Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

47 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

He’s the worst thing that could ever happen.

It might appear that way now but let’s see where the country is in 20 years.  I’m in the camp that Trump was a necessary evil that exposed our vulnerabilities and demonstrates how fragile our democracy really is.  If his movement doesn’t kill us we should only come out stronger.

Gust Avrakotos: There's a little boy and on his 14th birthday he gets a horse... and everybody in the village says, "how wonderful. The boy got a horse" And the Zen master says, "we'll see." Two years later, the boy falls off the horse, breaks his leg, and everyone in the village says, "How terrible." And the Zen master says, "We'll see." Then, a war breaks out and all the young men have to go off and fight... except the boy can't cause his legs all messed up. and everybody in the village says, "How wonderful." 

Charlie Wilson: Now the Zen master says, "We'll see."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vince_McCoy_Williams said:

The inflection point is when market confidence soared right after he was elected and every liberal network said we were in for a massive downswing because of the uncertainty of electing a demagogue. Then the markets went up after the inital drop and have continued that way for the most part since. GDP is currently through the roof. A stat Obama never got above 2%.

Do you just make shit up? Cite statistics backing up your bullshit. 

7 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Well, sure if you take out the 4 years it did after inheriting the worst economy since the great depression.

Shhh, don't burst his bubble.  Trump and his minions said Obama never got GPD growth rate above 2%, so it must be true.

Expect it first happened in Q4 2009, and dipped below 2% only 6 quarters afterwards.

Never mind that VMW thinks GDP is measured in %.  The jokes write themselves.

1 hour ago, Vince_McCoy_Williams said:

Brisket doesnt subscribe to Republican policies anymore. He is slightly pro gun but that is about it. The rest of his posting and high fiving with yall on every single thread tells me otherwise. 

I find it further amusing that you assume Brisket or anyone else who was once a GOP as wanting to align himself with you and your idea of what a GOP is. It's likely as vague now as your notion of what a liberal is. 

VMW is a moron that thinks the economy started doing well in January 2017 and also thinks that trump’s policies that have barely gone into effect are making this economy “boom”.  Yeah the economy is doing well for the rich, but the middle class continues to struggle. He touts these amazing tax cuts, but again, these mostly benefit the wealthy. The middle class tax cut? Oh sorry, you’re now paying more in gas. He’s against tariffs, but hey, if trump enacts them, well then they are ok. Oh wait, you’re saying these tariffs are going to hit red states the hardest and fuck over more middle class? Oops. 

Cue hilarious anti-lib meme!

• Like 1

I’m curious to hear what people think of this.  I think it’s an interesting possible measure of voter enthusiasm.  I’ve been of the opinion that Dems will outperform polls in midterms due to anti Trump fervor.  This is a contradicting data point though. 
https://www.forbes.com/sites/markjoyella/2018/05/30/fox-news-steamrolls-cable-news-competition-with-big-win-in-may-ratings/

CNN is not a Dem/liberal version of FoxNews. Even if it were, most liberals are not interested in a Dem version of FoxNews. 99% of the time, it’s fucking dogshit. I don’t huddle around the TV wanting to be spoon fed “news” for four hours a night. If there is something breaking - something that is happening too fast for in-depth reporting you can get from NYT or WaPo - I’ll flip on CNN. Outside of that, why the fuck would I watch it?
  • Like 2

Overall I think too much credit or blame for the strength of the economy is attributed to the President.  

But if you’re asking how can Trump get any credit, this is all just carryover from Obama, then I have to disagree somewhat. Regulatory rollback by and large takes some of the brakes off economic growth. If some of the people with more economic background disagree then I’m happy to hear it, but I have to think on the whole that it’s a net positive to economic activity.  

Another thing that is hard to quantify is the psychology involved.  People and businesses are more likely to hire and invest if they have reason to be optimistic about business conditions.  Perhaps the election of a business friendly President has raised people’s expectations for the economy?  Expectations can literally manifest themselves in economics (look at inflation). 

All in all the economy is pretty strong currently.  The best predictor for GDP is the Atlanta Fed GDP Now tracker.  It’s continuously adjusted as new data comes out.   It currently is calling for Q2 growth of 4.8%  If that holds, it’s a very impressive number going into midterms, especially considering it’s happening over a year into an interest rate hiking cycle.   That’s something Obama never dealt with.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I’m pretty sure Vince Mcoy Williams is in a corner some where licking his own pussy, waiting until his vapors drive him to post again.  

Licking his own pussy? I guess that would make him Stephanie Bannon. 

2 hours ago, GRHorn said:

I’m curious to hear what people think of this.  I think it’s an interesting possible measure of voter enthusiasm.  I’ve been of the opinion that Dems will outperform polls in midterms due to anti Trump fervor.  This is a contradicting data point though. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markjoyella/2018/05/30/fox-news-steamrolls-cable-news-competition-with-big-win-in-may-ratings/

I think it’s a very bad sign for Republicans. 

I think it means Trump supporters are scared shitless that Trump and/or those close to him are going down, and they are turning to Fox News to comfort them and tell them everything will be okay.  Fox News, Limbaugh, etc, thrive when the GOP is hurting - their followers are looking for reassuranc that everything is going to be okay  

I also think more than a few liberals are tuning in to see what Trump or those close to him are watching or saying. 

14 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I also think more than a few liberals are tuning in to see what Trump or those close to him are watching or saying. 

I never watched Fox News or listened to Limbaugh until Trump came along.  Now I will give them short looks in a "know your enemy" kind of way.  

2 minutes ago, Ten Bears said:

I never watched Fox News or listened to Limbaugh until Trump came along.  Now I will give them short looks in a "know your enemy" kind of way.  

I do the same. It reminds me of the time I went to a midnight yell in highschool with some aggie friends, just that "jesus christ these people are fucking whacky" feeling. 

8 minutes ago, Texas73 said:

Remember when Trump fired Flynn as soon as the justice department informed him that Flynn was a Russian asset?

Me either.

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Do you think he realizes that the Manafort investigation started after Manafort was out of the campaign? 

2 hours ago, Vince_McCoy_Williams said:

You are looking at one instance while I am looking at Brisket as a whole. He sides with liberals on the majority of issues and topics around here. His stances are hardly Republican and look more like that of a Democrat. He is either center-left or left. Take your pick. 

What you missed, although I'm not sure how, is that Republicans are no longer Republicans.   You are correct - the new Trump/Palin brand of fucked up GOP-ism is indeed not what many former self-described Republicans can stomach.     My form of Rockefeller Republicanism died quite a while ago, in the Reagan/Bush I era.    But Brisket's Republicanism was alive and well during the Bush II years, although struggling under Rove's machinations.   And then it was put on life support when Palin was nominated, finally dying with Trump. 

Short version:  the word "Republican" now means the type of hateful and stupid shit you now embrace.   Loads of former smart non-deplorable Republicans do not embrace it, and are going to fuck you up in November, now that the Hilary factor is absent.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

What you missed, although I'm not sure how, is that Republicans are no longer Republicans.   You are correct - the new Trump/Palin brand of fucked up GOP-ism is indeed not what many former self-described Republicans can stomach.     My form of Rockefeller Republicanism died quite a while ago, in the Reagan/Bush I era.    But Brisket's Republicanism was alive and well during the Bush II years, although struggling under Rove's machinations.   And then it was put on life support when Palin was nominated, finally dying with Trump. 

Short version:  the word "Republican" now means the type of hateful and stupid shit you now embrace.   Loads of former smart non-deplorable Republicans do not embrace it, and are going to fuck you up in November, now that the Hilary factor is absent.  

Not to mention a complete 180 on trade policy. Free trade was the old GOP brand. The new brand is protectionism.

... Short version:  the word "Republican" now means the type of hateful and stupid shit you now embrace.   Loads of former smart non-deplorable Republicans do not embrace it, and are going to fuck you up in November, now that the Hilary factor is absent.

Yeah if the Republicans go full Trump, I don’t think I’ll ever vote for a Republican candidate again, especially on a federal level.

7 minutes ago, YChang said:

Yeah if the Republicans go full Trump, I don’t think I’ll ever vote for a Republican candidate again, especially on a federal level.

The GOP has gone full Trump.  They enable him.  They fear him  

More importantly, by embracing Trump, the GOP is turning off younger voters from ever giving the GOP a chance in the first place, they are increasing voting interest among young voters, they are either pushing many women away or ruining their enthusiasm for the GOP, and they have pushed many moderates away in general. 

If Trump recognized this, he’d be losing his shit a lot more on Twitter.  Thankfully for him, he surrounds himself with adoring fans and doesn’t realize what the reality is. 

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

The GOP has gone full Trump.  They enable him.  They fear him  

More importantly, by embracing Trump, the GOP is turning off younger voters from ever giving the GOP a chance in the first place, they are increasing voting interest among young voters, they are either pushing many women away or ruining their enthusiasm for the GOP, and they have pushed many moderates away in general. 

