CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

4 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Has there ever been any explanation of why they did this?   Even when he is doing stuff for spite, he usually spouts some BS reason. 

It was part of a dismantling of social services to help balance out the 2.3 + trillion dollar corporate welfare to billionaires that was the 2017 tax reform. 

So now that we're all fucked we can take solace in the fact that billionaires got to add a few hundred million dollars to their pockets at our expense

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Katie Porter just got herself on my personal wtf fuck list

I don't understand. I am slow today. Got a bug. Chest cold and headache. My apologies.

Ohhh - not what the f but instead WANT to f. 

sorry. 

She is in the Elisabeth Moss lane, but more importantly "smart is attractive." 

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

I don't understand. I am slow today. Got a bug. Chest cold and headache. My apologies.

Ohhh - not what the f but instead WANT to f. 

sorry. 

She is in the Elisabeth Moss lane, but more importantly "smart is attractive." 

no, you were right the first time: https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/8373-your-wtf-celebrity-crush/

it's happening ron paul GIF

Coronavirus: Czech Republic Declares State of Emergency for 30 Days

The Czech government has declared a state of emergency in response to the coronavirus epidemic, as reported by Aktualne.cz

Pubs and restaurants will be closed as of Friday after 8pm. Gyms, swimming pools, and other sports facilities, clubs, galleries, and libraries will also be closed as well as eateries in shopping malls.

The government forbids Czech citizens to travel Italy, Austria, Germany, China, Iran and South Korea.

Foreigners from high-risk countries will be banned from entering the country and Czech nationals will be prohibited from travelling to high-risk destinations.

Foreigners will not be able to enter the Czech Republic from Germany and Austria.

In addition, the Czech police are now being deployed to check whether people who have been ordered into quarantine are staying indoors. Among the more than 1,000 people quarantined are two Czech senators who recently undertook a trip to Italy.

The state of emergency will last 30 days.

1. with effect from 13 March 2020 at 18.00 pm theatre, music, film and other artistic performances, sports, cultural, religious, dance, exhibitions, festivals, pilgrimages, shows, markets, fairs, educational events, both public and private, with a participation of more than 10 persons at the same time, can be prohibited. This measure does not apply to meetings of constitutional bodies, public authorities, courts and other public or private persons (eg the general meeting of a public limited company)

2. with effect from 13 March 2020, from 8 pm, public presence between 8 pm and 8 am in food establishments.

3. with effect from 13 March 2020 at 8 pm could be banned the public in sports facilities, gyms, natural and artificial swimming pools, solariums, saunas, wellness services, music and social clubs, entertainment facilities, public libraries, and gallery.

Pussification of The Daily Texan

Okay - I am drawing a line in the sand. Any political posters will have their content moderated for a week. That means we approve your posts everywhere before they go live. I am busy as fuck and that basically means you will have a 5-8 hour delay on your responses.
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Has there ever been any explanation of why they did this?   Even when he is doing stuff for spite, he usually spouts some BS reason. 

If I had to guess, it would be because that particular "unit" was very "international."  Like NATO, UN, WHO.

It looks like it's really Bolton's fault.  So maybe it wasn't sufficiently belligerent.  Goddamn pacifists.

16 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The States have genuinely given up on waiting for the Feds and are taking this thing by the horns. 

About fucking time.

Speaking of which, has hot wheels said/done anything in the nature of leadership?  Did I miss something?  Is he afraid of showing up his orange idol?

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Speaking of which, has hot wheels said/done anything in the nature of leadership?  Did I miss something?  Is he afraid of showing up his orange idol?

I haven't heard anything but to be fair I would probably ignore it if I did. His last tweet was 3/10 about an MS-13 gang member arrested near Alpine, TX.

Just now, Judge Roybeanbag said:

95% of it is the trumpkin snowflakes.  Whining and reporting.  Immamac should retitle it the Coronavirus Snowflake Safe Space Thread.

Can the intelligent, productive posters agree to post all news here?  This thread could become the place to discuss all coronavirus news, including politics (instead of the thread for specifically-political aspects of the pandemic).  It’s getting old switching back and forth between boards anyway.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Pussification of The Daily Texan

nevermind that even if only refer to events using the titles of the people involved, and citing the actual concrete decisions being made on OUR behalf, to reflect on how it may impact health outcomes across the country - YOU'LL STILL GET BITCHED AT FOR BEING POLITICAL! They just want their fucking safe space

1 minute ago, BrickHorn said:

Can the intelligent, productive posters agree to post all news here?  This thread could become the place to discuss all coronavirus news, including politics (instead of the thread for specifically-political aspects of the pandemic).  It’s getting old switching back and forth between boards anyway.  

That's the way I view these things. I figure the Daily Texan thread is "All news about it except NO POLITICS ALLOWED" while the Cloak Room version is "All news about it" when major current events are in process.

Edited by Huckleberry

Just now, BrickHorn said:

Agree.  I mean I get the original guidance of not posting actual names of politicians, but people are angry and you just can't have a discussion about it without talking about government response or non-response at whatever level.

Just now, Captainant said:

nevermind that even if only refer to events using the titles of the people involved, and citing the actual concrete decisions being made on OUR behalf, to reflect on how it may impact health outcomes across the country - YOU'LL STILL GET BITCHED AT FOR BEING POLITICAL! They just want their fucking safe space

Fine.  Let them have it.  All of us who don’t mind discussing the politics of it should just move the conversation over here.  Who cares if the DT thread becomes a vehicle for Hannity propaganda?  

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

That's the way I view these things. I figure the Daily Texan thread is "All news about it except NO POLITICS ALLOWED" while the Cloak Room version is "All news about it" when major current events are in process.

Page counts on the two threads implies that yours has been the minority view up to this point.  But we’d all be better off adopting your approach.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

LMAO.  I made it a minute.  Hard science, there.

The smartest thing he's ever done is start posting 10 minute videos instead of text/graphics links that can be read, digested, refuted, and shown to be complete idiocy all within 3 minutes. I don't have any desire to watch 10 minutes of idiocy in order to tear it apart.

I would at some point like to know the full story on CV tests.

I have pretty high confidence in our domestic biotech industry to respond to demand for such a test, quickly and accurately.  Even if there is no or a reduced profit motive, there is sufficient "hero" or PR factor that even the grimiest pimps of pharma should respond with alacrity (well not Shkreli obviously, but his ilk are not the ones with the capability).

Unless the industry isn't given what is needed (viral material, data from abroad).  Or is somehow precluded from developing tests.

This is a real wtf to me.

• Like 1

Isn't the most logical thing to do now is just to go on TV and say we've fucked this up so far, but from here on out there's a blank check for public health, and we're going to do whatever it takes to get ahead of it. If we need to roll out Army field hospitals, we will do it., need to deploy the Corps and CB's to build stuff, we'll do it, etc. 

• Like 2

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk