CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

42 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I had to go look at this because my spouse grew up in Hastings (Adams County) and he still has family in the area but I believe the stats you mentioned (457 cases) are for Hall County which is Grand Island and vicinity. Actually wouldn't surprise me as GI is on the interstate plus has the VA facility which is where my late father-in-law used to go. He was in a care facility in GI for a number of years before he passed. My husband's late aunt used to drive from way up near the SD state line to Grand Island, and later Omaha for medical treatment. So all the major avenues for travel will allow the virus to reach the little towns scattered across the plains.

Yes, my bad.  I mean Hall County.  Adams is growing as well, but below 100. 

5 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Completely anecdotal, but since the anti-lockdown push I feel some rural areas are relaxing precautions. I've seen a couple of convenience stores/truckstops that previously had their deli seating areas taped off occupied with customers, people hanging out. Saw a group of 5 or 6 kids roaming thru the streets and just generally hanging out yesterday.

And speaking of rural areas, there's another meat processing plant that going to possibly shut down. 

Officials urge Tyson Foods to shut down plant after employees test positive for COVID-19 https://a.msn.com/r/2/BB12OfU7?m=en-us&referrerID=InAppShare

There's a restaurant in my area that still requires you to take your order to go but you can sit at the bar and have a couple of drinks while you wait.  Let's just say there were more than one or two hanging at the bar when I went in to pick up my order. 

12 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

It's the packing plants blowing up in those two counties, same with Dawson 

Yeah, at this point it's well beyond the meat packing plants.  In Dawson County, it's going through a Vets Home.

And really, what's your point?  Does it being a meat packing plant change it?  

This is a Facebook post from the Cozad (town of 4000 in Dawson) mayor: 

n the last few days Dawson County's positive COVID-19 cases have doubled. We are within a few people of passing Buffalo County which is double our size. I can see that some people in Cozad have become relaxed or bored with social distancing. I have witnessed groups of high school kids gathering within homes, adults having social functions, and people out in situations that are not recommended. I am asking for our residents to put an end to this for the next few weeks. We as a community need to do what is recommended and try to flatten the curve. You can be a carrier of COVID-19 and show no symptoms.

Please:

1. Limit your trips out into public areas, like our stores.

2. When you do go out, shop alone. There is no reason to be shopping with three of your friends or family members.

3. Wear a cloth mask when out in public, I'm using bandanas.

4. Parents, stop letting your children gather in groups. Lead by example and stay home as well.

The numbers show that COVID-19 is here in Cozad. None of this is fun, but if we don’t keep up these best practices we will soon have more cases than Buffalo County and possibly even Hall County.

Be smart, stay home, and stop gathering behind closed doors.

That sure as shit doesn't sound like it is directed towards a meat packing plant. 

Edit: Correction: the Vets Home is in Buffalo County 

Edited by Tuco

2 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Yeah, at this point it's well beyond the meat packing plants.  In Dawson County, it's going through a Vets Home.

And really, what's your point?  Does it being a meat packing plant change it?  

This is a Facebook post from the Cozad (town of 4000 in Dawson) mayor: 

That sure as shit doesn't sound like it is directed towards a meat packing plant. 

Well my point is that it's going to rip through those super fast which we creates a big population of spreads super fast, and you tie that to locals not taking it seriously it'll blow up. The Plants are churches on steroids when it comes to spreading, and you have a ton of multi-generational homes among the plant workers. If you don't have the plants, you wouldn't have near the problems, you'd look more like Gage County where it got into the nursing home in Adams, but not near the community spread. 

2 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

Well my point is that it's going to rip through those super fast which we creates a big population of spreads super fast, and you tie that to locals not taking it seriously it'll blow up. The Plants are churches on steroids when it comes to spreading, and you have a ton of multi-generational homes among the plant workers. If you don't have the plants, you wouldn't have near the problems, you'd look more like Gage County where it got into the nursing home in Adams, but not near the community spread. 

Relatives moved back to Genoa after living in Garden City, Kansas for many years. I bet Garden City is lit up with cases too.

13 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Completely anecdotal, but since the anti-lockdown push I feel some rural areas are relaxing precautions. I've seen a couple of convenience stores/truckstops that previously had their deli seating areas taped off occupied with customers, people hanging out. Saw a group of 5 or 6 kids roaming thru the streets and just generally hanging out yesterday.

My wifes hairdresser just sent out a note saying they had openings for Tuesday.

If the weekend's trend holds, we are turning the corner in Travis country.  But dumb shits are going to fuck this up.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

That’s what makes everyone rushing to reopen the economy now so amazing.  Basically every large city other than NYC, New Orleans and Detroit has been spared a really out of control outbreak thanks to stay at home orders, and even with that by the start of May we’re still about to run up on the numbers that were supposed to be deaths through August.  