If Trump recognized this, he’d be losing his shit a lot more on Twitter.  Thankfully for him, he surrounds himself with adoring fans and doesn’t realize what the reality is. 

I never tire of individuals regaling us about the imminent death of the GOP. 

I think he means if the Republicans stick to Trumpism instead of reverting back to their conservative roots.  
What will the Republican Party look like post Trump?
It will be a hard sell for me to vote Republican again. 

Yeah. That.

13 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

It’s not imminent. 

But educate the class on how turning your back on your former values, and driving up interest among the opposition (and youngsters) is a winning strategy.  Tell us why the President whining about the media not “getting” him or constantly whining about Hillary is a good thing. 

4 hours ago, Vince_McCoy_Williams said:

Subliminal, Brisket has been up liberal ass 24/7 and supports 90% of liberal policies. Dude isnt a Repub, he isnt even that moderate. To call him a Republican is laughable. 

Getting called out for not being a Republican is a compliment and badge of honor these days with all the stupidity, incompetence and treason manifesting within the GOP. 

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It’s not imminent. 

But educate the class on how turning your back on your former values, and driving up interest among the opposition (and youngsters) is a winning strategy.  Tell us why the President whining about the media not “getting” him or constantly whining about Hillary is a good thing. 

I’ve heard this same drivel for years and it never comes to fruition. 

12 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Rudy is on his don’t give a fuck tour. Well we lied and our story is still changing but we are in power and no one can stop us. Definitely not our own party. 

The signal they just gave was if you're an ally, it's fine to lie under oath because we'll pardon you.  

Edited by Mdhorn

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

The old GOP was run by greedy rich dudes who convinced bible thumping rubes that Jesus died on the cross to save us from the capital gains tax.  

The new GOP is run by those rubes, and they’re pissed at the Democrats for all the bullshit the GOP establishment pulled for decades.  

Put simply: our current predicament is the fault of the moron set, who voted for assholes for years and then thought the way to fix all the problems those assholes caused was to vote for an even bigger asshole.  

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Chrispy said:

The GOP is already dead. It happened right around the 2016  primaries when the other million Republican candidates were so pathetic that they lost to Trump. 

Growing up I at least respected the GOP and their policies, even if I didn't necessarily agree with them. Now it's just a bunch of disingenuous cowards that have abandoned America and bend the knee to Cheeto Targaryen.  

And before you go there, the Democratic Party is an absolute joke as well. But the vast majority are still trying to be decent human beings. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

The GOP is already dead. It happened right around the 2016  primaries when the other million Republican candidates were so pathetic that they lost to Trump. 

Growing up I at least respected the GOP and their policies, even if I didn't necessarily agree with them. Now it's just a bunch of disingenuous cowards that have abandoned America and bend the knee to Cheeto Targaryen.  

And before you go there, the Democratic Party is an absolute joke as well. But the vast majority are still trying to be decent human beings. 

Oh Hank, not you too. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

The old GOP was run by greedy rich dudes who convinced bible thumping rubes that Jesus died on the cross to save us from the capital gains tax.  

The new GOP is run by those rubes, and they’re pissed at the Democrats for all the bullshit the GOP establishment pulled for decades.  

Put simply: our current predicament is the fault of the moron set, who voted for assholes for years and then thought the way to fix all the problems those assholes caused was to vote for an even bigger asshole.  

There's a certain chunk of this country that conflates being an asshole with "telling it like it is" even if that asshole is a pathological liar. 

17 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Keep sucking on Donald's teat. I'm sure you won't look back on it in embarrassment. 

Thanks for the imagery, Hank. I suspect I’ll look back and feel many emotions, although I’d expect embarrassment to be pretty far down the list. 

30 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This is the first time the GOP has a President who whines and throws temper tantrums on Twitter like a 12 year-old. 

I’m afraid you’ve set yourself up for a lot of disappointment, good luck you. 

The sad thing is Democrats don’t have a simple bold unifying message to make people want to change what they already have. If any of them are running on impeaching Trump, it will only make the Reps come out and vote against them. 

I was watching Bill Maher last night and he asked Bernie Sanders what was the simple message the Dems can run on. Even Bernie struggled with making it simple. Reps have “fear messages” to get their base out. Dems go into free education, healthcare, all good. But doesn’t rally a group, IMO.

Edited by Brandywine
  • Like 1