CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

8 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

HEB is giving a booster if you are immunocompromised, but I doubt they quiz you regarding what your exact condition is. I made an appt for Saturday. I may cancel it. I don’t know, I’m in a moral quandary about lying

Acquaintance here in Dallas apparently was turned away at Walgreens today.  She filled out the form but got turned away apparently when the pharmacist asked some more detailed follow up questions about the extent of her immunocompromise.

37 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Acquaintance here in Dallas apparently was turned away at Walgreens today.  She filled out the form but got turned away apparently when the pharmacist asked some more detailed follow up questions about the extent of her immunocompromise.

That pharmacist is a fucking idiot 

• Hook 'Em 2

Texas school districts must now notify teachers, staff and students’ families of positive COVID-19 cases in classrooms or extracurricular or after-school programs, the Texas Education Agency announced in updated public health guidance Thursday.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/08/19/texas-schools-covid-19-cases/

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Mole said:

My wife and I were breakthroughs a few weeks back; I know a fair number of others. My anecdotal guess is that it’ll be pretty common going forward. 

I know just one breakthrough who was briefly hospitalized. 

Did y’all survive?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Yes Lin. Please convince all your unvaccinated followers that doctors and hospitals are conspiring to kill them so they stay home when that catch the China virus. 

More likely he's going to convince them to walk into the ER and hold a doctor at gunpoint until they administer ivermectin and then start firing if the patient succumbs. I wish I were kidding.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Damn right it's partisan.  Partisan only because stupidity reigns supreme in the GQP and those who support them:

Wait.  Both these conservatives died in hospitals, AND were treated by doctors??  That is awfully suspicious and is all the evidence I need to see this conspiracy!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

My son's kindergarten class has had two confirmed cases since school started last Wednesday. Yesterday, we got a call from the nurse that he is a close contact with the second case, which happened on Monday. He will be getting tested Saturday. We thought about pulling him but it sounds like other parents are doing that so his class is down to about 60% capacity, which seems safer. With remote learning starting next week, we should expect smaller class sizes going forward. He is a pro at mask wearing, which helps us feel a lot better. Daughter is one of only 4 kids in her daycare class. I'm not concerned about her.

We are supposed to go to a cousin's wedding in Wisconsin next week. If the test comes back negative and there are no more close contacts until then, we've decided to make the trip. Getting the hell out of Texas is my main rationale.

What is the best way to test a five year-old? My wife and I want to take the rapid test that's now available before the trip. Anyone have experience with those?

5 minutes ago, berlinerbaer said:

What is the best way to test a five year-old? My wife and I want to take the rapid test that's now available before the trip. Anyone have experience with those?

I had to give my 5 and 6 yo the rapid test (twice, wife can’t read) the other day.  We had also gotten them tested the day before but were trying to get the results back faster.  They took them like champs.  

My 13-year-old son got his second shot today. Now everyone in the house is vaccinated except for my immunocompromised daughter who can't get the vaccine. 
But we're still extremely worried. My wife is a school nurse and classes start next week. The only saving grace right now is that my daughter gets regular IVIg for maintenance of her autoimmune encephalitis. And that's why when she got COVID in April she ended up okay. 
But now our lives are a constant battle to keep her at the top of the list for IVIg treatments as the medical community has started to prioritize COVID cases over maintenance patients. So far her doctors have won each battle but we never know when they'll lose.
Get the vaccine for those who can't. Thanks in advance. 
Sorry you are going through that my man. If I haven't said so, I really appreciate your posts going back to HF I think. Very sharp. informed and often slicing straight through bullshit.
Thanks.
Sorry you have to deal with all this as a dad. Plus Hurricane season...
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

God complex. 

And a . . . pardon me, that was a:

Spoiler

Dick Move GIF - Dick Move - Discover & Share GIFs

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Republican politicians : the reason you white people are getting Covid is because of all the black people and the illegal brown Mexicans,  but it’s not really a big deal anyway.

Republican voters: hrrrrrrrrr seal clap hrrrrrrrrr seal clap

Fucking morons. 

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 2

8 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

First day at Alabama Juco remarkably undramatic. 9/10s of students appear to know how to wear masks properly, remainder responded with no fuss to my dazzling Napoleonic personal charisma, and covered their noses.

Cop on security getting everybody to stop in front of temperature checks was unmasked. I asked him why. "Police officers do not require masks." I let that slide. I imagine he could still voluntarily wear one and show some damn leadership-by-example, but on the other hand he was awake unlike one poor diabetic guy they used to have.

Office staff appear to have established a Magical Zone through warding spells where they sit unmasked in their cubicles and can come to no harm. However, when they venture into the hall, they religiously mask up. I have no reason to go into the office area, but maybe I should hide in there since it is plague-proof.

The Have-Class-Outside-with-Social-Distance-and-Masks-Optional plan proved popular today, with the understanding that we mask up like mummy bandidos whenever we have to be inside.

So far, about 5% of my students are in quarantine. I still think it will blow up at some point within a month and we'll be back on Zoom, but I'd be happy to be surprised.

#teamcanecutter

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1