Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

3 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

They gonna take away all the guns and remove every reference to God and Jesus.  That’ll show those kooks.

Liberals won't take away all the guns or they would be fighting their own party and any gains they've made.  There should be registrations for arms and certain types that aren't sold but actually taking them away will never happen.  Also, restricting the types of people that buy arms would be ideal--no domestic abusers or repeat felons.  Personally, I'm not a believer but have no problems with God and Jesus references as long as there's a strong separation of church and state.  The great thing Trump is showing is that every president's actions can be undone.  Let that sink in because that's the main thing I see coming from this.  And they will bitch and moan something fierce when their legislation is getting unraveled.  

Edited by Mdhorn

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

LOL. I've actually addressed this on the prior board.  In the short term I see regression to the mean. A quick rebound in relative competency. The secular trend, my friend? Well, doesn't take a bothsider to see where the ship is heading.  

That ship is filled with pairs of aging Tea Partiers and a smaller demographic of younger morons.  A substantial number will not be around by the time the flood waters recede.

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That ship is filled with pairs of aging Tea Partiers and a smaller demographic of younger morons.  A substantial number will not be around by the time the flood waters recede.

Right, just like the aging hippies and boomer generation were going to usher in a new political era.  Turns out they were the worst generation. I don't think that I would hang my hat on demographic shifts and millennials.  But we'll see. 

Edited by Anastasis

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Right, just like the aging hippies and boomer generation were going to usher in a new political era.  Turns out they were the worst generation. I don't think that I would hang my hat on demographic shifts and millennials.  But we'll see. 

You contradicted yourself in two sentences. Any well-crafted prophecy allows for any result to prove the soothsayer prescient. The Boomers did bring dramatic change with their maturity. Lasting and terrible. Look on what they hath wrought and despair.

4 minutes ago, softlynow said:

You contradicted yourself in two sentences. Any well-crafted prophecy allows for any result to prove the soothsayer prescient. The Boomers did bring dramatic change with their maturity. Lasting and terrible. Look on what they hath wrought and despair.

Well played. I should have added some rose colored nonsense after the new era bit. Or established that "new era" implied "a better era". 

My takeaway remains: It's all downhill from here and thats been our trajectory for some time now. 

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Well played. I should have added some rose colored nonsense after the new era bit. Or established that "new era" implied "a better era". 

My takeaway remains: It's all downhill from here and thats been our trajectory for some time now. 

Nah. This is just the 4th turning.

I do a fair amount of court-appointed work. Those clients are docile and compliant, in the main. We treat them like shit with our policies, and yet there they are eking out an existence and committing petty crimes or knocking up 3+ fatties without a care in the world beyond their next high or hard on. 

When those folks are getting organized, then we'll talk about something incredible happening.

We're just suffering through the growing pains of news and politics becoming a true 24 hr a day form of entertainment. CNN only started that fire. Twitter and Facebook made it truly a second-by-second affair. Who better to drive that business model than a man who can change stances within a syllable and lie about a lie about a lie before the first lie can even begin trending?

New things mature, and generations tire of things that once fascinated them. This, too, shall pass.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, softlynow said:

Nah. This is just the 4th turning.

I do a fair amount of court-appointed work. Those clients are docile and compliant, in the main. We treat them like shit with our policies, and yet there they are eking out an existence and committing petty crimes or knocking up 3+ fatties without a care in the world beyond their next high or hard on. 

When those folks are getting organized, then we'll talk about something incredible happening.

We're just suffering through the growing pains of news and politics becoming a true 24 hr a day form of entertainment. CNN only started that fire. Twitter and Facebook made it truly a second-by-second affair. Who better to drive that business model than a man who can change stances within a syllable and lie about a lie about a lie before the first lie can even begin trending?

New things mature, and generations tire of things that once fascinated them. This, too, shall pass.

OK.  Strauss and Howe say that the millennials will save us all, surpassing our grand parents contribution as the great generation. I won't hold my breath, but eager to see how that all plays out. 

Edited by Anastasis

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, when he boarded the plane, he DID say he was gonna go have some fun. And you gotta admit, visiting the scene of a mass child murder would be a big-time fun crusher.

And he gets the grieving families out of their routine for a nice drive to the airport. Fresh air. Waiting in a private room. Probably free cheese and cola. Everybody tired of winning at the end of the day. He cares, man. He really does.

10 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

And he gets the grieving families out of their routine for a nice drive to the airport. Fresh air. Waiting in a private room. Probably free cheese and cola. Everybody tired of winning at the end of the day. He cares, man. He really does.

The simple truth is those families could have ponied up 5k apiece if they wanted to tag along and hang with Trump.  He cares about money and if Santa Fe survivors want a visit, they'll damn well pay for one.  

Edited by Mdhorn

One of many times we should be glad that our grid (ERCOT) is entirely intrastate and thus largely beyond federal reach.

Downside: Trumpkins Abbott and Patrick will try to mimic their orange God.

In terms of physical interconnects this is true. ERCOT has little ability to import/export electricity. In regards to FERC oversight you are also correct. And FERC already sided against Trump on this.

But the Bloomberg article references this as a National Security Council memo in conjunction with DOE. This policy being couched in terms of National Security likely does have Federal reach into ERCOT.

All that said, this policy is definitely targeting coal and nuclear plants in the Midwest/Northeast.

Donald Trump has turned the GOP into the Party of Cultural Aggrievement.  They are obsessed with anything someone else does but are blind to anything on their side.  The GOP used to care about small government and free trade but now it's "Look what they said on The View!"

• Like 5

Toddlers everywhere should be outraged 

The meeting was not open to reporters, but Rhonda Hart, whose 14-year-old daughter was killed in the shooting, told the Associated Press about the content of the meeting.

Hart told the AP that the president “kept mentioning” the idea of arming teachers, and that he repeatedly referred to the suspected shooter and the trench coat he wore as “wacky.”

“Maybe if everyone had access to mental health care, we wouldn’t be in the situation,” she said she told the president.

Hart, who is an Army veteran, told the AP that she suggested employing veterans in schools to serve as guards, and that he responded, “and arm them?”

“It was like talking to a toddler,” she said.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 6

58 minutes ago, Lurch said:

He saw the employment numbers last night.

That tweet of his is a big deal.  He’s directly trying to influence the market via tweet prior to the report release and market opening.  The after hours algorithm trading probably already capitalized on Trump’s signaling.  It’s almost like insider trading and yet another example of Trump abusing his power.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz