Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

7 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Ha, right after our UN resolution condemning Hamas garnered one yes vote, from Nicki Haley. I think this might be the first time in UN history that a US resolution got zero yes votes from our allies. 

Also at the same time the China, EU, Canada and Mexico are all condemning us for our tariffs. This is probably the weakest we've been since prior to WW2 in regards to drumming up support from allies. 

33 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I guess I’m confused.  I don’t see how any of that has to do with Trump winning the election or him needing to be removed from office.  Collusion, as it were.  

My point was that all the hand wringing over if Trump could pardon himself or if this is the end of our Republic is extremely premature and very likely nonsense.  I offered to wager to make it interesting, no takers yet.  That’s ok.

It’s not premature if Trump is actively discussing it on Twitter. 

Honestly, between talk of him pardoning himself, and Rudy saying Trump could murder the head of the FBI and not be indicted, we need to be wondering what the hell has Trump and Rudy so spooked.  

Trump is acting more guilty than he ever has on Twitter, and Rudy hasn’t said anything this crazy since he said “I do” to his cousin back in the ‘60s. 

The good thing is that even our most basic and under educated civilians would fully understand the concept of self-pardon and they would be able to draw their own conclusions. It would be chaos in the streets and would probably hasten our terrible shitty president's exit from office.

2 hours ago, GRHorn said:

I mean if the crimes are so overwhelming, why won't he get the boot?  Y'all are on here all day talking about treason and RUSSIA ATTACKING THE US.  You and the pundits that are reporting and providing you info are overpromising and the investigation is gonna underdeliver. 

You ignore the single, pivotal, deciding factor: the GOP Senate MUST vote to convict.

When we know, with a stone-cold certainty, that the GOP Senate will never vote to convict, not ever, not for anything, that's the outcome.  Period.  The investigation could find that Trump and Vlad sacrifice children and eat their still-beating hearts, while Trump hands over the nuclear codes in exchange for blood diamonds, and the outcome would be the same.  "We are deeply concerned, but we cannot vote to convict."

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Exactly. If the president can pardon himself then he is above the law. No one is above the law. Sort of a founding principle of our democracy. The president is not a king. 

I still believe that Republicans in congress would vote to impeach if it got to the point where Trump pardoned himself. Because whatever crimes he was pardoning himself for would be egregious. Even treasonous.

Democracy would die on the day the president pardoned himself and if Republicans in Congress went along with it then that would mean they were giving up a lot of their power. Giving it over to the president. I don't think that's what most of them signed up for. 

It's not what they signed up for, but....

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

I doubt many of them originally signed up for a life in public service  to suck Trumps dick on a daily basis, but most of them adapted pretty quickly.

this.  They may not have signed up to be sycophantic dicksuckers who will sacrifice the entire republic on the altar of Trumpism, but here we are -- they are enthusiastic converts to the faith.

2 hours ago, lemonlime said:

Hell, why even spend the money to bribe them?  He could poison all the dems in congress, and then pardon himself for the murder.

You laugh, but this is actually the kind of outcome that the world described by Trump would allow.  Walk into the Senate, toss grenades to kill every Senator, then immediately pardon himself.   There wouldn't be a Senate around to even try and convict him.  And the next one that tries to convene?  Have his loyalists kill THEM, and then immediately pardon the loyalists.

If that is how the pardon power works, it isn't just a flaw, it's a fatal flaw.

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

Le Pétomane was on stage, too.  And he was more eloquent than this admin.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Naaah, my plan is simpler.

I have ammo.  I'll just take the Bakker fans' buckets from their cold, dead hands.

Fuck that.  I'm not eating that slop.  I could hunt squirrels if I had to and do better than gruel in a bucket.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You laugh, but this is actually the kind of outcome that the world described by Trump would allow.  Walk into the Senate, toss grenades to kill every Senator, then immediately pardon himself.   There wouldn't be a Senate around to even try and convict him.  And the next one that tries to convene?  Have his loyalists kill THEM, and then immediately pardon the loyalists.

I'm not laughing.  This is why Trump and his lawyers can't possibly be correct on him being able to pardon himself for anything.  They give a wink and a nod to making themselves sound reasonable, but what they're arguing for is a dictatorship.  Of course, when  a majority of Congress looks the other way on this plainly incorrect argument, then it doesn't matter, and Trump can and will do whatever the fuck he wants.

12 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Brisket makes me want to buy Jim Baker buckets

every time you post one of these, i watch it in a weird mix of humor and horror

haha, di he really say god spoke to him and that the buildings in LA will all fall down because it went democrat?

Edited by hayden_horn

2 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Fuck that.  I'm not eating that slop.  I could hunt squirrels if I had to and do better than gruel in a bucket.

Wait....I was told that the food in there was "restaurant quality."  They said so, multiple times.

Are you implying that Bakker....is dishonest?

Holy shit, I hadn't even considered that.

