Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I agree, Roberts has proven he’s no fan of voters rights, especially non white voters

the Dems need to win be a comfortable margin or this country is screwed 

Honestly, I wonder how much of an advantage each one of the following factors gives the GOP:

1) purposeful suppression of minority voters.

2) limitation of voting locations/times.

3) limitation of alternate voting methods (early voting, voting by mail).

I wouldn't be surprised if the GOP has a built-in advantage of 3% or better in numerous states.  That is, if a state is broken down with likely voters of 48.5% GOP and 51.5% DEM, the GOP can still win that state in a toss-up because of the 3% advantage they've created via the voting process and mechanisms.

11 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I agree, Roberts has proven he’s no fan of voters rights, especially non white voters

the Dems need to win be a comfortable margin or this country is screwed 

Username checks out

1 hour ago, LurkingHorn said:

Serious question: what do we do to stop this from happening? Are there organizations fighting this battle right now which need support?

Seems like one of the biggest claims that keeps being made is that there aren't enough election workers to man all the polling locations (these workers are mostly all old folks who are understandably scared of Covid). And because of that, several states have closed a shit ton of polling stations, particularly in minority communities. If that's the real reason, and I have no idea if it's actually true, then hoards of young people volunteering to be poll workers would be a huge step in the right direction.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

he’s such a fucking moron. nobody cares about the number of cases, positive cases, sniffles, asymptomatic, mild, severe, positive/negative rate - they care about the fucking deaths. testing doesn’t affect that, you imbecile. 

HE cares.  He sees it as a contest between countries.

He is utterly devoid of any positive traits whatsoever.  

24 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Could be.  And 30 year old me would be ready to fight.  48 year old me is too fucking tired.  Though I suspect if it comes to civil war, that's as good as self immolation from the perspective of China and Russia.  You think they are going to put their plans on pause to wait to see how it turns out?  I don't.

I am about to turn 57 and I will fight with zero compunction.  I owe it to my family.  Everyone else can fuck off -- you're with me or you aren't.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

One conundrum about this is that there isn't much evidence that Trump or anyone else in the executive branch did anything to control C-19 testing at all.  For better or for worse.

Him "slowing it down" implies that he had something to do with "speeding it up," and I see no evidence of that.

That would be Brett Giroir, the former Rick Perry pal who was brought in at Aggie Health Science until he 'resigned'. Always lands on his feet, gets a little spotlight for a moment, then quietly slips away before anyone notices he hasn't necessarily done anything. Supposed to be the 'testing czar.'

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  While it sounds nice to run away, holding the line here in the US is likely our last, best hope.  If we surrender our position on the globe -- and we're running at breakneck speed to do so -- then what fills the void will not be pretty, for us or anyone else.

We are on the brink of becoming the kind of world that couldn't help but fall into a WWI and then a WWII.  This decade is where liberal democracy -- the concept that largely kept the peace and paved the way for unprecedented prosperity for 75 years -- makes its stand.  And yes, the inherent flaws of liberal democracy helped bring this moment about -- there are weaknesses that were there to be exploited.  But now, the fight is an existential one.  

There are people who don't think it is as serious as making our stand in the fight for everything right now.  They are wrong.  That is absolutely what is at stake.

Between reading your takes and hearing (or reading the captions - the man is hard to decipher) on Noam's take, I'm starting to think this trump fellow might be doing some real damage...

1 hour ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

https://www-cbsnews-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/trump-eric-beach-3m-masks/?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#app

The best people. Huge Trump donor and co-founder of a pro-Trump PAC set up a medical supply company intending to price gouge 3M N95 masks.

"According to a document from Colt's partners, they were offering masks for up to $2.20 each, which is a markup of 93 cents above 3M's list price. The group was also seeking a 10% commission on the final sale."

I stopped in a liquor store last week and they had N95 masks for sale at over $9.00 each. I didn't buy one and didn't stick around because I was on my way to pick up a carryout dinner order. I might have to go back and ask the owner about how and where he got them. I assume he was price gouged and is just passing along the gouging to his customers. Hopefully they're not selling. 

I got the link re: the N95 price gouging via a group text. One of the 3 Trumpkins in the group replied back with "gee, businessman sees opportunity & pivots to address changes in market & makes a profit. Where's the crime?'

I hope the next time she has a flat tire a businessman "pivots" and charges her $500 for air.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

"According to a document from Colt's partners, they were offering masks for up to $2.20 each, which is a markup of 93 cents above 3M's list price. The group was also seeking a 10% commission on the final sale."

I stopped in a liquor store last week and they had N95 masks for sale at over $9.00 each. I didn't buy one and didn't stick around because I was on my way to pick up a carryout dinner order. I might have to go back and ask the owner about how and where he got them. I assume he was price gouged and is just passing along the gouging to his customers. Hopefully they're not selling. 

I read an article a while back about the large number of fake N95s out there. So there's a chance those $9 ones are fake anyway

3 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

There have been a few sporting events in my life (TX/OU 2008, 2017 WS G5) where in the days following, I wanted to read literally every single thing written about them on the internet.  The Tulsa debacle is approaching that territory.  

Yeah this isn’t 2008 Texas OU but it will do for now. 

23 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

That would be Brett Giroir, the former Rick Perry pal who was brought in at Aggie Health Science until he 'resigned'. Always lands on his feet, gets a little spotlight for a moment, then quietly slips away before anyone notices he hasn't necessarily done anything. Supposed to be the 'testing czar.'

don't forget the one day kushner was involved.  i think he even made it to a daily press briefing.  that went over well.

1 minute ago, SubliminalHorn said:

11/4/20 and 1/20/21 will rise to that and '05 National Championship levels

I'm already considering taking Wednesday, November 4, off from work. Either way the election turns out, I'm going to be doing some drinking.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

The sitting president just said that the next election is rigged. Won't even be a story. 

Excellent quiet moment of perspective and dead right. Proclaiming the press and others enemies of the state, stating that state governors who are nice to him will get funding, the constant lies, and now a pronouncement about the validity of the upcoming national election are just part of the daily stream from the White House. Nobody even takes much notice.

He is the perfect tool for Putin's desire to discredit western democracy. 

15 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I read an article a while back about the large number of fake N95s out there. So there's a chance those $9 ones are fake anyway

Good point. I hadn't considered that. The pharmacy at the nearest CVS to me has had a sign up for weeks that says, "Do [sic] to the virus outbreak face masks are out of stock." There's something backward about that message beyond the spelling error. Due to the virus outbreak, protective gear should be in abundant supply by now if we had competent leadership in Washington. But it does make you wonder how a liquor store has N95 masks while the CVS Pharmacy doesn't. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I'm already considering taking Wednesday, November 4, off from work. Either way the election turns out, I'm going to be doing some drinking.

I will be drinking that Tuesday night in a hotel bar on the river walk. That’s where I was when this shitshow started and that’s where I will be when it ends. 

And it doesn’t? I’m jumping in the river with a plastic gun and committing suicide by cop. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I took a half day the day after in 2016. It was the worst afternoon/evening ever. Really the worst everything.

This year I'm planning on taking election day and the day after off. I was planning on volunteering to take people to the polls, but with Covid, that plan is now up in the air. Still want to be involved somehow to get people to the polls. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I will be drinking that Tuesday night in a hotel bar on the river walk. That’s where I was when this shitshow started and that’s where I will be when it ends. 

And it doesn’t? I’m jumping in the river with a plastic gun and committing suicide by cop. 

I watched it unfold at The Old Absinthe House in New Orleans. I don't have to go to NOLA for work anymore, so I guess I won't be returning to the scene of the crime. (No way I'd squeeze into a FQ bar with Covid anyway)

51 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Seems like one of the biggest claims that keeps being made is that there aren't enough election workers to man all the polling locations (these workers are mostly all old folks who are understandably scared of Covid). And because of that, several states have closed a shit ton of polling stations, particularly in minority communities. If that's the real reason, and I have no idea if it's actually true, then hoards of young people volunteering to be poll workers would be a huge step in the right direction.

This is something I've heard about recently and am looking to get setup to work a polling station in my county. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I watched it unfold at The Old Absinthe House in New Orleans. I don't have to go to NOLA for work anymore, so I guess I won't be returning to the scene of the crime. (No way I'd squeeze into a FQ bar with Covid anyway)

Still pretty sure I got Covid back in March, and I'm pretty sure that's the exact place where I got it.

3 hours ago, DigDug said:

This is exactly it.  Voter suppression will be, actually already is, very blatant and right out in the open.
 Republican run states are already saying, yeah we’re going to screw you over, and what are you going to do about it.

narrator: no one is going to do anything about it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I do like that place but it will be a couple years before I ever go back. If that. 

52 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I am about to turn 57 and I will fight with zero compunction.  I owe it to my family.  Everyone else can fuck off -- you're with me or you aren't.

Who do we imagine being in the sites of our rifles? Seriously. If a fight breaks out, what would it look like? Maybe that's for another thread, but I'm curious.

If the Army gets involved, then their side wins. Period. Only since Trump has been elected have I ever wondered where the Army stands politically.

Banana Republic.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Who do we imagine being in the sites of our rifles? Seriously. If a fight breaks out, what would it look like? Maybe that's for another thread, but I'm curious.

If the Army gets involved, then their side wins. Period. Only since Trump has been elected have I ever wondered where the Army stands politically.

Banana Republic.

I have no idea.  I'm just saying if there IS a fight, I'm in it.

I do think massive civil unrest would at least give military leaders pause.  They are sworn to uphold the Constitution, not a banana republic.  It could easily turn out that Americans just fold and accept their fate, but I have a greater than 0% belief that would not happen.  There are so many things that have to play out between now and then, though, it's completely hypothetical at this point.  I'm just not willing to say I'll accept an election result in the chance it is blindingly obvious the outcome was manipulated.  If we're not hypothetically willing to stand up at that point, then what good is the Republic in the first place?

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have no idea.  I'm just saying if there IS a fight, I'm in it.

I do think massive civil unrest would at least give military leaders pause.  They are sworn to uphold the Constitution, not a banana republic.  It could easily turn out that Americans just fold and accept their fate, but I have a greater than 0% belief that would not happen.  There are so many things that have to play out between now and then, though, it's completely hypothetical at this point.  I'm just not willing to say I'll accept an election result in the chance it is blindingly obvious the outcome was manipulated.  If we're not hypothetically willing to stand up at that point, then what good is the Republic in the first place?

Trump has not been the president nearly long enough to so thoroughly corrupt the American military to the point where it turns on its own citizens. If he gets another term however...

4 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Trump has not been the president nearly long enough to so thoroughly corrupt the American military to the point where it turns on its own citizens. If he gets another term however...

I think it's pretty obvious that, top-down, the military is starting to develop significant opposition to Trump.

45 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

If you're black you won't even need the plastic gun. Just have your keys or something. 

If you're white you'll not only need a real gun but be actively firing at the cops first. 

Edited by Wanker Bob

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

So basically everyone in the White House votes by mail? Of course they do. 

I do not understand why they are not being absolutely hammered about this.  Why is it fine for the White House and Trump's family, but not the rest of the country?