Donald Trump 2020

Francisco 2.0

When the arena that held the rally comes out and says the campaign is fucking lying.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/bok-center-puts-down-social-media-rumors-that-arena-staff-contributed-to-trump-rallys-lower/article_eaa479ce-5535-5cc4-a8ea-77e00bcb0465.html

Finger-pointing for Saturday's lower-than-expected attendance at President Donald Trump's reelection campaign rally in Tulsa has been aimed at everything from COVID-19 fears stoked by the media and overreaction by local law enforcement to a grand conspiracy by teenagers to grab up tickets with no intention of attending. 

But management at the event venue on Monday flat-out denied social media rumors circulating that suggested their employees had kept people out by abandoning checkpoints where attendees had their temperatures taken about an hour before the 7 p.m. rally.

"To be clear, the BOK Center’s responsibilities for Saturday’s event began at the facility doors," read the written statement. "Attendees were screened blocks away under the watchful guidance of secret service and other law enforcement agencies. We cannot address what transpired at those checkpoints, but we can state that every attendee who passed through those security processes, were able to easily access the building in plenty of time for the start of the rally, if they so chose to enter.

"The building also had no control over the events taking place outside of the venue. That event and all of its logistics was handled by the event organizer. If attendees were delayed in any way, it was solely at the direction of the event organizer who had control over the outside perimeter."

Asked whether BOK Center management ever halted admission over the lack of social distancing or concerns about capacity, Meghan Blood, director of marketing for ASM Global, the venue management and services company, responded: "No one was barred from entering in the last hour before the rally began due to any reason, including capacity. If attendees were delayed in any way, it was solely at the discretion of the event organizer."

The Tulsa World estimates that about 10,000 people were inside the BOK Center for the rally by President Trump's campaign. At full capacity, the arena can accommodate about 19,000. 

Spoiler

Andrew Little, public information officer at the Tulsa Fire Department, has told the international media that 6,200 people attended the rally. On Monday, he told the Tulsa World he had been receiving a lot of questions about the origin of that information.

"The number is from scanned tickets. That is information that is given directly from the BOK Center to the fire marshal, who was there to ensure safety. Scanned tickets did not include media, suite holders or staff from the rally or the BOK Center," Little said. 

He added: "We are not in the political business. It is not our job to say whether it is a low number or a high number. The only thing that matters to us is if everyone is safe."

Expectations had been much higher because Brad Parscale, the chairman of Trump’s 2020 campaign, said earlier last week that there had been more than 1 million tickets requested for the event.

Parscale over the weekend blamed the media for warning people away from the rally because of COVID-19 risks and expected protesters. And he reportedly told the New York Times "that local law enforcement in Tulsa had overreacted, making it difficult for supporters to gain entry" and even claimed to have thousands of emails from supporters who tried to get into the BOK Center and were turned away.

Two Tulsa World photojournalists documented only one instance in which TPD closed an entry gate to the secure perimeter that had been established for several blocks in every direction around the arena.

Time stamps on their photographs show that a gate on Fourth Street near Cheyenne Avenue was closed from 3:11 p.m. through 4:06 p.m. because anti-Trump and Black Lives Matter protesters had converged there.

"I don’t think they were trying to get in so much as they were trying to bar others from getting in," Tulsa World Photo Editor John Clanton said of the protesters. "TPD and (state) troopers in riot gear and face shields came in and formed a line. Someone from TPD was announcing we all had to get back half a block.

"It was slightly less than an hour when people (attending the rally) started trickling back in, but this is not a massive amount of people – maybe 30 to 50 people. It’s not like there was a bunch of Trump people trying to get in right then. Most of the people who wanted to be in the BOK Center were already inside because the gates opened at 10 (a.m.). At that point, protesters were definitely outnumbering Trump fans."

Tulsa police did not respond to the Tulsa World's request for comment on this story. 

18 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I watched about 30 min of the clown show Saturday. I wanted to see what he talked about in his first rally in months. I think a lot of people were watching just to see the car wreck. 

I watched the Tulsa Rally for the same reason I watched NASCAR races come back.  So I could watch stupid people make mistakes.  

3 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Eewww the makeup on his collar!

b5abc91ef4a3bac8fbecbd007fb9aecc.jpg
eaeec519b76f2cfff2e2f3d93c447168.jpg

I mean, I can see how he shart his khaki golf pants.  We've all played with swamp ass before. 

But how do you shart the collar of a dress shirt?  Surly gonna surly, i suppose...

11 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Odds on number of staffers that test positive before/during the Phoenix event? Probably wouldn't be able to find out since it isn't managed the same way the Tulsa rally was, but  the final total for Saturday was 6, correct?

It’s up to 8 now. 

I am increasingly convinced that the Lincoln Project has some psychologists on staff and they're purposefully triggering Trump to force him to do stupider and stupider shit.
And, I mean, that's probably bad for the country in the short term, given that he has the nuclear codes and everything.  But it's probably great as an electoral-politics play.

told my wife the exact same thing last week...

Campaign fluffers working overtime, apparently.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trumps-rally-was-a-disaster-but-it-wasnt-even-his-biggest-one?via=twitter_page

Shortly after Saturday night’s less-than-packed rally in Oklahoma, President Donald Trump was handed pieces of printed paper that aides thought would cheer him up.

The pages, according to an individual involved in the matter, included a collation of various copy-and-pasted live tweets by some of the president’s most prominent allies and diehard fans lauding Trump’s speech and celebrating the event as an unmitigated triumph against Joe Biden. 

The effort at ego-soothing, which came despite numerous Trump campaign and White House officials privately conceding that the Tulsa gathering had been a clear-cut debacle, didn’t have its intended outcome. The president barely skimmed the papers. And he was visibly downbeat as he rode back to Washington, D.C., aboard Air Force One, having come to the realization that—by the very metrics set by himself and his own campaign—his rally had failed. 

According to three people with knowledge of the matter, the president’s mood had been foul even before he hit the stage—as he took stock of the wide empty space in the arena. Some advisers were genuinely surprised that he was able to seem as buoyant as he did during the speech itself.

Soon after the rally ended, the facade was dropped. President Trump complained to top advisers about being put in a position where the media could mock him. He ordered his team to immediately find out what went wrong. And two of the sources said the president suggested there would be major consequences for campaign staff if this wasn’t “fixed” and if he saw too many empty seats at his next coronavirus-era mega-rally.

Spoiler

Among various Trump associates and staff—as well as GOP veterans—the blame was directed at Michael Glassner, the campaign's chief operating officer, and Brad Parscale, the campaign manager.

“It was a disaster and I think the reality is that it's not a good way to start a general election campaign,” said Ed Rollins, a veteran Republican strategist who leads the pro-Trump group Great America PAC, who also said Trump had “no message” and was “rambling” during the speech. “If I were the president…I’d get a campaign manager who is running a campaign, not companies outside of it…My sense is [Brad Parscale’s] making way too much money…It's not my style to criticize a campaign manager, having run one myself, I know how difficult it can be, but in this case, something is not working and something has to change.”

However, multiple sources familiar with the reaction from Trump and his son-in-law Jared Kushner, who has tremendous power over the direction of the campaign, said that Parscale and Glassner's jobs were safe as of Monday.

That left Trump officials with the task of pretending that the president wasn’t pissed off at all. On Sunday, Trump campaign comms director Tim Murtaugh denounced the “trolls thinking they hacked rally” tickets, and pinned the low headcount on “media-stoked fear” for families who wanted to attend. On Monday, White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany was reduced to boasting about the rally’s television ratings. And one source familiar with the situation, in trying to explain the porous attendance, was forced to concede that the campaign had made a massive mistake in fairly basic event planning operations. According to the source, the president’s team did not spend the usual amount of money doing advertising and outreach for the rally because it thought ticket demand was organically high—seemingly unaware that Trump-trolling teens and K-Pop fans and Tik Tok users were wildly and artificially inflating it. 

But even with those missteps, the lackluster rally attendance came as cracks appear to be forming in one of the president’s key political assets—his formidable, and for a time unmatched, grassroots appeal—and as his Democratic rival overtakes him in an area dominated by Trump in 2016: small-dollar fundraising.

As Trump was on stage in Tulsa, his campaign filed its most recent financial report with the Federal Election Commission, revealing that it had brought in just under $25 million last month, well short of the nearly $37 million in receipts reported by the Biden campaign. The real concerns for the Trump campaign, though, were in the details. For the second time in three months, Biden’s campaign reported beating Trump’s in small dollar donations, both in terms of gross receipts—Biden more than tripled the $5.4 million that Trump brought in in May from donations of under $200—and as a share of total individual contributions. All told, 38.2 percent of individual donations to the Trump campaign in May came via contributions of less than $200, compared to 47.2 percent for Biden.

