CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

22 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Of course prior illness is contributory towards herd immunity, but fuck fuck status means there’s an understanding it’s really about avoiding vaccination.

Here’s a Venn diagram of natural immunity bros and anti-vaccine bros:

image.jpeg.67dd255c1137ba05c881f1280d98fbdc.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Or you can just make an appointment or walk into a place, say you haven't been vaccinated, request Phizer or Moderna, and get a shot. 

By all accounts of doctors I spoke with the "booster" would be the same dosage you received in the first two shots. 

Yep.  I'm going in on Monday for my 2nd shot of Pfizer.  3rd shot overall.  And my natural antibodies since I had a breakthrough case.  I'm superhuman now I think.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pods said:

Oxford pre-print just came out with that data for the UK comparing Alpha and Delta. The data runs through August 1. 

2-dose Pfizer provides superior protection to a recovered natural infection for either Alpha, or Delta. 

1453369783_ScreenShot2021-08-19at12_49_36PM.thumb.png.e13937cd4b29eeb63db1ba2bab93a6bb.png

https://www.ndm.ox.ac.uk/files/coronavirus/covid-19-infection-survey/finalfinalcombinedve20210816.pdf

Can’t look at the actual study right now. Did they list the absolute rates breakthrough infection versus re-infection?

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yep.  I'm going in on Monday for my 2nd shot of Pfizer.  3rd shot overall.  And my natural antibodies since I had a breakthrough case.  I'm superhuman now I think.

Can you let me/us know how that process goes for you? Im assuming no one is asking any questions. 

14 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Yammer is gone dude.  It’s now part of Teams.

Good. Yammer was ground zero for CLMs (career limiting moves). It is amazing to me what people will say on a public work forum. 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Good. Yammer was ground zero for CLMs (career limiting moves). It is amazing to me what people will say on a public work forum. 

No worries there, I watched a really well liked employee get herself fired on Workplace by Facebook last year for her thoughts on race relations.  I've heard that we've had similar shit go down on Slack.  And we don't use Teams but I expect it's not much different.  Even without Yammer, there are plenty of places you can go to wreck yourself.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Or you can just make an appointment or walk into a place, say you haven't been vaccinated, request Phizer or Moderna, and get a shot. 

Well, yeah, that's an option I've advocated on here already.  But if some sort of vaccine passport is in our future, I'd rather conform to the protocol than just lie and go rogue.  

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, yeah, that's an option I've advocated on here already.  But if some sort of vaccine passport is in our future, I'd rather conform to the protocol than just lie and go rogue.  

I get that. My wife was concerned about complications since she has her vac card on file at her school where she works. I told her to talk to her nurse and her boss. But at the end of the day, she has her old card, and if she got a new card, could flatly say "Yeah, this is my vaccine history." If you're worried about being able to indicate your own history moving  forward, I mean. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Mole said:

I don’t think it’s possible to jump a line that doesn’t exist.

This.  There is no centralized database.  They don't know shit.  Our problem is definitely not too many people getting vaccinated and there isn't a vaccine shortage, so I don't really care.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, I've made it clear to my kids that full out of state tuition is not happening at most schools.  My daughter is entering her sophomore year at UT -- tuition is like $11K annual.  Why should I put the stress on our family to pay $50K at some lesser school?  I don't care what you "want", I want you to get a degree from the best school possible and when that school is in our backyard, that's what I'll commit to paying. 

That's what I did.  Mines literally might have been the only OOS public school I would have paid for.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

my first two shots were moderna, should i only seek out moderna for my 3rd shot ?

Yes. My parents are immunodeficiency folks, and they spoke to their doctor, and they were told to specifically ask for another dose of what they have already received.  

20 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Got our second shot in April.  Eight months would be December.  Any upside or downside to getting it early, like in October or some such?

Upside? Sure. You're forcing your bodies to make more antibodies before they get low enough to allow major breakthrough or illness. At least that's my reasoning. Several of my friends are doing a UT CARES study that is measuring antibody levels in people who have been vaxxed at different times in the process. They get their results in a couple days. Results vary from person to Person. One got her second shot the same time I did, around April 1st, and her levels were as high as most folks 2-3 months after their second shot (she's at 4.5 months). Another person who had their second shot 6 months ago was down to almost nothing. Your timeline is the same as mine (December is 8 months), and I'm going to go ahead and go in October. I'd rather fill up the gas tank again before I start flirting with empty. 

Then again, I'm not a doctor. But the doctors I've spoken with about this seem to generally agree with the logic. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Your timeline is the same as mine (December is 8 months), and I'm going to go ahead and go in October. I'd rather fill up the gas tank again before I start flirting with empty.

Absent any strong evidence to the contrary, this is my preference.  I'm April 7.  Early October seems about right to me.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Got our second shot in April.  Eight months would be December.  Any upside or downside to getting it early, like in October or some such?

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Absent any strong evidence to the contrary, this is my preference.  I'm April 7.  Early October seems about right to me.

March 26 here. I'm thinking about two weeks prior to Texas OU. I want to be fully loaded for that. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yes. My parents are immunodeficiency folks, and they spoke to their doctor, and they were told to specifically ask for another dose of what they have already received.  

Upside? Sure. You're forcing your bodies to make more antibodies before they get low enough to allow major breakthrough or illness. At least that's my reasoning. Several of my friends are doing a UT CARES study that is measuring antibody levels in people who have been vaxxed at different times in the process. They get their results in a couple days. Results vary from person to Person. One got her second shot the same time I did, around April 1st, and her levels were as high as most folks 2-3 months after their second shot (she's at 4.5 months). Another person who had their second shot 6 months ago was down to almost nothing. Your timeline is the same as mine (December is 8 months), and I'm going to go ahead and go in October. I'd rather fill up the gas tank again before I start flirting with empty. 

Then again, I'm not a doctor. But the doctors I've spoken with about this seem to generally agree with the logic. 

This is kinda my thinking.  It's been almost exactly 6 months since my last dose......I'm thinking that I'm at a 1/4 tank, might as well fill er up soon.

My son is at 5 months, but 1) he's got a slightly dicier immune system, and 2) he's getting ready to leave the country for 3+ months, so i'm really going to have a good conversation with the wife about topping off his tank as well.  Of course, as he noted "I'm 18 now -- if I want to get another shot, I'll go get it."  Adult children -- good stuff.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This is kinda my thinking.  It's been almost exactly 6 months since my last dose......I'm thinking that I'm at a 1/4 tank, might as well fill er up soon.

My son is at 5 months, but 1) he's got a slightly dicier immune system, and 2) he's getting ready to leave the country for 3+ months, so i'm really going to have a good conversation with the wife about topping off his tank as well.  Of course, as he noted "I'm 18 now -- if I want to get another shot, I'll go get it."  Adult children -- good stuff.

100% he needs to get it before leaving the country. i forget, which country will he be studying in ?

Edited by tx 3 putt

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

Can’t look at the actual study right now. Did they list the absolute rates breakthrough infection versus re-infection?

Unfortunately, doesn't look like they calculated absolute breakthrough/re-infection rates and I'd revise my earlier post to reflect that if I could.

They appear to have collected the data as visits, rather than individual patients. I don't know if they have individual patient data, but they didn't report it directly,

Table S2 was as close as they got, but this is for visits, not individual patients. 

s2.png

Edited by Pods
  • Hook 'Em 2

Was this posted earlier?  Didn't want to wade back to see

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/watchdog/2021/08/19/if-north-texas-runs-out-of-icu-hospital-beds-doctors-can-consider-a-patients-vaccination-status/

North Texas doctors have quietly developed a plan that seeks to prepare for the possibility that due to the COVID-19 surge the region will run out of intensive-care beds.

If that happens, for the first time, doctors officially will be allowed to take vaccination status of sick patients into account along with other triage factors to see who gets a bed.

A copy of an internal memo written by Dr. Robert Fine, co-chair of the North Texas Mass Critical Care Guideline Task Force, was sent to members of the task force -- and leaked to The Watchdog. It summarizes the latest work by the task force, a volunteer group that periodically updates medical guidelines for hospitals in our region. There are about 50 members from various hospitals in the group. Although their recommendations are not enforceable, the guidelines are generally followed.

Spoiler

The one-page summary memo is a “heads up” alert in the event things get worse, says Dr. Mark Casanova, director of clinical ethics for Baylor University Medical Center and a spokesperson for the task force. After Monday’s meeting, doctors had yet to make plans to inform the public.

“We’re trying to decide how to explain this addition to the public,” Casanova said.

But after studying the memo and interviewing doctors involved in the decision for two hours this week, The Watchdog can explain it to you.

Although doctors make triage decisions all the time, the proposed guideline addition is significant. Casanova predicted that if this change were copied by others medical care, for as long as the crisis persists, “is going to look and feel different for everybody who is alive right now in the United States of America.”

Yet a leading medical ethicist who studies how COVID-19 affects communities says he worries that adding vaccination status to the triage of patients will unfairly harm low-income people and people of color. These groups are historically disadvantaged when it comes to obtaining proper medical care.

One important note: A non-vaccinated person will not necessarily be denied care when competing with a vaccinated patient for an ICU bed, doctors say. Other medical factors come into play, such as underlying conditions and the likelihood that a patient will get better and leave the hospital.

The memo

The online meeting involving several dozen doctors representing many area hospitals took place Monday. Afterward, in his email, co-chair Fine summarized decisions made by the task force. He boiled it down to three bullet points. Here they are:

1. “COVID-19 vaccination decreases severe infection and death. Vaccine status therefore may be considered when making triage decisions as part of the physician’s assessment of each individual’s likelihood of survival.”

2. “When vaccination status is considered, accommodations may be needed when the reason for non-vaccination is beyond the patient’s control such as but not limited to caretaker refusal to have a disabled dependent vaccinated, recent COVID-19 infection, or medical contraindication.”

3. “Many are understandably angry and frustrated with the unvaccinated, but triage must remain grounded upon likelihood of survival. Health care professionals should continue to honor duties of care and compassion.”

Fine concludes, “I encourage the medical professionals on the task force to share these ideas within their respective organization ethics committees, triage committees and/or any physicians who might be involved in triage decisions.”

‘Bubbling under the surface’

This change will only go into effect if the region’s hospitals agree to call for a Level 3 alert, which puts hospitals in a crisis stage. Fine says he worries that this could happen in two weeks or so.

Using vaccination status in admittance determinations, he says, is an issue that has “been bubbling under the surface.”

Under the new guideline, vaccination status cannot be the single factor, but one of many.

The goal, Casanova said, is and always has been “to save as many lives as possible.”

He gives an example of two patients admitted, and one is vaccinated and the other isn’t. Doctors use scoring to determine who has a better chance of surviving the hospital stay. That patient, vaccinated or not, would get the bed, doctors say.

Doctors and nurses are “soul tired,” Casanova said. “Folks in the trenches are in a bad place now. We’re telling them ‘Here’s the guidelines. Here’s what we have to do. … But remember the cornerstone of our being a health care professional is compassion, mercy and empathy.’”

Under the old guidelines released in January, vaccination status was not mentioned.

Fine said, “This does not move a COVID-19 patient to the back of the line. It is one of many factors that may be considered, and we want it considered based not upon somebody being angry at the unvaccinated subconsciously. We want it considered on an objective basis.” That basis is, what is the likelihood of survival?

Fine explained, “You can’t penalize people by a group or class and just drop all of them to the end of the line just because they’re not vaccinated.”

Disadvantaged groups

Dr. Harald Schmidt, a professor of medical ethics and health policy at the University of Pennsylvania, has studied gaps in medical treatments of COVID-19 patients by race, ethnicity and income.

He said this new North Texas policy is troublesome, especially the part in the memo that allows for exemptions for non-vaccinated patients because of reasons “beyond the patient’s control.”

That excludes the vulnerable poor and people of color, he says. Those groups have received poorer health care, in general, than richer, white communities. They also suffer from lower vaccination rates due to a variety of factors such as lack of transportation and distrust of medical authorities.

“This policy pretends that it is just focusing on objective medical knowledge, but it ignores societal injustices,” Schmidt said. “In such cruel clarity, COVID-19 has exposed the consequences of the structural inequities that we’ve had so long. That’s why it’s critical that we don’t add to that, and in this case, we risk that.”

When I asked the task force doctors about this, they said the subject was discussed in their meeting.

“There was concern about it,” Fine said. “I think we have to acknowledge that the African-American community has been mistreated for 400 years. They have reasons to be distrustful. So we at least want physicians in triage to think about that.”

He added, “The reality is vaccination status can affect the likelihood of survival. Doctors in triage can say, ‘This is a person from a disadvantaged community. We’re going to accommodate them, and we’re going to give it [vaccination status] less weight in our mind.’”

Unfortunately, his memo did not mention this.

“In the first version of my memo, it was there,” Fine told me. But he tried to keep his note short because he said doctors don’t have a lot of time to read.

So he deleted it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Was this posted earlier?  Didn't want to wade back to see

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/watchdog/2021/08/19/if-north-texas-runs-out-of-icu-hospital-beds-doctors-can-consider-a-patients-vaccination-status/

Hide contents

The one-page summary memo is a “heads up” alert in the event things get worse, says Dr. Mark Casanova, director of clinical ethics for Baylor University Medical Center and a spokesperson for the task force. After Monday’s meeting, doctors had yet to make plans to inform the public.

