2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If trump doesn’t get well fast, you have to believe this will depress his turnout. 

I find it telling we haven't heard from him even already today.  If were truly asymptomatic, he'd give an interview or something telling us he feels fine, is working from home, quarantining, etc.  Meadows saying he had "mild symptoms" was interesting. 

In theory the members of the RNC would meet to nominate his replacement on the ballot, but that doesn’t abrogate the fact that votes are already being cast.  It would be a huge legal mess. 

Basically the way we elect presidents is stupid AF and needs to be completely overhauled. 

But it won’t be, because god forbid Wyoming not have a relative vote power 100x greater than California. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I recommend a Guild Navigator Tank.

9f7ccdb5a6ef3b80dabcfb60323098e1.jpg

Gonna need something stronger and more air tight, and not fictional.

spacer.png

For sleeping:

spacer.png

For health and fitness:

spacer.png

For those lonely nights on the campaign trail (needs modification, would work for Trump in present configuration)

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

In theory the members of the RNC would meet to nominate his replacement on the ballot, but that doesn’t abrogate the fact that votes are already being cast.  It would be a huge legal mess. 

Basically the way we elect presidents is stupid AF and needs to be completely overhauled. 

But it won’t be, because god forbid Wyoming not have a relative vote power 100x greater than California. 

Correct and agree on all counts.

2 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Here's a take discussed earlier but with the citation.

The constitution power for legislators to chose electors is generally understood among constitutional scholars to mean set the method for choosing, not actually selecting.  But that’s based on a 1930s Supreme Court case, and with today’s GOP 🤷‍♂️.

Growing up, my family was good friends with MO Gov. Mel Carnahan and his family.  In particular, Mel's wife Jean and my mother were pals.

Mel died in a small plane crash while campaigning for the US Senate.  It was 3 weeks before election day.  Mel stayed on the ballot and won the Senate seat over John Ashcroft.  His wife Jean accepted the seat in his honor and served for about two years before being defeated in a special election.

I think this would play out in a similar manner, although with Pence playing the role of Jean.  (LMAO)

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think this would play out in a similar manner, although with Pence playing the role of Jean.  (LMAO)

"I can fap to that..."   /GRhorn

7 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

He's not saying that it will, I think he mentions that later. He's saying that the GOP is going to throw everything they can at the wall if Trump loses.

If Trump loses, how does that help them? He lost. Who gives a fuck what the states that he won do at that point? 

2 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Apparently for people taking Adderall, a long QT interval is associated with about three times the risk of sudden cardiac death events. I guess we’ll see if Trump takes the HCQ and Zithromax

Adderall doesn't have a black box warning for nothing.

12 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

If Trump loses, how does that help them? He lost. Who gives a fuck what the states that he won do at that point? 

I'm obviously not a lawyer, but I thought it tied into the voter fraud allegations that the GOP seems to have adopted as their strategy. I'm DKing it, but Dorf on Law was saying that Trump thinking he could move it into the House etc was not going to happen, but I'm not as confident in the SCOTUS doing the right thing. Trump loses, contests it, and things will proceed. Or maybe it's all a fart in the wind and everything will work the way it's supposed to.

This is the article I was reading: http://www.dorfonlaw.org/2020/10/trumps-have-house-decide-election.html

Am I missing something? Too much of a novice? Explain it to me.

10 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I'm obviously not a lawyer, but I thought it tied into the voter fraud allegations that the GOP seems to have adopted as their strategy. I'm DKing it, but Dorf on Law was saying that Trump thinking he could move it into the House etc was not going to happen, but I'm not as confident in the SCOTUS doing the right thing. Trump loses, contests it, and things will proceed. Or maybe it's all a fart in the wind and everything will work the way it's supposed to.

This is the article I was reading: http://www.dorfonlaw.org/2020/10/trumps-have-house-decide-election.html

Am I missing something? Too much of a novice? Explain it to me.

Well, that article is talking about a mechanism to ignore the results of the election in states Biden wins. That would obviously be a huge problem. The twitter profile you quoted was discussing something different: if a state votes for Trump and Trump is incapacitated, then perhaps that state failed to make a choice at all. In that scenario, the state's legislature could appoint electors that would choose someone else. But, that doesn't help anything as the states that voted for Biden will still appoint electors that will vote for Biden. 

The only way this because an issue worth worrying about is if Republicans argue that since Trump was incapacitated, it means no choice at all, even for Biden, could be made. Which, you know, I guess they could do. But it is a ridiculous position that would be laughed out of even the current Supreme Court with Barrett on it.  

Well, that article is talking about a mechanism to ignore the results of the election in states Biden wins. That would obviously be a huge problem. The twitter profile you quoted was discussing something different: if a state votes for Trump and Trump is incapacitated, then perhaps that state failed to make a choice at all. In that scenario, the state's legislature could appoint electors that would choose someone else. But, that doesn't help anything as the states that voted for Biden will still appoint electors that will vote for Biden. 
The only way this because an issue worth worrying about is if Republicans argue that since Trump was incapacitated, it means no choice at all, even for Biden, could be made. Which, you know, I guess they could do. But it is a ridiculous position that would be laughed out of even the current Supreme Court with Barrett on it.  

It would be laughed out of even that court.

And if it isn’t, and a clear majority voted for Biden and they upend that, they have to know that they are inviting an actual civil war. That’s how you start a civil war - flat-out vetoing the stated will of the people. It would be suicidal. So, yeah....they might do it.

23 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Thank you for explaining that; it explained it so much more plainly. Perhaps it is the brevity of twitter that the tweeter (or I) assume that the point is clear and it isn't.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Meanwhile

Cool.  Want to subject your client to discovery, deposition, and sworn testimony regarding his decision to road trip up there with an AR?  When he has pending criminal charges against him?  This is a GREAT way to do that.  Dumbasses.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Cool.  Want to subject your client to discovery, deposition, and sworn testimony regarding his decision to road trip up there with an AR?  When he has pending criminal charges against him?  This is a GREAT way to do that.  Dumbasses.

And they’ll get discovery on his computer and phone and check his browser history. No telling what that will turn up. Here’s a hint - it won’t be good for Kyle. 

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Slightly off topic:  do budding attorneys take classes in composition while in law school?  That letter was a complete abortion, even if one ignores the typos.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Slightly off topic:  do budding attorneys take classes in composition while in law school?  That letter was a complete abortion, even if one ignores the typos.

At UT there are legal writing classes.  I assume there are classes at other schools as well.  But they have grades for a reason and not everyone who passes is an award winning writer.  See?  Here I am!

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

The amount of bad legal writing I have read -- starting with aspiring law students all the way up to 20 year practitioners -- is staggering.  For the most part, my practice has me dealing with relatively top-level legal talent.  They're pretty good.  But when you realize that we're looking at the top 10% or so.....and the remaining 90% is out there writing crap like that.  Yeah.  It's horrible.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

So what you're saying is...if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice? 

• Hook 'Em 2

What's crazy is that a lot of jobs you apply for in law school require you to submit a writing sample. I can't believe some of the legal writing I've come across over the years.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Growing up, my family was good friends with MO Gov. Mel Carnahan and his family.  In particular, Mel's wife Jean and my mother were pals.

Mel died in a small plane crash while campaigning for the US Senate.  It was 3 weeks before election day.  Mel stayed on the ballot and won the Senate seat over John Ashcroft.  His wife Jean accepted the seat in his honor and served for about two years before being defeated in a special election.

My recollection is that the governor of Missouri was a Democrat.  She campaign to have people vote for Mel.  Mel won posthumously   The Governor then appointed her as his replacement. It was more of a side agreement, than any official mechanism. 

The problem here is that nobody appoints a President.  There is a succession.  But I imagine Trump could win posthumously, and then Pence would succeed him.  But it would very weird, since Pence would get sworn in (to finish out the term), not win an election, and then get sworn in again, without ever winning an election.  

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Is Adderall prescribed to adults for just ADHD or something else (Alzheimer's, whatever)?

It's prescribed off label for adults for other crap, but it's only labeled for ADHD and Narcolepsy.  

Vyvanse, for example, is also labeled for Binge-eating Disorder.

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

All 538 EC votes don't have to be cast.  If Biden has 270 then it doesn't matter who the remaining votes are for.

6 minutes ago, Tuco said:

But I imagine Trump could win posthumously, and then Pence would succeed him.  But it would very weird, since Pence would get sworn in (to finish out the term), not win an election, and then get sworn in again, without ever winning an election.  

That's what I was thinking - the assumption is that a vote for Trump would actually be a vote for Pence in that scenario. Not sure that's what would happen.

And it would be extremely weird (but not for 2020 I guess) as he'd be campaigning for a very short time for people to vote for his dead boss so he could become president. 

I think my writing class was more about how to properly do citations and research than it was about composition. they did have a remedial composition class that you could take from the English department in the undergrad side if you wanted to.

• Like 1

Yeah picking a legal fight with a campaign that's raised > a quarter billion in Q3 while the Trump campaign is way too broke to support seems unwise. Unless you just want to be embarrassed and have your dirty laundry aired in ads in the Milwaukee market.

7 minutes ago, The Dog said:

That's what I was thinking - the assumption is that a vote for Trump would actually be a vote for Pence in that scenario. Not sure that's what would happen.

And it would be extremely weird (but not for 2020 I guess) as he'd be campaigning for a very short time for people to vote for his dead boss so he could become president. 

Well, Pence would be POTUS within hours of Trump's death.  I would think the replacement for Trump in the event he wins would have to be clarified for the voting public very soon or people would likely not be as enthused to turn out.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Horn Dog said:

DOTARD dying would be a bad outcome. He will be a martyr and all his crooked dealings will go away and never be fully investigated.  I want him to live long enough to see, and feel,  it all come crumbling down

XdY7.gif

Don't steal my happy.  Don't take away my dream of watching him feel every fucking blow as it all turns to ash all around him.

13 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

DOTARD dying would be a bad outcome. He will be a martyr and all his crooked dealings will go away and never be fully investigated.  I want him to live long enough to see, and feel,  it all come crumbling down

Absolutely agree.  And I would much prefer to never see Pence as a President, even if for a short while.  Our nation has suffered enough. 

13 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

DOTARD dying would be a bad outcome.

Debatable. Trump is a national security threat like we’ve never seen nor fully realize. He’s a weaponized ball of hate and stupidity. Yeah, his premature death would have negative consequences but perhaps no more than him staying alive only to go on undermining democracy every day. 

• Hook 'Em 2