Fallout (TV Show) - Amazon prime

MillerEP

Episode 1 was so good. They nailed that. Very excited about watching the rest. 

Spoiler

The raider scene was satisfying. Loved they immediately showed they won’t skimp out on gore. 

Lucy is hot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Watched episode 1 today.

Spoiler

I laughed when cigarette smoking ruffian got impaled with the baby doll (leg sticking out of his chest) from the junk jet.  It was a quick scene near the end of the episode.  The junk jet was a special weapon in Fallout 4 that let you shoot any random trash (including teddy bears) you could find in the game at high speeds to obliterate enemies.

Also, happy they didn't try to spend any time really explaining or justifying how a stimpak shot magically heals a deep knife wound.  Just roll with it.  Video game logic.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, bernorange said:

Watched episode 1 today.

Hide contents

I laughed when cigarette smoking ruffian got impaled with the baby doll (leg sticking out of his chest) from the junk jet.  It was a quick scene near the end of the episode.  The junk jet was a special weapon in Fallout 4 that let you shoot any random trash (including teddy bears) you could find in the game at high speeds to obliterate enemies.

Also, happy they didn't try to spend any time really explaining or justifying how a stimpak shot magically heals a deep knife wound.  Just roll with it.  Video game logic.

The props have been great. Cool seeing all this iconic stuff in the show. 

4 hours ago, Viper said:

So I've only played Fallout 1 and 2, and know some of the history, how much does playing Fallout 3 and 4 help with the show?

I don't think you really need to have played the games to enjoy the show (or to understand what's happening).  Having played the games does let you appreciate some of the details that they don't explain (call them easter eggs if you like), but nothing important.

• Hook 'Em 2

I’ll offer a dissenting opinion on going back and playing Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas - I did that last year and really enjoyed it. Of course, I had already played FO3 and I’m also not constantly playing modern stuff like Baldurs Gate 3, but I was easily able to reset to late 2000’s era graphics. The controls aren’t bad, and it is still really to great to play as an RPG - turning the lights off, immersing yourself in the character, creeping through the subway tunnels. Stumbling into the mutant camp in the National Mall was awesome all over again, and doing New Vegas for the first time was great.

Loving the show. I’m still on the second episode. Lots of subtle details for the fans of the games - looks like Walter Goggins is playing with the Bloody Mess perk.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bernorange said:

I don't think you really need to have played the games to enjoy the show (or to understand what's happening).  Having played the games does let you appreciate some of the details that they don't explain (call them easter eggs if you like), but nothing important.

This. I was a few mins into Ep 1 when The Wife (no pics) walked past & got intrigued. She has no knowledge of the Fallout universe outside of whatever glimpses she has of me playing the games over the years and is enjoying the series. 

Posted (edited)

Played v1 of fallout back in the 90s but recall very little.

It’s hard not to compare this show to Silo on Apple TV. While I thought Fallout was more entertaining, Silo produced more of a mystery that kept me wanting more. Silo however is not as ambitious, or at least S1 of Silo.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

On 7/2/2020 at 6:07 PM, Dr Fear said:

The Witcher was good because the writers were aware of just how ridiculous it was.  I hope the Fallout writers embrace that.

Loving it. My kids are pausing the show while in progress and taking time to explain things to me, which is helpful. After five or ten minutes, when they’re done arguing over their explanations, we move on. Great show but it’s like watching a football game with unlimited replays.

I keep being afraid to open this thread because I'm enjoying this but it's slow going with my life these days. I think I'm up to the 4th episode now. Requesting that big spoilers or plot discussion gets spoilertagged for a bit longer at least.

A nod to the videogames i enjoyed in the first shootout scene that i saw was the zoom/slow-mo effect. It took me a second to remember that that mirrors the VATS (vault-tec assisted targeting system) gameplay in the game.

All this desert stuff, I hope I hear this song at some point

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

I'm really liking this show. I've only ever played Fallout 4 and I didn't make it very far before putting it aside. I'm thinking I might fire it back up. I love the "world" -- it's very well conceived and constructed.

I keep being afraid to open this thread because I'm enjoying this but it's slow going with my life these days. I think I'm up to the 4th episode now. Requesting that big spoilers or plot discussion gets spoilertagged for a bit longer at least.

A nod to the videogames i enjoyed in the first shootout scene that i saw was the zoom/slow-mo effect. It took me a second to remember that that mirrors the VATS (vault-tec assisted targeting system) gameplay in the game.
All this desert stuff, I hope I hear this song at some point

I think that was the Jet he took. But maybe an homage either way.

And we definitely need some Big Iron!