CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

3 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Non-people

Sure, because a central element of all libertarians is that someone's humanity is defined by what government status they have.  

Fake-libertarianism is only exceeded in hypocrisy by fake-Christianity.  Paul excels at both.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Awe, he should just keep calling it a hoax? Got it.

I think he's more commenting on how absurd it is that he's getting kudos for what is a bare-minimum response. The lowering of the bar has been precipitous and significant.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Pokoloco said:

Yes, of course.  Gotta keep this an echo chamber. 

Please, defend this administration's preparedness for this threat.  He fucking gutted the professionals we had in place to address the potential threat, and outright ignored sage advice when it became a certainty in January.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I think he's more commenting on how absurd it is that he's getting kudos for what is a bare-minimum response. The lowering of the bar has been precipitous and significant.

This I can agree to. He should have gotten his shit together, and just happy that he's doing something more than nothing. No one other than South Korea has even gotten a real handle on this.

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

He's getting kudos for acting "serious" during a press conference, while a global pandemic spreads like wildfire. It's a fucking joke. 

I bet you gave China a kudos while they suppressed the information on it, and welded thier people in thier houses.

Edited by workswithseed

13 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Awe, he should just keep calling it a hoax? Got it.

He could own up to the fact he downplayed it for 2 months, didn’t start making tests until it was already spreading everywhere and his numerous other fuck ups. Nah, he gives himself a 10 instead. Yes, let’s bow to dear leader for keeping us safe. 

5 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Either someone who does have inside info, or if not should be writing in Hollywood

if you've followed them for any length of time their record has proven pretty true. it's certainly someone who has close connection with trump. hopefully at least 6' away, though

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

He could own up to the fact he downplayed it for 2 months, didn’t start making tests until it was already spreading everywhere and his numerous other fuck ups. Nah, he gives himself a 10 instead. Yes, let’s bow to dear leader for keeping us safe. 

Yep when I say I'm happy that's he's doing something now means I'm just glad he fucked up earlier when this was in China.

27 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

It's my position that Trump is making some really good moves...moves that he should have made a month ago.

I really think he's just hedging. Deep down in his heart he still believes this "will go away in a couple of months when it gets warmer". He's playing along with the "panic" because he knew the economy was going to tank anyway. Why not go all in?    When this does level off eventually he will say his actions mitigated the damage etc..  I'm not saying he's smart, but it would've been incredibly stupid not to play it this way. 

2 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

This I can agree to. He should have gotten his shit together, and just happy that he's doing something more than nothing. No one other than South Korea has even gotten a real handle on this.

I bet you gave China a kudos while they supressed the information on it, and welded thier people in thier houses.

The quote that's going to be carried by him to the grave is from his own mouth.

"I don't take responsibility at all"

He disbanded the very program that was empowered to coordinate in a pandemic. 

He has yet to do anything with the Corps of Engineers to even get morgues ready, much less building temporary hospitals. 

He has done the barest minimum. 

Every time he opens his piehole the stock market has a fit.

He's a problem to be worked around rather than a leader. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Pokoloco said:

I really think he's just hedging. Deep down in his heart he still believes this "will go away in a couple of months when it gets warmer". He's playing along with the "panic" because he knew the economy was going to tank anyway. Why not go all in?    When this does level off eventually he will say his actions mitigated the damage etc..  I'm not saying he's smart, but it would've been incredibly stupid not to play it this way. 

He's already doing that. If 5000 people die, he'll say if it wasn't for him it would have been 50,000.

13 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

Please, defend this administration's preparedness for this threat.  He fucking gutted the professionals we had in place to address the potential threat, and outright ignored sage advice when it became a certainty in January.  

Not defending or condemning. Just think people are working a little too hard to keep political score. Here my dumb ass assumed an existential threat like this would finally bring us all together.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

They're scared and only know how to lash at people. Trump started off bad, but he's changed and doing much better. 

Not scared.  People hate the fuck out of Trump because he's the most contemptible piece of shit to hold high office in the United States in at least the last century, if not ever.

That's bad enough, but he has an entire Senate majority covering for him, even though they know he's a dangerous, impulsive moron.

This is, or should be, an apolitical crisis that isn't heavily influenced by D or R, or reelection, or polls or any of that.  But it is, because Trump.  However, because this is essentially apolitical, Trump's puerile and facile efforts to shift blame or focus aren't working and are seen for what his entire presidency has been:  a fucking reality show.