In addition to its campaign contributions, the Trump campaign leans heavily on a joint fundraising committee with the Republican National Committee that also regularly reports robust income from small-dollar donations. That committee hasn’t yet reported its fundraising totals for the second quarter of the year, though it will likely boost Trump’s small-dollar fundraising numbers considerably when it does.

A direct comparison of the two candidates’ campaigns, though, reveals that Biden has closed the gap considerably as his campaign has dramatically scaled up its grassroots fundraising.

Even as a coronavirus-induced recession hammered American pocketbooks, Biden’s small dollar fundraising has exploded. His campaign brought in nearly $20 million from donations of under $200 in March, according to its FEC filings. That was more than the Trump campaign has ever reported raising from small-dollar contributions in a single reporting period. And Biden has largely kept up the momentum. In March, an aide said, his average donation was $40; by April it was $32, and by May it was $30. The campaign had tripled the number of online donors since February.

Trump’s political machine has been driven largely by those small-dollar donors since he declared his presidential candidacy in 2015. For that first run, Trump himself provided tens of millions of dollars of his own money, but to the extent that the campaign leaned on its donors during his run against Hillary Clinton, those donors were overwhelmingly giving small sums.

That was a stark contrast to Clinton, who relied on larger “itemized” donations of more than $200. In all but one financial reporting period, Clinton’s campaign brought in less than a third of its individual campaign contributions from donations under that threshold. Trump, meanwhile, was consistently bringing in more than sixty percent of his individual donations from small-dollar contributors.

A Trump campaign official said on Monday evening, that they had "a robust digital fundraising operation built since 2016, and it has only continued to grow,” adding that the “Biden campaign is structured completely differently and the comparison disregards the tremendous amount of support we have received from small dollar donors over the years." The official noted, for example, that the totals being reflected on finance reports did not include "anyone who purchases an item from our store, or engages with one of our emails.”

Trump and the GOP’s mammoth grassroots fundraising hauls have been a great point of pride—and a significant talking point—for the president and his lieutenants, who’ve used it over and over to bash Biden as a weak candidate with severely dampened enthusiasm among even hardened Democratic voters. It’s also yet another data point that the president’s top aides say they print on paper, as they do with his fan-tweets, to hand to Trump to help stroke his ego.

For now, the president’s senior officials will also have to settle for bragging about Trump’s headcount for the online viewership.

“President Trump is eager to keep hitting the campaign trail and holding more rallies to speak directly to the American people,” Murtaugh said in a statement to The Daily Beast on Monday. “Thousands of supporters turned out in Tulsa, even in the face of media-stoked hysteria about the coronavirus and the potential for violent protests. As of Monday morning, more than 11.3 million people had watched the President’s rally online, which doesn’t even count television viewership. This is an enormous audience that Joe Biden couldn’t even begin to dream of from his basement.”

Edited by Francisco 2.0

womp womp....

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-china-navarro/white-house-adviser-navarro-says-china-trade-deal-is-over-idUSKBN23U02Q

White House trade adviser Peter Navarro said on Monday the trade deal with China is “over,” and he linked the breakdown in part to Washington’s anger over Beijing’s not sounding the alarm earlier about the coronavirus outbreak.

image.png.f8ecf700b781abf30d2f3c476fc40595.png

Edited by Blotto

So, CA, NY, and IL will go blue. Those three alone are 104 electoral votes. I think Texas and/or Florida has a shot. Let's say Texas goes Red, and Florida, miracle, goes blue. That is 133 blue to 38 red. That means Biden only needs 137 more, and I think he would get it easily. If Texas somehow flips, Trump has zero shot.

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So, CA, NY, and IL will go blue. Those three alone are 104 electoral votes. I think Texas and/or Florida has a shot. Let's say Texas goes Red, and Florida, miracle, goes blue. That is 133 blue to 38 red. That means Biden only needs 137 more, and I think he would get it easily. If Texas somehow flips, Trump has zero shot.

https://www.270towin.com

is your friend

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Lulz.  If Biden gets the 5 most populous states, watch out. 

(gentle friendly ribbing, hopefully)

56 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I'm guessing it might be tied to this:

32 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Or this:

I'm offering up a third. The New Yorker had this lovely article about Fiona Hill, the wonderful and "nasty" woman, who has my respect. It did not paint the president in the best of lights.

• Like 1

Gee, Bill Barr might have been less than forthcoming with his potential replacement at SDNY:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/more-on-bill-barrs-friday-night-caper

Just to refresh our memories, in Bill Barr’s original announcement he said that Geoff Berman was resigning, that he would be replaced on an acting basis by the US Attorney in New Jersey, Craig Carpenito, and that Carpenito would run both offices until Berman’s replacement, SEC Chairman Jay Clayton, was confirmed. 

It now seems that Barr may not have leveled with all the folks involved.

I’ve learned that on Saturday morning Carpenito held a conference call with the entire staff of the New Jersey US Attorneys office and told them the first he heard of the whole thing was on Friday afternoon. Barr called Friday afternoon and asked him to step in to run the office in Manhattan on a temporary basis. Barr told Carpenito and Carpenito said he believed that Berman had already resigned or was in the process of resigning. In other words, he was told that Berman was leaving on his own volition and he agreed to take over on that basis. He was shocked to learn later in the evening that Berman hadn’t resigned at all and was refusing to do so.

On Saturday afternoon Barr upped the ante and claimed that Trump had fired Berman. A short time later Trump told reporters he wasn’t involved. So Barr had lied again. Or perhaps Trump was lying. Either way, Barr never produced a letter over Trump’s signature firing Berman, which he certainly would have if one existed. But in that follow up Barr did drop the Carpenito takeover idea and agreed to have Strauss succeed Berman.

It’s not clear to me and it may not have been in the conference call what Carpenito would have told Barr if he’d known that Berman wasn’t going voluntarily or in fact hadn’t resigned at all. But he seems to have been clear with staff that Berman’s late Friday night press release had changed the equation for him considerably.

Imagine having a long history of being such a shitty human being you have to get your family to sign a NDA.

I feel like that is what his base celebrates about him. "He knows how to get peeple to sign nondeskluaure agreements" to own the libs. Shit Cooter if we could do that they can't say shit when we call Dem retards retards an shit. "

I think now is the time for "moderate" types to just take a calm approach to this whole thing going forward.  One needs to realize that this scum President is capable of anything, but I think  its important to throw out the vibe of expecting a calm, competent transfer to the new administration.  I think the only thing that can really harm Biden is the idea that all Dems are panicking, or laughingly overconfident, or expecting illegal voting moves, or swinging too far left, etc.  I'm happy with the comedians embarrassing Trump, but I'm going to laugh silently.  More importantly, we need to lower our heads, make sure everyone who can vote against Trump and the Republicans votes, get those votes out,  but otherwise get ready to have more adults in office.  And give off that vibe.
That sounds like egg-shell walking seriously abused spouse bullshit. "Don't enrage the Donald"

The entire country is accommodating an insane toddler. Fuck let's postpone addressing Corana lest we anger Missa Donnie

9 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

"According to a document from Colt's partners, they were offering masks for up to $2.20 each, which is a markup of 93 cents above 3M's list price. The group was also seeking a 10% commission on the final sale."

I stopped in a liquor store last week and they had N95 masks for sale at over $9.00 each. I didn't buy one and didn't stick around because I was on my way to pick up a carryout dinner order. I might have to go back and ask the owner about how and where he got them. I assume he was price gouged and is just passing along the gouging to his customers. Hopefully they're not selling. 

I used to think this guy was funny. Maybe he was.  

44 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Thwir map based on current polls:

https://www.270towin.com/maps/biden-trump-polling-map

I think they consider anything with 5 points a "toss up" for these purposes.

270towin is a tool, not a predictor. And the site owner will tell you as much.  He compiles polling data, but that’s not where you should be gathering your info. 

1 minute ago, Bateshorn said:

270towin is a tool, not a predictor. And the site owner will tell you as much.  He compiles polling data, but that’s not where you should be gathering your info. 

That's well understood on my part, but that's why I prefer to look at the current polls map to get a better picture of their impact on the Electoral Votes picture rather than looking at the consensus or Cooke Report maps, which kind of are predictions because those are based on pundit opinions/predictions. I understand that the current polls map is a reflection of what it'd look like if the election were held today.

17 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

That sounds like egg-shell walking seriously abused spouse bullshit. "Don't enrage the Donald"

The entire country is accommodating an insane toddler. Fuck let's postpone addressing Corana lest we anger Missa Donnie

Not remotely interested in what the Donald thinks. 

I want to make sure that the very limited number of folks who are on the fence think that the adults are going to take control next year, and not some mythical far left radicals.  In other words, if Biden is going to play the hard moderate hand, I want there to be some serious moderates supporting him.  In other words, I think the message has to come from different angles, and after this week, I think we have the ridicule angle all sewed up.

• Like 1