Denis Villeneuve's Dune

Michael Knight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul shutting down Mohiam was particularly satisfying. I remember that the word “abomination” has a specific meaning in this world but don’t really remember what it is. I need to bust out the appendix from book one.

And bears repeating: my goodness Rebecca Ferguson is lovely. Her arc in this is great. I was kind of annoyed at how they portrayed her has a blubbering nancy though part one and part of two, but she came around bigly.

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

... I remember that the word “abomination” has a specific meaning in this world but don’t really remember what it is. ...

Not sure if there is some other significance that you are remembering, but ...

Spoiler

Abomination refers to Paul actually being the Kwisatz Haderach with all the Bene Gesserit powers.  Jessica was supposed to birth a female that, as part of the Bene Gesserit breeding program would have been coerced to marry Feyd Rautha and birth a male child.  That male child was supposed to be the Kwisatz Haderach that the Bene Gesserit would manipulate/control.  Mohaim despised Paul since birth (also why she went hard on him with the "hand in the box" test).  She was so mad about Jessica's betrayal / Paul's existence, that she was the mastermind that set everything in motion (via the Emperor) to destroy House Atreides.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

My only real quibble with this movie was the pacing of the first hour.  I think this is due to Part Two starting in the middle of the second act of a 5 hour movie.  That took me a bit to adjust to for some reason.  The movie was absolutely gorgeous to look at.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I really liked the first hour.

The sniping of the Sardaukar and them falling to their deaths was great. And some of the best action shots happened early.

It was the middle third that dragged for me a little.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, bernorange said:

Not sure if there is some other significance that you are remembering, but ...

Hide contents

Abomination refers to Paul actually being the Kwisatz Haderach with all the Bene Gesserit powers.  Jessica was supposed to birth a female that, as part of the Bene Gesserit breeding program would have been coerced to marry Feyd Rautha and birth a male child.  That male child was supposed to be the Kwisatz Haderach that the Bene Gesserit would manipulate/control.  Mohaim despised Paul since birth (also why she went hard on him with the "hand in the box" test).  She was so mad about Jessica's betrayal / Paul's existence, that she was the mastermind that set everything in motion (via the Emperor) to destroy House Atreides.

Spoiler

hmm. don't think that was it. at least in the books. I know it was used to refer to Paul here by Mohain, but in the novels, it is a reference to Alia.

I agree with the thought that this could have been a trilogy but considering the real world pressures in just getting this done (remember, part II was not even guaranteed), I think Denis did an excellent job. The Chani part will be controversial, but the relationship was well done and did a lot of the heavy lifting as to what costs Paul was going to bear. The movie was a not so sneaky love story, and I understand a recent interview that Denis had about this angle more. I thought the transition from Paul taking up the mantle to the actual battle was the weakest part of the movie, but the novel suffers from that as well. Rebeca Ferguson was outstanding. The simple shot of her face when she was talking to her daughter and deciding on the strategy of conversion while staring at the Fremen was great. I don't get the Austin Butler love. This is like one of the simplest character types to play, and I guess he hit that mark, but he is like deadwood as an actor.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

boy i feel like ^that's pretty spoilery, albeit not for the current movie lol. kind of wish i hadn't read it but by the time i realized that it was too late 🙈

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 1

Saw it Sunday, not on IMAX or 4D (lol).  The art direction, cinematography and score are works of art and a pinnacle of achievement in those fields, imo.  The acting and writing/adaptation are good but not at that level.  Overall, I'd say its a very good movie and I'm going to try to see it again in IMAX (we do not have one close to us).

• Hook 'Em 1

I saw it yesterday and really, really enjoyed it. The movie was really well done, some of those shots were breathtaking. The fight scenes were great and the the special effects didn't get in the way of that or the story. 

I liked that they broke it up in two movies, but part 2 still packed a lot it. I did think they shorted the story line with Alia and Thufir Hawat was a no show in part 2. In the movie she's unborn. In the book, she's born. Her and Hawat play pivotal roles in the ending. 

Even with the edited story, it's still good. I liked it so much, may go see it again in the next couple of weeks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Villeneuve thinks dialogue is, to quote him “shit”. Completely on brand to cut the dinner scene. 

Needs more random vocal screams in the background 

Just got back. I echo what everyone else said.  It's an cinematic achievement. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before.  Just a marvel.

Now we have to wait about 1000 days until the next one. 

• Rage+1 1

18 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Ive watched it twice. Ill go again before it leaves the theater 

wish part 1 would have included the dinner party scene on arakisis 

I’m about 30% through Dune right now and I’m loving it so far. The dinner scene and the subplot of Hawat thinking Jessica could be the traitor would have been nice to see play out in the movie. I think it would have given both more depth in Dune part 1, especially when Jessica confronts Hawat about him thinking she could betray Leto. 

1 minute ago, Levi said:

I’m about 30% through Dune right now and I’m loving it so far. The dinner scene and the subplot of Hawat thinking Jessica could be the traitor would have been nice to see play out in the movie. I think it would have given both more depth in Dune part 1, especially when Jessica confronts Hawat about him thinking she could betray Leto. 

the dinner party scene gives a quick look into the politics and power players on arrakis 

Saw it last night on the Dolby Immersive screen and was a good way to go. Audio was amazing. Movie completely lives up to the hype - especially the last hour.

Zendaya didn’t work for me - no screen presence imo - just looked like a pouty teen (which I guess she was) - but something was missing for me.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just saw it in IMAX, and holy hell the Giedi Prime scenes shot in infrared were spectacular! It was a really cool effect too as people went from inside where it was normal to outside under the black sun. Really spectacular

And yeah definitely stay away from wikis if you want to avoid spoilers, but holy canoli Dune gets pretty goddamn buck wild as you get deeper into the series lol

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/6/2024 at 3:32 PM, Buzzrock said:

I really liked the first hour.

Hide contents

The sniping of the Sardaukar and them falling to their deaths was great. And some of the best action shots happened early.

It was the middle third that dragged for me a little.

Spoiler

Minor gripe but those were Harkonnen troops, not Sardaukar.

Sardaukar wear these suits in both movies:

The-Sardaukar-in-Denis-Villeneuves-Dune.thumb.webp.3dc96f5aa950f47eb948e8325a72cda2.webp

• Like 1

Boy, does this movie gets better on subsequent viewings. I saw it for the second time and was even more blown away. The first time I was mostly in awe of the spectacle and didn't pay attention as closely to the various actors' performances and more nuanced parts of the story as told by Denis, especially by the performances of Timothee Chalamet and Austin Butler.

No spoilers, but there's a certain point in the movie/book that's a turning point for Paul's personality and how he carries himself (if you've read the books/seen the movie you know exactly what I'm talking about) and Chalamet absolutely NAILS it. He was great as Paul before that moment through the first movie and up to this point in the second, but his performance after this transformation was unbelievable. Oscar worthy, in my opinion. He really makes you believe he is HIM.

Austin Butler absolutely nailed the creepy, unpredictable, dangerous, but strangely almost-but-not-quite affable/honorable vibe they were going for with Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen. I love that he simply chose to speak like Stellan Skarsgard in order to nail down his voice for the part.

Spoiler

When you realize at the end that his "You fought well, Atreides" line is actually a sincere compliment, and not a taunt like it was set up to be earlier in the film when he kills the one coherent Atreides prisoner, I thought that was a nice touch and adds a bit of humanity to a character that otherwise seems barely human.

I can't think of a weak performance from the whole bunch. Even Lea Seydoux kills it in her very limited screen time.

I saw it yesterday with my son.  We really enjoyed it.  I usually don't go to crowded movie theaters because I am very easily distracted by other movie goers and it ruins the experience.  It wasn't a problem in this case.

The only time I even knew there were other people in the theater was when Christopher Walken spoke a line.  There was audible laughter sprinkled throughout the theater.  I thought it was pretty unfortunate really, that one skit on SNL has made his very voice a punchline.  Anyone else notice that?

27 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

I saw it yesterday with my son.  We really enjoyed it.  I usually don't go to crowded movie theaters because I am very easily distracted by other movie goers and it ruins the experience.  It wasn't a problem in this case.

The only time I even knew there were other people in the theater was when Christopher Walken spoke a line.  There was audible laughter sprinkled throughout the theater.  I thought it was pretty unfortunate really, that one skit on SNL has made his very voice a punchline.  Anyone else notice that?

Saw it yesterday.  I'll admit the line from Joe Dirt popped into my head when the Emperor gave over his knife for the duel.......“Hey! You're talking to my guy all wrong. It's the wrong tone."

• Hook 'Em 2