Deion Sanders "Coach Prime" Now At Colorado

Don Johnson

51 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I don’t hate him. I’m wayyyyy over the endless hype machine around him. 

I can see this. Hotel lobby TVs were on some show and it was about Deion being ready for an nfl head coach position. That’s insane to me

Edited by Zepol87

I love the “if he’s such a great coach why didn’t a great program hire him”  reasoning. Same reason coaches are slow to innovate. If you fail, and there’s a pretty good chance you will either as an AD picking a new coach or as that new coach taking over a losing program, you get more time if you fail with a conventional pick or system than with something radical.  Hell look at how long it took for coaches to begin to go for it routinely on 4th and short? You think the probability of converting suddenly changed? 

Sanders may not end up being a great coach at this level, but he’s interesting and changing the way coaches look at their roster management (which arguably isn’t a good thing but is/was inevitable) 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I love the “if he’s such a great coach why didn’t a great program hire him”  reasoning. Same reason coaches are slow to innovate. If you fail, and there’s a pretty good chance you will either as an AD picking a new coach or as that new coach taking over a losing program, you get more time if you fail with a conventional pick or system than with something radical.  Hell look at how long it took for coaches to begin to go for it routinely on 4th and short? You think the probability of converting suddenly changed? 

Sanders may not end up being a great coach at this level, but he’s interesting and changing the way coaches look at their roster management (which arguably isn’t a good thing but is/was inevitable) 

Exactly.  CU was in a "what have we got to lose" place.  They'd sucked for so long no top level coach would have wanted that reclamation project.  CU was in a place where if it failed, they were in the same place they'd been for awhile.  But you also knew Prime was going to be able to recruit like nobody's business, so even if he couldn't coach, he'd have the talent.  

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

I can see this. Hotel lobby TVs were on some show and it was about Deion being ready for an nfl head coach position. That’s insane to me

Per my point above, the NFL is all about coaching chops.  Deion is about recruiting.  He's made for the college game.  Will be interesting to see if he can get the NIL machine ramped up in Boulder.

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Exactly.  CU was in a "what have we got to lose" place.  They'd sucked for so long no top level coach would have wanted that reclamation project.  CU was in a place where if it failed, they were in the same place they'd been for awhile.  But you also knew Prime was going to be able to recruit like nobody's business, so even if he couldn't coach, he'd have the talent.  

UCLA sounds pretty similar actually.  Obviously much better recruiting grounds and your lows haven't been to CU levels.  But, UCLA has been pretty mediocre for 30 years and is overshadowed by USC.  Deion in LA would be quite an event.  

I like Deion and hope he does well. I think he might change the NIL game by moving beyond the eager pickings of CU to start sucking more corporate money and unrelated fanboy money to the program.

I hope he solidifies the position of CEO head coaches and derails the usual “hot coordinator” paradigm in hiring coaches. I don’t like HCs calling plays or being a coordinator. Deion hired a solid roster of coaches to teach his players.

He got a great win in a game that was also lost by horrific coaching and sloppy play by TCU. He will lose games as he’s gonna need depth. Some parents and players will chafe at his tough coach talk and zero tolerance of bullshit so he won’t recruit everyone.

If he succeeds at CU he’ll get an SEC opportunity. Would he follow Saban? Arkansas when Sam Pittman retires? Hugh Freeze when he finds the hookers again? LSU when they run off that jockey? And how long does he do it? He can return to broadcasting anytime and make Romo money.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

image.gif.9216240cd859f3c3ebdb1c18fb483a7a.gif

Showing your ass.

Yes, I know about Charlie Strong.  Congrats on having one black head coach in your entire university's history!

There's being physically black and there's being Prime and all that comes with that (you know, acting black).  I don't think any school in the south would tolerate Prime being who he is.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 5

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

Yes, I know about Charlie Strong.  Congrats on having one black head coach in your entire university's history!

There's being physically black and there's being Prime and all that comes with that (you know, acting black).  I don't think any school in the south would tolerate Prime being who he is.  

That's just bullshit you're telling yourself to confirm the narrative in your head that you'll keep Deion coaching at CU for the foreseeable future. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

That's just bullshit you're telling yourself to confirm the narrative in your head that you'll keep Deion coaching at CU for the foreseeable future. 

Maybe it is bullshit.  It's my opinion.  We'll see if I'm right.  I just don't see somewhere like Alabama or Texas (or aggy) hiring him.  There's just SO MUCH racism everywhere down there.  I hear it every time I come down to Texas for work, and it's shocking.  I'd bet on him going somewhere like Ohio St or Michigan before he goes to the SEC.  But I could be wrong, we'll see.  I know he won't go somewhere just for money.  

I'm just gonna enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts.  I have no illusions that he's staying at CU forever.  At this point, I'd be thrilled if we get 3-4 years out of him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 4

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Maybe it is bullshit.  It's my opinion.  We'll see if I'm right.  I just don't see somewhere like Alabama or Texas (or aggy) hiring him.  There's just SO MUCH racism everywhere down there.  I hear it every time I come down to Texas for work, and it's shocking.  I'd bet on him going somewhere like Ohio St or Michigan before he goes to the SEC.  But I could be wrong, we'll see.  I know he won't go somewhere just for money.  

I'm just gonna enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts.  I have no illusions that he's staying at CU forever.  At this point, I'd be thrilled if we get 3-4 years out of him.

I reject the premise that Texas has some egregious amount of racism to the level that said racism would prevent the institution from hiring a guy who you're basically saying is "too black" for the program. I get that there's no convincing you or others who need to believe something like that, but yeah, that's just more bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

I reject the premise that Texas has some egregious amount of racism to the level that said racism would prevent the institution from hiring a guy who you're basically saying is "too black" for the program. I get that there's no convincing you or others who need to believe something like that, but yeah, that's just more bullshit.

You need to spend some time outside Texas if you don't think Texas has a lot of racism.  Whether it's too much, only Prime can say.  

• Fuck You 3

4 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Wait, so Charlie Strong isn’t “as black” as Deion because of his more muted demeanor? Man, that’s quite the stereotyping from a fan of such a racially progressive program 

Dude, I went to college in Texas, have wife's family in Texas and I'm down there probably 1-2 times a quarter for business.  I'm well aware of the level of casual racism that exists in Texas vs. Colorado.  It's really high, btw.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

And, if he turns Colorado around then he fits CDC's prerequisite for success at 2 programs.  If Steve flamed out and Deion continues to improve CU Texas would absolutely consider him.  

@Chewbaccathere's racism everywhere, dude.  Nobody cares.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

Dude, I went to college in Texas, have wife's family in Texas and I'm down there probably 1-2 times a quarter for business.  I'm well aware of the level of casual racism that exists in Texas vs. Colorado.  It's really high, btw.

Higher than determining someone’s “blackness” by how boisterous they are?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

"Them dumb Texans are all racist!" 

"Them local yokel Texans never leave the state and don't know no better!"

How many other silly, stereotypical tropes are you going to, while straight-faced, throw out there? Do you think most of us ride a horse to work? Have tumbleweeds in the backyard?

Racism and personal prejudices are everywhere. I'm not disputing the notion that there's plenty of racism in Texas. I am rejecting the premise that it is so rampant that Texas couldn't or wouldn't hire Deion Sanders if they deemed him the best candidate for the HC role. 

I don't know what kind of work you're in that has you walking into racist rallies around the watercoolers in Texas, but that shit isn't normal and instances of racism are usually dealt with immediate terminations, just like anywhere else in the civilized world. Attempting to imply otherwise is unhinged.

They're not stereotypes, my man.  They're what I hear and observe when I visit Texas several times a year.  At dinners, lunches, when having drinks, etc.  But hey, keep fighting the good fight and tell me I'm wrong!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

20 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Texas is not a racist institution at all. That's a fucking ridiculous claim. For starters, our current head coach's wife is black, Einstein. Texas may have some old white guy boosters that are a little racist but the university doesn't reflect that at any level. 

Alabama may or may not still have some institutional racism up the ranks. I don't really know. They've obviously never had a black head coach in football. Two of their last 3 bball coaches have been black. They also care a lot more about winning than Texas does.

Again - I don't think Deion gets hired at either place unless he puts together an unassailable track record of success - but it isn't because he's black. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

We tolerate winning. If Deion came here and won it would be fine.

Tom Herman showed we will put up with quite a bit.

7 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

They're not stereotypes, my man.  They're what I hear and observe when I visit Texas several times a year.  At dinners, lunches, when having drinks, etc.  But hey, keep fighting the good fight and tell me I'm wrong!

Generalization via anecdote is part of the problem with things like racism in the first place. It is flat out hilarious that you are unironically doing the same thing, in multiple instances, on this thread. 

Also, you may want to look into switching out to some different friends, family and coworkers if you're constantly coming to Texas and getting runover by wild racists at dinner parties and business lunches. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I understand there's racism and racists in Texas (and other parts of America).  But my God, man, where are you going where several times a year you're spending so much quality time with racists?  Vidor?  Jasper? 

I recommend hitting up the Food and Travel forum.  Folks there can point you to several restaurants and bars across this state where I bet you can enjoy a good meal and top-shelf cocktail without hearing a bunch of jokes about Black people.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I understand there's racism and racists in Texas (and other parts of America).  But my God, man, where are you going where several times a year you're spending so much quality time with racists?  Vidor?  Jasper? 

I recommend hitting up the Food and Travel forum.  Folks there can point you to several restaurants and bars across this state where I bet you can enjoy a good meal and top-shelf cocktail without hearing a bunch of jokes about Black people.

One well known poster in F&T can even point you to a spot where real life African Americans may be spotted reading a financial newspaper 😱

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

This is a pretty racist comment. What does “acting black” mean? 

Edited by Chili dog
  • Hook 'Em 2

Today I learned that there’s black people, then there’s black people who act black. Taught to me by a Colorado fan all While claiming not to be racist. Then you can really stick your ass cheeks up to the window and claim that the entire south would never hire one of those black people who act real black because the south is racist. 

dave chappelle smile GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Every political map and University of Texas demographic polls I’ve looked at has shown Austin and UT to be heavily blue, but some dude from Colorado has surrounded himself with racist relatives and coworkers so what do the stats know. 

After reading enough of the Colorado dude’s posts, the conclusion I’m drawing is that HE is, in fact, the racist. And it only makes sense, considering all the racists with which he surrounds himself. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1