2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

Despite what Donald Trump would say, the President can't waive a magic wand (or tariff) and make coal and US heavy manufacturing suddenly competitive.  The left didn't "turn their back" on blue collar workers, it's more that it's difficult to survive in this world economy taking an isolationist viewpoint.  

Hey stop directing people to the recruiting board. That thread has some of the smartest and best posters on surly, except for when it gets invaded by outsiders after something bad happens on the recruiting front. Stay out!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Hey stop directing people to the recruiting board. That thread has some of the smartest and best posters on surly, except for when it gets invaded by outsiders after something bad happens on the recruiting front. Stay out!

Between this and Sydney’s emphasis on my recruiting mention, I must have missed something. Place always seemed like a cluster from the mega threads and I only click on the individual player threads as a result.

42 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Take the meathead “fuck yous” to the football/recruiting board.

Why don't you go ahead and talk about Republicans/Democrats or IHOP/Kerbey Lane while you're at it.

Edited by Bevo14

52 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

u started on shaggy bevo as a LSU shitposter who almost got crowdsourced and then posted a bunch of pics in nsaa to get your rep up then disappeared for years before returning in 2016 as by far the most prolific CR poster. That has continued here. You really want us to believe you are just a concerned citizen?

Have you seen the forum I came from?  There are daily calls to execute liberals on that board, not to mention all the other awful racist and Qanon shit.  I’ve see posters advocate driving vehicles into crowds of peaceful protesters on that board.  I was a prolific poster there too but the site decided to suppress voices like mine so I came here, mostly because I was terrified of what I saw going on over there. To the posters/admin on that board, I am the crazy person that must be put down. 

45 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yes, I'm clearly the definition of a fucking meathead. Are you one of those posters than doesn't look at handles or avatars? You know, the dozen or so times we've interacted on the various local politics and voting threads positively?

Do you want to enlighten our friend Stassney then, please, and let him in on my brash attempt towards humor?

Stassney.   He's bad. He's brash.  He's all business all the time.

And he's either Ironman, Spiderman, or Deadpool I think....

12 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

this could go anywhere on this board but seemed appropriate here. dipshit young people fucking need to vote.

f4o0m5ho0vh51.jpg

If the party is telling young people to go fuck themselves why should those same people turn out to vote for them?  

• Fuck You 2

15 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

this could go anywhere on this board but seemed appropriate here. dipshit young people fucking need to vote.

f4o0m5ho0vh51.jpg

House/Senate leadership is always the elder statesmen and women. This isn't really new. And younger members of congress have always been pretty rare. 

As for president - it's not like we haven't had younger presidents recently. When elected, Clinton was 46, Obama 47, and Dubya was the geezer at 54. 

It's just a weird year (in so many ways).

12 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

If the party is telling young people to go fuck themselves why should those same people turn out to vote for them?  

No.

But they SHOULD turn out and vote AGAINST the party that is actively killing people, celebrates imprisoning children as a terrorist tactic, and the like.

Your house may be shitty, it may not have plumbing, and you may make me sleep on floor with no AC, and you may charge me $200 a night for the pleasure.....but I will 100% seek refuge inside that house when there's a dude outside who wants to fuck me up.  Sometimes, the situation is that dire.  And here we are.

26 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

f4o0m5ho0vh51.jpg

Ageism is often another prejudice to exploit when it suits people. Good ideas about governing do not know age.  Bernie Sanders is among the most popular politicians with young voters while the olds can’t stand him.  However, it is fair to say we have a problem with entrenched power, elderly leaders is byproduct of it. 

9 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Finally some polling on the 2016 non-voter (52-32 for Biden). This is the USC poll that had Trump winning in '16. 11 point lead for Biden.

What I take from that is 32% of people who didn't vote in 2016 are looking at our current situation and saying, "yeah, you know what?  Dotard has it all figured out!  Gotta make sure I vote this time!"

WTF

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bruh Man said:

This is the USC poll that had Trump winning in '16. 11 point lead for Biden.

This is one of my favorite polls because of the methodology.  The poll isn’t measuring public opinion as much as it’s measuring a population changing its mind, which I find extremely valuable in a run up to an election.

Most of the polls we get are done by a random sample of around 1000 people.  Those 1000 people are only used one time for that one poll. 

IIRC the USC poll takes a group of around 2000 and draws a random sample of 400 every day from the same pool of 2,000.  The USC poll had Trump leading nearly every day in 2016 b/c the sample had an inherent Trump lean that would be replicated every time they took the poll. 

So, assuming they’re using the same methodology, it doesn’t matter how much they show Biden up today, what matters is the movement of the poll over time b/c its measuring people changing their preferences.  

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

What I take from that is 32% of people who didn't vote in 2016 are looking at our current situation and saying, "yeah, you know what?  Dotard has it all figured out!  Gotta make sure I vote this time!"

WTF

Well I read somewhere that 30M white males with no-degree didn't vote in '16. Many on the right thought that race was a foregone conclusion as well so didn't bother voting.

2 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Well I read somewhere that 30M white males with no-degree didn't vote in '16. Many on the right thought that race was a foregone conclusion as well so didn't bother voting.

And this is why voter turnout is all that fucking matters in 2020.  Too bad the USPS is being systematically dismantled during a pandemic to suppress that turnout.  Gotta hope that ends up affecting Rs more than Ds.

72dab49f-90f8-4bbf-8458-baabf5816c61_tex

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This is one of my favorite polls because of the methodology.  The poll isn’t measuring public opinion as much as it’s measuring a population changing its mind, which I find extremely valuable in a run up to an election.

Most of the polls we get are done by a random sample of around 1000 people.  Those 1000 people are only used one time for that one poll. 

IIRC the USC poll takes a group of around 2000 and draws a random sample of 400 every day from the same pool of 2,000.  The USC poll had Trump leading nearly every day in 2016 b/c the sample had an inherent Trump lean that would be replicated every time they took the poll. 

So, assuming they’re using the same methodology, it doesn’t matter how much they show Biden up today, what matters is the movement of the poll over time b/c its measuring people changing their preferences.  

Looks like they made some tweaks to the methodology. Sample size is now 6,000. They'll be tracking their opinions over the next few months.

https://news.usc.edu/174625/usc-dornsife-launches-2020-election-tracking-poll-biden-leads-by-11-points/

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

And this is why voter turnout is all that fucking matters in 2020.  Too bad the USPS is being systematically dismantled during a pandemic to suppress that turnout.  Gotta hope that ends up affecting Rs more than Ds.

72dab49f-90f8-4bbf-8458-baabf5816c61_tex

Doubt it if NC is any indication. Dems have more than double the amount of absentee requests as Republicans in that state. 

1 minute ago, Bruh Man said:

Looks like they made some tweaks to the methodology. Sample size is now 6,000. They'll be tracking their opinions over the next few months.

https://news.usc.edu/174625/usc-dornsife-launches-2020-election-tracking-poll-biden-leads-by-11-points/

Looks like they’re doing it exactly the same with a larger pool to randomly sample 430 people.  The larger pool should cut down on MOE. 

How USC’s 2020 election poll is conducted

The poll, which is still growing as participants are recruited from the Understanding America Study, consists of about 6,000 eligible voters from across the country. Together, they comprise a representative sample of the U.S. population. Every day, roughly 430 of them are invited to answer four online questions in the Daybreak Poll. Each day just after midnight, researchers update the results, which are based on a week’s worth of responses.

2 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Here's a link to USC's 2016 data for those interested: http://election.usc.edu/2016/

The 2020 stuff will be posted here once they have all of it.

Looks like the 10/28 leaked Comey letter and the media circus around it may have had some consequential influence on voter preferences.  

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

No.

But they SHOULD turn out and vote AGAINST the party that is actively killing people, celebrates imprisoning children as a terrorist tactic, and the like.

Your house may be shitty, it may not have plumbing, and you may make me sleep on floor with no AC, and you may charge me $200 a night for the pleasure.....but I will 100% seek refuge inside that house when there's a dude outside who wants to fuck me up.  Sometimes, the situation is that dire.  And here we are.

Dude it’s best not to respond to Fozz and his regarded shit take drive by

• Hook 'Em 4

I wonder what percentage of people get their news from ABC, NBC, and CBS, as opposed to cable networks and the internet.  It could well be due to cord cutting and younger electorate.

Edit to add: I read the article, and I was right.  Internet viewership of the convention is way up.

Edited by lemonlime
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm 10000000% going to vote and I've not watched 1 second of the DNC live.  I've watched about 1 minute of the highlights.

yup same here.  I haven't watched shit but will be voting.  I don't need their convincing to know that douchecanoe needs to go.

22 hours ago, Mapache said:

If Trump is re-elected I'm pretty much done with this fucking country.

I can't imagine how Trump would be with another 4 years. He's already run off the so-called adults in the room, as in most of them left 2 years ago.  And imagine if he didn't have any election in his future? 

11 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Same. I'll probably watch Biden's speech tomorrow. 

Ditto.  

I also think the fact that it's not a fully in-person, spontaneous event -- but rather speeches recorded in people's homes, which for the love of God, we're all damned sick of -- has a significant effect.

Convention viewership doesn't give me much insight into anything relevant in this odd times layered onto wacky times.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

The numbers aren't down this year.  GR Horn's interpretation is (unsurprisingly) misleading.  The article is about convention viewership numbers on the big 3 traditional networks being down.  If you add in people watching online and on cable news, the numbers watching are up.  According to GR Horn's article, 47.5 M watched this year.   36.4 M watched last time.

hahaha, seriously, that was blatantly either 1) dishonest, or 2) extremely stupid

43 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

hahaha, seriously, that was blatantly either 1) dishonest, or 2) extremely stupid

How about 3) distracted by his 4 kids running around and scanned article before posting. 

In any case, the comparisons between the two will be available between both broadcast and digital. 

17 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

How about 3) distracted by his 4 kids running around and scanned article before posting. 

In any case, the comparisons between the two will be available between both broadcast and digital. 

Yes.  Comparisons of viewership.....involving an admin that loudly claimed to have the biggest inauguration crowd in history.....and a kajillion people at his Tulsa rally.

You'll forgive us if we don't believer a gotdamn thing coming from this admin or its fellating sycophants, 'kay?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Maybe you should follow sources who are more honest than Cernovich then, if you're going to rely on someone else's one sentence interpretation of an article.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, GRHorn said:

This will be interesting to follow for comparison sake vs RNC. Has to be considered a measure of enthusiasm right?

Well, I can't speak for the millions of other Americans out there, but here's the measure of my enthusiasm over time for the party not in charge of our national pandemic response...

Screen-Shot-2020-08-19-at-5-01-59-PM.png

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, GRHorn said:

This will be interesting to follow for comparison sake vs RNC. Has to be considered a measure of enthusiasm right?

Joe Biden could shoot somebody in the middle of 5th Avenue and I’m still voting for him

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

House/Senate leadership is always the elder statesmen and women. This isn't really new. And younger members of congress have always been pretty rare. 
As for president - it's not like we haven't had younger presidents recently. When elected, Clinton was 46, Obama 47, and Dubya was the geezer at 54. 

80s or late 70s isn't elder statesman/woman, it's at or above American life expectancy. Well past the cognitive peak.

Trump, Biden, McConnell, Pelosi... they're all one step above zombies. Not sure it's fair to call young people dipshits for pointing that out and being disappointed. Hopefully watching this shit show is a wake-up call and we look back at 2016-20 as the years where the current under 40s really assert themselves in politics.

All that said, still a no brainer to vote D right now.
  • Like 1

WTF
4 percent of Clinton voters too.