CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Hold tight, TB.  Know that your effort is appreciated -- maybe not by the morons who are causing this, but by the rest of us, it really is.  And we're angry FOR you.  We'll carry that anger torch for a while.  You just do what you gotta do to, you know, save human lives -- it's what you do.  And do whatever you have to do to keep yourself going through the process.

When this surge passes, and you all can come up for air, I'll commit to putting the first $100 towards a bar tab for you and any of your colleagues anywhere you want.

Did someone say bar tab?  Count me in.  Sounds a whole lot better than a wreath fund.

1 hour ago, lmao said:

Since you posted this, I guess we should jump the line and go ahead and get the third/booster? I'm so confused.

Good talk, Russ.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I'm not going to say hang in there because you are.

Instead I'll tell you a story. 

4 years ago I got appendicitis and wound up in the emergency room of The Heart hospital.  I was really scared. I'd never been under general anesthesia or had an operation of any kind. I'm also terrified of hospitals. A nurse noticed I was kind of freaking out when she checked on me, leaned in close in a comforting but borderline flirty way, and said,

"I know you are scared, but this is the Heart Hospital. You are by far the healthiest person in this building. You're in good shape, you can breath, you're not all swollen up with edema and everything other than your appendix mostly works. It's our pleasure to take care of you, and I'd rather be in here with you than anywhere else in this building."

And just like that, my worry and anxiety stopped cold. Ended. Simply because a nurse made me feel like my situation, which was the most important thing in the world to me in that moment, was also the most important thing to the people who were taking care of me (even thought that wasn't really true). 

Look, I know the situation is completely different. And I know that you are struggling mightily to even do the basics to take care of yourself. I know that you can't properly care for anybody right now. But I hope you know that a large majority of the people you work with are grateful for the care you, personally, provide,  and that you are living a life of great positive consequence even when it feels like you are overtaken by events. 

It doesn't make it easier, but this time will be a memory soon enough. When it is a memory, make sure you get the help you need to process it. Nobody's blame you for taking this one on the chin. 

• Fuck You 1

I never post but I am an avid reader and appreciate all the great information shared on this forum. Put me down for $200 if you can point us to the Venmo/PayPal/whatever. Thanks for your hard work TB.

Edited by Horn02
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

$100 from me, too.  

The word gets overused, but you're a fucking hero, TB.  

And I know you're not alone, because when my old crotchety ass spent three days in the hospital a couple of years ago, the genuine love, care, and patience I got from my nurses just seemed flat-out superhuman to me.  

The hospital called me to survey a couple of weeks later and asked me if I had any recommendations for them in regards to the care I received.  I just said, "Give every one of your nurses a big raise."  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I'm not going to say hang in there because you are.

Instead I'll tell you a story. 

4 years ago I got appendicitis and wound up in the emergency room of The Heart hospital.  I was really scared. I'd never been under general anesthesia or had an operation of any kind. I'm also terrified of hospitals. A nurse noticed I was kind of freaking out when she checked on me, leaned in close in a comforting but borderline flirty way, and said,

"I know you are scared, but this is the Heart Hospital. You are by far the healthiest person in this building. You're in good shape, you can breath, you're not all swollen up with edema and everything other than your appendix mostly works. It's our pleasure to take care of you, and I'd rather be in here with you than anywhere else in this building."

And just like that, my worry and anxiety stopped cold. Ended. Simply because a nurse made me feel like my situation, which was the most important thing in the world to me in that moment, was also the most important thing to the people who were taking care of me (even thought that wasn't really true). 

Look, I know the situation is completely different. And I know that you are struggling mightily to even do the basics to take care of yourself. I know that you can't properly care for anybody right now. But I hope you know that a large majority of the people you work with are grateful for the care you, personally, provide,  and that you are living a life of great positive consequence even when it feels like you are overtaken by events. 

It doesn't make it easier, but this time will be a memory soon enough. When it is a memory, make sure you get the help you need to process it. Nobody's blame you for taking this one on the chin. 

