Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Mortality rate is not the problem.  Well, if you’re over 65 it is.  

The problem is the 15-20% who need to be hospitalized, have their fluids checked/dripped, and need to be intubated to keep their airways open.    For 2-3 weeks.   Oh, and the people maintaining their IVs, oxygen, etc, have to be in serious PPE    

That would overwhelm American healthcare.   We are just not setup for a shit-ton of people being hospitalized and quarantined for 2-3 weeks each, with healthcare providers wearing full PPE.  

By the end of next week, China will have thrown together over 25 new hospitals in and around a single city of 9 million.

China wouldn’t give this much of a shit about a few hundred thousand people, unless it is That Bad.   

Not only do we not have the capacity, we also have a money problem. The average cost of an ICU day is estimated at US$10,794.00 for the first day and then plateaus at US$3,968/day by the third day, depending on the need for mechanical ventilation. Can you imagine the number of people complaining about their bill?

2 hours ago, Somnio said:

It's concerning to me that the CDC is saying get ready, because this is probably going to get bad while our president is majorly downplaying the situation, and letting everyone know it's no biggie and is under control.

WTF?

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

I would think the president would say remain calm and be vigilant. And I would think the CDC has been waiting its whole existence for such an event. I've worked with the CDC's infectious disease team to develop products. I respect the institution. But they are about to become a leader in the US where people will listen to them before any other person or entity in the US.

What do you think would happen if a large meteor was headed towards earth? The president would say remain calm, we've got this. NASA would say prepare your anus.

What I am saying is that each group has its own agenda. The president's agenda is to allay fears and instill confidence. The CDC's agenda is to get the virus under control and to do that it needs to get people to prepare and follow protocol.

The President is not instilling confidence, he’s flat out fucking lying at an international press conference by claiming there are “probably” 10 cases in America.  That’s not allaying fears, that’s fucking lying.   

And his staff is also lying

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Not only do we not have the capacity, we also have a money problem. The average cost of an ICU day is estimated at US$10,794.00 for the first day and then plateaus at US$3,968/day by the third day, depending on the need for mechanical ventilation. Can you imagine the number of people complaining about their bill?

yeah it would be fucking wicked if we had a system that didn't require them to send a bill but I guess that ship has sailed, huh

Edited by Armin Tamzarian

3 hours ago, Newdoc said:

The CDC has de facto decided to whip the public into a frenzy because we and our media are really too stupid to process the warnings logically. They should have really rolled this out slowly starting 2 weeks ago. 98% of the public has no idea what “severe disruption” means and we certainly don’t know what generic “prepare” means either.

Yeah, those of us paying attention for the past month have been all “hey guys, this isn’t going away, our hospitals can’t handle it, China is lying, and probably has hundreds of thousands, if not into the million range that’s infected.  This is going to spread, and we aren’t doing much about it, unless absolutely forced to, and we should have been shutting down travel and quarantining a lot of people. “

But the media and the rest of the country were looking at us like

spacer.png

• Like 4

I figured all the moms stopped by HEB before picking up the kiddos from school so I went to Kroger and picked up a few things we were low on. That was a good plan. Friend told me HEB was packed like there was a hurricane coming. Usually Tuesdays aren't busy because the ads come out Wednesday. I don't think people believe Larry Kudlow and the President.

It's going to be a long spring.

33 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Mortality rate is not the problem.  Well, if you’re over 65 it is.  

The problem is the 15-20% who need to be hospitalized, have their fluids checked/dripped, and need to be intubated to keep their airways open.    For 2-3 weeks.   Oh, and the people maintaining their IVs, oxygen, etc, have to be in serious PPE    

That would overwhelm American healthcare.   We are just not setup for a shit-ton of people being hospitalized and quarantined for 2-3 weeks each, with healthcare providers wearing full PPE.  

By the end of next week, China will have thrown together over 25 new hospitals in and around a single city of 9 million.

China wouldn’t give this much of a shit about a few hundred thousand people, unless it is That Bad.   

I've been following this thread and the news developments. Reading this it kind of sunk in. Is it really a 15-20% hospitalization rate? This is going to disrupt our way of life for a year. Until the vaccine is widely available.

I figured all the moms stopped by HEB before picking up the kiddos from school so I went to Kroger and picked up a few things we were low on. That was a good plan. Friend told me HEB was packed like there was a hurricane coming. Usually Tuesdays aren't busy because the ads come out Wednesday. I don't think people believe Larry Kudlow and the President.
It's going to be a long spring.
I'm surprised to hear this. I got attacked in a discord earlier for saying I found it worrying. People by and large still don't seemed phased. Maybe the CDC announcement has turned the light bulbs on for some.

30 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The President is not instilling confidence, he’s flat out fucking lying at an international press conference by claiming there are “probably” 10 cases in America.  That’s not allaying fears, that’s fucking lying.   

And his staff is also lying

Who would have guessed that economics and politics are driving decisions in all countries?

2 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

Again, just catching up. How does this not cause a global depression? We're all kinds of fucked right?

"No, we have Donald Trump to lead us."

wish I was kidding with the quotation marks..

Edited by pacman
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Take your politics back to CR you fucking mongoloids.

All you fucking pussy ass bitches who think your random politics jabs are ok outside of CR should go fuck yourselves.

I would argue that the colossal mismanagement of the Executive branch over the last four years has minimized the efficacy of all government agencies to the point that FEMA, the CDC, and others lack the necessary bureaucratic efficiency necessary to protect the population, because they're constantly undermined by political hacks. It's a big part of the story, whether you like it or not.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 13

36 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

I've been following this thread and the news developments. Reading this it kind of sunk in. Is it really a 15-20% hospitalization rate? This is going to disrupt our way of life for a year. Until the vaccine is widely available.

Lulz at there ever being a vaccine for this.

No one knows what the true hospitalization rate is. Roughly 20% that tested positive for it needed to be hospitalized. But not everyone infected even gets tested or needs to go to the hospital. 

• Like 1

There are still no new cases in the Philippines and fewer than 100 are in hospital isolation. At this point almost all of them have tested negative. Tourists are still coming from Korea and Japan. I still see Koreans in the restaurants where I like to eat.

I had a dry cough for 6 days but now it is turning productive and I may have a mild fever. My forehead felt a little warm this morning but feels fine now, so it may be nothing. My O2 is 96%. I happened to throw a meter in my suitcase and now I am glad I have it since I can know when I might have to go to the hospital for oxygen. I had the flu a month ago and it was much worse than what I have now, so far.

I recommend that everyone get an O2 meter. They are cheap.

I would argue that the colossal mismanagement of the Executive branch over the last four years has minimized the efficacy of all government agencies to the point that FEMA, the CDC, and others lack the necessary bureaucratic efficiency necessary to protect the population, because they're constantly undermined by political hacks. It's a big part of the story, whether you like it or not.

You know the rules cunt. You want to talk political mismanagement, start a thread in CR. Your political opinions are not exempt because you deem them legitimate.

You are not special.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Armin Tamzarian said:

and away we go ....

On 1/22/2020 at 5:51 PM, CleverNickname said:

the wikipedia page is a great resource. Updated multiple times a day. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_outbreak_of_novel_coronavirus_(2019-nCoV)

Deaths have roughly doubled each of the last 4 days. By my calculations by the end of February it will have killed 22 billion people. 

On the plus side, my math estimate was WAY off. 

But you know, let's not panic, I'm sure they have it handled

Stop with this horseshit. This is an exploding international pandemic. What do you think the CDC would have done differently had this happened 4 years which would have made us impervious to a virus that some of the most brutally authoritarian countries have not been able to control? You must believe that all international travel should be stopped because short of that, its coming here whether the president is democratic or republican.

• Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away