CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

No vaccine has been or ever will be 100% effective.

Ofcourse not. Just was replying to the 'hope' about what the vaccine might achieve. I think just about everybody hopes for 100% percent effectiveness. Reality doesn't work like that, and this vaccine was no exception. But wasn't everybody hoping for 100%, atleast initially?

Edited by ouflak

12 minutes ago, ouflak said:

Ofcourse not. Just was replying to the 'hope' about what the vaccine might achieve. I think just about everybody hopes for 100% percent effectiveness. Reality doesn't work like that, and this vaccine was no exception. But wasn't everybody hoping for 100%, atleast initially?

No. Just like I wasn't hoping our basketball team would shoot 100% from the field this season. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, ouflak said:

What's the point of addressing the "hopes" of people who don't know what the fuck they're talking about?

I "hope" my wife buys me a Ferrari 488.  So?

• Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, ouflak said:

Sorry if I'm replying out of context. But wasn't the hope initially 100% effectiveness, by pretty much every person on the planet, including and especially those who were developing them?

Ummm.....

27 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

No vaccine has been or ever will be 100% effective.

24 minutes ago, ouflak said:

No.  Literally nobody of any consequence ever even voiced a HOPE of 100% effectiveness, because that would have been a nutbar pipedream.  Everyone of any consequence discussed numbers that were generally in the 50-70% range as being a big success.  So, the answer to your question is a flat "NO."  And further....what's your point in asking it?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, ouflak said:

Sorry if I'm replying out of context. But wasn't the hope initially 100% effectiveness, by pretty much every person on the planet, including and especially those who were developing them?

Ok, not to be "that guy" but come on, grow up, be an adult (at least a college-educated one) and first of all realize that there is no such thing as 100% effectiveness. It doesn't exist in the real world. And this is something the Trumptards latch onto: ooh, ooh, you said it was 100% effective but some dipshit has a cousin in the Caribbean who has a friend whose nuts swolled up after he (or maybe she) got the shot. 

Look, medicine and biology don't play by the 100% rules. I mean, I think a lot of the transgender stuff is bullshit, but there are some people who are born with both, let's say, some biological confusion. It happens. Sorry for the rant (again) but do NOT start any kind of medical topic with 100% effectiveness. It doesn't exist. And it only plays into the dumbfuck's card of coming up with excuses for not getting the vaccine. 

Edited by Asithappens
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

No.  Literally nobody of any consequence ever even voiced a HOPE of 100% effectiveness,

But again, one last thing.  I — we don’t talk enough to you about this, I don’t think.  One last thing that’s really important is: We’re not in a position where we think that any virus — including the Delta virus, which is much more transmissible and more deadly in terms of non — unvaccinated people — the vi- — the various shots that people are getting now cover that.  They’re — you’re okay.  You’re not going to — you’re not going to get COVID if you have these vaccinations. 

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2021/07/22/remarks-by-president-biden-in-a-cnn-town-hall-with-don-lemon/

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, ouflak said:

Hmm... do you remember an article or something from an interview that made you recall that? 

Lol, never mind:

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:
Edited by YChang

34 minutes ago, Red Five said:

No. Just like I wasn't hoping our basketball team would shoot 100% from the field this season. 

28 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I "hope" my wife buys me a Ferrari 488.  So?

Yeah, but (I'm assuming) those are excedingly unlikely events aren't they? Developing a high effective vaccine, I think not so unlikely....

Polio Vaccine - 90%, 99% - 100% with mulitiple doses

Smallpox Vaccine - 95%

Diptheria Vaccinee - 96.9 - 98.2 with multiple - not sure about a single dose.

Measles Vaccine - 93%, higher with multiple

Rabies Vaccine (if immediately given upon suspected transmission - 100%

Covid Vaccine - 86% - 95% - depending on brand and followups

Those are pretty high historical percentage for some of the more well-known vaccines that have been developed over the decades. I don't think it's a win-the-lottery hope for 100% effectiveness, atleast at the initial stages, especially with a more adavanced technology being employed.

Edited by ouflak
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, ouflak said:

Yeah, but (I'm assuming) those are excedingly unlikely events aren't they? Developing a high effective vaccine, I think not so unlikely....

Wait what? You were talking about 100%, not "highly effective". I have no idea what point you're trying to make. 

5 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

So one of my wife's medical assistants has fever and is symptomatic and her husband just tested positive for COVID, but they say she has to stay at work or she wont get her holiday pay at all.  This is what happens when corporations take over healthcare.  Good work idiots.

It amazes me how many will completely distrust the government yet completely believe in some sort of inherent morality residing in capitalists.

Show me King George.  I’ll show you Pharma Bro jacking up the price of HIV drugs by 1000%, Camel pimping cigarettes to minors through Joe Cool, the NFL response to the CTE phenomenon, Boeing and their 737 quality control, Exxon and the Valdez oil spill, etc... etc... etc...

People with a fucking profit motive can’t be trusted to do anything other than maximizing their profits.

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, ouflak said:

Polio Vaccine - 90%, 99% - 100% with mulitiple doses

Smallpox Vaccine - 95%

Diptheria Vaccinee - 96.9 - 98.2 with multiple - not sure about a single dose.

Measles Vaccine - 93%, higher with multiple

Rabies Vaccine (if immediately given upon suspected transmission - 100%

Covid Vaccine - 86% - 95% - depending on brand and followups

Those are pretty high historical percentage for some of the more well-known vaccines that have been developed over the decades. I don't think it's a win-the-lottery hope for 100% effectiveness, atleast at the initial stages, especially with a more adavanced technology being employed.

And? Everyone hoped it would be highly effective, meaning well north of 50% and substantially more effective than our flu vaccines. No one expected 100% effectiveness as that would be entirely unrealistic. You've literally identified the most effective vaccines we've ever developed, which include the Covid mRNA vaccines. I really don't understand what point you're trying to make. I'm assuming it is an incredibly stupid one. 

20 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Not this shit again. Do your alma mater a favor and at least pretend like you've attended a statistics class.

I said it just is not Trumpers refusing to get vaxxed.  Which is true.  I never said there are more unvaxxed minorities than Trumpers.  So at least pretend you've attended a remedial level English class for the sake of your alma mater.

I think any adult who is not vaxxed is an idiot.  You cloak room lefties only talk about the Trumpers not vaxxing.  Not other groups with low vax rates.  Because you hate Trumpers.  And are too pussy to dare say anything negative about your favorite groups, even if they are -- like Trumpers -- stupidly not getting vaxxed.  

Edited by Johnny Sack

9 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I said it just is not Trumpers refusing to get vaxxed.  Which is true.  I never said there are more unvaxxed minorities than Trumpers.  So at least pretend you've attended a remedial level English class for the sake of your alma mater

Classic troll, nicely done. Spend months only posting about how it's the BLACKS and MINORITIES and ILLEGALS refusing vaccination and driving COVID, and then when someone finally makes the inference you've spent so much time pointing at, you insult them for doing so.

You are emblematic of the rot of this message board and our country. Congrats, deacon.

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

I'm pretty sure I and dozens if not hundreds of CR posters have railed against the lunacy of anti-vaxxers and not-vaxxers w/o lumping them together as "Trump supporters" . . . oh, hundreds of times.  

Strawman argument.  I don't care if you're Aaron Rodgers or Nicki Minaj, you're a fucking idiot if you don't get the vaccine.  Skin color is irrelevant.

Now, let's talk about the largest demographic that leans anti-vax for covid.  You up for it, Sack?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Classic troll, nicely done. Spend months only posting about how it's the BLACKS and MINORITIES and ILLEGALS refusing vaccination and driving COVID, and then when someone finally makes the inference you've spent so much time pointing at, you insult them for doing so.

You are emblematic of the rot of this message board and our country. Congrats, deacon.

I have never said it was only blacks, minorities and illegals refusing vaccinations.  Don't recall saying much about illegals and vaccines either.  Nice strawman.

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm pretty sure I and dozens if not hundreds of CR posters have railed against the lunacy of anti-vaxxers and not-vaxxers w/o lumping them together as "Trump supporters" . . . oh, hundreds of times.  

Strawman argument.  I don't care if you're Aaron Rodgers or Nicki Minaj, you're a fucking idiot if you don't get the vaccine.  Skin color is irrelevant.

Now, let's talk about the largest demographic that leans anti-vax for covid.  You up for it, Sack?

Sure.  They are idiots.  Can't make them do something they should.

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

But we CAN refuse them access to much of society.

You can choose to opt out of society.  So, you've opted out.  I think what places like Germany have done is fantastic: unvaxxed?  Cool, you can enter places that are absolutely necessary for living -- grocery store, pharmacy, basic public transport (subway, bus) etc.  As for the "pleasures in life" - going into a restaurant, going to a Christmas market, going to a bar or club.....show proof of vaccination, or be denied admittance.

Being an active part of society involves some mutual obligations.  If you refuse to engage in them, cool.  Go live off the grid, sit in your cabin and write your manifesto.  We can't and shouldn't stop you from doing that.  But if you want to participate in society, be prepared to follow some pretty easy-to-follow rules (we already have a bunch of them that we have no problem enforcing: go into a restaurant naked, or shit on the floor, or start breaking shit, or disrupt the place by yelling at everyone, and you'll get kicked out....and most everyone knows and understands that).  Proof of vaccination as a key to enter social establishments is a pretty common sense move.

But we can't even do that, because every American apparently has a sacred and inviolable right to go into Applebees and sneeze on everyone else's meal and maybe punch a waitress in the face if she dares to say "you shouldn't do that."

You think your improperly worn cloth mask and vaccine stops the spread? It does not.  See NY case counts.

It does stop people from dying.  Which means only idiots who refuse to vax are only harming themselves. I am vaccinated.  Every adult in my family is as well.  They are wonderful.

But this virus is spreading everywhere and gives zero fucks about your cloth mask or your vaccine. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

You think your improperly worn cloth mask and vaccine stops the spread? It does not.  See NY case counts.

It does stop people from dying.  Which means only idiots who refuse to vax are only harming themselves. I am vaccinated.  Every adult in my family is as well.  They are wonderful.

But this virus is spreading everywhere and gives zero fucks about your cloth mask or your vaccine. 

Germany doesn't allow cloth masks.  Surgical or KN95.

And, for the millionth time, YES, being vaccinated makes you LESS likely to contract and carry the disease, and if you do contract it, makes your viral load lower, reducing the likelihood of transmission.

So, limiting access to the vaccinated does REDUCE transmission.  It's no guarantee, but it helps.  And yes, requiring real masks helps reduce transmission.

You can't shit in the middle of Applebees.  You can't walk in with no pants.  You should be restricted from showing up without being vaccinated.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't single out particular demographics very often, but if you want me to, how's this work for you, Sack?

As of mid-September, 52.2% of people in counties that went Biden were vaccinated, versus 39.9% of people in counties that went Trump, and that gap was growing with time.

51% of black Americans are vaccinated (~ 18M unvaccinated)

40% of Republicans are vaccinated (~ 50M unvaccinated)

You keep talking about the wrong group.  Funny how that works.

All idiots.  I am talking about both.  Let them learn the hard way.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

I said it just is not Trumpers refusing to get vaxxed.  Which is true.  I never said there are more unvaxxed minorities than Trumpers.  So at least pretend you've attended a remedial level English class for the sake of your alma mater.

I think any adult who is not vaxxed is an idiot.  You cloak room lefties only talk about the Trumpers not vaxxing.  Not other groups with low vax rates.  Because you hate Trumpers.  And are too pussy to dare say anything negative about your favorite groups, even if they are -- like Trumpers -- stupidly not getting vaxxed.  

This is all bullshit. Not that I'm surprised. I've been critical of the silence--especially early on--of the leaders within the black community regarding the vaccine. I sure as shit piled on Antonio Brown and Kyrie Irving's dumb asses. But at least black people in America have historical precedent to be apprehensive of government-issued inoculations. I still think they're being irresponsible, but, yeah, I give them a little more slack than Captain I Did My Own Research. They also don't tend to be the ones feverishly spreading misinformation and lies on social media and "news" outlets. Then, you take into account the actual numbers and percent of the population...

...and who deserves more scorn and ridicule? Jesus fuck this shouldn't be so hard to grasp.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

You see, because there is a percentage of people who don't wear masks properly we should just not bother with any sort of efforts to prevent the spread of the disease.

12 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Which VA facility? Doris Miller here in Waco stopped that earlier this year, during the summer maybe? As far as I've seen only the clinic has anyone taking temps and doing questioning upon entry. Other buildings, Blind rehab, physical rehab, hell even the building they're using for COVID shots, aren't doing the screening upon entry. 

Temple main. They changed the traffic pattern to route you around the right side of the main building to do all the checks before you could park. Granted, I haven’t been there in 6+ months, so maybe something changed recently.  The temple satellite clinic near cinemark on 35 was also checking at the door since they were in a shared parking lot. 

If Omnicron crowds our Delta, and this less lethal wave leads to endemic management.

The Great Reframing will start. The usual suspects will begin to reframe the narrative. It wasn’t a big deal. The children were forever harmed by missing school. It was all for political control. They want to take away your rights, etc. The 850K dead won’t matter, because they don’t give a shit about them. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 3

4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I tested positive yesterday and made the mistake of letting my mom and stepdad know, and now my stepdad’s son in law, who is an antivax doctor, has called in a prescription of ivermectin for me.

Tell him to look into fluvoxamine if he is going to be writing scripts. 

• Hook 'Em 1