CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, CheesePie said:

Our testing numbers are going to be skewed to the point of uselessness if and when we ever get a testing system operational. I'm convinced hundreds of people in the U.S. have already died from this, with the cause of death being determined as the flu.

There will be many many thousands more and the cause will be known.

At HEB this morning, I overheard a stocker who was probably in his 40s or 50s complaining that “the media is really screwing us” about coronavirus.  At first I was pissed, and then I had a “common clay of the Old West” internal dialogue moment.  Most people are just really fucking stupid.  The problem is Trump has stupid people voting.  

Depends on context. There is definitely a bit of an unnecessary run on supermarkets and pharmacies. That could make things worse if it evolves to huge crowds for panic buying, causing unnecessary shortages and spreading the disease. Think gas in Austin during Harvey, but with germs. In that sense, I could agree. Of course, that's not so much the media's doing as the idiot consumers'.
  • Like 1

Whelp, sounds like the WH is opposing the Dem plan, so we will wait and twist in the wind.   Pelosi pretty much holds all the cards here, so if I were her, I'd sequester my members in their DC residences and just wait Trump out.  Two more days of market turmoil should bring Trump to the table. 

This. Play hardball. It's better to have a good bill at the start of next week than some stupid ass payroll tax cut.
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Maybe this is me wishcasting, and I in no way want anyone to die or be harmed for this to happen, but you might think US buttfucking this pandemic as hard as it seems to be doing, that universal healthcare might be gaining more votes with this?

One would hope.

At the very least, I'm hopeful that this will be just bad enough to revamp our entire approach to pandemic prevention. Of course, memories are short, so even if we do allocate funding and resources to bolster prevention, in 20+ years, this will be a distant memory and people will be moving to cut, cut, cut again.

Edit: The above reads like I'm rooting for catastrophe in order to have better prevention down the road. I'm obviously hoping that we get a hold of this asap.

Edited by Foosters

42 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

As much as I love seeing the Republicans shoot themselves in their collective tiny dick, this is not the time to root for more of the same.  Pelosi & team need to figure out a way to get a reasonable package drafted and presented such that it isn't rejected for partisan bias alone.

I realize that I'm asking the adults in the room to act for the greater good, because the children won't, but sometimes that's more important than scoring points.

That's the problem though and has been for awhile. Division is the GOP's lifeblood. Boehner was very candid that they were pre-opposed to any future Obama proposals years ago before there was any chance of considering the merits of unseen proposals. McConnell has revelled in his self-appointed title of "The Grim Reaper" and recently reiterated Boehner's sentiment that he would block any proposal, sight unseen, of a future Dem administration. It behooves the GOP to maintain division. Trump's proposal of eliminating Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security taxes during this crisis

1. Will do next to nothing helping workers not earning a paycheck through this crisis

2. Will actually make the strain on our healthcare system worse by decreasing funding when we should be doing the opposite.

Edited by Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand
  • Like 3

I stopped at whole foods and there was a young couple in front of me with their baby chatting up the cashier about the virus and how they were not worried and it was overblown.  They left and the cashier chatted me up.   She mentioned the virus is not new, etc.  I mentioned the strain of the virus is new and we have no immunity.  She wasn't too worried.  She seemed to think it would just go around the world like a storm and not sit on us like Harvey did.   I then asked her if she heard about Italy, and how they had 200 people die in 24 hours, and there are not enough respirators, and they are treating it like a triage in some areas where people over 65 are basically being turned away according to some reports.  She seemed shocked, it could get that bad.  Then went on about where was the CIA, FBI, NASA in all of this?   I was surprised how quickly she went from denial to conspiracy.  I didnt have that much stuff.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, sachick said:

A friend just booked a flight for her family of 4 from Austin to Chicago for Easter weekend in April for less than $400. Round trip.

Wife booked round trip to Vegas a few months ago for July through Southwest.

On Tuesday, the same flights were $100 less.

On Thursday, another $100 was knocked off.

If this keeps up, we probably are looking at $250 round trip for the two of us total.

32 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Depends on context. There is definitely a bit of an unnecessary run on supermarkets and pharmacies. That could make things worse if it evolves to huge crowds for panic buying, causing unnecessary shortages and spreading the disease. Think gas in Austin during Harvey, but with germs. In that sense, I could agree. Of course, that's not so much the media's doing as the idiot consumers'.

The only thing this HEB was low on was hand sanitizer (and the well-known substitutes).  They had plenty of everything else and the place was as empty as you’d expect at 730 AM.  He was just doing what Trump Cultists do; none of it was based on evidence or logic.

We need a far more robust social welfare system.
We need to start thinking about the demands we need to make of the next president. Those old people weeping in parking lots out of fear should inspire rage in all of us. That is completely fucking unacceptable.
Imagine a better world. Imagine we had public employees whose job it was to check in with old people and make sure they have everything they need to live in peace, health, and dignity as they wind out their last days. Guaranteed jobs that they could be proud of and would be good for everyone.
This system is sick.

And it’s also sad that I’m the greatest country in the world, one of the concerns about closing schools is that for some students, those are the only meals they get. If the schools close, kids won’t eat.
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

The only thing this HEB was low on was hand sanitizer (and the well-known substitutes).  They had plenty of everything else 

Isn't HEB rationing some of that stuff?  I thought I saw a sign about buying only so much TP, etc.  Maybe I was hallucinating because of this damned feverish cough I've been dealing with.

Limbaugh bringing the LuLz : I don’t even remember the swine flu ! 60mil infected !!! 300k in hospitals !!!! No one cares because Obama was president !!!! No media panic !!! Republicans never attempted to politicize the swine flu !!!!!!!!  Every move the Dems are making is to grow govt !!!!!!

we’re all good, corona numbers are much lower. He’s too mad to be panicked. It’s going to fizzle out Because of the actions trump have taken !!!

market will bounce back like never seen before. trump making all the right moves now to bounce this economy back, just wait !!!

obama !!!!!

obama !!!!!!

obama !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clinton !!!!!!!!!

dems don’t understand trump because no Democrat has achieved half as much as trump !!!!!!!

Edited by tx 3 putt

3 minutes ago, sachick said:

And it’s also sad that I’m the greatest country in the world, one of the concerns about closing schools is that for some students, those are the only meals they get. If the schools close, kids won’t eat.

As far as the greatest country, I think we'd all be a lot more emotionally healthy if we base our greatness on our success in the World Cup, rather than our ability to wipe out indigenous peoples or Nazis.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tantric superman said:

As far as the greatest country, I think we'd all be a lot more emotionally healthy if we base our greatness on our success in the World Cup, rather than our ability to wipe out indigenous peoples or Nazis.

Greatest.  Country.  Ever.

Image result for uswnt world cup 2019

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

There is zero chance this administration would report if Trump or any of the cabinet tested positive for COVID-19.   At this point I'd be shocked if any republican admitted they have/had it.

Really?  If I was Trump and had it, I'd come out and say it.  If you die, your dead, you don't have to deal with the fallout of your malfeasance and are otherwise free from giving a shit.  If you live, the evangelicals will worship you as the 2nd coming who rose from the dead for our salvation.  To everyone else, you can say, "See?  I told you, its not really a big deal.  Even signed an order while at my worst."

9 minutes ago, sachick said:

Economic reality for many of those less fortunate in our society. 

Schools are looking for ways to feed kid when schools close. 

We are becoming a third-world nation with our lack of basic services. And we will have the same unrest as third-world countries the more some ignore that fact. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

State of Texas pulled the number of case in Texas from their website.   

https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/coronavirus/

Here it is yesterday

https://web.archive.org/web/20200311020918/https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/coronavirus/

Have fun with that.  

they're still up. not sure what your point is here

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

State of Texas pulled the number of case in Texas from their website.   

https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/coronavirus/

Here it is yesterday

https://web.archive.org/web/20200311020918/https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/coronavirus/

Have fun with that.  

Trump- Listen to your local officials.

Local officials- *silence*

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk