Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

Just now, lemonlime said:

LIES.  The word is "LIE."  Not "claims without evidence."

Seriously, people need to stop trying to say it nicely.  He's a fucking liar.  Our president lies about everything at all times.  Some of the media has started to use the L word, but many still say "untruths" or some other whitewashed fucking bullshit.  Call him what he is: a LIAR.

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Last week when Trump was blaming the democrats for the kid camps, one reporter straight up asked, “Why are you lying, sir?”

We need more of that.

I liked that. He asked the real question - why are you lying. But also showed respect for the office of POTUS by saying "sir."

18 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Seriously, people need to stop trying to say it nicely.  He's a fucking liar.  Our president lies about everything at all times.  Some of the media has started to use the L word, but many still say "untruths" or some other whitewashed fucking bullshit.  Call him what he is: a LIAR.

But I heard just the other day Trump has never told a lie, he just knows how to speak to his people. Red-nosed Bannon out front shoulda told ya!

1 hour ago, Skyline said:

but actually...

https://www.politico.eu/article/germany-crime-rate-lowest-since-1992/ 

Germany in 2017 had their lowest crime rate in since 1992. But Trump’s gotta dog whistle for the bigots. 

35 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

So, do you think Miller has his own password so he can use his own device, or is he in the shitter with the boss, dictating the content of the tweets? I think he likes the aroma, so he pulls up a stool next to flatulent Donny, grabs the Jitterbug and types it himself.

Not a single misspelling or random capitalization... racist dogwhistle...  yup Steven Miller wrote that.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’ve been saying Trump was a necessary evil needed to inspire real positive change.  Many people are going to get hurt in this process and it’s unfortunate that’s what it takes for our society to correct course but this is our reality.

It sucks and we suck.

This won't make the country better. This country has steadily gotten worse since 9/11 and is now raising a generation of anxiety riddled, depressed children who are weak because their parents are pussies who believe all the propaganda the government fills them up with. It doesn't get better once it hits this deep of a level it keeps spiraling downward. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JohnRedHorn said:

This won't make the country better. This country has steadily gotten worse since 9/11 and is now raising a generation of anxiety riddled, depressed children who are weak because their parents are pussies who believe all the propaganda the government fills them up with. It doesn't get better once it hits this deep of a level it keeps spiraling downward. 

The population is majority against Trumpism and it's not a growing movement. 

As our history has shown, in times of moral crisis, we bend towards liberty and justice.  

12 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The population is majority against Trumpism and it's not a growing movement. 

As our history has shown, in times of moral crisis, we bend towards liberty and justice.  

Yes if true the pendulum will swing the other way into another extremist who most likely won't be as stupid and illiterate as this one. That will also be bad for our country but just won't be as easily visible as this moron. The laziness of Americans will overlook it while we devolve deeper into extremist territory instead of working on what would make us better: compromise towards the middle. 

Edited by JohnRedHorn
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Wait I thought this family separation policy is Obama's policy, and is a strong way of stopping criminals from using children to get into the country.  So why are Dems weak and ineffective on Boarder Security and Crime when this is really Obama's policy? 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, JohnRedHorn said:

Yes if true the pendulum will swing the other way into another extremist who most likely won't be as stupid and illiterate as this one. That will also be bad for our country just won't be as easily visible as this moron and the laziness of Americans will overlook it while we devolve deeper into extremist territory instead of working on what would make us better: compromise towards the middle. 

The thing is, we don't really have a politically hard left in this country. 

Our whole population has moved right over the last 20 years (since 9/11).

Obama was about as hard left as it's going to get and he turned out to be a moderate. 

So when the pendulum swings I see it not as moving from right to left, but from crazy to normal. 

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

There is no middle.

7 minutes ago, JohnRedHorn said:

There's always a middle. You can start pushing so far away from it that you lose sight of it and never find it again but it's there. 

I think jimmy is more correct here.

But John is also not wrong -- as far as neutral ideas that people hold, there IS a middle.  But we've also seen that people are completely willing to abandon their ideas -- and even adopt completely opposite ideas in almost an instant -- if they are the new ideas of their "team."  Thus, the problem is that people here don't have allegiance to a philosophy or ideas or principles -- they have allegiance only to team.  And once THAT happens, well, then, (1) everything your team does is awesome, and you support it 100%, and (2) everything the other team does is awful, and you oppose it 100%.  What begins the thought is "what team did this?" and what ends it is "because it's associated with team X, I completely support/oppose it."  Full stop.  No further reasoning.

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

No, we have factions of the hard left with more mainstream influence now than we did in the 90s, too, and it’s only a matter of time until the left wing version of Trumpkins have their day.  Some combination of Bernie Bros, Occupy Wall Streeters, and social justice warriors will get a coalition together that outweighs the normal people just trying to make a living who aren’t fueled by grievances against the world.  

Not in any significant amount in terms of elected positions.

Just now, kevwun said:

He can't tweet in complete thoughts today.  It must be extra nasty in the White House this morning.  This may finally be his Waterloo.  The Southern Baptist announcement over the weekend is a big deal.

Was that a real thing?  The Southern Baptists, I mean.  I assumed there was some subtle reason why the announcement didn't actually mean what it seemed to. 

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Even though it’s been established so many times, I continue to be amazed at how Trump processes the world like an 8 year old.  And how so many other people do, too, apparently.

That's an insult to 8 year olds.  Seriously.  My 8 year old niece is far smarter, has a better vocabulary, knows what a lie is, whines less, and has far more basic decency and morality than Trump.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not in any significant amount in terms of elected positions.

Exactly, it would more difficult for a Bernie to consolidate power on the left like Trump did on the right. 

Trump (cough russia) fused the Tea Party, NRA, Evangelicals, and some libertarians to his base.  

The left doesn't have very identifiable rigid factions like that to target, plus they have learned from watching the mistakes of Trump with the right.

To be a democrat today means to stand against Trumpism, Russia, and defend the rule of law. Basically your typical Reagan Republican. 

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I don't have the first clue, but am wondering the same thing.  

Yes, it's a real thing.  The SBC elected a much more moderate leader who has pledged leadership positions roughly reflecting the group's demographics.  Prior conservative leaders have been shunned, the impetus hinging on (shock) sexual misconduct.

27 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

That’s true for all practical purposes of voting and party identification, but the ironic thing is that when it’s time to stop blustering and actually do something most people want the middle, risk-averse option that doesn’t change too much.  It’s like people think this is all entertainment or a game until it’s too late.

if people really want a middle and some logical actions from our government then they will need a new government. 

its one of those circular things that makes brains hurt. 

its easier being a hack and believing in whats in front of you (versus change)

Happy Monday surlists. no nuke Mondays are my fucking favorite. 

On 6/16/2018 at 8:56 PM, Hank Kingsley said:

I LOVE golf. If I had time, I would play 2-3 times a week. That said, I haven't picked up a golf club in about 9 months due to having a 1 year old. 

Of all the arguments regarding Trump vs. Obama, I wish the golf thing would go away. Yeah, Trump is a fucking horror and it's sickening how much he plays at his courses. But Obama played a FUCK TON of golf for a man in his position as well. 

Obama played a ton of golf durrrrrr, its ok if turmp plays golf too durrrr.

I would like to see the Democrats have a more organized communication campaign against Trump. For example, on the immigration issue, call out the MI-13 bs with some real statistics. Trump backers are eating up all this fear mongering. Counter it with facts. And I also liked how the reporter flat out called him a liar. The Dems need to call out every lie every time using facts. Sooner or later it might make a dent in this bullshit.

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I would like to see the Democrats have a more organized communication campaign against Trump. For example, on the immigration issue, call out the MI-13 bs with some real statistics. Trump backers are eating up all this fear mongering. Counter it with facts. And I also liked how the reporter flat out called him a liar. The Dems need to call out every lie every time using facts. Sooner or later it might make a dent in this bullshit.

No, Dem leadership needs to come out and call DOTUS a fucking liar and tell the American people they're being scammed, because apparently they can't figure that out themselves.

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I member this: https://thinkprogress.org/trump-ms-13-hysteria-exposed-long-island-8a6f5fe7989e/

More of this!!!

But roughly 45 minutes in to Wednesday’s roundtable event, the hyperbole of Trump’s fear-mongering was accidentally exposed by Suffolk County police commissioner Geraldine Hart, who noted that there hasn’t been an MS-13-linked homicide in Suffolk County in more than a year.

“Since September of 2016, the department’s multi-faceted approach has resulted in 355 arrests of 235 MS-13 gang members,” she said. “There has not been an MS-13 murder in Suffolk County since April of 2017.”

12 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

There'd be volumes and volumes if this were to happen

14 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Yeah, Hillary tried that.  Just go back and read some of her campaign speeches on Trump.  She called out everything.

The facts don’t matter anymore.   

Emotional appeal is the only thing that wins people over.

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Yeah, Hillary tried that.  Just go back and read some of her campaign speeches on Trump.  She called out everything.

The facts don’t matter anymore.   

Emotional appeal is the only thing that wins people over.

Thus....back to Brisket's point of fighting fire with fire.  The Dems need to use lies, subterfuge, and propaganda as well as (or better than) the GOP does.  These tactics are A-ok now, and indeed, they are the ONLY way to win elections.  Ignore that truth at your electoral peril.  Any party that tries to win an election based on facts, truth, and policy, is a dead man walking.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Thus....back to Brisket's point of fighting fire with fire.  The Dems need to use lies, subterfuge, and propaganda as well as (or better than) the GOP does.  These tactics are A-ok now, and indeed, they are the ONLY way to win elections.  Ignore that truth at your electoral peril.  Any party that tries to win an election based on facts, truth, and policy, is a dead man walking.

While this approach would be effective at getting democrats in office, it would be equally destructive on society.

They don’t have to propagate lies and falsehoods.  They need to tap into winning hearts and minds with sincere emotional rhetoric, the Obama demagoguery model if you will.

51 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I’m admittedly uninformed of anything other than that article in The Atlantic, but the conclusions of that article seemed like wishful thinking to a degree.   The substance seemed more like they just agreed on some younger people for leadership and said what they had to say to distance themselves from the scandal ridden monsters in the old leadership. Hopefully I am wrong.

That Atlantic article was mostly wishful thinking.  Pence spoke and there were still a bunch of preachers wearing MAGA hats.