Jimbo 2023: Watch.The.Tape.

golfclap

Rosa’s cafe is a West Texas gem.  Great tortillas for sure.  In HS we used to go there for lunch and get the $2.03.  That was 3 fresh tortillas, a 1/2 pint of refried beans, cheese and a coke.  That was money.

The Aggies I know that we in deep are at a loss.  They immediately deflect when asked about the payouts to the 2022 class. Their new line I am hearing is all the 23 kids see how stacked the roster is and they just aren’t good enough so Jimbo is being more selective. They want the best of the best that’s why they are going national.  Sad thing is, they actually believe this shit. 

• Hook 'Em 3

15 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I am from Pasa-get-down-dena, sir. I am Team Casa Ole for life. Also, they have the greatest queso I've ever had, and I've them all over the world! Now get the hell out of here!

But yeah, I haven't had Taco Bueno since childhood. Is it still awesome?

Yes sir.  It is.

I do a bit of hunting in the thriving metropolis of Milam, Texas.  And that Taco Bueno is my stop on the way home with the kids.

8 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Per your request around "money troubles" for last class. My theory:

I can certainly see where it would be a huge problem. For instance:

I give player Walter Nolan 1/4th of the $750K they supposedly paid him as a yearly "salary". That $187K is then loaded onto a thumb drive, and is essentially 3 bitcoin when BC was trading above $60K. (This ain't NIL after all..)

The value of said bitcoin then crashes down to $20K, making the value of the thumb drive worth $60K.

Nolan hasn't cashed it in yet, so now he says "Hey, what the fuck? I need 6 more bitcoins." The aggy then says "It was worth $187K when we gave it to you, you should have cashed it then."

Nolan says "This is bullshit, you aren't giving me what you promised." And meanwhile, the aggy is out of bitcoins because he did the same thing with 10 other recruits and is still trying to stand firm on what it was worth when it was handed to him.

Except now, all 10 recruits are pissed and they have no other way to compensate them because they didn't think that far ahead and they tied their recruiting class to the most volatile investment vehicle on the planet. Their only option is to give them ALL of the bitcoin they had set aside for their college tenure (assuming they did so), but that leaves them bankrupt for any other players this cycle, and also leaves them unable to pay these same kids next year.  

So now.. all players visiting aggy expect this kind of treatment. None of them are getting it because they can't even afford to pay what they promised to the last class. The last class, in turn, tells the recruits that things aren't working out as promised. Said recruits go elsewhere. FIN

That reads like Gone with the Wind. You should make a screenplay.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Harvdog said:

Rosa’s cafe is a West Texas gem.  Great tortillas for sure.  In HS we used to go there for lunch and get the $2.03.  That was 3 fresh tortillas, a 1/2 pint of refried beans, cheese and a coke.  That was money.

The Aggies I know that we in deep are at a loss.  They immediately deflect when asked about the payouts to the 2022 class. Their new line I am hearing is all the 23 kids see how stacked the roster is and they just aren’t good enough so Jimbo is being more selective. They want the best of the best that’s why they are going national.  Sad thing is, they actually believe this shit. 

Tortillas and a large queso or GTFO. 

• Like 1

Key notes from Recruiting Country

• There is a pathway for Texas A&M to have a top ten class, but in the last month, your margin of error has continued to shrink. Harris Sewell‍ committed to Clemson. You used to feel great about him. Jalen Hale‍ left you out of his top three. Malik Muhammad‍ is trending towards Texas, and a couple of months ago, I felt good about him coming to A&M.

• Last recruiting cycle was an anomaly in which all of the breaks and all of the big things you needed to go in your favor happened for you. That's almost never the case. The dominos fell perfectly last cycle. However, there is no time to panic. There is plenty of time left in this cycle.

• The coaches return to campus at the end of this week, and it's time to hit the ground running.

• You have David Hicks‍, Anthony Hill‍, Javien Toviano‍, TJ Shanahan‍, Austin Novosad‍ and Chase Bisontis‍ still available. You have to get those guys. We're saying this in July, but there will certainly be ebbs and flows in this cycle that we cannot see right now. Remember where we were this time last year. There are some guys in-state that A&M will stay active with. For example, A&M stays in contact with Johnny Bowens‍ even though he decommitted. There is a pathway still, but the ball has to get rolling pretty quickly.

• Sometimes kids just pick other places. In the last cycle, there were some programs that were trying to combat the momentum that A&M had. This cycle, you're seeing everybody trying to quell the momentum that A&M built. These kids are getting hit with anti-A&M messages left and right, but that's recruiting. They're battling through a lot, but you need something to go your way. You need a bigger domino to fall your way pretty soon.

• Getting guys to campus on game days is huge. There are not many places that can offer the gameday experience that Kyle Field has.

• I don't think A&M is done with Rueben Owens‍. We'll see what happens with Cedric Baxter Jr.‍ I think A&M can get Owens back on campus.

• If Hicks doesn't come to the pool party, I don't think that's an indicator of who is going to be the pick there. The plan is for his recruitment to last for a while, and he'll make his decision at an All-American Game.

• You can make the argument that this pool party is more important than the last one. You had the ball rolling last year. You don't have that this year. The visitor list will be very impressive. It may be more important because of how things are around you and in the state in regard to other classes.

• It's all about gaining towards Georgia, Alabama and Ohio State. You have to address quality players and quality depth. To call something a "rough recruiting cycle" in July is too early. You have to find some way to get it going in the right direction, which is why I think there has to be a sense of urgency to get a guy that carries some cache in the state, region or nationally. You've just been treading water since Daymion Sanford‍ committed.

• NIL is going to be at the forefront of this, and I don't know why anybody is surprised. I saw the story about Mack Brown and the kid in his office where he told the kid he should commit to the $350,000 offer because Brown doesn't believe some of these figures. NIL is playing a prominent role.

• The last weekend in July is the only weekend you can have visitors before the entire month of August is a dead period. The recruiting calendar is weird, and it's managed by the NCAA. Why would it make any sense?

• The pool party will be one of the more important dates each year, but you have to make it innovative each year so it's not the same thing every time. You have to find different ways to make it more fun, but it looks like it's here to stay. That was something incorporated when Jimbo Fisher got here, and it has been one of the biggest dates since then.

• The first time I saw Novosad was at a 7on7 event in Houston. Turns out he had a lot of A&M ties. I've been a fan of the kid and the family since then. They're going through the task of sorting through recruiting right now.

• Novosad threw at A&M's camp two years ago. At the time, A&M had Eli Holstein‍ committed. They knew then that when he got stronger and added weight, Novosad would become a big-time prospect. A&M didn't recruit the position while Holstein was committed. When he backed away, they opened that position back up completely. They offered out-of-state kids first to get them on campus. With Novosad, they had already done their homework on him. Some of the coaches visited Dripping Springs. A&M extended an offer in June, and since then, he has gotten offers from Notre Dame and Ohio State.

• The Novosads are looking at everything A&M has to offer from fit in the offense to life on campus. They don't like the recruiting process, and this won't linger for long. I would expect a decision to be made there within the next three weeks.

• Darrell Dickey has a great relationship with Novosad. It's also about building a relationship with Jimbo Fisher, and I've heard that they've clicked. It's still tough to overcome the relationships he has built with Baylor. As this goes on, it's an opportunity to build that relationship. Still, I think Austin and his family would like to have this done in the next two or three weeks.

• I know there are people excited about Zachariah Branch‍ possibly coming back for the pool party. There's a chance that could happen, but I'm not ready to say that he's for sure coming back. He's the No. 1 receiver in the country and is committed to USC. Getting him back would be a big step in the right direction.
  • Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

• There is a pathway for Texas A&M to have a top ten class, but in the last month, your margin of error has continued to shrink. Harris Sewell‍ committed to Clemson. You used to feel great about him. Jalen Hale‍ left you out of his top three. Malik Muhammad‍ is trending towards Texas, and a couple of months ago, I felt good about him coming to A&M.

• Last recruiting cycle was an anomaly in which all of the breaks and all of the big things you needed to go in your favor happened for you. That's almost never the case. The dominos fell perfectly last cycle. However, there is no time to panic. There is plenty of time left in this cycle.