The only way he's "doing better" is by not being a complete dumbfuck asshole.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Pokoloco said:

Not defending or condemning. Just think people are working a little too hard to keep political score. Here my dumb ass assumed an existential threat like this would finally bring us all together.

Hard to bring people together when the president is constantly pointing fingers on Twitter all day. 

• Like 2

Yeah, it isn't like the President didn't just hold a press conference talking about how awesome he has been and then blaming *checks notes* Obama.  Your ass is dumb apparently. 

Edited by Dahobbs

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not scared.  People hate the fuck out of Trump because he's the most contemptible piece of shit to hold high office in the United States in at least the last century, if not ever.

That's bad enough, but he has an entire Senate majority covering for him, even though they know he's a dangerous, impulsive moron.

This is, or should be, an apolitical crisis that isn't heavily influenced by D or R, or reelection, or polls or any of that.  But it is, because Trump.  However, because this is essentially apolitical, Trump's puerile and facile efforts to shift blame or focus aren't working and are seen for what his entire presidency has been:  a fucking reality show.

The only way he's "doing better" is by not being a complete dumbfuck asshole.

Scared of the virus and the unknown about of how will it affects us. We have guns if Trump gets stupider.

Edited by workswithseed

It is possible to be thrilled Trump is no longer downplaying the threat and seems to be listening to people like Dr Fauci while simultaneously not forgetting that his strategic failures are what led to us being getting caught with our pants down by this pandemic.  Those are not mutually exclusive positions.  I am glad the democrats are focusing on what can be done now, at this moment, to help America hold up against what is coming.  There will be plenty of time to remind voters of Trump's strategic mismanagement after the R/D national conventions later this summer.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Scared of the virus and the unknown about of how will it affects us. We have guns if Trump gets stupider.

I'll grant you people are on edge with the unknown.  I think we'd feel a lot better if we had confidence in the President and the President was doing things to instill confidence.  He is starting to, perhaps by listening to smart civil servants, but it may be a day (six weeks) late and a dollar (or 25% loss of value in the stock market) short.

Finally, there is the populist GOP distrust and dislike of the other, the foreign. Yes, it is annoying that the Chinese didn’t come clean and explain everything to us from the start. But it appears that a Swiss company is helping to jump-start us in testing; and it is a German company that American officials reportedly tried to lure to the United States recently to help develop a vaccine for the virus. We talk about how we need to be independent even as we do all kinds of things that prove we aren’t.

---

Yes, elections have consequences. Those of us in the Republican Party built this moment. Now the nation must live with those consequences.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/18/elections-have-consequences-slow-response-virus-is-one-them/

7 minutes ago, Goredho said:

There will be plenty of time to remind voters of Trump's strategic mismanagement after the R/D national conventions later this summer.

Or there will be feelings of relief and good will if the best possible outcome occurs?  (I really don't want to rehash my "fuckface" question from earlier in the thread.)

30 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

No one other than South Korea has even gotten a real handle on this.

Disagree.  The government/popular response to this has been top notch here, and several other EU countries. 

If the US had responded  like the Czechs, we wouldn't be entering a global recession.  

But hey, black guy and her emails, amirite?

• Like 2

Or there will be feelings of relief and good will if the best possible outcome occurs?  (I really don't want to rehash my "fuckface" question from earlier in the thread.)

Relief, certainly.  Good will?  I dunno.  I mean, I am sure if your predisposition is to want to suck Trump's cock, you will still have goodwill towards said cock.  If you care about the country being led by someone who would have not let it get to the point we are now before taking things seriously, then you might be ready for a change.  We'll see.

Just now, DixonHur said:

Disagree.  The government/popular response to this has been top notch here, and several other EU countries. 

If the US had responded  like the Czechs, we wouldn't be entering a global recession.  

But hey, black guy and her emails, amirite?

So the black guy is also a her and she has emails?

• Fuck You 2

3 weeks ago - trump lists virus hoax as one of a long line of attacks fueled by democrats to bring him down.

2 days ago - trump takes things seriously for the first time in public setting.

today - why do democrats continually feel the need to keep score and point out his shortcomings he's doing his best ok?!?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Pokoloco said:

We already missed the best possible outcome because of our President lying about the seriousness of this threat.

• Like 3

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk