No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]

Parliament

37 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

I was watching this game at a Twin Cities sports bar. When the first drive of the 3rd quarter stalled and the Gophers kicked a FG to go up 38-7, everyone at my table looked at each other and said, at the same time, "This isn't enough." Sure as shit, it wasn't. Rumor has it that the president of the University ordered the firing on the way home from Phoenix. The firing was announced on New Years Eve, and I vaguely remember getting very drunk celebrating. 

RIP ya pirate. College football is a much less fun place today. 

Isn’t celebrating the firing of Glen Mason a little like Nebraska fans celebrating the firing of Frank Solich? Was the program better off without him?

Good Lord, Aggies. Show some respect. At least quote the man correctly…….
“It's one of the greatest places to play on earth,” Leach said at SEC Media Days. “That stadium — when I was at Tech — that's one of the Carnegie Halls of football there. Kyle Field, first of all, is gigantic and holds a ton of people. The grass is impeccable. The Aggies are always highly motivated. It's a fun place to play. I've got some great memories of our games at Kyle Field over the years.
Then Leach offered up a bit of a parting shot. “It was a fantastic experience,” Leach said. “It helped that we won most of them.”

https://247sports.com/Article/Mississippi-State-football-Mike-Leach-sounds-off-on-playing-at-Texas-AM-Kyle-Field-168074839/

Aggy would like to put that quote next to the Fish Tale quote from General Patton during WWII.

Hook’em!
  • Hook 'Em 1

Someone has to be writing a 30 for 30 or movie about Mike Leach. He’s too much of a polarizing character not too. Adversaries hated him because he was honest and went for the jugular, while others loved him because he seemed genuine, and was interested in life. Id think that money helped fuel his curiosities but it probably didn’t change him. He seems like he prob was pretty easy going no matter where he was and who he was entertaining or around. But from reading thoughts and emotions today, he was an extremely interesting person to let this subject matter not become a feature.  There’s even spectacular titles floating in the webs all day attributing to his character.  Sad day knowing that football and the world lost an interesting larger than life figure. But I look forward to seeing his legacy revived on a screen somewhere soon. 

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

like others, I dont understand why this hurts so bad.

He was the pain in the ass team you had to play every year, and you knew every 4 years or so his team was going to take you to the fucking last second, and you would lose a game you shouldnt.

maybe its because he hated aggy just as much as us, maybe it was the pirate stuff... or maybe because the dude could turn around any piss poor college football team and make them a 7,8,9 win team in just a few years

that takes real fucking talent.

RIP Pirate... I will make sure to pour one out in your honor.

he was an authentic man something that is so rare so unique that it sticks with you as a person.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Anybody have the story about how his players dreaded player meetings because when they’re ready to leave, a player could ask a question that could turn into a 45 min answer about something totally irrelevant to the question?

That was a classic

Page 28 near the bottom. I asked the same thing yesterday 

14 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

You make me feel like a heel.  I mean it's one thing to hear that Harry Morgan had been alive 30 years after you'd guess he died, and we could have awkwardly asked the caretaker to shake his hand, maybe. But now I'm learning that anyone could approach Leach and get him for 5 to 45 minutes. 

• Hook 'Em 3

If anything else, the last 48 hours have shown me I wasn't the only one who loved what Mike Leach brought to the table of life. His impact on the game of football at all levels is immeasurable, but more of the stories coming out are focused upon his humanity, and love for others- without having to tell someone how much he cares for others.  I respect that a lot.

His intellectual curiosity made him a trail blazer in many directions, but that paled in comparison with his willingness to visit with any man and get to know what makes them tick, or what was important to them.  A big insight into someone's character is how a man treats someone from whom he can gain nothing. Well, The Pirate was seeking understanding or shared experience, but he would engage anyone in conversation just to take that journey with them. He cared a lot.

