CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

4 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

With some 9/11 thrown in because, after Katrina, we weren't all scared that our community would be the next to get flooded. 

respectfully, that fear was very real and palpable for those of us in and from SE Texas when Rita was bearing down and made landfall a few short weeks post-Katrina...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

What happens during a pandemic to a people already isolated, fearful, and unable to process factual information because they've been indoctrinated to distrust their own eyes, ears, and common sense? 

On the upside, maybe the right will stop crowing about American Exceptionalism for a while. At least until exceptional stupidity isn't the first thing that comes to mind. You wanted a federal government so small you could drown it in a bathtub? Instead you got administration so inept that it's drowning itself, and Americans along with it.

Godamnit I am pissed at Trump enablers. This blood is on your fucking hands. Hiding in the Daily Texan thread won't change that. Refusing to discuss the critical nexus of failed politics and this virus is the ultimate in selfish cowardly comfort.

Very fine post. Excellent.

As you know, they'll never stop crowing about American exceptionalism. That and wild, blind patriotism they use as a shield are the only things holding off the truth. The shield is a mirror used to blind as many people around them as possible no matter the consequences.

1st death in Texas: The Texas Department of State Health Services has confirmed the first death of a Texas resident who tested positive for COVID-19, the illness caused by the new coronavirus. The patient was a man in his 90s who was a resident of Matagorda County and had been hospitalized.

https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/news/releases/2020/20200317.aspx

20 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

respectfully, that fear was very real and palpable for those of us in and from SE Texas when Rita was bearing down and made landfall a few short weeks post-Katrina...

By "we" I meant all Americans and "flood" was a metaphor.

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

Daily Kos reporting it was Kush who kept telling trump the media was exaggerating the coronavirus threat to the US

I'm sure it's because he knew that's what the Donald wanted to hear. That's how your stay in the room. Now he just has to hang a few underlings on the altar of dodged accountability then deposit another Saudi check.

10 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I'm sure it's because he knew that's what the Donald wanted to hear. That's how your stay in the room. Now he just has to hang a few underlings on the altar of dodged accountability then deposit another Saudi check.

I think it's also because he's an idiot with no relevant education or experience that might qualify him to advise the president on the problem. He's in real estate. What the fuck does he know about epidemiology?

• Like 1

Had a call with a client who owns a minor emergency clinic here in Midland. She is pissed at the county health people. Says she has three people who she suspects of having the virus, one she’s almost positive about, but they won’t let her test them. They tested negative for flu and then negative on other viruses but she can’t get permission to test for Covid. She says they have the capability - there are three labs in town that could run the test. She thinks they are trying to manipulate numbers to keep confirmed cases out of the news for some reason. I don’t know her politics but I suspect she and her husband are probably Trumpers like everyone else in this town so I found that interesting. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I think it's also because he's an idiot with no relevant education or experience that might qualify him to advise the president on the problem. He's in real estate. What the fuck does he know about epidemiology?

Libtard! Don't you know that his base doesn't want to hear about any of this science or book learning stuff! That's for the uppity people.  

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

9/10 who tested positive had no symptoms. Don't neglect that detail. 

i have been thinking for a week that we will all get this in the coming 2 years. 50% of us in year 1. the math that we know, combined with the math we can guess at, is just that I feel. sure its a fucking guess but I am pretty sure many of us have this fucking thing right now. the no symptom thing is really frightening. ce'st la vie 

6 minutes ago, staboner said:

i have been thinking for a week that we will all get this in the coming 2 years. 50% of us in year 1. the math that we know, combined with the math we can guess at, is just that I feel. sure its a fucking guess but I am pretty sure many of us have this fucking thing right now. the no symptom thing is really frightening. ce'st la vie 

We'll probably have a vaccine next year. 

16 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

Had a call with a client who owns a minor emergency clinic here in Midland. She is pissed at the county health people. Says she has three people who she suspects of having the virus, one she’s almost positive about, but they won’t let her test them. They tested negative for flu and then negative on other viruses but she can’t get permission to test for Covid. She says they have the capability - there are three labs in town that could run the test. She thinks they are trying to manipulate numbers to keep confirmed cases out of the news for some reason. I don’t know her politics but I suspect she and her husband are probably Trumpers like everyone else in this town so I found that interesting. 

Exactly what happened in our family. My wife has had symptoms for more than a week (we have been self-quarantined, BTW) and went to the ER. We just kept thinking it was flu. Nope -- negative for flu, strep, etc. But they also refused to test for covid -- and they expressed similar frustrations. You can tell in talking to medical people that the governmental medical response has been and continues to be a disaster on an epic scale. You can't get tested unless you can confirm exposure to a known positive person -- hard to pass that bar if no one is getting tested. And that certainly cuts down the numbers of reported confirmed cases. Just because you can't get tested doesn't mean you don't have it. What a circle jerk of a response.

When people ask how they can help us, I just tell them to vote Democrat in November.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Todd Gack said:

and apparently 9/10 of all people tested had no symptoms.  this fuckin virus...

Reading through the thread, it isn't clear that the 10% that tested positive never developed symptoms as opposed to simply not having symptoms at the time of the test. Other data in the thread says 50-75% had no symptoms (again unclear at what time). 

1 hour ago, MidTexHorn said:

I don't understand why they can't test.  Meaning they don't have access to the test?

I do not understand the red tape that is blocking testing. Anybody?

is it out of pocket cost for test? govt owned labs vs private owned? lack of technical capability to test? lack of legal approval to test? I don't get it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cam4mav said:

is it out of pocket cost for test? govt owned labs vs private owned? lack of technical capability to test? lack of legal approval to test? I don't get it.

I'm pretty sure it's lack of tests. 

30 minutes ago, staboner said:

it's the new hpv!

10 minutes ago, cam4mav said:

Government delaying their response by months leads to a shortage of tests 

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk