CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

CISD has more than 500 cases the first week of school. They used to send out an email about 2 or 3 positive cases, now all they say is more than 5. They also say that the classroom has been cleaned, but there’s zero tracing going on. Hell, my kids elementary school had 10 cases the first day. It’s an absolute clusterfuck. 

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

This is where the message should be sharpened to help getting more people vaccinated...take it off COVID some and show that it is impacting them (besides the fact that more ICU use means higher medical costs which means higher premiums and taxes down the road....)

The reality is only about 1/3 of those beds are occupied by COVID cases, but that 1/3 is the normal "buffer" beds that are available to treat people for heart attacks, strokes, car accidents etc. I know you may not be concerned with getting COVID but how about you help keep your options open in case you have any other illness that might require you or your loved ones to visit a hospital and need one.

I'd be fine with hospitals having vaxxed/non-vaxxed ICUs right now.. I know which one I would put in the parking lot and the one that would likely fill up quickly leaving no space....I think we'd be ok with that.

All five of those states rejected medicaid expansion.

Also, the SEC: it just means more here:

SEC chart.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, bolverk said:

Yo, Father, if you're looking for healing from Divine Providence, go get care in a fucking church instead of taking up needed space in a hospital.

And while you're at it, and feeling so full of christian spirit and all, why don't you do something with all the pedo ass-raping priests?

Just a thought. And for a final editorial comment: rot in hell, motherfucker.

6 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Boosters in 5 weeks.. why not next week?

FDA has to act on the review of the Pfizer submission,  Moderna needs to likewise submit their data, and CDC has to do their thing. The regulatory bureaucracy don't move quick.

Re: supply stockpiles, from NYT article: https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/08/18/world/covid-delta-variant-vaccine

The government has more than 100 million doses stockpiled that could be used for boosters, along with tens of millions more doses that have already been delivered to pharmacies and other locations. Even more supply is scheduled for delivery this fall.

Told my 80yo FIL last night just to go sign up at CVS and get his booster.  We are sitting around waiting for the inevitable authorization to happen.  Just like we did last November, just like we are doing with pediatric authorization, and boosting authorization.  The fucking administration is telling you when it will happen via leaks to the press and we sit on our hands and wait for the regulators to do their thing.  

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Told my 80yo FIL last night just to go sign up at CVS and get his booster.  We are sitting around waiting for the inevitable authorization to happen.  Just like we did last November, just like we are doing with pediatric authorization, and boosting authorization.  The fucking administration is telling you when it will happen via leaks to the press and we sit on our hands and wait for the regulators to do their thing.  

Just go get it.  My friend and his wife walked into walgreens last week and got a 3rd shot after telling them they didn't have insurance.  They are scheduled for a 4th shot too lol. 

5 minutes ago, speed817 said:

Just go get it.  My friend and his wife walked into walgreens last week and got a 3rd shot after telling them they didn't have insurance.  They are scheduled for a 4th shot too lol. 

I think this is a bad precedent/idea. Pretty soon some sort of vaccine passport will be required to basically do anything in society and skirting the official channels is gonna make the red tape much thicker. Wearing masks, social distancing, and the awaiting release of official boosters that are traceable and tied to your overall vax record is a much, much, better way to go about things. But we're inherently selfish assholes so yeah, do your thing. Make chaos out an already chaotic system. I'm sure that'll make things run more smoothly and make everyone safer in the long run. 🙄

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I think this is a bad precedent/idea. Pretty soon some sort of vaccine passport will be required to basically do anything in society and skirting the official channels is gonna make the red tape much thicker. Wearing masks, social distancing, and the awaiting release of official boosters that are traceable and tied to your overall vax record is a much, much, better way to go about things. But we're inherently selfish assholes so yeah, do your thing. Make chaos out an already chaotic system. I'm sure that'll make things run more smoothly and make everyone safer in the long run. 🙄

I tend to agree with this perspective.  I told my FIL to be clear that he is getting the 3rd shot booster that is currently authorized when he signs up.  He has enough in terms of recent medical history and procedures, including medications he is on, that he can fit under a reasonably broad immunocompromised category.  Maybe a little stretching involved, but not too much that I would be uncomfortable with.  Also told him to run it up the flag pole with his cardiologist for their reaction.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Maybe a little stretching involved, but not too much that I would be uncomfortable with

I’m way past giving a shit about stretching the truth or even lying. We have around 80 million people who won’t get vaccinated. So if anyone wants a third shot to protect themselves, go get it. If you want to pretend your 7 year old is 12, do it. I judge no one for doing it, because waiting around for the inevitable FDA approval is counterproductive. 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I’m way past giving a shit about stretching the truth or even lying. We have around 80 million people who won’t get unvaccinated. So if anyone wants a third shot to protect themselves, go get it. If you want to pretend your 7 year old is 12, do it. I judge no one for doing it, because waiting around for the inevitable FDA approval is counterproductive. 

This.  If there was a shortage of shots there would be some ethical considerations about skipping the line.  We’re throwing shots away.  Do whatever you think is best for you.

Today's announcement is that the CDC is agreeing that a booster shot is safe and will further protect you against COVID. I don't see a reason to wait IF you are past the 6 month mark.

Personally I think wait until September is a practical and political move because the CDC is still hoping that the unvaccinated will show up during this wave. If you put a line in front of them of olds and healthcare workers seeking Shot # 3, some of the unvaccinated will go home. It sucks that we have to cater to them, but we all need as many of them as possible to get vaccinated. 

Covid numbers locally are through the roof.   Was going to take son to his first rock concert tonight.  Its outdoors, we're both vaxxed and could wear masks.  Still, a bunch of stories have come out calling other outdoor concerts in the State super spreader events. And my 10 year old is of course not vaccinated, which is my primary concern.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

2 minutes ago, Ten Bears said:

I would get my booster yesterday but I don't know which one I should get with my Pfizer vaccine.

I am probably violating Hipaa by telling you about my own health care, but my doc said to get the same brand for the booster as the first two shots.

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, justhookit said:

@SEC

still trying to figure out your problem here. Vaccinated people are much better off . Wealthy people have access to better healthcare. I offered to help.  Care to articulate other than just negging me?  Sorry those things bother you..

Naw I'll just neg the fuck out of your dumb ass

12 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Just got off phone with mom a bit ago.  She was crying and upset over one of her best friends, who is (and the entire family) a hard core Trumper, who just never thought Covid was something that would affect her, who my mom pleaded with to get a vaxx... has been in intensive care for the past 2 weeks and probably won't make it.  

Dad found out by calling her husband, because they had not heard from either of them since late July.  Turns out he has it, and has for the past 3 weeks or so, but because he isn't bad enough, he is at home.  The husband is depressed because he can't go see his wife, and he is at home by himself.  

So, you get the picture here.  Family, not vaxxed, and the parents who are in their mid-70's are handling this the worst, and one might not make it.

Oh, of the family....3 kids....none of them are vaxxed.  Neither are the in-laws or grandchildren.

To top it off....the daughter is an ICU nurse at, yep, you guessed it...the very hospital where her mother is in ICU.  So is a granddaughter.  So there's at least two ICU nurses at that hospital that I know of that aren't vaxxed...and yet, their very own mother/grandmother is laying in there, due to Covid,  probably in an induced coma, and probably won't leave alive.

But let's not get that fucking shot.  

Crazy that ICU nurses opt to not be vaccinated. They're seeing people die of this.

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Crazy that ICU nurses opt to not be vaccinated. They're seeing people die of this.

No shit.  And crazy that 2 in this particular ICU are seeing a family member possibly die in front of their eyes, and I doubt even that is enough to make them even get a shot.

• Like 1

“A shot would have saved him,” Family grieves after father who called vaccine a government conspiracy dies of COVID-19

OKLAHOMA CITY (KFOR) – Many Americans are still choosing to not get the COVID-19 Vaccine. It’s a decision that one former Oklahoman says recently cost her ex-husband and father of her three kids his life.

Born in Tipton, Michael Stevenson lived in Oklahoma City for decades with wife, Melinda Young, before his job took him to Florida a few years ago.

That’s where he died of COVID on August 3 – never getting the vaccine because he thought it was a government conspiracy.

“A shot would have saved him, a shot would have saved him,” Young lamented.

50-year-old Stevenson called the COVID vaccine a government conspiracy.

“A lot of people think the shot is how they were going to track people, the government tracks people or they’re trying to take too much control,” Young said.

She said Stevenson believed medical professionals were under government authority. He also believed the number of COVID deaths was inflated by the government and that many of those deaths claimed to be from the virus were by other causes.

Even after his own father died of COVID in April, he still didn’t get vaccinated.

Two months later, Stevenson was admitted into the hospital, now a victim of the virus himself.

“Within 48 hours of being admitted, he wished he would have got the shot because he was already that miserable,” Young shared. “His body was hurting. He couldn’t breathe. He wished he would have gotten it.”

His family was in anguish as he fought for his life on a ventilator.

“It was such ups and downs and so many hopeful moments that I can’t even explain — ” said Young, breaking off in tears. “I thought he was going to make it. We thought he was going to make it.”

A week-and-a-half after being admitted, doctors asked to pull Stevenson off the machines. Young granted the permission.

“It was the worst thing I’ve ever done in my life,” she said.

Now, she’s pleading with the public to get the vaccine.

“Don’t do it for you,” she said. “Because it’s the people that love you that you need to research, do your homework, to see why you need that shot.”

She believes saving lives can be Stevenson’s legacy.

“We promised he would not die in vain,” she said. “No one that we can touch will go through what we went through because no one deserves it.”

After Stevenson’s death on August 3, one of his sons who was also choosing to not get vaccinated, finally went and got the shot.

https://kfor.com/news/local/a-shot-would-have-saved-him-family-grieves-father-who-died-of-covid-19-thinking-vaccine-was-government-conspiracy/

• Rage+1 1

36 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Just got off phone with mom a bit ago.  She was crying and upset over one of her best friends, who is (and the entire family) a hard core Trumper, who just never thought Covid was something that would affect her, who my mom pleaded with to get a vaxx... has been in intensive care for the past 2 weeks and probably won't make it.  

Dad found out by calling her husband, because they had not heard from either of them since late July.  Turns out he has it, and has for the past 3 weeks or so, but because he isn't bad enough, he is at home.  The husband is depressed because he can't go see his wife, and he is at home by himself.  

So, you get the picture here.  Family, not vaxxed, and the parents who are in their mid-70's are handling this the worst, and one might not make it.

Oh, of the family....3 kids....none of them are vaxxed.  Neither are the in-laws or grandchildren.

To top it off....the daughter is an ICU nurse at, yep, you guessed it...the very hospital where her mother is in ICU.  So is a granddaughter.  So there's at least two ICU nurses at that hospital that I know of that aren't vaxxed...and yet, their very own mother/grandmother is laying in there, due to Covid,  probably in an induced coma, and probably won't leave alive.

But let's not get that fucking shot.  

15 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

“A shot would have saved him,” Family grieves after father who called vaccine a government conspiracy dies of COVID-19

https://kfor.com/news/local/a-shot-would-have-saved-him-family-grieves-father-who-died-of-covid-19-thinking-vaccine-was-government-conspiracy/

This is the only gif I'm going to need for some time.

Will Ferrell Crazy Pills GIF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

I tend to agree with this perspective.  I told my FIL to be clear that he is getting the 3rd shot booster that is currently authorized when he signs up.  He has enough in terms of recent medical history and procedures, including medications he is on, that he can fit under a reasonably broad immunocompromised category.  Maybe a little stretching involved, but not too much that I would be uncomfortable with.  Also told him to run it up the flag pole with his cardiologist for their reaction.  

My wife called a local rite aid pharmacy to ask if she could get a booster. She’s 35, healthy, but 7 months removed from her 2nd dose. The pharmacy had no idea if they were supposed to give her a booster or not and said they’d call her back. Called her back with no real answers but that she could come in and get one that afternoon. 

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

35 and healthy and 7 months removed?  I thought I jumped the line...;)

She’s in R&D for quest diagnostics so technically in healthcare. Also, they had a few people in her building test positive so it didn’t feel like jumping the line too much. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My Tiny Little Problems Dept., Update: Sent an email to all my Juco students in tomorrow's class. Went like this:

Friendly words, friendly words,

Bring a mask, cover mouth and nose when inside

Wear casual clothes, because I'll teach you outside if weather's good

Bla bla, closing friendly words.

BTW, get extra credit by replying that you received this message

Starting to get acknowledgements. Purpose of email is to avoid silly-ass "I didn't know" scenes, and if somebody is full-on Muh Freedom, they are forewarned and free to drop.

I don't know why somebody wouldn't wear casual clothes to a Freshman Juco class, but I put that in there so nobody gets grass stains on they Carolina Herrera Icon Two-Tone Trench Gown.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Going to 2 covid funerals this weekend, one vaxxed, one unvaxxed.

The vaxxed was a friend's mom who took off her oxygen mask to go to her hospital room's lavatory and passed out a few steps from her bed. She had been expected to fully recover. Covid-induced heart attack?

Wife and I are getting our 3rd within a few days.

• Rage+1 2