I understand enough people have just decided they’ve hit their limit on sheltering in place so it’s going to be what it’s going to be in much of the country.  But holy fucking shit - how do you not realize how awful this will get if we have 30 major metro areas inundated with ICU patients and deaths instead of 3?

the thing is, because they were spared, they think it is/was a big nothing burger. 

i think someone else made the comparison on here, but it's like a person who is bi-polar deciding to stop their meds because the feel fine.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, yoladu said:

the thing is, because they were spared, they think it is/was a big nothing burger. 

i think someone else made the comparison on here, but it's like a person who is bi-polar deciding to stop their meds because the feel fine.

Yup, it's a chicken-and-egg conundrum. 

6 hours ago, SameSame said:

I say again to all.

How can any of you watch that unhinged fool that stood up there today and showed no compassion and a constant shallow nature and say that is a leader?

How?

i go to Texags.com when i am looking for a "reality check". They thought Sunday's press conference was awesome -  A tour de force and glorious media beat down. "He is a machine, he does this every day!" "even God rested on Sundays"

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

We are going to end up getting the worst of both options.  The economic troubles because of the shutdown plus the coronavirus running wild because we ended the shutdown too soon.

I bit someone's head off this weekend because they called it a "war." That framing has been intentional, and it needs to be corrected. Notice how instead of aligning folks in a spirit of global cooperation, the psychological framework of war is dividing us further and also preparing us for violence. I am not volunteering for the RNC/Trump's propaganda of 'war,' nor their idea of a 'revolution for liberty.' This is a virus. I am sick, but not from COVID-19, but from the manipulation and propaganda that is invasive in this administration.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

Fair enough, but I think it will just take longer to get to the communities without packing plants.  Once you get to a certain critical mass, it's going to spread the same. 

9 minutes ago, kevwun said:

We are going to end up getting the worst of both options.  The economic troubles because of the shutdown plus the coronavirus running wild because we ended the shutdown too soon.

Well, I don't know.  I think everyone in the urban areas is broadly maintaining the shutdown.  And that's where there's the greatest need to attenuate the spread.

If it sweeps through rural and exurban areas, then that's somewhat ok because it won't strain the healthcare system too much simply as a function of having fewer people in those counties.

19 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Relatives moved back to Genoa after living in Garden City, Kansas for many years. I bet Garden City is lit up with cases too.

There not as bad. If it gets into a plant it's bad news, but some plants haven't been hit at all so far like Smithfield in Crete, and Cargill in Schuyler 

9 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Very sad.... But just for the record, for every pro-lifer out there advocating this open it all up crap there is a crystal lover who agrees. My ex (who is about to graduate from nursing school) thinks this is all a hoax and if we all would OD on Tumeric and clutch our rose quartz we would be fine. Yep, she is about to enter Austin's first line. There are dumbasses on both sides. Hell she got pissed at me for getting my daughter her HPV shots. 

Fuck Team MAGA, Fuck Alex Jones, and also Fuck the spiritualists who believe they know better than the scientists. 10% on both sides just suck. Fuck them. Just for shits and giggles. 

Fresh! Of course! I've wasted so much time on the aged camel piss. 

source.gif

30 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The old swimming more than halfway across a river and then turning around because it was too far to get to the other side.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

Yup, it's a chicken-and-egg conundrum. 

No, the parachute analogy is perfect.  That parachute sure worked well slowing down my velocity, I'll cut it with 200 feet left over this crowd of people doing their job, and I'll cut 3 other peoples, too, and they'll cut a few others, and then we'll all fall on a crowd of people smart enough not to jump out of a plane in the first place.  Ok.  Not perfect. 

8 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

That’s what makes everyone rushing to reopen the economy now so amazing.  Basically every large city other than NYC, New Orleans and Detroit has been spared a really out of control outbreak thanks to stay at home orders, and even with that by the start of May we’re still about to run up on the numbers that were supposed to be deaths through August.  

I understand enough people have just decided they’ve hit their limit on sheltering in place so it’s going to be what it’s going to be in much of the country.  But holy fucking shit - how do you not realize how awful this will get if we have 30 major metro areas inundated with ICU patients and deaths instead of 3?

Can there be a more apt battlecry for America right now than:

It works! Let's abandon it! 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Well, I don't know.  I think everyone in the urban areas is broadly maintaining the shutdown.  And that's where there's the greatest need to attenuate the spread.

If it sweeps through rural and exurban areas, then that's somewhat ok because it won't strain the healthcare system too much simply as a function of having fewer people in those counties.

i get all this, but in the spirit of constructive argument, I assume we are going to suspend shelter in place orders before a vaccine is available. We can't keep this up for 18 months, can we? Some of us could, but most cannot.

Being a bit self-reflective, I feel like the class of Americans that can work from home and still receiving steady paychecks are the ones least resistive to suspending shelter in place orders.... ie: "it's easy for me to have this position, i am not hurting"

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Can there be a more apt battlecry for America right now than:

It works! Let's abandon it! 

It's the ultimate problem with humans in general, especially Americans these days.  Most of us have zero ability to think critically or long term.

2 hours ago, Tuco said:

Small cities/towns are going to get ripped up too.  Currently, in Nebraska:

Adams County: 457 cases for a county of 61,000 people: (=7492 cases per Million)  And, the positive rate is almost 50% - 457 positives of 988 tests. 

