Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

16 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

The Republican Party isn't a conservative party with a white-supremacist fringe; it's a white-supremacist party with a conservative fringe.

yeah, so i've been thinking on this, as we see the astronomical approval ratings for trump amongst republicans.

regarding the children issue, i think 66% of the nation was against it, but 58% of republicans supported it. this to me says that fewer people are identifying themselves as republicans. i cannot help but wonder if november will be an ice-cold splash of water for the republican party.

When Trump refers to the German crime rate increasing 10%+, what does he mean by “since migrants were allowed in”?

I ask because so far the fact checking here centers on the 2017 figures. I’m curious as to how the crime rate has changed during the time period he is referring to.

Of course, I assume that his 10%+ stat he claims is utter horse shit, just not sure by how much.

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't think the economic impact will be large enough soon enough to move that needle.  People aren't going to acknowledge the root cause of their 2019 Nissan Altima being $450 more than the 2018 model, mostly because they won't even know the price went up.  This is not to say that a shit ton of things aren't going to get somewhat more expensive, but half of that price increase is starting to be felt already because oil has gotten more expensive.  Plus, Trumpkins (= willful ignorance).

True enough, but if this escalates on the path it's currently headed, I think the impacts will be more substantial than that.

8 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

“Infest.” Racist shitbag. 

So now the president is comparing illegal immigrants to insects. 

And no he's not just talking about MS-13 or else he wouldn't just use the words "like MS-13" h'ed  just say MS-13 is "infesting" our country.

Full on racist demagogue now. Not trying to hide it at all.  

Just now, scottsins said:

When Trump refers to the German crime rate increasing 10%+, what does he mean by “since migrants were allowed in”?

I ask because so far the fact checking here centers on the 2017 figures. I’m curious as to how the crime rate has changed during the time period he is referring to.

Of course, I assume that his 10%+ stat he claims is utter horse shit, just not sure by how much.

He has no idea. Trump doesn't deal in fact.

He already started the myth that Germans are lying about crime stats and underreporting.

8 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

And no he's not just talking about MS-13 or else he wouldn't just use the words "like MS-13" h'ed  just say MS-13 is "infesting" our country.

Echoes of the Rwandan genocide.

For those of you who keep thinking "we aren't actually doing awful Nazi things like executing people," remember that what we are doing is in the context of the height of a long economic recovery/boom, with no major war, recent ideological terrorism, or other all-encompassing problem facing our citizens.   Our president and his supporters are tearing us apart and demonizing subclasses during good times.   Imagine if we are actually attacked and the economy collapses. 

While I still think America wouldn't start executing people, I don't think that is because of the kindness in Trump's heart or because the deplorables will stand against him — it's because of the same opposition to Trump that is warning right now about where this road could end.  But there is nothing inevitable about that.   Human nature is universal, and the core of our beings is no different than the "Good Germans.". We all have that same capacity to support great evil, and must be vigilant against it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mojo Hand said:

For those of you who keep thinking "we aren't actually doing awful Nazi things like executing people," remember that what we are doing is in the context of the height of a long economic recovery/boom, with no major war, recent ideological terrorism, or other all-encompassing problem facing our citizens.   Our president and his supporters are tearing us apart and demonizing subclasses during good times.   Imagine if we are actually attacked and the economy collapses. 

While I still think America wouldn't start executing people, I don't think that is because of the kindness in Trump's heart or because the deplorables will stand against him — it's because of the same opposition to Trump that is warning right now about where this road could end.  But there is nothing inevitable about that.   Human nature is universal, and the core of our beings is no different than the "Good Germans.". We all have that same capacity to support great evil, and must be vigilant against it. 

You should see how much liberals/democrats are dehumanized in Trump echo chambers.  Some would totally be on board with executing them. 

It's terrifying. 

11 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

The other thing about that is that there's nothing necessarily inevitable about hispanics being Democrats, aside from the way Republicans are treating them.  They're just regular people; some will be conservative and others liberal.   If anything, I'd imagine that immigrants from south of the border skew more religious than the US population, making them even more open to socially conservative views. 

I can't think of any other reason besides racism, or maybe anti-Catholic bias, why Republicans would be worried about more hispanics in the country.