1 minute ago, lemonlime said:

I'm not laughing.  This is why Trump and his lawyers can't possibly be correct on him being able to pardon himself for anything.  They give a wink and a nod to making themselves sound reasonable, but what they're arguing for is a dictatorship.  Of course, when  a majority of Congress looks the other way on this plainly incorrect argument, then it doesn't matter, and Trump can and will do whatever the fuck he wants.

A dictatorship requires only one thing -- for the institutions of government to allow it to happen.  We have one failsafe.  One.  The Senate.  They have given every indication that they will not perform their failsafe function, because to do so would piss off the base, costing them their seats.  And that's how an angry, irrational minority dictates what the failsafe element of the government does, and that's how a Republic dies.  Like everything else, it happens two ways: slowly, then all at once.

18 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Is that an Onion video or are those people real? 

Favroite line from the video "My favorite thing about Trump, is he never tells a lie." 

President Donald J. Trump

500 DAYS: In his first 500 days in office, President Donald J. Trump has achieved results domestically and internationally for the American people. 

• Since taking office, President Trump has strengthened American leadership, security, prosperity, and accountability.
  • After 500 days, the results are clear: the American economy is stronger, American workers are experiencing more opportunities, confidence is soaring, and business is booming.
  • President Trump has re-asserted American leadership on the world stage, secured vital investments in our military, and stood up against threats to our national security.
  • President Trump has put the American people first and made government more accountable.
Holy shit balls that's the kind of fluff you'd expect to read from a flunky mid-level manager bucking for a promotion in his annual review. All it's missing is a "drove synergies in highly volatile market niche while maneuvering slippery slope of downtrending market segments through focused alignment entitlement thinking."
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Cruz is such a little bitch. Can’t believe he represents us Texans. 

I wasn't raised in Texas, but I always had this quasi-Hollywood impression of it being a state where men were men, etc.  I've lived here 33 years now and I don't think my impression was wrong.  Most Texas men tend to be somewhat stoic, a bit private, nice enough but not super outgoing, willing to do hard work.

And somehow Ted Cruz was elected Senator.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This tweet is from a reporter for the right wing weeklystandard. 

A man who argued nine cases before the SC doesn't have an opinion about that question?

Edited by retread

2 hours ago, Pods said:

It's still amazing to me that they can even say this shit with a straight face. 

But, don’t worry: he’s not above the law.  It’s just that Trump is completely immune from prosecution, and can commit any crime he wants with impunity.  

Ain’t Orwellianism fun?

9 minutes ago, retread said:

A man who argued nine cases before the SC doesn't have an opinion about that question?

he's got an opinion, he just cannot honestly say it because he thinks it endangers him politically to contradict trump. it is really that simple.

3 hours ago, GRHorn said:

I guess I’m confused.  I don’t see how any of that has to do with Trump winning the election or him needing to be removed from office.  Collusion, as it were.  

My point was that all the hand wringing over if Trump could pardon himself or if this is the end of our Republic is extremely premature and very likely nonsense.  I offered to wager to make it interesting, no takers yet.  That’s ok.

I believed beforehand that the invasion of Iraq was a terrible idea and disastrous policy. If I had bet that we would not invade Iraq, would that have made me wrong? Would it have made those predicting it would pay for itself and that we'd be greeted by showers of candy and flowers right?

What does a wager have to do with this discussion about Mueller's investigation or Trump's likely corruption? It's already interesting enough seeing the institutions of the republic being perversely undermined by the wicked and the timid.

5 minutes ago, retread said:

Editor, Harvard Law Review

2-time national champion, collegiate debate

Top 4 in world, collegiate debate

HS Valedectorian

Clerked for Chief Justice William Rehnquist

Associate AG, Department of Justice

Solicitor General, Texas

9 appearances before SCOTUS

US Senator

Can't really answer a question about the constitutionality of a Presidential self-pardon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GRHorn said:

I mean if the crimes are so overwhelming, why won't he get the boot?  Y'all are on here all day talking about treason and RUSSIA ATTACKING THE US.  You and the pundits that are reporting and providing you info are overpromising and the investigation is gonna underdeliver. 

If the crimes are as meaningless as you think they are, why is he and his attorney publicly debating whether or not he can pardon himself?  This is the behavior of a man who is aware that he's cornered and is trying to move the goalposts to the next spot for the sake of his supporters and those on the fence.

And he hasn't gotten the boot yet (and maybe won't depending on how future elections go) because the bootlicking Senate and House are more than happy to protect him.  Bill Clinton was 100% correct the other day in saying that if Trump were a Democrat, impeachment proceedings would have long been underway. 

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I wasn't raised in Texas, but I always had this quasi-Hollywood impression of it being a state where men were men, etc.  I've lived here 33 years now and I don't think my impression was wrong.  Most Texas men tend to be somewhat stoic, a bit private, nice enough but not super outgoing, willing to do hard work.

And somehow Ted Cruz was elected Senator.

You sound like a libtard who makes his bacon in a skillet.

• Like 1

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Cruz is among the most politically vulnerable among Republican Senators.

Going in opposition to Trump and his base could be catastrophic for him.  

I can guarantee you Cruz will have Trump campaigning for him by October.

Might not turn out well for him.