Dawson County: 124 cases for a county of 23,600 people (=5254 cases per million). (124 positives of 310 tests)

By comparison, the national average is 2311 cases per million.  NY is 12,601 cases/mil, NJ 9,604 cases/mil.  

This shit is getting out to the smaller communities.  

We drove towards Fredericksburg Sunday to get out of the apartment. Picked up some lovely sandwiches etc at Hye Market in Hye. Strongly recommended.

Noticed that about half the people take measures like masks. an additional 25% seem to maintain social distancing. About 25% clearly don't give a shit. I feel for the 75% who are trying.

We need to encourage a culture of shaming those who aren't trying. I think we can all guess where they stand politically. They're the cancer in the covid.

31 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I bit someone's head off this weekend because they called it a "war." That framing has been intentional, and it needs to be corrected. Notice how instead of aligning folks in a spirit of global cooperation, the psychological framework of war is dividing us further and also preparing us for violence. I am not volunteering for the RNC/Trump's propaganda of 'war,' nor their idea of a 'revolution for liberty.' This is a virus. I am sick, but not from COVID-19, but from the manipulation and propaganda that is invasive in this administration.

It's labeled war by Trumpians because wartime Presidents get reelected.

Fortunately, I haven't heard it repeated much. However, the Trump voters I know haven't changed their mind one bit. They are however taking social distancing seriously, luckily.

I had to go look at this because my spouse grew up in Hastings (Adams County) and he still has family in the area but I believe the stats you mentioned (457 cases) are for Hall County which is Grand Island and vicinity. Actually wouldn't surprise me as GI is on the interstate plus has the VA facility which is where my late father-in-law used to go. He was in a care facility in GI for a number of years before he passed. My husband's late aunt used to drive from way up near the SD state line to Grand Island, and later Omaha for medical treatment. So all the major avenues for travel will allow the virus to reach the little towns scattered across the plains.

Small world. I have relatives that live in Hastings.

9 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

He shut down China! In January. Nobody wanted him to do it, but he did. He's been praised by a very well respected guy in the Wall Street Journal. Cuomo sings his praises.

He knew it was going to be a pandemic even when he was saying it wouldn't be a pandemic! You know how hard that is? Even when he said nobody could see it coming, he saw it coming!!!!!!

Greatest president ever.

I really wish reporters would hammer him everyday on this.   Both NY Times & Fox News reported that an estimated 43,000 people flew in from China after Trump's "ban".

He stands on this one point everyday, and it's a complete fabrication.  It's a complete bullshit point.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

He shut down China! In January. Nobody wanted him to do it, but he did. He's been praised by a very well respected guy in the Wall Street Journal. Cuomo sings his praises.

He knew it was going to be a pandemic even when he was saying it wouldn't be a pandemic! You know how hard that is? Even when he said nobody could see it coming, he saw it coming!!!!!!

Greatest president ever.

Don't forget 20 people in the room said don't do it, but he was resolute, he did it. All hail glorious leader and his always divine decision making.

40 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Culture war. Class warfare. War on Christmas. Pickup trucks plastered with guns and skulls decals... The right will perform mental contortions to spin a narrative they're some oppressed minority as a prelude to their John Wayne wanna-be fantasies.

4 minutes ago, DigDug said:

I really wish reporters would hammer him everyday on this.   Both NY Times & Fox News reported that an estimated 43,000 people flew in from China after Trump's "ban".

He stands on this one point everyday, and it's a complete fabrication.  It's a complete bullshit point.  

And also when he kept arrogantly asking "Do you know how many cases were here in the US when I shutdown China?"

I wish she would have answered, Thousands!!

43 minutes ago, DigDug said:

If the NYT's numbers are accurate, approximately 400k traveled on direct flights in from China in the one month prior to the travel restrictions, compared to <20k per month after. That is a 95% reduction in travel. Trump does his narcissistic thing when he used hyperbolic terms to puff himself up, so I get the push back, but the travel restrictions were absolutely the right call.  The real problem imo is that we didn't similarly restrict all international entries.

Edited by Anastasis

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

I was under the impression that many such areas actually have fewer ICU beds per capita than bigger cities.  Is that not true?

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

If the NYT's numbers are accurate, approximately 400k traveled on direct flights in from China in the one month prior to the travel restrictions, compared to <20k per month after. That is a 95% reduction in travel. Trump does his narcissistic thing when he used hyperbolic terms to puff himself up, so I get the push back, but the travel restrictions were absolutely the right call.  The real problem imo is that we didn't similarly restrict all international entries.

So you're ok with the President constantly lying his ass off and saying no one got in because of the reduction in numbers.

And no one is saying travel restrictions were not something that was necessary.

What were saying is stop saying that completely cut off people from entering.  STOP FUCKING LYING!

• Like 6

What Trump failed to understand -- and I have to admit, there was no way of knowing this -- the virus in (at least) NYC came from Europe.

This is why failing to limit travel beyond China was a big mistake.  Doing so would have caused a giant shitstorm, but it would have been the smart move, regardless.

• Like 2