Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

This is a really interesting article by the New York Times on the impact of robots in flyover country. In a nutshell, one robot takes the job of six workers ----- machinists, welders etc.... ------- and there are more robots already in flyover country per capita than in the rest of the nation.  Trump's 1.5 trillion dollar tax cut has increased incentives to replace workers with robots, contradicting his campaign promise to restore well-paying manufacturing jobs in the Midwest. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/13/opinion/robots-trump-country-jobs.html?ribbon-ad-idx=5&rref=opinion&module=Ribbon&version=context&region=Header&action=click&contentCollection=Opinion&pgtype=article

Upshot: many of those who voted for Trump last time around will NOT be voting for him or any Republican this time around. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

This is a really interesting article by the New York Times on the impact of robots in flyover country. In a nutshell, one robot takes the job of six workers ----- machinists, welders etc.... ------- and there are more robots already in flyover country per capita than in the rest of the nation.  Trump's 1.5 trillion dollar tax cut has increased incentives to replace workers with robots, contradicting his campaign promise to restore well-paying manufacturing jobs in the Midwest. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/13/opinion/robots-trump-country-jobs.html?ribbon-ad-idx=5&rref=opinion&module=Ribbon&version=context&region=Header&action=click&contentCollection=Opinion&pgtype=article

Upshot: many of those who voted for Trump last time around will NOT be voting for him or any Republican this time around. 

Right.  But the olds have Old Glory Robot insurance so they ok.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Here's one way to frame just how mind-boggling it is that Trump's base routinely dismisses any and all of these situations in which Trump & Co are clearly dipping into funds that were earmarked for legitimate use:

Imagine a small town in, oh, BumFuck Kentucky, where the HS band is really good.  They get invited to nationals in Indianapolis.  It's not a long drive, but they need busses, hotels, meals, etc.  They raise money by washing cars, selling candy, etc.  Everybody is pumped.  $18K raised, enough to get them to Nationals and back.

And then they find out the Band Booster Club treasurer pocketed over $1K of those funds to buy new tires for her husband's F150.

How many of those good citizens of Bumfuck Kentucky would be likely to say "eh, she talks like we do" and ignore the embezzlement?

Now escalate the argument to the Trump WH and see where we land.

Is the F150 a King Ranch Edition?  Because I'd be inclined to excuse it on account of those bad boys deserve bad boy wheels.  You don't want to be putting no bottom feeding Kumhos on there. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I was with you until the last part.

Just now, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

The Dems were 87k votes in three midwestern states from having Hillary become President. You don't think robot unemployment caused by the President's tax policy isn't a drag on the Republicans?

I think that for about 40% of the country if Trump jacked a load in their face, they'd say they had it coming and pat him on the back.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

And they eat old people’s medicine for fuel!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Is the F150 a King Ranch Edition?  Because I'd be inclined to excuse it on account of those bad boys deserve bad boy wheels.  You don't want to be putting no bottom feeding Kumhos on there. 

Bottom feeders though they may be, I got 100,000+ miles out of a set of Kumhos

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Here's one way to frame just how mind-boggling it is that Trump's base routinely dismisses any and all of these situations in which Trump & Co are clearly dipping into funds that were earmarked for legitimate use:

Imagine a small town in, oh, BumFuck Kentucky, where the HS band is really good.  They get invited to nationals in Indianapolis.  It's not a long drive, but they need busses, hotels, meals, etc.  They raise money by washing cars, selling candy, etc.  Everybody is pumped.  $18K raised, enough to get them to Nationals and back.

And then they find out the Band Booster Club treasurer pocketed over $1K of those funds to buy new tires for her husband's F150.

How many of those good citizens of BumFuck Kentucky would be likely to say "eh, she talks like we do" and ignore the embezzlement?

Now escalate the argument to the Trump WH and see where we land.

Cognitive dissonance occurs when there is a conflict between personal held values and reality. One method used to reduce dissonance is to change one's behavior that conflicts with one's values.

For instance, I believe bullying is wrong, my friends are bullies so I will confront my friends for bullying and possibly disassociate myself from them if they don't stop. Or one could deny their friends are bullies and just write it off as the "victims" are just snowflakes and not actual victims of bullying, internal conflict resolved without any real effort.

The Trumpkins just interpret Trump's grift as justifiable or flat out ignore it to avoid any internal conflicts. This also allows them to remain a moral absolutist.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

The Dems were 87k votes in three midwestern states from having Hillary become President. You don't think robot unemployment caused by the President's tax policy isn't a drag on the Republicans?

The Dems flipped those three midwestern states last month. Well, if you count PA in there. 

23 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Yeah but who are the robots going to vote for?

40 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Gary Johnson voters would just claim Hillary would have had 3 times the robots, they would all be Russian made and something, something, emails.

Spent the week in NY. Ran into high level executives who still support Trump. It’s unbelievable. The excuses:

1. Everybody lies.
2. The media is investigating everything he does, way more than past presidents.
3. A real admiral that works for him says he’s a nice guy.
4. He gets things done. Seriously?
5. He treats everything like a business decision.

These people are truly morons.

52 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Wait, I thought the Mexicans, who are somehow both really lazy, and stealing our jobs, were the problem?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Of the college educated people that still approve DJT, I want to know what percent read his tweets.  It seems like it would be virtually impossible to read this stuff and think anything positive about him.  That he's smart, or honest, or a clear communicator, or focused on the right things.  Seems like you would have to wholly insulate yourself from learning anything about him in order to still support him.

They don't care about any of that. All they care about is that he opposes minorities and they hate minorities.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

None.  Of.  this.  Matters.  Senate will do nothing until Mueller shows actual conspiracy between dotus and Russians.  If then.  Full stop.  Campaign finance?  Lol.

I have thought that, too.  This week has me rethinking things.

I don't think it's the corruption that changes any Senate votes.  It's the likelihood that Trump fucks up their reelection prospects.  And for evidence of that, all they need is to watch that Oval Office meeting with Pelosi and Schumer.  The Republicans could deal with an incompetent president fucking up their messaging when they had both houses of Congress.  But now that Democrats control the House, it's going to be really dangerous for their reelection campaigns.

The Khashoggi vote today just confirms to me the fact that a lot of GOP senators are getting very nervous about the prospect of having Trump at the top of their ticket in 2020.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

This is getting hilarious...... About that inauguration which pictures were doctored????

From Feb. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/15/trump-inaugural-committee-paid-26-million-to-friend-of-melania-trump.html

The committee responsible for organizing President Donald Trump’s inaugural events paid a friend of first lady Melania Trump$26 million, part of more than $90 million the group spent on the festivities, according to a tax form filed to the IRS earlier this month and released Thursday.

Stephanie Winston Wolkoff, a New York society events planner, also serves as a senior advisor to the first lady, although she is not paid for her White House work. The inaugural committee reported paying $26 million to WIS Media Partners, a limited liability company that Wolkoff set up in late 2016.

$26 million

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/04/10/politics/trump-university-settlement-finalized-trnd/index.html

A judge has finalized a $25 million dollar settlement in the Trump University class action lawsuit, paving the way for thousands of former students at the now-defunct real estate seminar to get some of their money back.

$25 million

Filter money for a $1 million charge

Edited by SmokeyTheBear
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I have thought that, too.  This week has me rethinking things.

I don't think it's the corruption that changes any Senate votes.  It's the likelihood that Trump fucks up their reelection prospects.  And for evidence of that, all they need is to watch that Oval Office meeting with Pelosi and Schumer.  The Republicans could deal with an incompetent president fucking up their messaging when they had both houses of Congress.  But now that Democrats control the House, it's going to be really dangerous for their reelection campaigns.

The Khashoggi vote today just confirms to me the fact that a lot of GOP senators are getting very nervous about the prospect of having Trump at the top of their ticket in 2020.