1 hour ago, Mdhorn said:

You didn't even list 3 things to dislike about her and I doubt you could reasonably continue.  If the hits kept on coming, the Republicans wouldn't have had to manufacture bs.  Everybody believed the Iraq war--as the Republicans put it, you were un-American if you didn't.  America was a disturbed hornets nest that wanted to strike anything associated with 9-11 which is when our good pals the Republicans do what they do best and manufacture bs.  They pushed for a rushed vote to capitalize on the public's shock and anger which would have turned on each other if someone like Trump had been in power.  He would have mopped up during that time. I remember being fully on board until I actually collected my damn mind.  But none of this was held against the Republicans, only Hillary who did what most did and voted along with the current hive mind.   

Things I don't like about Hillary - in no particular order:

1.  Iraq War Vote.

2.  Cherry-Picked Senate seat

3.   Her attacks on her husbands #Metoo complainers as First Lady.

4.  "Vast right wing media conspiracy"

5.  Lincoln Bedroom pimpings.

6.  The taint of her husband's presidency generally

7.  Sense of entitlement to nomination in 2008.

8.  Gaming with DNC against Sanders in most recent election.

9.   I think she's pro Wall Street to a level that I am not comfortable

I've got more, but this isn't a Hillary thread.  I voted for her anyway because lesser of two people I don't like.   

IMHO, thinking it's sexist to not like her or not to vote for her is a huge part of the problem.  She was a flawed candidate.  The failure to recognize some of those flaws by the left is a huge reason we have a Trump Presidency.

24 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

What blows my mind is to think that this may all have been set in motion by one joke at the Correspondent's Dinner.  Obama doesn't make a joke and all of human history could be changed.  Thanks Obama.

Trump already had his marching orders from Moscow after Brexit.  The joke didn't matter.

2 minutes ago, deech said:

Things I don't like about Hillary - in no particular order:

1.  Iraq War Vote.

2.  Cherry-Picked Senate seat

3.   Her attacks on her husbands #Metoo complainers as First Lady.

4.  "Vast right wing media conspiracy"

5.  Lincoln Bedroom pimpings.

6.  The taint of her husband's presidency generally

7.  Sense of entitlement to nomination in 2008.

8.  Gaming with DNC against Sanders in most recent election.

9.   I think she's pro Wall Street to a level that I am not comfortable

I've got more, but this isn't a Hillary thread.  I voted for her anyway because lesser of two people I don't like.   

IMHO, thinking it's sexist to not like her or not to vote for her is a huge part of the problem.  She was a flawed candidate.  The failure to recognize some of those flaws by the left is a huge reason we have a Trump Presidency.

She was no more flawed than any other mainstream Presidential candidate in recent history save perhaps Obama.  The things you are pointing out are manifestations of the power mindset which is pervasive within national politics.  I remain unconvinced that the primary reason most people hate her isn't because she has a vagina.  Uppity bitches, you know.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

True enough, but if this escalates on the path it's currently headed, I think the impacts will be more substantial than that.

1. Trade war

2. US corporate profits down 

3. Corporate tax savings 

4.  Winning part 1

5. Job losses

6. Personal tax savings 

7.  Winning part 2

Remember those high tax bills under Obama?  Problem solved  

Edited by brown water

13 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

The other thing about that is that there's nothing necessarily inevitable about hispanics being Democrats, aside from the way Republicans are treating them.  They're just regular people; some will be conservative and others liberal.   If anything, I'd imagine that immigrants from south of the border skew more religious than the US population, making them even more open to socially conservative views. 

I can't think of any other reason besides racism, or maybe anti-Catholic bias, why Republicans would be worried about more hispanics in the country.

The 2012 GOP autopsy report basically was like "hey, these highly religious Hispanics are on the same page as us in a lot of issues, like abortion and social conservative policies, maybe we don't treat them like sub-human garbage and try to expand our outreach to minority communities" and the GOP base was like

IdenticalWeirdAndeancat-size_restricted.

Edited by Js1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

“Infest.” Racist shitbag. 

This is no-shit Nazi rhetoric.  We should feel free to say it--our president is a Nazi.  There's really no two ways about it.  The President of the United States is a Nazi.  Forget the media's reluctance to call him a liar.  Let's get comfortable with the fact that he is an unrepentant Nazi.

Oh, and by the way--do you know what that makes the Republican Party?

Edited by Ghost of LL
  • Like 1

Yeah it's a real shame George P Bush won't have that rat-faced, coattail rider at his fundraiser. I'll again state my hope that at a minimum if someone goes down for the Russia shit, it's Junior. 

Edited by mdmost

Watching Trump spew his bullshit right now to a small business association, and the audience is laughing and cheering him.   This is why he can do the things he does — his 90% support among Republicans.  If he was getting poor receptions at these things, he'd have to change. 

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

She was no more flawed than any other mainstream Presidential candidate in recent history save perhaps Obama.  The things you are pointing out are manifestations of the power mindset which is pervasive within national politics.  I remain unconvinced that the primary reason most people hate her isn't because she has a vagina.  Uppity bitches, you know.

People either want to keep justifying voting for Trump, or they're obsessed with Hillary. What people tend to ignore imo is that all the enthusiasm was going to be with the conservatives no matter who the Dems picked as their nominee. It was going to be an uphill climb.  People can discuss Hillary's candidacy all they want, but the criticisms fall flat when you consider her opponent. 

1 hour ago, scottsins said:

It's a shame the Obfuscator in Chief didn't show his work. Because there is no work. 

It works best for a liar to be vague and have others work backward from the lie to find whatever kernel of truth may be dug out of the overall horse turd of a lie. "See! There's truth in what he says. You just must look deeper."

Fuck that. He's a lying idiot with great instincts for conning those who want to believe. There is nothing but the lie. That's it. That's enough. A breakdown of Germany's crime stats is just a distraction from that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

If Trump wanted to drive minorities and women to the voting booth, he is doing an outstanding job. 

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

What blows my mind is to think that this may all have been set in motion by one joke at the Correspondent's Dinner.  Obama doesn't make a joke and all of human history could be changed.  Thanks Obama.

If I was George Soros, and I wanted to really damage the GOP over the long run, Donald J. Trump is the guy I’d secretly help elect. 

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

If Trump wanted to drive minorities and women to the voting booth, he is doing an outstanding job. 

And watch them use the numbers reflecting the surge of immigration as a justification to make it harder for minorities in general to vote. 

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

If I was George Soros, and I wanted to really damage the GOP over the long run, Donald J. Trump is the guy I’d secretly help elect. 

This. Donald Trump is destroying the Republican Party. He's the best thing to happen to Democrats in a long time. 

Watching Trump spew his bullshit right now to a small business association, and the audience is laughing and cheering him.   This is why he can do the things he does — his 90% support among Republicans.  If he was getting poor receptions at these things, he'd have to change. 
MS-13 members are attacking our children in the most painful possible way!!

12 minutes ago, Skyline said:

People either want to keep justifying voting for Trump, or they're obsessed with Hillary. What people tend to ignore imo is that all the enthusiasm was going to be with the conservatives no matter who the Dems picked as their nominee. It was going to be an uphill climb.  People can discuss Hillary's candidacy all they want, but the criticisms fall flat when you consider her opponent. 

Hillary was a bad candidate, for sure.  Trump is a complete piece of shit as a human being.  People that voted "but Hillary" have been desperately trying to make Hillary into a monster in their mind just so they can justify what they did and sleep at night.  This is why the "but Hillary" has not only stuck around a year and a half after the election, but has grown stronger.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Continental Op said:
19 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

MS-13 members are attacking our children in the most painful possible way!!

They're using knives!

And watch them use the numbers reflecting the surge of immigration as a justification to make it harder for minorities in general to vote. 

This. The people in charge who support caging children and at best display nazi tendencies don't care about the sanctity of elections or having a free and fair election in 2018 or in 2020.

3 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

This. The people in charge who support caging children and at best display nazi tendencies don't care about the sanctity of elections or having a free and fair election in 2018 or in 2020.

Yep--just wait until the Capitol burns for Congress to pass an Enabling Act.

2 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Hillary was a bad candidate, for sure.  Trump is a complete piece of shit as a human being.  People that voted "but Hillary" have been desperately trying to make Hillary into a monster in their mind just so they can justify what they did and sleep at night.  This is why the "but Hillary" has not only stuck around a year and a half after the election, but has grown stronger.

And everything since the election has proven your point about Trump to be correct. But the hardcore Trump supporters can't handle that, so they dig deeper in their Hillary obsession. Come 2020, they will still be talking about her and will transfer some of their criticisms over to whomever the next Dem nominee is. We can already see though that the enthusiasm gap is swinging towards the Dems having the lead and it will only get wider. 

• Like 1