Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

1 minute ago, DoobieWah said:

See, here's the thing. Had you left out the two underlined words, your point would have been made without furthering the racial aspect. 

Sam is not the only caucasoid on the team. But he was the only player who stayed. The two guys you blame are white but that is utterly immaterial to your point or this discussion. 

I don't think this is really about the song at all. It's  about a large group of individuals who are BMOC and don't like being told to stay after the final gun and sing a kid's song. They finding it demeaning to their individual manhood. 

For 100 years, the team has stood together, win or lose, and performed this ritual. It was a classic team building exercise. 

What we have is not a team. It's a gaggle is selfish products, (of various flavors) who would like nothing better than to spend as little time on campus as possible and move on to the NFL. That's the dream. 

And that ain't changing anytime soon. 

They can't help themselves

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mininghorn88 said:

It is OK and prudent to ask these questions but the first time that you disagree on something, well....

That isn't what is happening here. What is happening here is a bunch of grown adult fans of a team calling players for that team "woke" and SJW and all kinds of other shit. That's not saying "I don't agree" that is moving into the territory of "you are beneath me because of the views you hold" and when it comes to matters of racial justice...then yeah...not a good look for the crowd going past the "I don't agree".

Not agreeing is absolutely acceptable. I disagree with it. I encourage you to feel how you want to feel about it. Leave the person behind the agreement/disagreement alone, especially when they are the players on the football team you are a fan of. Like how fucking hard is this to lay out?

• Hook 'Em 2

The Eyes is done.  Best to eliminate it during the Herman regime so the next coach doesn't have to deal with it and can instead focus on instilling personal accountability and "purging the malcontents."  The transition from Charmin soft to a winning football culture is going to be difficult enough without a lingering racial issue further dividing the team.  Herman also deserves to be forever associated with killing The Eyes.  An appropriate legacy for him.

That said, I have no idea how CDC will obtain the $50 million he needs to dump Herman and hire Urban after squeezing the BMDs for the SEZ and basketball arena and dumping The Eyes.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Born Burnt said:

Serious question: Is "Texas Fight" a problem for some people because it borrows lyrics from "The Eyes of Texas"?

Serious answer: Not as far as anyone here knows.
Serious comment: Stop actively seeking things to be offended by.

41 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

Not talking about the players specifically.  Read in context.  And, you know the answer.

I do know the answer, you're fighting larger cultura/political battles in the football forum. Stop doing that.

26 minutes ago, DoobieWah said:

The two guys you blame are white but that is utterly immaterial to your point or this discussion.

Disagree wholeheartedly. Their own position and background inform their decisions. They didn't care how hard this would come down on the players because they don't identify with or empathize with the players. They knew the fanbase would turn into the Tasmanian Devil of dogwhistle racism but valued their own comfort and security over that. I don't think black administrators would've operated the same way because they would've understood the position the players were in.

They had a chance to take the hit for the kids and they didn't, in part because they don't share the lived realities of those kids.

For 100 years, the team has stood together, win or lose, and performed this ritual. It was a classic team building exercise.

This is mischaracterizing the reality. We have former athletes telling us they didn't like it but did it because they were expected to and had no choice. That vision in your head is an illusion. Some of those athletes you were singing The Eyes with/to/at felt offended by it while you were telling yourself you were mind-melding and spirit-bonding with them. I know you want to tell yourself a comforting fairytale, but it's not reality.

It's like finding out a girl you were making out with was actually disgusted the whole time but felt pressured or obligated. You can either call her a whore, tell her she's lying, or take the L and move forward.

2 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Can we make sure the PA system isn’t used to play music that glorifies gun violence, sexual assault and exploitation?  I’m fairly certain it’s quite offensive to the victims. Or better yet, re-write their lyrics?

Does it actually offend you or are you trying to create controversy where none currently exists for personal attention?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Can we make sure the PA system isn’t used to play music that glorifies gun violence, sexual assault and exploitation?  I’m fairly certain it’s quite offensive to the victims. Or better yet, re-write their lyrics?

If the majority of the team was offended then I’m sure those would be eliminated.  Why is this hard to understand?

I don’t think the song is offensive.  Exactly zero family members who graduated from UT think it’s offensive.  Yet they all see the players point of view.  What they think matters the most right now.  Deal with it.  

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

If the majority of the team was offended then I’m sure those would be eliminated.  Why is this hard to understand?

I don’t think the song is offensive.  Exactly zero family members who graduated from UT think it’s offensive.  Yet they all see the players point of view.  What they think matters the most right now.  Deal with it.  

Do you still have the Lambo?

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

The Eyes won't be done for this exact reason.  I remember when people laughed at me in June when I said The Eyes protest (especially if combined with shitty football) will have massive economic repercussions.  Well it's happening.  Donations are being pulled left and right.  People that cancelled season Tix due to COVID but opted to either role those funds into a donation or roll them into a credit for next year are now demanding a refund.   Tom Herman (and CDC for allowing it to happen) have screwed this up more than I could have ever imagined.  You don't want to sing the song?  Fine, but it's not hard to mandate, as a team rule, that win or lose you stand in front of the student body and put your horns up in solidarity as a team/school and as a sign of respect to the students and fans supporting you. 

If all it's actually about is this bolded section, then leadership should do that without The Eyes.

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

No shit.  It's as laughable as when aggy was lauding a TFL in a game of such blowout proportions they made changes to not stop the clock and OU was just running the ball straight up the middle.

2q2p3c.gif

I can’t be angry after seeing this.  What a legend.  Carry on...

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, tjhooker said:

Holy shit.  The Bill Cosby / The Eyes analogy.  Didn't see that one coming.  I was expecting more of a Hitler / The Eyes analogy.  Good work! 

Don't be fatuous, Jeffrey. Only an idiot would make that comparison.

The Germans didn't spend the bulk of the century after losing their war trying to pretend that the Holocaust was a good thing and that the extermination of Jews needed to continue by other means. They didn't work tirelessly to find new ways post-defeat to subjugate Jews through policy. They didn't form groups to lynch Jews afterwards. They didn't deny Jews housing or segregate them afterwards. The Germans, unlike The South, at least had the common decency to feel ashamed for what they had allowed to occur. The worst they do is try to pretend it didn't happen, and the German government has gone as far as to make even that kind of thing illegal.

So no, I can't think of any analogy to mid-20th-century Germany that comes even close to working.

11 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

What if it offends the majority of gun violence and sexual assault survivors who are alums and are there to support their school?  Why is their offense given lesser status than the current football players?

It’s called hypocrisy, nothing hard to understand about it. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

Just now, ChickenSandwich said:

What if it offends the majority of gun violence and sexual assault survivors who are alums and are there to support their school?  Why is their offense given lesser status than the current football players?

This is already a policy. What songs do they play in the stadium that glorify sexual assault? 

7 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

As a paying fan/parent/alumni attending games, do I assume that the music played is only for the players?  As an attendee can I not say it (other songs, not The Eyes) is offensive?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Because those people can simply stop showing up to games.  Without football players it’s hard to play a football game.  I guess all you alums can suit up and see who shows up/pays to watch.  

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

sheeeet, now you're being really racist!

5 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Hell yeah brother. Is the offer still on the table from the old site that I can drive it if we ever meet?

Ha, have had a couple shaggy members cruise it around.  Offer stands!

And don’t lump me in with the SJW shit.  I just think on this one the players are exercising their rights.  And all this does annoy the hell out of me.  Sad it’s come to this, but it has, and now it’s time to deal.  

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

Tom Herman (and CDC for allowing it to happen) have screwed this up more than I could have ever imagined.  You don't want to sing the song?  Fine, but it's not hard to mandate, as a team rule, that win or lose you stand in front of the student body and put your horns up in solidarity as a team/school and as a sign of respect to the students and fans supporting you.   

I was in the stands Saturday and watching that shitty team Sam carried on his back leave him out there alone was a lower point than any of the Stoops beatdowns I've witnessed in that stadium.  Truly pathetic.  And I blame CDC and Herman for letting that happen. CDC for now foreseeing what a shit show this would become, and Herman for being such a shit leader that there is absolute zero team unity.  Just a bunch of individuals playing for themselves.    Say what you want about Mack Brown, and I was as ready for him to go as anyone, but that NEVER would have happened under his watch.

Pretty much all this.   The Four Black Saturdays under Brown were as bad as it gets when it comes to on-field debacles. The scene after the game was just pathetic on Saturday,  

Just an unlikable team, including the entire coaching staff, that is spoon fed every conceivable resource and advantage including $10,000 lockers but somehow figures out a way to turn into an undisciplined and soft mess on Saturday with the tenacity and intimidation of a bunch of fucking goldfish.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Without football players it’s hard to play a football game.

Players that get the opportunity to play at one of the greatest programs in the country to show case their skills and possibly make it to the next level?  Players with world class facilities and every conceivable advantage to help them reach their athletic and academic potential?  Players are admitted and hopefully graduate to one of the best schools in the country with a massive alumni network just looking to help them?

I get your point, and hopefully you get mine - it's a two-way street.  Everyone is up in arms over "what was", and not "what is" - what is one of the most unifying aspects of this school.  Seems the most often overlooked aspect of any conversation these days is intent.  Can anyone honestly say there is even a speck of racist intent or animosity related to the school, the players, or the song?

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

If these players were worth a fuck on the field their opinions would carry more weight.  If this was Vince, M Griffin, Huff, Blalock, Wright, Jamaal, Ross, Orakpo, etc I would care a lot more about what they had to say.  These current clowns are all replacement level players.  I’d tell them to fuck off until they win something. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I can not help wondering why a song or the phrase Red River Shootout caused so much fkn tumult, but it is not a problem to repeatedly use the word "kill" in a damn volleyball match. 

This makes perfect sense to me:

"Fine, but it's not hard to mandate, as a team rule, that win or lose you stand in front of the student body and put your horns up in solidarity as a team/school and as a sign of respect to the students and fans supporting you."  

• Like 1

It's funny how @ChickenSandwich thinks he's actually making a point for his team by trying to lump sexual assault victims and minorities into the same bucket of "people who we must unreasonably cater to by not playing offensive songs", when in fact UT doesn't play songs with cuss words or sexual violence by policy.

WHAT NEXT? NO SONGS ABOUT RAPE IN THE STADIUM? WHEN WILL THE SJW'S BE SATISFIED? 

That's some staggering self-ownage. 

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Players that get the opportunity to play at one of the greatest programs in the country to show case their skills and possibly make it to the next level?  Players with world class facilities and every conceivable advantage to help them reach their athletic and academic potential?  Players are admitted and hopefully graduate to one of the best schools in the country with a massive alumni network just looking to help them?

I get your point, and hopefully you get mine - it's a two-way street.  Everyone is up in arms over "what was", and not "what is" - what is one of the most unifying aspects of this school.  Seems the most often overlooked aspect of any conversation these days is intent.  Can anyone honestly say there is even a speck of racist intent or animosity related to the school, the players, or the song?

I get all of that.  I just think right now is not the time to fight this shit.  I also think if you guys were winning this wouldn’t be an issue in season.  So as usual - it boils down to fire TH.  

But yes I totally see your side.  It’s an opportunity I would have killed for.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Ketch is a Grade A Douchebag but I think this is just about the best written summary of the issue I've seen.   Worthy of a read (free article).

https://texas.rivals.com/news/ketch-s-10-thoughts-from-the-weekend-on-the-eyes-of-texas-

Or, instead of leaving the institution, try your best to change it. 

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Ketch is a Grade A Douchebag but I think this is just about the best written summary of the issue I've seen.   Worthy of a read (free article).

https://texas.rivals.com/news/ketch-s-10-thoughts-from-the-weekend-on-the-eyes-of-texas-

He has a number of good points - one being you'd be hard pressed to find any school more than 100 years old without warts.  Hell, I think dinky little Austin College in Sherman was an all-male confederate military school.  There is no talk about growth and change.  What we are is not who we were.  Times change.  Schools change.  Intentions change.  Do we just carte blanche cast out all southern school traditions that don't involve intros to Metallica and intermissions to House of Pain?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Also, it isn’t smart for a bunch of youth and community studies majors with shitty NFL draft prospects to be pissing off alums.  

Which was my point about it being a two-way street.  They play for the school that supports them every step of the way, in school and after.  

8 minutes ago, AnTiM said:

I can not help wondering why a song or the phrase Red River Shootout caused so much fkn tumult, but it is not a problem to repeatedly use the word "kill" in a damn volleyball match. 

Is it safe to talk about this one - since it's not racial?  Because people love to manufacture selective-outrage.  Nothing displays UBER-ENLIGHTENMENT more than being able to scavenge the faintest whiff of political INJUSTICE from a pile of turd and RAILING against it.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

He has a number of good points - one being you'd be hard pressed to find any school more than 100 years old without warts.  Hell, I think dinky little Austin College in Sherman was an all-male confederate military school.  There is no talk about growth and change.  What we are is not who we were.  Times change.  Schools change.  Intentions change.  Do we just carte blanche cast out all southern school traditions that don't involve intros to Metallica and intermissions to House of Pain?

He left out the most salient point: no one is preventing anyone from singing the Eyes of Texas before, during, or after a sporting event.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Because those people can simply stop showing up to games.  Without football players it’s hard to play a football game.  I guess all you alums can suit up and see who shows up/pays to watch.  

Would the results on the field be all that different?

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I get all of that.  I just think right now is not the time to fight this shit.  I also think if you guys were winning this wouldn’t be an issue in season.  So as usual - it boils down to fire TH.  

I strongly disagree.  I don't know what the OU equivalent is, since all your band does is play the same stupid ass 6 notes over and over again 1000 times per game, but for the vast majority of Texas fans the song is representative of Texas fandom.  Period.   If Texas wins that game in OT and Sam sings the song standing alone while the players celebrate by themselves, backs turned to the student body and actively refusing to participate, I would have had the same empty feeling.  Edit:  Read that Ketch article I linked above.

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Serious answer: Not as far as anyone here knows.
Serious comment: Stop actively seeking things to be offended by.

It's not unreasonable to wonder or ask if a person who has a problem singing the song "The Eyes of Texas" also has a problem singing the lines "The Eyes of Texas are upon you, All the livelong day" in the school fight song. Therefore, I was inquiring whether this has come up. JFC, you're insufferable.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

That's not analogous to this situation at all.

The black athletes aren't demanding anyone else do anything. They want the choice to not stand for The Eyes. That's it. If the players were saying "no one should be allowed to sing it at all" that would be an entirely different conversation. Their request is imminently reasonable.

Your foray into white victimhood doesn't represent reality at all.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/06/12/ut-austin-football-players-buildings-racism/

"In addition to demands specific to the athletics department, athletes also want UT officials to rename campus buildings ... and discontinue the school song, “The Eyes of Texas,”"

You're refuting arguments no one is making.  The players have always had the choice to sing the Eyes.  Even when it was "policy," many of them stood around and that was fine, I've been on these boards for years and have never seen a post where someone was upset that a player wasn't belting it out at volume.  It is about the players abandoning the fans and tradition of coming together after the game.  However that may not be b/c they don't like The Eyes. It's probably b/c they're embarrassed about their poor performance on the field or just don't care.  And yes, that failure of expectation setting is on the Coach and the AD.

Also: inflammatory statements like "white victimhood" and "furious old white guys" noted.  Interesting how we haven't seen our mods castigate those words, just "woke."

• Hook 'Em 8

The thing that knifes Ketch's position in the gut (lol) is that many Jews do, to this day, boycott German car manufacturers and even Ford. Is he going to go whine at Jews about it because he wants them to be nice to the cars?

Why does he need all of these other people to perform a ritual for him to continue cherishing his memories? Why is he so insecure?

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

... but for the vast majority of Texas fans the song is representative of Texas fandom.  Period.

tenor.gif?itemid=5922214

You guys overstate how representative you are. Ketch's anecdote is literally a one-in-a-million type of story (being invited into a special section at a national championship game). To the "vast majority of Texas fans" The Eyes is a nice song that doesn't actually mean much to them. Period.

If Texas wins that game in OT and Sam sings the song standing alone while the players celebrate by themselves, backs turned to the student body and actively refusing to participate, I would have had the same empty feeling.

Yes, that would suck. Which is why administration should find a way to promote unity knowing what they know instead of allowing this cancerous situation to metastasize.

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I strongly disagree.  I don't know what the OU equivalent is, since all your band does is play the same stupid ass 6 notes over and over again 1000 times per game, but for the vast majority of Texas fans the song is representative of Texas fandom.  Period.   If Texas wins that game in OT and Sam sings the song standing alone while the players celebrate by themselves, backs turned to the student body and actively refusing to participate, I would have had the same empty feeling.  Edit:  Read that Ketch article I linked above.

It should be obvious by now that it's never going back to the way it was.

The goal now should be to find an acceptable solution for both fans and athletes alike.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/06/12/ut-austin-football-players-buildings-racism/

"In addition to demands specific to the athletics department, athletes also want UT officials to rename campus buildings ... and discontinue the school song, “The Eyes of Texas,”"

You're refuting arguments no one is making.  The players have always had the choice to sing the Eyes.  Even when it was "policy," many of them stood around and that was fine, I've been on these boards for years and have never seen a post where someone was upset that a player wasn't belting it out at volume.  It is about the players abandoning the fans and tradition of coming together after the game.  However that may not be b/c they don't like The Eyes. It's probably b/c they're embarrassed about their poor performance on the field or just don't care.  And yes, that failure of expectation setting is on the Coach and the AD.

Also: inflammatory statements like "white victimhood" and "furious old white guys" noted.  Interesting how we haven't seen our mods castigate those words, just "woke."

He's a fucking troll.  Quit validating him

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Also: inflammatory statements like "white victimhood" and "furious old white guys" noted. Interesting how we haven't seen our mods castigate those words, just "woke."

This.   The douchebag Cloak Room trolls on this thread cut both ways.  

• Hook 'Em 4

If these players were worth a fuck on the field their opinions would carry more weight.  If this was Vince, M Griffin, Huff, Blalock, Wright, Jamaal, Ross, Orakpo, etc I would care a lot more about what they had to say.  These current clowns are all replacement level players.  I’d tell them to fuck off until they win something. 

You are a replacement level fan...
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

The thing that knifes Ketch's position in the gut (lol) is that many Jews do, to this day, boycott German car manufacturers and even Ford. Is he going to go whine at Jews about it because he wants them to be nice to the cars?

Why does he need all of these other people to perform a ritual for him to continue cherishing his memories? Why is he so insecure?

tenor.gif?itemid=5922214

You guys overstate how representative you are. Ketch's anecdote is literally a one-in-a-million type of story (being invited into a special section at a national championship game). To the "vast majority of Texas fans" The Eyes is a nice song that doesn't actually mean much to them. Period.

Yes, that would suck. Which is why administration should find a way to promote unity knowing what they know instead of allowing this cancerous situation to metastasize.

Your screen name says it all.  You should just quit the team.  You are not worth even cutting.

• Hook 'Em 1