CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

10 minutes ago, AngryDragon said:

So basically everyone in the government is on the UBI train now?  Only the Dems could screw up something that one of their own was championing but could wind up giving Trump a boost in his election chances. 

Pretty much how this works at this point. 

It's not that the guy who fantasized about shooting someone on 5th Avenue doesn't give a shit. It's deliberately worse.

Because he's a fascist.

"COVID-19 not discriminate between a DHS trial attorney, private counsel, the respondents or court employees. We are all in it together,” Tabbador said. “Everyone is at risk.”

“Immigration courtrooms are not large enough and parties sit within arm’s reach of other.

Waiting rooms, elevators and hallways are crowded, particularly in large courts….in today’s climate, holding in-person hearings is exacerbating these dangerous conditions,” said Fanny Behar of the American Federation of Government Employees local representing Immigration and Customs Enforcement trial attorneys.

DOJ officials have previously dismissed criticism from the immigration judges’ union as a backlash to the Trump administration’s efforts to have the union decertified."

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/17/anger-virus-dangers-immigration-courts-134709

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Fuck, this is all depressing.

Here's a break:

This is awesome, but last time I did made a leaf pile for my dog I found 4 ticks on her.  Apparently ticks love leaf piles.  Bad time to deal with a Lymes outbreak.

11 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The dickwagon Okie governor is closing all restaurants just three days after bragging about going out to eat at a restaurant.

I don't think Governor Dickbag has made that call yet, unless I missed it this morning.  The Slighty Lesser Dickbag Mayor of OKC, who had a similar tweet about eating out this past Saturday night, shutdown the bars, restaurants, gyms, etc. here in OKC last night.  It's not statewide yet.  

6 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Has anyone done the math on trump losing 150000 voters in key states?  Say 75% are voting for his fat ass?  WI/MI/FL?  Split 30k/30k/90k?

I have been absolutely amazed that the GOP didn't jump on this to protect their base.  So it appears incompetence is a core value.   If/when this gets into The Villages it's going to be a disaster for us in general and for the GOP in particular. 

125k+ people: 98% white, 56% over 65

Florida is going to be proper fucked.

6 minutes ago, Loco said:

I have been absolutely amazed that the GOP didn't jump on this to protect their base.  So it appears incompetence is a core value.   If/when this gets into The Villages it's going to be a disaster for us in general and for the GOP in particular. 

It is spreading in care centers in other states; saw that Louisiana and Illinois have nursing homes with increasing number of cases. Florida has enacted some measures but since we know it was already at Mar-a-Lago, it is too late.

2 hours ago, RPM said:

I would fucking hate to be working in a grocery store right now. 

BIL is an HEB manager (when they're open).  Shit is crazy - can't make orders fast enough and they have no idea what they're actually going to get on the trucks.  Its all available - but they don't have enough trucks and time to restock the store overnight.

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I'm guessing what we're going to see is a major shift toward online ordering and curbside/home delivery. Fantastic opportunities to create new, good-paying jobs.

So are you saying we should welcome our new drone and autonomous car overlords?

I got to wondering--the USPS has to exist, (US Constitution--Article 1, Section 8  ) correct? The shipping industry tipped the scales in their favor by grabbing the profitable routes and leaving the postal service with everything else plus having to fund their employee pensions farther in advance than anyone else. I thought it was a bad idea when the politicos allowed this to happen (proven by the shippers now contracting with the postal service to deliver the final mile) but I wish the postal service could turn into a community delivery service as a public works program. I'm not smart enough or knowledgeable to even know if that is doable.

5 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

So are you saying we should welcome our new drone and autonomous car overlords?

Hell no. I'd prefer humans remain central in economic/social life.

Robot helpers for ease and safety are good, but I think we're seeing some problems with having power concentrated in so few human hands.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Hell no. I'd prefer humans remain central in economic/social life.

Robot helpers for ease and safety are good, but I think we're seeing some problems with having power concentrated in so few human hands.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic, but I forget tone in text is hard to read. I know our mail carriers by name and leave them baked goods all the time. (Don't go there with the postman always rings twice). I have seen the power concentration issue on a local political level. It never ends well for the populace when a very small group controls all facets of a community.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Punctuation
  • Like 2

Couldn't grocery stores  require appointments or scheduled times, along with enforcing maximums on certain goods? Seems like that could control the herd / panic mentality as well as ensure social distancing etc. Stores could additionally require that people place orders ahead of time so that orders are bundled and ready to be picked up upon arrival (again with maximums in place).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loco said:

Sooo what exactly is the problem here, we get rid of the old racists Florida Fucks, save of SS, cheaper houses that they occupied and reduce the republican voting block 

Just now, Gengs1 said:

Sooo what exactly is the problem here, we get rid of the old racists Florida Fucks, save of SS, cheaper houses that they occupied and reduce the republican voting block 

Those folks are people's Mothers, Fathers, Grandparents.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

Couldn't grocery stores  require appointments or scheduled times, along with enforcing maximums on certain goods? Seems like that could control the herd / panic mentality as well as ensure social distancing etc. Stores could additionally require that people place orders ahead of time so that orders are bundled and ready to be picked up upon arrival (again with maximums in place).