“We’re trying to decide how to explain this addition to the public,” Casanova said.

But after studying the memo and interviewing doctors involved in the decision for two hours this week, The Watchdog can explain it to you.

Although doctors make triage decisions all the time, the proposed guideline addition is significant. Casanova predicted that if this change were copied by others medical care, for as long as the crisis persists, “is going to look and feel different for everybody who is alive right now in the United States of America.”

Yet a leading medical ethicist who studies how COVID-19 affects communities says he worries that adding vaccination status to the triage of patients will unfairly harm low-income people and people of color. These groups are historically disadvantaged when it comes to obtaining proper medical care.

One important note: A non-vaccinated person will not necessarily be denied care when competing with a vaccinated patient for an ICU bed, doctors say. Other medical factors come into play, such as underlying conditions and the likelihood that a patient will get better and leave the hospital.

The memo

The online meeting involving several dozen doctors representing many area hospitals took place Monday. Afterward, in his email, co-chair Fine summarized decisions made by the task force. He boiled it down to three bullet points. Here they are:

1. “COVID-19 vaccination decreases severe infection and death. Vaccine status therefore may be considered when making triage decisions as part of the physician’s assessment of each individual’s likelihood of survival.”

2. “When vaccination status is considered, accommodations may be needed when the reason for non-vaccination is beyond the patient’s control such as but not limited to caretaker refusal to have a disabled dependent vaccinated, recent COVID-19 infection, or medical contraindication.”

3. “Many are understandably angry and frustrated with the unvaccinated, but triage must remain grounded upon likelihood of survival. Health care professionals should continue to honor duties of care and compassion.”

Fine concludes, “I encourage the medical professionals on the task force to share these ideas within their respective organization ethics committees, triage committees and/or any physicians who might be involved in triage decisions.”

‘Bubbling under the surface’

This change will only go into effect if the region’s hospitals agree to call for a Level 3 alert, which puts hospitals in a crisis stage. Fine says he worries that this could happen in two weeks or so.

Using vaccination status in admittance determinations, he says, is an issue that has “been bubbling under the surface.”

Under the new guideline, vaccination status cannot be the single factor, but one of many.

The goal, Casanova said, is and always has been “to save as many lives as possible.”

He gives an example of two patients admitted, and one is vaccinated and the other isn’t. Doctors use scoring to determine who has a better chance of surviving the hospital stay. That patient, vaccinated or not, would get the bed, doctors say.

Doctors and nurses are “soul tired,” Casanova said. “Folks in the trenches are in a bad place now. We’re telling them ‘Here’s the guidelines. Here’s what we have to do. … But remember the cornerstone of our being a health care professional is compassion, mercy and empathy.’”

Under the old guidelines released in January, vaccination status was not mentioned.

Fine said, “This does not move a COVID-19 patient to the back of the line. It is one of many factors that may be considered, and we want it considered based not upon somebody being angry at the unvaccinated subconsciously. We want it considered on an objective basis.” That basis is, what is the likelihood of survival?

Fine explained, “You can’t penalize people by a group or class and just drop all of them to the end of the line just because they’re not vaccinated.”

Disadvantaged groups

Dr. Harald Schmidt, a professor of medical ethics and health policy at the University of Pennsylvania, has studied gaps in medical treatments of COVID-19 patients by race, ethnicity and income.

He said this new North Texas policy is troublesome, especially the part in the memo that allows for exemptions for non-vaccinated patients because of reasons “beyond the patient’s control.”

That excludes the vulnerable poor and people of color, he says. Those groups have received poorer health care, in general, than richer, white communities. They also suffer from lower vaccination rates due to a variety of factors such as lack of transportation and distrust of medical authorities.

“This policy pretends that it is just focusing on objective medical knowledge, but it ignores societal injustices,” Schmidt said. “In such cruel clarity, COVID-19 has exposed the consequences of the structural inequities that we’ve had so long. That’s why it’s critical that we don’t add to that, and in this case, we risk that.”

When I asked the task force doctors about this, they said the subject was discussed in their meeting.

“There was concern about it,” Fine said. “I think we have to acknowledge that the African-American community has been mistreated for 400 years. They have reasons to be distrustful. So we at least want physicians in triage to think about that.”

He added, “The reality is vaccination status can affect the likelihood of survival. Doctors in triage can say, ‘This is a person from a disadvantaged community. We’re going to accommodate them, and we’re going to give it [vaccination status] less weight in our mind.’”

Unfortunately, his memo did not mention this.

