Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

2 hours ago, Knighthawk said:

Say I had a $1,000 burning a hole in my pocket and I donated to BLM today.   Does anyone know how BLM would spend it?  I’m not talking in theory here ... where would that money go today?   

It goes to a fund that donates to a variety of progressive causes.  So they can't tell you where its going.

1 hour ago, Nope said:

Probably goes beyond the black jerseys too. Just a hunch, but everywhere I saw people saying that contributing to BLM specifically would be too political and too polarizing a thing to do. But then Tenn just goes and does it.

I don't think it's legal.

13 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

Instead of donating to an amalgamation of groups under the politically divisive BLM umbrella, with that kind of money why not start a new - communities of Texas centric - foundation? Giving back through housing, infrastructure, mentoring, scholarship and celebration for African American communities. And if a national blue chip commits, it can be extended to the community that he wishes.

Or even better use the money to establish the preeminent police deescalation training program, where officers from poor and all communities would be honored at the opportunity to attend.

An extra offer, match every scholarship given to an African American athlete for another non athlete, maybe even surprise the recipients on campus.

I don't know, fuck it. I'm retarded

None of that has anything to do with the university's purpose.  The university should not be spending its money on that sort of thing.

Now if they want that money to recruit and support African American students or for research programs to help in those issues, that is totally different.  That falls within the purpose of the university.

Why should the University of Texas be donating to some town in Florida?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bullet said:

None of that has anything to do with the university's purpose.  The university should not be spending its money on that sort of thing.

Now if they want that money to recruit and support African American students or for research programs to help in those issues, that is totally different.  That falls within the purpose of the university.

Why should the University of Texas be donating to some town in Florida?

It's from athletic revenues, and because we want to win.

10 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

It is always a danger whenever you honor actual people with a statue. They are people with imperfections.

Which is why we should only have statues of horses, maybe mustangs, on campus. Nobody is going to say how that horse once stole oats or knocked over a fence or something.

No Mustangs.

Longhorn cattle is ok.  Hey, maybe even a few Owls.  But no mustangs, bears, frogs, pigs, cougars or collies.

1 hour ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

If our black students don't feel that way, it's sad, because I believe that 99.999999% of UT students and alumni don't sense any racist intent in the song.

First, how nice of him to discount the feelings of people for whom he had no context or understanding of their situation. 

2nd, what scientific method or statistical sampling did he use to get that number?

How about this: if minority communities in the US weren't treated so ridiculously unfair and badly by the white establishment and the establishment's Gestapo police maybe they wouldn't feel this way. Getting rid or altering the majority of the norms and traditions isn't punishment, it's required because for well over 150 years oppression has ruled the land in the USA. If changing all of it now can even begin to change that for the next generation then it's worth it. 

Edited by Wanker Bob
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

There's an article on ESPN interviewing Lawrence Wright, who (re)popularized the Gator Bait chant in the 1990's at Florida.  He says that *he* never took it as racist in any way, and even if it were once racist, that he and his fellow athletes defined a new history for the term.  He's also pissed that the UF administration didn't even come to him to talk about it, they just jumped immediately to shutting it down, because woke.  The Eyes of Texas is in the same place.  Whatever (dubious at best) racist underpinnings were once there have long since been replaced with inclusive feelings - we are ALL Longhorns when we sing The Eyes.  If our black students don't feel that way, it's sad, because I believe that 99.999999% of UT students and alumni don't sense any racist intent in the song.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29329250/university-florida-putting-end-gator-bait-cheer-band-performance-due-racist-history

I think it’s actually 99.999999994%

Some people sound like they think UF dropping a 20-something year old CHEER is equivalent to UT dropping a 100-something year old school song. Mind bottling.

Regarding the names of buildings and statues, I don’t really care if they rename, remove, or replace those that represent people who didn’t contribute significantly to this great university OR those who were significant national (i.e. GW or MLK) or state (i.e. Travis or Houston or Lamar) leaders. Do we have Robert E. Lee or Stonewall Jackson statues or buildings? If so, replace them with people who contributed to the school, state, or country, personally flawed or not.

Pipe dream, I know. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

First, how nice of him to discount the feelings of people for whom he had no context or understanding of their situation. 

2nd, what scientific method or statistical sampling did he use to get that number?

How about this: if minority communities in the US weren't treated so ridiculously unfair and badly by the white establishment and the establishment's Gestapo police maybe they wouldn't feel this way. Getting rid or altering the majority of the norms and traditions isn't punishment, it's required because for well over 150 years oppression has ruled the land in the USA. If changing all of it now can even begin to change that for the next generation then it's worth it. 

image.jpeg.5f4ade81afa2edbd509493b9e333c108.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Well, the University of Texas literally can't answer for or change 150 years of oppression, the white establishment, or Gestapo police. We can only educate people and correct the things that actually occur/have occurred in our little corner of the world. We can advocate for outside changes. That's about the extent of it.

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wanker Bob said:

First, there's no discounting.  If they feel that way, they feel that way - I just think it's sad due to the history of The Eyes being portrayed as something it isn't today.  If we're going to cancel The Eyes on the alter of SJWs, there's plenty more where that came from...

Second, you need better reading comprehension.  I'll bold the relevant part: 

I believe that 99.999999% of UT students and alumni don't sense any racist intent in the song.

"I believe" denotes opinion.  Seven decimal points of 9's is clearly hyperbole.

Edited by Horn of Gabriel
  • Like 1

And I'll add: the football players need to understand this is why their list needs to be discussed and that it takes time. Yes, the machinations to change some building names can start now, but everything cannot and should not happen overnight.

Just now, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Which is why twitter is such an awesome platform for this discussion

Exactly. Twitter will be the downfall of mankind.

I mean, I have read some monumentally stupid shit on here, well almost daily. But Twitter is like the lowest common denominator.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I mean, I have read some monumentally stupid shit on here, well almost daily. But Twitter is like the lowest common denominator.

Wait, are you suggesting that a max length of 280 characters is not an appropriate or capable platform for nuanced discussion of challenges that are 400 years in the making? That's preposte

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, US183 said:

No way. Us useless boomers who deserve to be dead and buy season tickets in the upper deck love that shit. Especially when there’s a break in the action and they fire up the jumbo-tron and play that shit at 150 dB’s, its awesome. It keeps you from having to talk to the other people around you. 

Sorry, but I sit up there and do not like that shit..way too loud.

Edited by Cairn Horn88

7 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

I got Somme too last night. She battled my bulge and I wanted to stop Midway, but finished on her Tets.

I'm taking a moment to give this post a shout-out. It's stupid/genius stuff like this that makes Surly so amazing. Let's hope we can get back to this level at some point in the future. 

Surly-Worthy-Inna.jpg

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

I'm taking a moment to give this post a shout-out. It's stupid/genius stuff like this that make Surly so amazing. Let's hope we can get back to this level at some point in the future. 

Surly-Worthy-Inna.jpg

ShadowyBruisedDavidstiger-size_restricte

• Like 2

“Outreach program for the inner cities”.

What about the Neighborhood Longhorns program I’ve been donating to through the LHF for decades? Are they not aware of that long established outreach program?

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Burntcowboy said:

Jay is all for it. Traitor 

I don't mind the idea but I don't really give a fuck about Jai Alai's opinion.  He's been here all of 5 months.   If the players want a coaches voice that really matters (outside of Herman), get Giles on board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burntcowboy said:

Jay is all for it. Traitor 

See guys. Now this is the true slippery slope in all this. Not your silly getting rid of DKR off the stadium or taking down statues to George Washington. 

3 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Twitter gave a platform for the dumbest morons in society to remove all doubt from the rest of the population how stupid they are. It is the Cloak Room on the cream and the clear.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 4