for prepaid envelopes.

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Some pretty sobering analysis here written by a Brisket from another Basket. 

it's reminiscent of what Thomas Jefferson said in the musical about Hamilton's demise.  just because he was no longer Secretary of State didn't mean he would not longer be a concern as long as he could write.

Madison: This is great. He's out of power
He holds no office
And he just destroyed president John Adams
The only other significant member of his party

Jefferson:  Hamilton's a host unto himself
As long as he can hold a pen, he's a threat
Let's let him know what we know

Same here.  Trump will no longer be POTUS and he'll trash all the RINOs.  But as long as he has access to Twitter, he will reek havoc on this country.  And even if he's in prison or dead, his legacy of divisiveness will live on.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

The bigger concern isn't actual fraud with the ballots, but that when the ballots are received legitimate ballots are tossed under a guise of mismatched signatures.

Russian hackers changing results, similar to the razor thin ‘victory’ in 2016 

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

He’s bullet proof until proven otherwise. He’s pulled off more shady scams that would have sank any other president.