When that nurse left did a cocky ass white coat come in, look at you like you were acting like a pussy, and tell you check your nut sack cause we are going for a ride?  Cause that may have been me.    In all seriousness... thank God for good nurses.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

18 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

HEB is giving a booster if you are immunocompromised, but I doubt they quiz you regarding what your exact condition is. I made an appt for Saturday. I may cancel it. I don’t know, I’m in a moral quandary about lying

edit: just saw above that someone got their third without issues at HEB. Decided fuck it, just gonna do it

Hey @SubliminalHorn how far out are you from the second shot again?

14 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Didn't watch.  Was he also blaming those dirty immigrants or have we moved on to only blaming the wrong colored citizens?

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

When this surge passes, and you all can come up for air, I'll commit to putting the first $100 towards a bar tab for you and any of your colleagues anywhere you want.

In for $100.

Edited by NameAlreadyInUse
ooops
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Since you posted this, I guess we should jump the line and go ahead and get the third/booster? I'm so confused.

Good talk, Russ.

Nah just posting what Fauci said, if vaccines are going unused or expiring  I wouldn't consider that 'jumping the line'.

Anyways, there are some people who see serious ethical issues with boosters shots when parts of the world have little to no access to a first dose:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/19/world/africa/africa-vaccine-booster-shots.html

• Fuck You 1

43 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Dear Penthouse,

I never thought I would write in but I had to tell this story:

Seriously, at this rate we are sending TB and her nurse buddies on a trip somewhere.  In for $100.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ten Bears said:

Seriously, at this rate we are sending TB and her nurse buddies on a trip somewhere.  In for $100.

I don't think that should necessarily be off the table, if she'd even want to spend time with her coworkers on a getaway.  At the very least a nice dinner, lots of drinks and free rides to/from wherever it is going to happen.  If we can't make that happen, we're aren't nearly as good a bunch of assholes as I thought we were.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, lmao said:

Nah just posting what Fauci said, if vaccines are going unused or expiring  I wouldn't consider that 'jumping the line'.

Anyways, there are some people who see serious ethical issues with boosters shots when parts of the world have little to no access to a first dose:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/19/world/africa/africa-vaccine-booster-shots.html

that feels a bit like 'clean your plate bc there are starving kids in Africa' logic...

i can't read the article bc paywall, but is there some assertion that vaccines not used here could manage to find their way to Africa? if so...sure, send them there. 

but i doubt that's the case. if the choice is just boosters vs sitting in a fridge going bad, why not? 🤔

3 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Uh, so I'm also a nurse. Forgot to tell you guys. I accept Venmo

Yes, but you also failed to inform the crowd here that you work out your work frustrations with gratuitous lesbian sexual encounters.  Details matter to the folks around here.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yes, but you also failed to inform the crowd here that you work out your work frustrations with gratuitous lesbian sexual encounters.  Details matter to the folks around here.

Why would they do that when Slorch would just come fuck it up?

• Haha 6
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Horn Dog said:

When that nurse left did a cocky ass white coat come in, look at you like you were acting like a pussy, and tell you check your nut sack cause we are going for a ride?  Cause that may have been me.    In all seriousness... thank God for good nurses.

When they had me on the table Dr. Feelgood rolls over and starts telling me I'm going to sleep for a while. He says, "you'll count down from five and you won't get to zero".  I said I would, too, and started counting. Pretty sure I got to three. 
When I wake up later he strolls through and says "What did I tell you?" I said, "I'm pretty sure I woke up while I was intubated, because I remember struggling and somebody telling everything was OK, and the next thing I remember I was in here," and he says

"let's call it a draw."

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

1 hour ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I don't think that should necessarily be off the table, if she'd even want to spend time with her coworkers on a getaway.  At the very least a nice dinner, lots of drinks and free rides to/from wherever it is going to happen.  If we can't make that happen, we're aren't nearly as good a bunch of assholes as I thought we were.

She is so gonna get laid.