It's always been about the GOP looking out for #1.... just don't step in #2.  It's not about them finding a back bone or principles against his corruption.  Most of them are cowardly sycophants, who simply want power and dirty money.  It's always been when Trump turns into enough of a political liability he has to be cut loose.  The GOP doesn't care about Trumpkins (or most Americans for that matter), as long as they won't get primary'd.  They will use Trump to fill their coffers, stack the courts, and try to destroy the foundations of any logical regulation in hopes it takes the other side, who fall over their dicks all the time, more time to piece together their multiple identity groups to undo all the shitastic things this moron has done. 

By then, the GOP will have hoped to rebranded themselves and distanced themselves from Trump to wrestle control back from extremist progressive Democrats who are more worried about people's feelings than making sound political decisions  It's been posited by a few ex-GOP'ers or current ones that Trump will be thrown overboard when it's convenient and they'll punt 2020 and hope the Democrats fuck up a probable financial recovery enough to start seizing back control in the mid-terms in 4 years.  By 2024 they probably hope to gain control of one house of the legislature and put up a strong fight vs the incumbent.  Deal with the devil.....

28 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

From Feb. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/15/trump-inaugural-committee-paid-26-million-to-friend-of-melania-trump.html

The committee responsible for organizing President Donald Trump’s inaugural events paid a friend of first lady Melania Trump$26 million, part of more than $90 million the group spent on the festivities, according to a tax form filed to the IRS earlier this month and released Thursday.

Stephanie Winston Wolkoff, a New York society events planner, also serves as a senior advisor to the first lady, although she is not paid for her White House work. The inaugural committee reported paying $26 million to WIS Media Partners, a limited liability company that Wolkoff set up in late 2016.

$26 million

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/04/10/politics/trump-university-settlement-finalized-trnd/index.html

A judge has finalized a $25 million dollar settlement in the Trump University class action lawsuit, paving the way for thousands of former students at the now-defunct real estate seminar to get some of their money back.

$25 million

Damn, if this is connected....well, I don't know what.  This seems like it would be a massive form of good old fashioned embezzlement. 

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

By then, the GOP will have hoped to rebranded themselves and distanced themselves from Trump to wrestle control back from extremist progressive Democrats who are more worried about people's feelings than making sound political decisions  It's been posited by a few ex-GOP'ers or current ones that Trump will be thrown overboard when it's convenient and they'll punt 2020 and hope the Democrats fuck up a probable financial recovery enough to start seizing back control in the mid-terms in 4 years.  By 2024 they probably hope to gain control of one house of the legislature and put up a strong fight vs the incumbent.  Deal with the devil.....

That has to be their plan for now.  But the question is rapidly becoming: "can we get to 2020 with this guy?".

51 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

$26 million

$25 million

It can't be that nice and tidy.

It just can't.  These are the Best People™.

22 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

It can't be that nice and tidy.

It just can't.  These are the Best People™.

I actually think most people (including the so called “libs” on this board) are severely underestimating the amount of criminal behavior Trump and his clan are, and have been, capable of. 

• Like 2

Just now, JimmyJames said:

I actually think most people (including the so called “libs” on this board) are severely underestimating the amount of criminal behavior Trump and his clan are, and have been, capable of. 

Oh, I'm not underestimating everything. I knew they were probably capable of most anything. If this is what happened (and it's plausible as hell) I would have assumed they would have laundered it better than they did.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/federal-court-approves-25-million-trump-university-settlement-n845181

Trump paid the $25 million in January of last year, but it was held in escrow until the court upheld the settlement, according to The Associated Press.

The article is from Feb 2018.  The reference would mean he paid the $25 million in January 2017.

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Spent the week in NY. Ran into high level executives who still support Trump. It’s unbelievable. The excuses:

1. Everybody lies.
2. The media is investigating everything he does, way more than past presidents.

6. He gets them tax cuts.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

1. Everybody lies.

This is the one that really puzzles me. Compared to other presidents, he's done nothing. He is completely ineffectual.

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

This is the one that really puzzles me. Compared to other presidents, he's done nothing. He is completely ineffectual.

tax cuts

deregulation

lack of enforcement of whatever regs and taxes are left

Gorsuch, who will rule with the moneyed every single time.

• Like 1