• The coaches return to campus at the end of this week, and it's time to hit the ground running.

• You have David Hicks‍, Anthony Hill‍, Javien Toviano‍, TJ Shanahan‍, Austin Novosad‍ and Chase Bisontis‍ still available. You have to get those guys. We're saying this in July, but there will certainly be ebbs and flows in this cycle that we cannot see right now. Remember where we were this time last year. There are some guys in-state that A&M will stay active with. For example, A&M stays in contact with Johnny Bowens‍ even though he decommitted. There is a pathway still, but the ball has to get rolling pretty quickly.

• Sometimes kids just pick other places. In the last cycle, there were some programs that were trying to combat the momentum that A&M had. This cycle, you're seeing everybody trying to quell the momentum that A&M built. These kids are getting hit with anti-A&M messages left and right, but that's recruiting. They're battling through a lot, but you need something to go your way. You need a bigger domino to fall your way pretty soon.

• Getting guys to campus on game days is huge. There are not many places that can offer the gameday experience that Kyle Field has.

• I don't think A&M is done with Rueben Owens‍. We'll see what happens with Cedric Baxter Jr.‍ I think A&M can get Owens back on campus.

• If Hicks doesn't come to the pool party, I don't think that's an indicator of who is going to be the pick there. The plan is for his recruitment to last for a while, and he'll make his decision at an All-American Game.

• You can make the argument that this pool party is more important than the last one. You had the ball rolling last year. You don't have that this year. The visitor list will be very impressive. It may be more important because of how things are around you and in the state in regard to other classes.

• It's all about gaining towards Georgia, Alabama and Ohio State. You have to address quality players and quality depth. To call something a "rough recruiting cycle" in July is too early. You have to find some way to get it going in the right direction, which is why I think there has to be a sense of urgency to get a guy that carries some cache in the state, region or nationally. You've just been treading water since Daymion Sanford‍ committed.

• NIL is going to be at the forefront of this, and I don't know why anybody is surprised. I saw the story about Mack Brown and the kid in his office where he told the kid he should commit to the $350,000 offer because Brown doesn't believe some of these figures. NIL is playing a prominent role.

• The last weekend in July is the only weekend you can have visitors before the entire month of August is a dead period. The recruiting calendar is weird, and it's managed by the NCAA. Why would it make any sense?

• The pool party will be one of the more important dates each year, but you have to make it innovative each year so it's not the same thing every time. You have to find different ways to make it more fun, but it looks like it's here to stay. That was something incorporated when Jimbo Fisher got here, and it has been one of the biggest dates since then.

• The first time I saw Novosad was at a 7on7 event in Houston. Turns out he had a lot of A&M ties. I've been a fan of the kid and the family since then. They're going through the task of sorting through recruiting right now.

• Novosad threw at A&M's camp two years ago. At the time, A&M had Eli Holstein‍ committed. They knew then that when he got stronger and added weight, Novosad would become a big-time prospect. A&M didn't recruit the position while Holstein was committed. When he backed away, they opened that position back up completely. They offered out-of-state kids first to get them on campus. With Novosad, they had already done their homework on him. Some of the coaches visited Dripping Springs. A&M extended an offer in June, and since then, he has gotten offers from Notre Dame and Ohio State.

• The Novosads are looking at everything A&M has to offer from fit in the offense to life on campus. They don't like the recruiting process, and this won't linger for long. I would expect a decision to be made there within the next three weeks.

• Darrell Dickey has a great relationship with Novosad. It's also about building a relationship with Jimbo Fisher, and I've heard that they've clicked. It's still tough to overcome the relationships he has built with Baylor. As this goes on, it's an opportunity to build that relationship. Still, I think Austin and his family would like to have this done in the next two or three weeks.

• I know there are people excited about Zachariah Branch‍ possibly coming back for the pool party. There's a chance that could happen, but I'm not ready to say that he's for sure coming back. He's the No. 1 receiver in the country and is committed to USC. Getting him back would be a big step in the right direction.

Faithfully submitted, Douglas C. Neidermeyer, Sergeant at Arms

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

taco bueno is just okay

i still go 3 or 4 times a year because they put a $5 off $12 coupon in the big weekly coupon junkmail pack

the bueno chilada is not on the menu board but still a sku and reminds me of the 2 years at Arlington Stadium where they served nachos with ground beef (75? 75?)

anyway north of 635 and east of 35 in dallas and collin county there are shitload of them that have been around for 40 years:

https://www.google.com/maps/search/taco+bueno/@33.0969759,-97.0400674,10.42z

Went back and looked to see which #1 class had the worst follow up class. Since 2002 only two schools dropped into the double digits ( '03 Texas ranked #15 and '11 Florida ranked #11 after taking less than 20 kids) the rest all were able to stay in the top 5 year over year and most of them stayed in the top 2 or 3. If a&m (#60 currently) doesn't turn it on then they will be looking at blowing this record out of the water. 

4 hours ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

Paste as plain text is your friend.

Spoiler

There is a pathway for Texas A&M to have a top ten class, but in the last month, your margin of error has continued to shrink. Harris Sewell‍ committed to Clemson. You used to feel great about him. Jalen Hale‍ left you out of his top three. Malik Muhammad‍ is trending towards Texas, and a couple of months ago, I felt good about him coming to A&M.

Last recruiting cycle was an anomaly in which all of the breaks and all of the big things you needed to go in your favor happened for you. That's almost never the case. The dominos fell perfectly last cycle. However, there is no time to panic. There is plenty of time left in this cycle.

The coaches return to campus at the end of this week, and it's time to hit the ground running.

You have David Hicks‍, Anthony Hill‍, Javien Toviano‍, TJ Shanahan‍, Austin Novosad‍ and Chase Bisontis‍ still available. You have to get those guys. We're saying this in July, but there will certainly be ebbs and flows in this cycle that we cannot see right now. Remember where we were this time last year. There are some guys in-state that A&M will stay active with. For example, A&M stays in contact with Johnny Bowens‍ even though he decommitted. There is a pathway still, but the ball has to get rolling pretty quickly.

Sometimes kids just pick other places. In the last cycle, there were some programs that were trying to combat the momentum that A&M had. This cycle, you're seeing everybody trying to quell the momentum that A&M built. These kids are getting hit with anti-A&M messages left and right, but that's recruiting. They're battling through a lot, but you need something to go your way. You need a bigger domino to fall your way pretty soon.

Getting guys to campus on game days is huge. There are not many places that can offer the gameday experience that Kyle Field has.

I don't think A&M is done with Rueben Owens‍. We'll see what happens with Cedric Baxter Jr.‍ I think A&M can get Owens back on campus.

If Hicks doesn't come to the pool party, I don't think that's an indicator of who is going to be the pick there. The plan is for his recruitment to last for a while, and he'll make his decision at an All-American Game.

You can make the argument that this pool party is more important than the last one. You had the ball rolling last year. You don't have that this year. The visitor list will be very impressive. It may be more important because of how things are around you and in the state in regard to other classes.

It's all about gaining towards Georgia, Alabama and Ohio State. You have to address quality players and quality depth. To call something a "rough recruiting cycle" in July is too early. You have to find some way to get it going in the right direction, which is why I think there has to be a sense of urgency to get a guy that carries some cache in the state, region or nationally. You've just been treading water since Daymion Sanford‍ committed.

NIL is going to be at the forefront of this, and I don't know why anybody is surprised. I saw the story about Mack Brown and the kid in his office where he told the kid he should commit to the $350,000 offer because Brown doesn't believe some of these figures. NIL is playing a prominent role.

The last weekend in July is the only weekend you can have visitors before the entire month of August is a dead period. The recruiting calendar is weird, and it's managed by the NCAA. Why would it make any sense?

The pool party will be one of the more important dates each year, but you have to make it innovative each year so it's not the same thing every time. You have to find different ways to make it more fun, but it looks like it's here to stay. That was something incorporated when Jimbo Fisher got here, and it has been one of the biggest dates since then.

The first time I saw Novosad was at a 7on7 event in Houston. Turns out he had a lot of A&M ties. I've been a fan of the kid and the family since then. They're going through the task of sorting through recruiting right now.

Novosad threw at A&M's camp two years ago. At the time, A&M had Eli Holstein‍ committed. They knew then that when he got stronger and added weight, Novosad would become a big-time prospect. A&M didn't recruit the position while Holstein was committed. When he backed away, they opened that position back up completely. They offered out-of-state kids first to get them on campus. With Novosad, they had already done their homework on him. Some of the coaches visited Dripping Springs. A&M extended an offer in June, and since then, he has gotten offers from Notre Dame and Ohio State.

The Novosads are looking at everything A&M has to offer from fit in the offense to life on campus. They don't like the recruiting process, and this won't linger for long. I would expect a decision to be made there within the next three weeks.

Darrell Dickey has a great relationship with Novosad. It's also about building a relationship with Jimbo Fisher, and I've heard that they've clicked. It's still tough to overcome the relationships he has built with Baylor. As this goes on, it's an opportunity to build that relationship. Still, I think Austin and his family would like to have this done in the next two or three weeks.

I know there are people excited about Zachariah Branch‍ possibly coming back for the pool party. There's a chance that could happen, but I'm not ready to say that he's for sure coming back. He's the No. 1 receiver in the country and is committed to USC. Getting him back would be a big step in the right direction.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Looks like Wiltfong is giving aggy hope in landing Chase Bisontis.

And the aggy Rivals mod put in an aggy pick for him, but he's like Hamm when it comes to predictions.

They need that dude SO badly, he's from the Northeast, and Kelly's LSU is their main competition. They really have to go all out on him.

11 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

They keep saying the pool party is where recruiting got going last year with Nolan, Stewart, and others showing up, but who besides Hill is going this time?  Like one of those screenshots said, TJ Shanahan isn't going to move the needle.

From the list I saw, recruits we're interested in: CB Muhammad and LBs Hill and Gullette. 

Think Shelby just eliminated them so wouldn't expect him there.

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Muhammed won't be at the pool party. Gullette probably won't be either. Hill is a wild card. I almost want him to go because they're going to inevitably put a hard press on him and he's the type that not only won't be moved by that, but it actually might be a turn off. You can't coerce a top 15 recruit in July no matter who you are. There's some talk that he's won't be there though. 

lloyd-dumb.gif

On 7/12/2022 at 4:53 PM, closetojumping said:

I am from Pasa-get-down-dena, sir. I am Team Casa Ole for life. Also, they have the greatest queso I've ever had, and I've them all over the world! Now get the hell out of here!

But yeah, I haven't had Taco Bueno since childhood. Is it still awesome?

Hmm…does Don-Key (sp) still exist? Been many years since I was in touch with that part of the extended Houston area (chasing my eventual better half). Used to love that place.

15 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

Hmm…does Don-Key (sp) still exist? Been many years since I was in touch with that part of the extended Houston area (chasing my eventual better half). Used to love that place.

I think so. The only time I go out that way is due to something related to helping family. I feel like I'd have heard if it closed down. Was never a favorite of mine, though.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think so. The only time I go out that way is due to something related to helping family. I feel like I'd have heard if it closed down. Was never a favorite of mine, though.

I mostly remember the margaritas. I think that was their main attraction. Don’t remember the food so much that I’d attempt to qualify it. The margaritas served their purpose enough to moot that point I suppose.

1 hour ago, TexasTroll said:

Any Mexican Resturant  that won’t make a cheese quesadilla cuz it’s not on the menu is a HARD pass for me.

Rosa’s has great cheese enchiladas. I used to get them and tamales when I was fresh out of college and working in West Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Wishbone said:

It was still there as of a couple of months ago. They added onto the existing tiny building, and now it's pretty big and looks kind of nice from the street -- which takes away a lot of the "hole-in-the-wall" feeling from when you used to enter through the bar and sit on cases of beer while waiting for a table.  Good and margaritas seemed about the same as always.

Edited by txfight
  • Hook 'Em 1