Mike Leach was not perfect and he certainly has his detractors.  I understand it, but it also makes somebody very suspect in my mind when they shared what they disliked about him.  It almost always ended up with "He didn't conform.  He should have not made  people so uncomfortable."   SMDH.  These folks couldn't acknowledge or accept the very thing that made Mike Leach special-  his unapologetic commitment to being himself, and being honest with you.

I count my mom, my grandparents, my wife, and my sons as my true heroes/ inspirations in this life. If there is a public figure, with whose philosophies towards leadership and people and endeavors I agree, it would be Mike Leach.  He would be the first to say he is no damned hero, but he sure as hell made this world and a crapton of people's lives better.  We should all be so fortunate to be able to say that.

RIP Mike Leach.  You were and always will be one of a kind.

Edited by slorch

Finally found it. Glasses will be raised to Mike Leach at Flora-Bama for many, many nights to come. 

From AL.com-

Mike Leach once raved Flora-Bama ‘tough to beat’ for best party of his life

By Howard Koplowitz | hkoplowitz@al.com

Out of every corner of the country Mike Leach had been to in a life that spanned several college coaching stops, the late Mississippi State coach once said it was a beachside institution straddling Alabama and Florida that was “tough to beat” for the best party he had ever been to.

“The place is called Flora-Bama … right on the border of Alabama and Florida, and you could go in there and there’d be like three different bands playing, one band slightly different from the next,” Leach said in a 2017 clip shared on social media after his death Monday at 61. 

“You could get one of those sawed-off boxes like they put the case of beer in, heaping with crawfish.. for like five bucks,” Leach continued in the clip as he raved about the Flora-Bama.

“And then they had this triple-level deck out there overlooking the Gulf of Mexico in the middle of the night all the stars, of course the band playing, all the people hanging around all day,” he said. “Fantastic people watching, plus you had crawfish, plus you’re out there on the end of that deck and it’s just gorgeous.

“That’d be tough to beat, on the right night, which I actually like weeknights better because [it’s] too slammed on the weekends, but I’d have to say a really good weeknight at Flora-Bama,” the coach said.

Leach was known for his pass-happy Air Raid offenses, wide-ranging interests — he wrote a book about Native American leader Geronimo, had a passion for pirates, taught a class about insurgent warfare — andrambling, off-the-cuff news conferences -- including being asked about candy corn, hypothetical mascot fights and the best party he’s ever been to.

Edited by Bama Llama
Dusty eyes
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Lol might as well be right? 

Another point in that is that Lincoln told Leach to pass altogether on Adam James...

Both Lincoln and Bennie Wylie did. Leach was the only one that I read about who tried to get him. I think he saw the potential of ESPN exposure, but it blew up in spectacular fashion when the BoR wanted to oust him before the bonus. I still think Tech wins at least a conference championship if Kent Hance and the rest could've learned to just STFU. 

11 minutes ago, Tommy Shelby said:

Both Lincoln and Bennie Wylie did. Leach was the only one that I read about who tried to get him. I think he saw the potential of ESPN exposure, but it blew up in spectacular fashion when the BoR wanted to oust him before the bonus. I still think Tech wins at least a conference championship if Kent Hance and the rest could've learned to just STFU. 

He was more popular than they were.  They resented him for that.  Also, Art Briles stood up on a table and pleaded for Leach to take Wes Welker.  Win some, lose some.

Leach was one of a kind.  I used to dread the week Texas would play Tech every year when he was coaching there.  He truly was a mad genius, and he almost single-handedly made football more entertaining with his innovations.  Sad I never made it down to Key West to perhaps randomly bump into him at some bar down there.  He seemed like he would have been an amazing person to talk to.  His quotes and takes were legendary.  He will definitely be missed.  Pour one out for the Pirate.

🤘

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

At least they didn’t publicly celebrate that Leach won’t be around to beat their fake army asses for another decade. 

They are high fiving each other and whooping in private, at the moment. They think it means they might finally beat Mississippi State regularly. 

• Like 2