I'm sure they could, but I don't think there is enough capacity to serve the public's needs if they do that.

Think back a few months:  most grocery stores ebbed and flowed between "packed" and "partially full".  I do our shopping, and hit at least one grocery store at least once per day, and in general I would say that there were ALWAYS at least 100 customers in every store, with maybe 3X that amount on game days, holidays, etc.

That's the demand.  How could stores possibly level things out by limiting to, say, 50 customers at a time?  There aren't enough hours in the day.

I'll admit, this isn't qualitative -- I'm just winging it, but to me, it just doesn't work.  Perhaps delivery could take up the slack.

14 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

American airlines have never been nationalized, but they were heavily regulated.  And today, you can get to more places for less money than you could under regulation.

Regulation created bloated corporations that provided poor service for an inflated price.  Shielding airlines from competition did not help the consumer; it hurt the consumer and aided only car manufacturers.

Nationalization would be no different.  There's a reason that virtually no developed country has a nationalized airline industry anymore.  It leads to poor service, high fares, and enormous losses for the carrier.

I have appreciated both sides of this argument in this thread. Somebody probably anticipates this response, but I have to get to work soon.

It's odd to celebrate the market forces making things cheaper and better while simultaneously having a market industry use the federal government as insurance for any market event or failure of management foresight.

If they spent money to buy stock and, presumably, become less public thus less answerable to any of the public then that raises a few questions about a public bailout.

Maybe they should sell shares to raise money. Oh noes, the market is low. Yep, you goofed. You'll have to go more public than you wanted to. Fuck you, that's the market.

If the government comes up with the bailout money, then the government gets stock at a price between the price before the virus and the price today. The government then sells the stock when the price reaches what they paid for it.

i don't like, and suspect you don't either, a company being free market when there's money to be made and authoritarian market when they get stung.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

BIL is an HEB manager (when they're open).  Shit is crazy - can't make orders fast enough and they have no idea what they're actually going to get on the trucks.  Its all available - but they don't have enough trucks and time to restock the store overnight.

All the major chains are like that.  Most product is in the pipeline (for now) but they can't physically can't move it fast enough from the inbound trucks through the DC's to the stores and out to the floor.  All the major chains are running +100% staffing right now.  Kroger is hiring people on the spot at $15/hr to be stockers.

I've been in the industry for 15 years and this is unlike anything any of us have ever seen and I hope I never see it again.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

They don't know that they are sacred cows.  Eastern Airlines was huge...they're gone without a trace. 

Not so much that they disappeared but they sold off their assets and flight paths to Delta, Continental and American.  It seems the brand just started up again this year.  (/Wiki)

Something about thermodynamic laws that matter disappearing

21 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm sure they could, but I don't think there is enough capacity to serve the public's needs if they do that.

Think back a few months:  most grocery stores ebbed and flowed between "packed" and "partially full".  I do our shopping, and hit at least one grocery store at least once per day, and in general I would say that there were ALWAYS at least 100 customers in every store, with maybe 3X that amount on game days, holidays, etc.

That's the demand.  How could stores possibly level things out by limiting to, say, 50 customers at a time?  There aren't enough hours in the day.

I'll admit, this isn't qualitative -- I'm just winging it, but to me, it just doesn't work.  Perhaps delivery could take up the slack.

28 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

Some chains are already putting limits in place.  I know HEB is and Kroger is starting to in some cases.  They're all restricting hours at this point.  Also, the chains that are big into curbside pickup are focusing on that for obvious reasons.  WMT is prolly the biggest player in that.  Trouble is getting appointments, depending on where you're at and the chain.

Jimmy Jazz, you mentioned something about stores a few months ago.  Keep in mind that "way back then," demand was completely different.  Families were cooking maybe one meal per day.  Breakfast was grab and go, lunch was at work/school, and dinner was 50/50 based on whatever the kids were doing.  Now, the entire family is eating three meals per day at home.  That's a huge demand shift.

The entire retail industry from literal farm to table was set up to support the "old" demand levels.  It's simply not set up to support this one a long term basis.  Although, some of the food going to food service/restaurants could be shifted but those are different products with different uses.

3 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Jimmy Jazz, you mentioned something about stores a few months ago.  Keep in mind that "way back then," demand was completely different.  Families were cooking maybe one meal per day.  Breakfast was grab and go, lunch was at work/school, and dinner was 50/50 based on whatever the kids were doing.  Now, the entire family is eating three meals per day at home.  That's a huge demand shift.

Sure, I was using the baseline of old demand to make the argument that limited store access probably won't work.  Increased demand just makes it worse.

36 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

If the government comes up with the bailout money, then the government gets stock at a price between the price before the virus and the price today. The government then sells the stock when the price reaches what they paid for it.

That is similar to what was done after 9/11 for airlines that got loans through the Air Transport Stabilization Board.

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk