Deion Sanders "Coach Prime" Now At Colorado

Don Johnson

Deion was often described as soft when he played. That he avoided contact and shit from the grumpy old men of the 1980s and 1990s. Now he is the grumpy old man doing the same shit. Funny how that works.
I remember him telling some critics of his tackling skills that he was making business decisions.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Deion was often described as soft when he played. That he avoided contact and shit from the grumpy old men of the 1980s and 1990s. Now he is the grumpy old man doing the same shit. Funny how that works.

Deion did't like contact or tackling in general, but he was a helluva cover man and punt returner. Among the best ever, no doubt.

3 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Deion did't like contact or tackling in general, but he was a helluva cover man and punt returner. Among the best ever, no doubt.

Absolutely. He was a great player, no disputing that. I hated that he was always playing for the other team.

He was still considered soft though and disliked by the old guard when he played. So kind of funny to see him taking on that role and calling out the soft "kids of today".

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Call me a big softy, but that 60 Minutes clip made me a believer.

His 6-0 record makes me a believer. 

I was sort of intrigued to see if his team had a shot at the title but it appears the SWAC doesn't play in the FCS tournament for some stupid reason. So that's lame.

• Hook 'Em 1

IMO only - the SWAC knew it’s place in regards to the FCS playoffs. As a McNeese supporter (grad) from the late ‘90s, we’d always try to schedule a non-conference game with SWAC members, because for one- the “gate” and/or attendance would be nice. Even during our “mediocre” years, we’d play PV, TSU, Southern, Grambling, Alcorn, etc. and the margin of victory was usually +20 home or away.

The SWAC always scheduled their Championship game the weekend that started the FCS playoffs, so that by itself made them ineligible for an FCS run through the playoffs. They were content having their Big Game in the NO Superdome and on National TV and that was all that mattered.

Hook’em!

On 10/18/2022 at 12:04 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

I watched the 60 M segment last night.  First, I had no clue DS had serious leg / health issues.  Isn’t it amazing that his legs were primary in his gaining success and now they’re taken away?  

Certainly DS is now relying on  his smarts and charisma to improve a football program and ultimately a university.  Calling Walmart to successfully fund improvements is impressive.  

He will draw fire along the way and  folks will hate on him all per usual.   I’m sure he doesn’t give a damn and that is the right attitude when you have a vision and a job to do.  

Good for Deion.  I hope he does well.  

• Hook 'Em 3

DS fan here.  I remember when he was with the Cowboys he heard enough about how he didn't tackle.  All true of course.  So finally one game he decided to show everybody he could tackle.  He came up quicker than anyone thought possible and made a tackle, in the backfield for a loss. 

I really liked his interview one time when he told the interviewer on punt returns he just wanted everybody to get down, and out of the way.  He didn't need/want any blocking, just get out of the way.   

How many TDs did he score on that Monday night game?  I think he scored 2 returning kicks and one interception or something. 3 total is what I remember.  

Truly the origin of the term "shut-down corner". 

14 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

His 6-0 record makes me a believer. 

I was sort of intrigued to see if his team had a shot at the title but it appears the SWAC doesn't play in the FCS tournament for some stupid reason. So that's lame.

This is incorrect—sort of.

The SWAC doesn’t have an auto bid, but they can be selected as an at-large bid.

The primary reason for no auto-bid is because of their shared agreement with the SWAC/MEAC bowl game in Atlanta.

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

This is incorrect—sort of.

The SWAC doesn’t have an auto bid, but they can be selected as an at-large bid.

The primary reason for no auto-bid is because of their shared agreement with the SWAC/MEAC bowl game in Atlanta.

Ah ok. Wikipedia had it wrong. It said both the Ivy League and SWAC "opted out" of the playoff altogether. That didn't make much sense except as some kind of statement that the Ivy League and SWAC are somehow above the rest of FCS.

6 hours ago, deadshank said:

He will draw fire along the way and  folks will hate on him all per usual.   I’m sure he doesn’t give a damn and that is the right attitude when you have a vision and a job to do.  

Good for Deion.  I hope he does well.  

I just want to clarify, I love Deion. I loved him then and I love what he is doing now. I just found his graduation to grumpy old man status funny, speaking as a grumpy old man here.

18 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I just want to clarify, I love Deion. I loved him then and I love what he is doing now. I just found his graduation to grumpy old man status funny, speaking as a grumpy old man here.

My comments weren’t directed toward you (not being snarky), as they were directed to the professional hater / aggrieved class that always bitch about everyone, everything and find no good in anything unless it’s within their own sphere of influence and they get all the credit and no blame.  

The corollary to this group are those that forever hate a person  (“he’s a piece of shit”) because they did something “way back when” that was wrong, off putting or ill advised and must forever be cast out, derided and hounded to their graves with no chance to achieve forgiveness.   

We have those types on this board.  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Sports radio station The Fan in Dallas reporting Former Cowboy Deion Sanders has accepted the Nebraska job according to source.

Haven’t seen it anywhere else.

What? Noooo!

Say it ain't so Deion. I love him as this badass SWAC coach.

Edited by Valmy77

Nebraska first really became a prominent program wrt Texas while Neon Deion was playing for the Cowboys back in the mid 90s. I can't imagine many people then would have projected him as the future Huskers coach. Here's hoping he and the bugeaters are happy together and that we never have to listen to their crying again.

1 minute ago, Magus Ossis said:

Nebraska first really became a prominent program wrt Texas while Neon Deion was playing for the Cowboys back in the mid 90s. I can't imagine many people then would have projected him as the future Huskers coach. Here's hoping he and the bugeaters are happy together and that we never have to listen to their crying again.

Really? How old are you?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Seems like an odd scoop for The Fan in Dallas.

Deon had his Prime Academy in Dallas, was an early investor in Prosper when it was farm land and has tons of acreage in East Texas. I think he still probably has a lot of business associates (lawyers, managers, agents, etc.) in Dallas where all the shop is talked.

Edited by MeerkatBong

On 10/18/2022 at 10:43 AM, Fudge Nuggets said:

Every gen is softer than the previous.

Water is wet.

Maybe from a physical/manual labor sense in many ways but this current generation of young people has had to deal with the beginning of the rapid decline of American prosperity interspersed with a pandemic and now rampant inflation and loss of social programs that helped their grandparents and great grandparents 40 to 60 years ago. 

They're not having an easy go of things. My teenage kid's generation now in general has it a lot worse than I had it in the 90s and early 2000s

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Landomatic said:

They’re the Cowboys flagship station. Announced it as “former Cowboy Deion Sanders…” I’m sure ole Prime still has a lot of Cowboys connections

I was more speaking from the basis of there now being an entire industry devoted to this stuff, and they aren't a part of it.  Dallas sports radio gets their college scoops from guys like Chip Brown they don't have connections to things like this despite Deon being a Cowboy for years.

17 hours ago, mwaadeeb said:

Seems like a smart move for both sides. Nebraska can step off their fast train to irrelevance and Deon can high step to a serious platform (with a long chain and good money). Man he's fast.

I disagree strongly with this take.

But did 'The Fan' actually report this? Even if they just made it up, their report should be making more waves than just a post on Surly. I don't see this being discussed anywhere.

Edited by Valmy77

44 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I disagree strongly with this take.

But did 'The Fan' actually report this? Even if they just made it up, their report should be making more waves than just a post on Surly. I don't see this being discussed anywhere.

What's you counter-argument? I see no downside for either party. If he flames, they can easily blame the other side. The positives are clear.

1 hour ago, mwaadeeb said:

What's you counter-argument? I see no downside for either party. If he flames, they can easily blame the other side. The positives are clear.

Sanders has made himself a big star by being the new face of the new SWAC, a conference with a great deal of history and social prestige and all that.

In Nebraska he will be an outsider and might have to do some work to fit in and the job he will be taking on is extremely hard, whereas in Jackson State he has it set up to succeed for the forseeable future without much fuss.

For Nebraska he is a relatively unproven flash in the pan FCS coach. They already took the relatively unproven guy who had flash in Frost. Now they should overpay Deion to repeat the process? I get they are in a desperate situation and all but they already pushed the panic button once. I think they need a workhorse program building guy not the latest flashy thing.

It seems to me both Sanders and Nebraska would be repeating critical mistakes.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Sanders has made himself a big star by being the new face of the new SWAC, a conference with a great deal of history and social prestige and all that.

In Nebraska he will be an outsider and might have to do some work to fit in and the job he will be taking on is extremely hard, whereas in Jackson State he has it set up to succeed for the forseeable future without much fuss.

For Nebraska he is a relatively unproven flash in the pan FCS coach. They already took the relatively unproven guy who had flash in Frost. Now they should overpay Deion to repeat the process? I get they are in a desperate situation and all but they already pushed the panic button once. I think they need a workhorse program building guy not the latest flashy thing.

It seems to me both Sanders and Nebraska would be repeating critical mistakes.

Some good points but comparing Frost to Prime is not one of them. I just think Nebraska is so fucked they need a big change in their recruiting narrative, like BIG. 

• immamac changed the title to Deion Sanders "Coach Prime" Now At Colorado