Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

4 hours ago, Lagunamadre said:

Can you give me an example of a mainstream media outlet (obviously, not including Fox News) purposefully misleading people? With all this "fake news" talk out there, I rarely see reports that are wrong, and the few times they are, they are immediately corrected. 

Time magazine cover girl.  Vermont utility hacked by "Russian hackers". I don't have time to look up all the examples of media malfeasance, but besides the explicit examples there's the constant angles of what's reported or what's unsaid.  EVERY outlet has an angle.  I just try to look at all stories through that lens. 

Here's a more menial example. 

Wow.  This guy is my hero.  Trump doesn't have the balls to face his stern questioning.  Avoiding the question even.  This is how fascism starts guys.  What a strong member of the #Resistance in our trusted media.  Middle of the road CNN.  The stuff I watch in the airport. 

Man I wanna see some video of this. 

What a fucking joke.  But that first tweet got 13k retweets, 42k likes.  I wonder how many of you sheep retweeted his brave stand.  

Misleading. Grandstanding.  Attempting to further divide us.  For what?  Some fucking RTs and trying maintain his profile.  What a bitch. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

57 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Wow.  This guy is my hero.  Trump doesn't have the balls to face his stern questioning.  Avoiding the question even.  This is how fascism starts guys.  What a strong member of the #Resistance in our trusted media.  Middle of the road CNN.  The stuff I watch in the airport. 

What a fucking joke.  But that first tweet got 13k retweets, 42k likes.  I wonder how many of you sheep retweeted his brave stand.  

Misleading. Grandstanding.  Attempting to further divide us.  For what?  Some fucking RTs and trying maintain his profile.  What a bitch. 

So when someone builds an entire platform around dividing people, one should just shut the fuck up about it, lest you further divide people? 

You're cracked. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TornACL said:

So when someone builds an entire platform around dividing people, one should just shut the fuck up about it, lest you further divide people? 

You're cracked. 

You’re missing the point.  Guess you didn’t watch the video. He acted like Trump defiantly ignored him in some big standoff. He won’t answer to the media!  

This numbnuts was at the back of the room yelling it while people are clapping.  No way it could be heard. Pure signaling.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

57 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

You’re missing the point.  Guess you didn’t watch the video. He acted like Trump defiantly ignored him in some big standoff. He won’t answer to the media!  

This numbnuts was at the back of the room yelling it while people are clapping.  No way it could be heard. Pure signaling.  

Read Al Bundy’s post above. Read it and really understand it. That’s what your side does. The right dangerously distorts the facts. Time clarified the situation, but that isn’t int the same universe as what Fox News does. Not even close. 

1 hour ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

This seems a good example to show the difference between what conservatives call fake news and Fox News. Photographer takes picture of crying girl and mother stopped by Border Patrol, sees them loaded into van assuming they are to be separated. Turns out they weren't. Time acknowledges the error, as journalist organizations have done for as long as there's been journalism. It doesn't change the fact now accepted by virtually everyone that thousands of children were being separated from their parents. It's just that this wasn't one of them.

Same issue. Ann Coulter goes on America's #1 source for news and claims the kids being separated from their parents are actually child actors and implores the president not to be swayed by their dramatics. No evidence. No corroboration. No later acknowledgement that further investigation has uncovered zero reasons to believe these children were putting on an act. No retraction.

One is an error later clarified that does little to change the veracity of the larger story- that thousands of kids were being separated from their kids for misdemeanors or for seeking asylum.

The other is an intentional unacknowledged falsehood meant to supplant the true story- that these are crisis actors staging a scene that's not really happening.

https://thegrio.com/2018/06/23/time-magazine-forced-to-clarify-cover-of-crying-migrant-girl/

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/392774-ann-coulter-calls-immigrant-children-child-actors

Nobody on planet Earth thinks Ann Coulter is serious, impartial, or a journalist.  She’s a pundit, an activist.  That’s the difference.  Time portrays itself as a neutral arbiter of truth. No surprise they ran with something trying to make maximum impact.  And it wasn’t a minor detail. It was the signature image of the situation.  It’s like Twitter. The correction never gets the retweets the falsehoods do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Yet you are too big a bitch to call out people paid for by the public.  Sad!

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Incredible.   Some news guy says something and your pussy ass sits silent over every LIE  by the President 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Nobody on planet Earth thinks Ann Coulter is serious, impartial, or a journalist.  She’s a pundit, an activist.  That’s the difference.  Time portrays itself as a neutral arbiter of truth. No surprise they ran with something trying to make maximum impact.  And it wasn’t a minor detail. It was the signature image of the situation.  It’s like Twitter. The correction never gets the retweets the falsehoods do. 

So FOX providing a forum for known liars (Ollie North and Hannity just to name two more) doesn't reflect on the trustworthiness of FOX News? These liars are regular, celebrated figures on FOX.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

So FOX providing a forum for known liars (Ollie North and Hannity just to name two more) doesn't reflect on the trustworthiness of FOX News? These liars are regular, celebrated figures on FOX.

Of course not. He loves the media that agrees with him. Total fraud. 

17 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Ann Coulter is on a NEWS network dangerously lying about something so fucking psychotic and our resident trumpkin is trying to say that Jim Acosta grandstanding a bit is worse?? 

I swear it’s fucking bizarro world. Its traitorous and disgusting the things trumpkins accept and allow to happen to this country. Fuck them.  

• Like 1

This seems a good example to show the difference between what conservatives call fake news and Fox News. Photographer takes picture of crying girl and mother stopped by Border Patrol, sees them loaded into van assuming they are to be separated. Turns out they weren't. Time acknowledges the error, as journalist organizations have done for as long as there's been journalism. It doesn't change the fact now accepted by virtually everyone that thousands of children were being separated from their parents. It's just that this wasn't one of them.

Same issue. Ann Coulter goes on America's #1 source for news and claims the kids being separated from their parents are actually child actors and implores the president not to be swayed by their dramatics. No evidence. No corroboration. No later acknowledgement that further investigation has uncovered zero reasons to believe these children were putting on an act. No retraction.

One is an error later clarified that does little to change the veracity of the larger story- that thousands of kids were being separated from their kids for misdemeanors or for seeking asylum.

The other is an intentional unacknowledged falsehood meant to supplant the true story- that these are crisis actors staging a scene that's not really happening.

https://thegrio.com/2018/06/23/time-magazine-forced-to-clarify-cover-of-crying-migrant-girl/

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/392774-ann-coulter-calls-immigrant-children-child-actors

That’s how you fight the good fight.

Time (nor Fox News) can't be held responsible for posting the entirety of its content on a 3rd party platform like Twitter or for 3rd parties passing their content along, yet the 3rd party link I provided is just that. And yes, this publicly acknowledged mistake that gave the impression this child was about to be taken from her mom was relatively minor. The raising of the flag on Iwo Jima is iconic and it was staged. It doesn't mean we didn't capture the island nor does the crying girl pic mean thousands of kids weren't being taken from their parents.

Ann Coulter is a NYT best-selling author and regular contributor on America's #1 source for news, Fox News. Political punditry is opinions, insights, and commentary on current events. Events that happened. That's not what Coulter is doing. She's asserting these children are crisis actors, something that according to the best available info, didn't happen. She's conspiracy manufacturing based on a ham-fisted conflation and broadcasting it from America's #1 source for news.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Time portrays itself as a neutral arbiter of truth.

TIME is a media publication.  Its charter is not to solely report facts.  It does, has, and always will editorialize, just like almost every print media outlet in existence.  

Furthermore, the idea that a cover which was never intended to be taken as a literal snapshot in time is now suddenly castrated of all meaning because one iconic image used within was part of a greater story that was inaccurately reported is infuriating.  That girl never met Trump, never stood before him pleading, and he never cast his eyes down on her.  It was always fiction.  The girl was traumatized in a scenario she had no responsibility for, and the fact that she herself was not separated from her mother means nada in the context of the abstracted image and message.  Iconic images often take on context somewhat different from their origin.  The soldiers on Iwo Jima were staged for a better photo op.  The man being executed by pistol on a street in Viet Nam was actually Viet Cong, even if every idiot American just assumed he was one of the "good guys" being put to death by the "bad guys".

EDIT:  just noticed Al Bundy's later post.  What he said.

Edited by jimmyjazz

Every single move Dotus makes is scripted by the Kremlin. This is insane. I’m convinced he’s going to be removed from office and sent to jail. We will need to make a very clear signal to the rest of the world that we’ve killed off this cancer and are ready to re-assume our position as leader of the free world.

7 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Every single move Dotus makes is scripted by the Kremlin. This is insane. I’m convinced he’s going to be removed from office and sent to jail. We will need to make a very clear signal to the rest of the world that we’ve killed off this cancer and are ready to re-assume our position as leader of the free world.

I wish you were correct but unless Jaime Lannister is working in the White House, I just don’t see it.

It's hard to have true allies when you're unwilling to compromise and when your word means nothing.

Unfortunately, the orange pustule represents us, and any action that doesn't match his alternate reality is perceived as a slight. Just like the toddler that doesn't always get his way.

• Like 1

The Trump Foundation’s lawyer asked that trial not begin in October, as it was so close to the midterms. 

“Judge Scarpulla laughed in response, did not change the trial date, and hinted that she is likely to require the President to testify.” https://t.co/3b6j3fu8cN 

3 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

Wtf

Here’s a photo showing ICE having liberated some town in Rhode Island.  Taken by a millennial, so they of course had to use a B&W filter on the phone, but you still get the idea.  I don’t know if this was the liberation Trump witnessed.640px-American_troops_march_down_the_Cha

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I was just thinking about that. Things will never be the same. A new president and competent foreign policy will re-establish better relations with traditional allies, but I doubt we'll be restored as the assumed leader of the free world. Friendship is easier to restore than leadership.

The strong European countries, Canada and likely Australia will not want to return to their former status as valued friends and counsel to US leadership. We've (I hate having to say "we" with Trump in charge, but so it is) demonstrated levels of stupidity, needless hostility, unreliability, and total lack of moral bearing that it would be foolish for anyone to make themselves anything less than an absolute equal to the US.

They can all assert their superiority as international players in everything except raw power.  As much as the insecure adolescent likes to believe that power is all you need, use of raw power is never a winning a move to influence allies. Somebody needs to convince President Bonespurs. 

I don't see us ever being first among equals again. 

^^^
Correct. We are ceding our position of leadership and power in almost every respect, across the world and across the board. Our chair will not be waiting for us when we decide to come back.

Some can be recovered but right now we are on a path to the dollar losing its status as the world’s reserve currency. If that happens, bad news.
  • Like 1