4 hours ago, The Royal We said:

Welp, got the call last night that I've been expecting and dreading since this whole shitshow started - my mom and dad both tested positive yesterday.  Both unvaxxed, mom is in good health, dad is 70 y.o., overweight, has emphysema, still hits the lung darts and has had some heart issues within the last few years.  Mom got it at an exercise class last Thursday, started feeling shitty on Sunday and has been in bed most of the week.  Dad has no symptoms yet but both of them tested positive yesterday.

The way they've approached Covid has been a huge source of tension in our family pretty much the entire time.  I pleaded, begged, yelled, cussed at them, etc. to get the jab, but they wouldn't do it.  They check all the nutter boxes - talked up and maybe took HCQ, resisted wearing masks, bragged to me this summer about finding a "holistic" doctor to give them Ivermectin and got mad at me when (pre-vax) I didn't want to take my family to large family gatherings with people that I knew were being careless.

The hell of it is, my pops told me that after they tested positive yesterday that they somehow got their hands on and took the antibody treatment.  He reluctantly admitted to me that it wasn't FDA approved and was experimental, but has shown good results according to people they talked to.  What the fucking fuck!?  The vax is scary, will magnetize your arm, isn't approved, was rushed, whatever, but the antibody treatment when your chickens finally come home to roost is just A-O-Fucking-K!?

They live in a small town that doesn't have the capabilities to treat someone crashing with Covid, so I don't know where they will go if things go pear-shaped.  My hope is that pops getting the antibody treatment before symptoms might save his ass.  I don't really know how effective they are, but it certainly can't hurt.  They've got a pulse Ox and are monitoring their levels, so far so good.

I'm so fucking bitter this morning but am trying my best to be stoic.  The echo chamber of BS is very real and very dangerous.

I feel for you and hopefully they pull through. The antibodies should definitely help your dad if he is still asymptomatic. From friends who have gone through with their folks what you are going through, the women are all fine, though more than half are now widows. Obviously none of the men had access to the antibodies. Should be a game changer. 

2 hours ago, lmao said:

Lmao

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I feel for you and hopefully they pull through. The antibodies should definitely help your dad if he is still asymptomatic. From friends who have gone through with their folks what you are going through, the women are all fine, though more than half are now widows. Obviously none of the men had access to the antibodies. Should be a game changer. 

I read an MD's blog post today that claims Regeneron is 50% effective against Delta, but Lilly's drug is ineffective.  They also said FDA had approved a second treatment developed for SARS-1 called "sotrovimab".  I have no idea if this is accurate, just putting it out there.

1 hour ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I’m 7 months out from my 2nd shot

Just FYI, my wife tried to go and get the third Pfizer at Tom Thumb here in Dallas and they turned her away telling her to wait her turn. (She had an appointment.) She got the first dose right around the winter storm so she was a little early. She's had two corneal transplants and had some abdominal issues that led to her gall bladder being removed a couple of years back but she's technically not in immuno-compromised group probably.

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I read an MD's blog post today that claims Regeneron is 50% effective against Delta, but Lilly's drug is ineffective.  They also said FDA had approved a second treatment developed for SARS-1 called "sotrovimab".  I have no idea if this is accurate, just putting it out there.

Seeing the second treatment sent me scurrying back to a text conversation I had with a good friend who was COVID+ patient #1 at UT-Southwestern in March 2020. He nearly died -- in fact, I believe he coded at one point -- after being on a vent for a week or so. (I'm pretty sure he's the reason I had COVID shortly after the same party we were both at on 3/6, 3/7, whenever.) At any rate, doctors were trying everything at the time and they gave him a drug that started with an 'S' and he almost immediately starting getting better. Your post made me go back and look up what it was he told me because I never saw it come up again in a COVID discussion. But, apparently the drug he was given is called Sarilumab.

(Well, I obviously hadn't Googled Sarilumab in quite some time because there's quite a few hits now on it's efficacy from late 2020 and into 2021.)

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

AG's office is completely incapable of being embarrassed by this point.  Moose out front should have told you.

Lol yes I’m working on a case against the AG’s office right now. It’s like they don’t know anything about oil and gas and they simply don’t care.

• Like 1