Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

21 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

He's not even fucking good at it.  His conversation with Chuck and Nancy would have been mocked in a Negotiations 101 class.

It's obvious that his deal-making ability solely consists of entering the negotiation process from a more powerful position and bullying the other side.

I'm sure he got a deal done at some point where the other side's mental dialog was like, "Here, yes, take it.  Take it. Take it. Take it.  You can have this inconsequential thing if you will just go away...  Thank God!"

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Playing devil's advocate: did this really never happen before?  Or were other presidents a) smart enough not to take the bribes or b) smart enough to cover it up better?

I think the big answer to most this stuff is at this level pols surround themselves in lawyers that understand the relevant laws -- here, campaign finance laws.  The Trump Admin was wholly unknowing and unprepared for anything and wholly unwilling to admit it so that they could learn.

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Playing devil's advocate: did this really never happen before?  Or were other presidents a) smart enough not to take the bribes or b) smart enough to cover it up better?

I'm going to guess a little of both.... Most weren't as obviously brazen and greedy and also had a organizational infrastructure which allowed them to deal with these things in a better manner.  

43 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Strange how he picks and chooses which countries/world leaders he decides to hold their feet to the fire.   As an example, he could easily be tweeting that we are going to force MBS out unless the US receives some other concessions from Saudi Arabia.   Instead he embraces MBS without using the current leverage that he has.    It's almost as if some of these world leaders hold leverage over him....    China dropped the ball in not digging up dirt on Trump or offering him money.

Gotta take more than trademarks, I reckon:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/14/china-trump-trademarks-beijing

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/05/28/china-ivanka-trump-trademarks-610029

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/28/business/ivanka-trump-china-trademarks.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/06/ivanka-trump-gets-initial-approval-from-china-for-16-trademarks.html

Oh yeah, there was money coming in:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/05/is-china-straight-up-bribing-donald-trump-zte

Oh, that’s right—according to multiple news outlets, the president’s total about-face on China came just 72 hours after the developer of a theme park outside Jakarta, known as MNC Lido City, with whom the Trump Organization has an agreement to license its name, signed a deal to receive $500 million in Chinese government loans, in addition to another $500 million from government banks. According to Agence France-Presse, the Trump Organization will rake in almost $3.7 million in licensing and consulting payments from Lido, along with another project in Bali. The company will also earn management fees, and be “eligible for additional unspecified incentives.”

Maybe what the Saudis and Putin have done is far, far more than the Chinese have offered so far.

1 minute ago, woohorn said:

Is Jared somehow exempt from post-Kennedy anti-nepotism rules because he is an in-law?

No, I think it's just that this administration and the GOP Senate don't care about the rules...or laws...or the Constitution..or really anything aside from grifting.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I think the big answer to most this stuff is at this level pols surround themselves in lawyers that understand the relevant laws -- here, campaign finance laws.  The Trump Admin was wholly unknowing and unprepared for anything and wholly unwilling to admit it so that they could learn.

Veep touched on this subject when Selina was spitballing ideas to get money and Richard sheepishly kept pointing out the illegality of the ideas. Sadly, that was a comedy show on HBO and this is real life.

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I have to think that Trump would want to avoid placing a family member in the CoS role because its not as easy to fire them.  When that occurs it creates other issues.   If you place Kushner in that role, removing him later will effectively remove Ivanka from the WH as well.  

Or he could just unilaterally promote Kush to Veep. 

Trump should get Dan Bognito or Dan Bon Bonjoni or Don Bongrito or whatever to be CoS.  A fresh look would be to have Bon Dognita or whatever to not wear a suit but just tight t-shirts and dark shades.  

DcZVWqwVAAEXEuq.jpg

Dave Bagnetty would be a perfect splash hire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Trump should get Dan Bognito or Dan Bon Bonjoni or Don Bongrito or whatever to be CoS.  A fresh look would be to have Bon Dognita or whatever to not wear a suit but just tight t-shirts and dark shades.  

DcZVWqwVAAEXEuq.jpg

Dave Bagnetty would be a perfect splash hire.

I’m literally in tears right now.  

Also, his torso looks like Homer Simpson suffocating under a black trash bag.

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I've lived in Texas for close to 50 years and never heard of PINS.  What is it?

There are two ways to get there. By boat. Or by road through Corpus Christi. You can drive South all the way down to the jetties of Port Mansfield. It is about as remote as you can get. Really cool experience. We used there and shark fish and do donuts in our pickups in high school.  

8 minutes ago, Yuk said:

From the article:

How the inaugural committee managed to spend all the money it raised remains a mystery, nearly two years after the event. While groups that support political candidates or issues must publicly detail their spending, an inaugural committee is required to list only its top five contractors. That leaves about $40 million unaccounted for.

Greg Jenkins, who led George W. Bush’s second inauguration, was perplexed by the Trump team’s mammoth fundraising haul. “They had a third of the staff and a quarter of the events and they raise at least twice as much as we did,” Jenkins told WNYC and ProPublica this year. “So there’s the obvious question: Where did it go? I don’t know.”

Around the middle of the month, with Inauguration Day scarcely a month away, Ivanka Trump was asked to help resolve a dispute between inaugural planners and her family’s Washington hotel, according to emails.

The problem: Organizers thought the hotel was charging too much money.

Emails show that Ivanka Trump connected Gates with Mickael Damelincourt, managing director of the hotel. Damelincourt responded with a new rate of $175,000 per day for use of the Presidential Ballroom and meeting rooms, offering a $700,000 charge for four days of use.

It is not clear what the earlier price was, but Damelincourt’s revised rate did not satisfy one of the lead organizers of the inauguration, Stephanie Winston Wolkoff.

Some vendors for the inauguration became concerned when Gates, a top inaugural committee official, asked them to take payments outside of the normal committee invoicing process, according to two people with knowledge of what happened. He proposed that they be paid for their work directly from a would-be donor rather than by the committee. Gates told the vendors that the inaugural committee had received pledges of more money than was initially targeted, and, therefore, he wished to reduce the publicly reported sum raised.

40 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

There are two ways to get there. By boat. Or by road through Corpus Christi. You can drive South all the way down to the jetties of Port Mansfield. It is about as remote as you can get. Really cool experience. We used there and shark fish and do donuts in our pickups in high school.  

Yep, camped there and surf fished with buddies a lot when I still lived in Texas.  Even had one epic 5 day probably illegal kayak camping jaunt on the inshore side.  One of the few places in the state where you can truly get away from it all.

11 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

If there was ever anything clear about this administration, it's that the Trumps were going to be making money by directing business to Trump properties.

Seriously -- no, actually, COMICALLY this.  It was never a question, and was as obvious as the rising sun.

6 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

So, this is hilarious.

a94ba7e4863e2029b417af65c354b238.jpg

And how have we never discussed the results of her “kidney procedure”?

f22ee0a13fc116034a952e07b48dfe46.jpg

Our tax dollars at work!

Oh, like YOU know where the kidneys are, DOCTOR Bama Chick?  Yeah, I thought not.