“In the first version of my memo, it was there,” Fine told me. But he tried to keep his note short because he said doctors don’t have a lot of time to read.

So he deleted it.

Well, it's flat-out true.  If two sick COVID patients come in presenting similarly, the mathematical odds are that the vaccinated one has a better chance of benefiting from treatment and surviving than the unvaccinated one.

Battlefield triage decisions are horrific, and tragic....but here we are.  When you have finite resources that can't treat ALL the patients, you have to go with the ones most likely to benefit from your treatment.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, it's flat-out true.  If two sick COVID patients come in presenting similarly, the mathematical odds are that the vaccinated one has a better chance of benefiting from treatment and surviving than the unvaccinated one.

Battlefield triage decisions are horrific, and tragic....but here we are.  When you have finite resources that can't treat ALL the patients, you have to go with the ones most likely to benefit from your treatment.

the finding out phase of vax hesitancy appears to moving along well.

• Hook 'Em 3

45 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

March 3 here.  I'm supposed to have rotator cuff surgery in November so I'm hoping I'll be able to move up my timeline for vax by a few weeks.

42 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Sounds an awful lot like death panels to me. Thanks a lot, Obama. 

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/local/orleans/republican-leaders-stall-funding-for-new-orleans-projects-superdome-renovations/289-b42af2a3-f5cc-4358-bdab-1938731e5a38

Louisiana’s State Bond Commission voted to delay action on funding for several projects in New Orleans, including renovations to the Superdome.

Commission members, including Attorney General Jeff Landry, were explicit about what they wanted to see before they would issue funds for the Superdome: Refunds for Saints season ticket holders who would not comply with the new COVID safety protocols as well as an option for them to hold their tickets until next season.

Landry even suggested the option of automatically approving the funds after the Saints adjusted their refund policy to meet that criteria.

Matthew Block, executive counsel for Gov. John Bel Edwards, objected to the motion, noting that the delay could throw the project off schedule.

“It was much discussed in the legislative session, it’s in the overall capital budget to make sure that this ongoing project can stay on target,” Block said. “What is the end goal of trying to remove these funds? To what end? I think the Saints clarified today what their position is.”

Spoiler

But State Board Commission members said they wanted another 30 days to not only see if the Saints changed their policy, but if they did it in a way they considered fair.

The motion passed 12-2.

Millions of dollars in funding for several other New Orleans projects was also delayed, but commission members would not give a clear reason for why they delayed them. However, the motion came on the same week a city-wide vaccine mandate for several businesses went into effect in New Orleans, something the Louisiana GOP has condemned.

“It didn’t take long to figure out what’s going on here and why those had been taken out,” Block said. “It’d be nice to have some articulation about why those projects were taken out.”

The other members of the commission stayed silent and did not answer Block’s question before voting again, passing the motion 12-2.

Houma Rep. Jerome “Zee” Zeringue told the Associated Press after the meeting that the vaccine mandate was just one of several reasons why he voted to stall the funding.

“It’s not entirely about the vaccine mandate,” Zeringue said in an interview with The Associated Press. “There are many issues, of which that’s a concern that’s been expressed by legislators and folks in the region. But that’s not the only reason."

He and other GOP leaders on the commission did not say what any of those other “issues” are. Lawmakers had already reviewed and approved the projects earlier this year.

The State Board Commission’s motion keeps money from going to several projects at New Orleans City Park, LSU’s dental school, Children’s Hospital, disability access projects at Southern University-New Orleans and different projects at local high schools. Millions of dollars meant for the expansion of the port of New Orleans were also delayed.

All these projects will be back up for debate in September.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

HEB is giving a booster if you are immunocompromised, but I doubt they quiz you regarding what your exact condition is. I made an appt for Saturday. I may cancel it. I don’t know, I’m in a moral quandary about lying

edit: just saw above that someone got their third without issues at HEB. Decided fuck it, just gonna do it

Edited by SubliminalHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Texas couple fucked around, found out, now their four children have no parents:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/n7bm97/unvaccinated-moms-dying-wish-make-sure-my-children-get-vaccinated?utm_source=vicenewstwitter

Mom's dying wish? "Make sure my children get vaccinated."

Literally too stupid to live. The problem with  modern version of darwinism is that it is no longer exclusive to the person who fucked around. It now affects everyone around them. If Zog was slow and the lion got him, well, sorry Zog. Now Ken and Karen refuse to get vaxed and they end up killing themselves and likely several people around them. It's a type of thinning the herd, but taking good people with them too. It's bullshit.